(Topic ID: 329643)

My guess Godzilla is highest selling Stern ever?

By rai

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 60 posts
  • 30 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by flynnibus
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2023-01-19 at 11.10.54 AM (resized).png
    Owned2 (resized).png
    There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 1 year ago

I was look at the numbers of pins in people’s collections on Pinside. Just looking around to see what’s low and what’s high.

I understand that this is not 100% accurate because some don’t put up their collections and lots are owned maybe not on pinside at all.

But anyway without looking at every pin but just a sample and I add all the versions together, for example SM including Black SM and SM vault.

Some pins like TNA are highly represented by Pinside owners more than half known are on Pinside.

I may fill in more or if anyone wants to look and add some other pins. I just look at Pinside map/ owners listed in their collections.

TZ 2942
    TAF 2600

Godzilla 2500
    JP 2100
    Met 1800
    LotR 1800
    DP 1600
    Maiden 1550
    Acdc 1350
    Tspp 1300

Low sellers
    Tron 800
    BM66 695
    Elvira HOH 630
    R&M 500
    TS4 396
    TBL 396
    TNA 389

#2 1 year ago

Just looking at TS4 that’s got to be a huge flop for JJP selling less than R&M at least on Pinside (I’m sure they sold a bunch off the Pinside) a missed opportunity by Disney pushing their worst film and characters. Plus the huge price increase and no standard edition.

#3 1 year ago

Purely due to the fact that stern hasn’t been able to pump out the numbers they used to, I’d say AC/DC or MET still hold the crown.

#4 1 year ago

I don’t have any hard data but it’s hard to know how accurate these numbers line up to real life. I mean is there around 2x more DP than Tron? That feels right to me with how hard it is to find Tron on the market.

Godzilla is 4x more than Elvira that’s likely l, I have a friend that said he’s never seen an Elvira. I’ve seen 3 Elvira in the wild but also seen 3 different TBL even tho that’s a small selling pin. I’ve played 3 different TS4 another small seller.

#5 1 year ago

AC/DC, ST and SW have to be higher than GZ.
    Those were cranked out several years and rerun again for location or to meet demand in home collections.

#6 1 year ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Purely due to the fact that stern hasn’t been able to pump out the numbers they used to, I’d say AC/DC or MET still hold the crown.

I agree that it’s more likely to line up the current pins like Maiden and Elvira and BM66 to Godzilla than to compare to older pins like Tspp or even AcDc

#7 1 year ago
    Quoted from Vino:

AC/DC, ST and SW have to be higher than GZ.
    Those were cranked out several years and rerun again for location or to meet demand in home collections.

ACDC and MET yes, IMDN also potentially, ST and SW I seriously doubt.

GZ will get there though, it's just about time.

#8 1 year ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

I always thought that LOTR was Stern's all-time most produced pin......

#9 1 year ago
    Quoted from AUKraut:

I've heard TSPP, MET, and ACDC a few times

#10 1 year ago
    Quoted from AUKraut:

I could see that as well.

#11 1 year ago

I was waiting for Godzilla Premium to overtake LOTR on the Owned/Wished list https://pinside.com/pinball/top-100/various/owners .

Godzilla Premium is currently (1/19/2023) 67 pins away from being the 5th most owned pin of all time on pinside even without counting the pros and LEs. Everything above that is a 90s Bally/Williams, and those are skewed higher by some derelict accounts that have not been updated in over a decade.

#12 1 year ago

Pirates and Ghostbusters both sold extremely well. Hard to not see these in the top 5 ever for stern

#13 1 year ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

I was waiting for Godzilla Premium to overtake LOTR on the Owned/Wished list https://pinside.com/pinball/top-100/various/owners .
    Godzilla Premium is currently (1/19/2023) 67 pins away from being the 5th most owned pin of all time on pinside even without counting the pros and LEs. Everything above that is a 90s Bally/Williams, and those are skewed higher by some derelict accounts that have not been updated in over a decade.

Hey I didn’t even know there was an ownership list.

#14 1 year ago
    Quoted from rai:

Hey I didn’t even know there was an ownership list.

https://pinside.com/pinball/top-100/various/owners

Owned2 (resized).pngOwned2 (resized).png
    #15 1 year ago

I'm sure Godzilla is moving up the ranks but theres no way its topped LOTR, TSPP, or MET yet. All of those games had huge runs and reruns spanning multiple years. Godzilla has been out for like 1 year so far and it was a year were supplies were very limited. I'm sure AC/DC is also there in the mix somewhere. I don't think any other game thats come out in the past 7 years are touching those just yet.

#16 1 year ago

Pirates and TSPP says 6,000 produced. If that’s the case they have to be the top at the moment unless acdc or met were produced in that volume. Lotr says 5100 produced. Has there been that many GZ, Met or Acdc produced?

Roughly 2100 GB on pinside and SW is at roughly 2200

#17 1 year ago
    Quoted from Psw757:

Pirates and TSPP says 6,000 produced. If that’s the case they have to be the top at the moment unless acdc or met were produced in that volume. Lotr says 5100 produced. Has there been that many GZ, Met or Acdc produced?
    Roughly 2100 GB on pinside and SW is at roughly 2200

It’s my understand that both MET and AC/DC are well over 10k produced each.

#18 1 year ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

It’s my understand that both MET and AC/DC are well over 10k produced each.

If that’s the case nothing will touch them. Been some rumors of a vault Met too.

#19 1 year ago

I’m still trying to figure out the love for Godzilla. I’m a Godzilla movie fan the old and new. But the game is just meh for me. I hate the floaty plunge. The shots are fine. I don’t like the magnet grab the way the ball just kinda rocks back and forth and then dribbles off. The Go Go Godzilla song is just bad. And the callout voice actors in my opinion are one of the worst. Walking Dead cringe worthy voices. I guess they went with the campy vibe, but I always took Godzilla seriously as a kid and guess I continued as I aged. In my opinion, Avengers is Elwin’s best shooter and flow. I think the Avengers tower beats the magnet thing in Godzilla. Callouts are pretty rough on both, though. I’m not bashing the game. But as a Godzilla fan and a pinball fan I just can’t see the love for this game. Definitely would take Medieval Madness over it. Great callouts, music, mech, and shots.

#20 1 year ago

Yeah. Shouldn’t take Godzilla seriously at all. Haha. Campy at its finest.

Godzilla is very good about always having you in a spot to be close to something awesome. You are never on the same path. Always something enticing you to go a different direction. The layout is a breath of fresh air too.

#21 1 year ago

I think it just came along at the right time. Elwin was hot and lots of new people in the hobby looking for the newest game. In the end, there will be many on the market for less than retail when the shine wears off. And honestly, that is how it should be for all used games.

#22 1 year ago

My guess would be Star Trek or Iron man didn't they re-make those three times?

#23 1 year ago

Dunno, Star Wars seems super common, been ran since 2017 and has runs every year it seems. It seems to be in every major barcade or stern heavy arcade location around. Kind of feel it's probably one of their top sellers even if it's its got iffy reception on Pinside.

#24 1 year ago
    Quoted from Crile1:

I think it just came along at the right time. Elwin was hot and lots of new people in the hobby looking for the newest game. In the end, there will be many on the market for less than retail when the shine wears off. And honestly, that is how it should be for all used games.

It’s also objectively a very good game.

#25 1 year ago

You cant look at owners collection numbers at any accuracy. My collection and many others on pinside do not reflect what we have. I also use my wish list to keep an eye on the market, even on pins that I own. You cant keep a pin in your collection and on your wish list.

Quoted from Crile1:

The shots are fine. I don’t like the magnet grab the way the ball just kinda rocks back and forth and then dribbles off. The Go Go Godzilla song is just bad. And the callout voice actors in my opinion are one of the worst.

I disagree with everything you said here. Your my polar opposite. But its good to have your own opinion and I wont bash you for that.

#26 1 year ago
    Quoted from Crile1:

Because all of the a-list games from the past 30 years are selling for less than the original MSRP? Right.

#27 1 year ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

I've heard Star Wars is Stern's best-selling ever, which makes sense as its been in nonstop production since 2017.

There must be thousands of one-owner mancave pins featuring a Stern Star Wars.

"Stern should stop with the licensed themes and get creative!"

#28 1 year ago

It’s certainly becoming one the most modded games.

#29 1 year ago
    Quoted from acedanger:

My guess would be Star Trek or Iron man didn't they re-make those three times?

Iron Man got remade because they only made 1000 initially. It was a flop, but then it became super popular years after it was out of production. Due to rising demand/price & ease of manufacture, they vaulted it. I don’t think each Vault release was more than 500, though.

#30 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:I've heard Star Wars is Stern's best-selling ever, which makes sense as its been in nonstop production since 2017.
    There must be thousands of one-owner mancave pins featuring a Stern Star Wars.

I don’t doubt this one bit. Long production run, alternate comic art, home edition. Lots of Star Wars being sold.

If Stern wanted to do a real vault POTC would be one to crank out.

#31 1 year ago
    Quoted from Crile1:

Ya know, I know collectors who hate Addams Family, too. Doesn’t change the fact that it’s great, people love it, lots exist, and it’s expensive.

The only Godzillas that will lose their shine are Pros that owners will sell in order buy the Premium.

Godzilla’s popularity is not a trend. Every old school collector I know loves it & owns it. It’s legit fantastic in every regard. Your loss if you can’t feel that.

#32 1 year ago

I'm a pro owner & I'm not sold on premium; I feel the bridge & building slow the game down the Mechazilla is nice but not enough to warrant the extra $$. Also, I feel the backglass art on pro is better too.

#33 1 year ago
    Quoted from acedanger:

I'm a pro owner & I'm not sold on premium; I feel the bridge & building slow the game down the Mechazilla is nice but not enough to warrant the extra $$. Also, I feel the backglass art on pro is better too.

Glad you enjoy it. Win-win for everyone! The Pro is far too static & lifeless for me. Going from LE to Pro is like playing a broken game, IMO. GZ Prem/LE is as close as Stern has gotten to a B/W game since the SAM days.

#34 1 year ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

My memory is that normally close-lipped Stern did once go on record that ACDC was their best selling game. This was years ago, when it was still a relatively new title.

Anyone else remember that? Hard to look it up.

#35 1 year ago

A lot of Sterns change the layout with Premiums vs Pros. ACDC, RUSH, Star Trek etc. Zilla has the same identical layout so how that can be lifeless I don't understand.

#36 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Glad you enjoy it. Win-win for everyone! The Pro is far too static & lifeless for me. Going from LE to Pro is like playing a broken game, IMO. GZ Prem/LE is as close as Stern has gotten to a B/W game since the SAM days.

Of course, the lose-lose scenario for everybody is exactly the opposite: There are people who swear by pro versions because they play faster; I always feel like I'm playing an incomplete game. Then the same people that complain about premium/LE games being too stop-and-go will complain that games like SWLE and SthLE are too barren and don't have enough toys...all of which slow the game down. You really can't win sometimes...

#37 1 year ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

My memory is that normally close-lipped Stern did once go on record that ACDC was their best selling game. This was years ago, when it was still a relatively new title.

I remember that too. I can't find the thread, but as I recall reading, Gary convened Stern employees and congratulated them on AC/DC becoming the most produced game in Stern's history. I also seem to recall him joking about roads paved with them down under.

#38 1 year ago
    Screen Shot 2023-01-19 at 11.10.54 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2023-01-19 at 11.10.54 AM (resized).png
    #39 1 year ago
    Quoted from acedanger:

A lot of Sterns change the layout with Premiums vs Pros. ACDC, RUSH, Star Trek etc. Zilla has the same identical layout so how that can be lifeless I don't understand.

The building doesn’t move. The bridge doesn’t move. The Mecha Godzilla doesn’t have the moving ramp/shield. Moving features that cause change states = life. I like games that evoke 90’s B/W sensibility. Interactive moving mechanical features.

#40 1 year ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

I remember Jack saying TSPP sold 10k & that’s why he wanted that team of Balcer & Keith for WOZ….but then a few people said that number was way too high. TSPP’s we’re everywhere, though. Locations, homes, auctions…they def made a ton. If not 10k, 8k is reasonable to assume. I think AC/DC cracked 10k.

#41 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

The building doesn’t move. The bridge doesn’t move. The Mecha Godzilla doesn’t have the moving ramp/shield. Moving features that cause change states = life. I like games that evoke 90’s B/W sensibility. Interactive moving mechanical features.

The building is okay but doesn't change the way the game plays & IMO the bridge dancing is stupid. The only thing that I miss is the Mechazilla. I disagree still not even close to what Bally/Williams did back in the day better but non-comparable!

#42 1 year ago
    Quoted from acedanger:

The building is okay but doesn't change the way the game plays & IMO the bridge dancing is stupid. The only thing that I miss is the Mechazilla. I disagree still not even close to what Bally/Williams did back in the day better but non-comparable!

The building literally changes how the game plays. Depending on what floor it’s on, it diverts the ball a different direction when you hit the ramps. Enjoy the giant static brick that does nothing!

#43 1 year ago

GB far from my fav but has to be up there. SW definitely popular as well. MET was produced for many years so has to be king. Things have changed, though. Didn't Stern upgrade production lines/size several times since then?

#44 1 year ago

AC/DC is their best selling game, and I don't think it's close.

#45 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

The building literally changes how the game plays. Depending on what floor it’s on, it diverts the ball a different direction when you hit the ramps. Enjoy the giant static brick that does nothing!

You're the sucker for spending the extra 2k on a diverter

#46 1 year ago
    Quoted from 6S3NC3:

You cant look at owners collection numbers at any accuracy. My collection and many others on pinside do not reflect what we have.

Ok I think you are looking at one data point and drawing a huge conclusion. Statistically speaking if you have a huge huge group of people they will do different things but there will be some type of bell curve that means some people might not list anything or might just list things they don’t own who knows what. But you will have a lot of overlap, I mean if someone owns both Maiden and JP they probably won’t list one but not the other. This is why I think especially for contemporary pins like BM66 and Elvira and Maiden and Stranger Things and do on the conditions are similar.

Now true random stuff like what if Kiss army bought a lot of Kiss pins but nothing else so these will be off here or there but I do think looking at ownership at least people who lost their collection can mean something.

I mean if you don’t list TAF for example and someone else doesn’t list TZ or GZ etc. a lot of this stuff will cancel out. And we are left with some idea of what’s more common or popular than what’s not. I own Potc Stern and I own a lot of other SAM pins this doesn’t not get listed in favor of the Spike pins it’s all listed for my collection not just the new stuff.

I do think more and more older games TZ, Tspp etc might be in forgotten basement collections of old gramps and not seeing the light of day as much as the new pins so maybe the newer pins are more represented since they haven’t fallen out of sight or been destroyed like many old pins.

#47 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Mine has interactive burning effects and diverts the ball!

But yeah, one of the most notable lacking games compared to its big brother. It makes for a great modding opportunity!

Mine now also has a saucer that targets the ball and a Godzilla with glowing spikes and flowing heatray. It feels really dynamic now.

#48 1 year ago

If Potc sold 6000 it’s probably likely Godzilla has sold that many as well since counting 2500 in collections on Pinside not counting a lot on location and maybe sold to off the grid owners.

#49 1 year ago

I agree that probably ACDC is the top seller. This was a huge hit when it came out, coming off games like CSI and other not so good games.

Back 20 years ago they were selling Harley’s. They came out with NO new designs for like 4 or more years and just kept selling HARLEY And LOTR. I would think these two titles would be up the list, just because of the time they were selling. Plus, all other manufacturers were out of business during that time. It was Harley or non new pin.

#50 1 year ago
    Quoted from acedanger:

You're the sucker for spending the extra 2k on a diverter

Yes, my $10.5k GZLE was a horrible purchase. I’ll never recover that amount when this trend is over lol

Anyway - I think the point is: We both know GZ is a great game and not a newb trend.

There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.