(Topic ID: 317765)

My Gottlieb Flipper Pool 1965 has a few problems. . .

By Pookiegus

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Pookiegus
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
Flipper Pool (resized).jpeg
Flipper Pool Back Glass (resized).jpeg
Flipper Pool Table (resized).jpeg
#1 1 year ago

Hello!

Just got a Flipper Pool in excellent condition. It had been sitting in someone's basement for about 20 years. Most everything seems to be working except for a few problems. First, I need to replace all the rubber and many of the lights are burned out, missing or the bulb sockets need to be cleaned.

I have several problems with the machine and hope someone here can help me resolve them.

1. On the card it says "Hitting 15 numbers resets pool ball rack". In testing the machine with the glass off - after hitting all 15 numbers nothing happens. All 15 balls stay down and the machine doesn't re-rack/reset the balls at the top. Is there one more switch or target you need to hit to have the pool ball rack reset? Is there a switch or relay underneath I should check for pool ball rack reset? After reading about this machine I am glad that it still has all the plastic pool balls that appear at the top as you hit the numbers.

2. When I hit the special it scores 100, but I don't hear a bell. Is there a switch I should check for the 100 bell on the two specials?

3 When I hit the number 9 the ball drops at the top but the light doesn't go out. What switch would I check for that?

4. Sometimes I've gotten a few free balls on my first ball out of the gate. I'm not sure what target is giving me the free ball. . .

This thing looks like it was restored 20 years ago and then sat in a basement un-used until this week. . . so as far as maintenance goes - it's been years. I don't think it was played much by the condition of the machine and case. . .

It came with the schematic! I can solder and I'm pretty good at fixing electrical things.
I am located in Middletown CT if there are any em pinball wizards in the area. . .

Thank you!

Flipper Pool (resized).jpegFlipper Pool (resized).jpegFlipper Pool Back Glass (resized).jpegFlipper Pool Back Glass (resized).jpegFlipper Pool Table (resized).jpegFlipper Pool Table (resized).jpeg

#2 1 year ago
Quoted from Pookiegus:

1. On the card it says "Hitting 15 numbers resets pool ball rack". In testing the machine with the glass off - after hitting all 15 numbers nothing happens. All 15 balls stay down and the machine doesn't re-rack/reset the balls at the top. Is there one more switch or target you need to hit to have the pool ball rack reset? Is there a switch or relay underneath I should check for pool ball rack reset? After reading about this machine I am glad that it still has all the plastic pool balls that appear at the top as you hit the numbers.

If the Reset Sequence Bank relay (C) doesn't activate when this happens, check the Ball Rack Advance unit disk & wiper:

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#3 1 year ago
Quoted from Pookiegus:

3 When I hit the number 9 the ball drops at the top but the light doesn't go out. What switch would I check for that?

Check this switch on the #9 relay on the Sequence bank:

#4 1 year ago
Quoted from Pookiegus:

4. Sometimes I've gotten a few free balls on my first ball out of the gate.

This sounds like a mechanical problem with the Balls To Play unit, but if not,
Inspect and diagnose this circuit with Alligator clip jumper wires

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-big-shot-repair#post-6305153
http://www.planetimming.com/Pinball/troubleshooting/EM%20Troubleshooting.pdf
http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#features
Example of a pinsider actually doing this https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/red-baron-tech-question#post-5858156

#5 1 year ago

Nice looking machine! It's a fun game - you'll enjoy it once you get the gremlins out of it. You're in good hands with Howard.

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from HowardR:

If the Reset Sequence Bank relay (C) doesn't activate when this happens, check the Ball Rack Advance unit disk & wiper:
[quoted image]

Thanks Howard!!

The disk and wiper on the Ball Rack Advance Unit is not turning far enough when the 15th ball is hit. If I rotate the disk slightly clockwise the balls reset/re-racked at the top!

Should I re-align the disk and wiper by loosening the three screws on the front of the disk and turning it slightly so the wiper makes contact with the correct pin? Or do I loosen the allen head screw at the back of the disk and realign the wiper that way?

#7 1 year ago
Quoted from Pookiegus:

The disk and wiper on the Ball Rack Advance Unit is not turning far enough when the 15th ball is hit. I pushed down on the disk and the balls reset/re-racked at the top.
Should I re-align the disk and wiper by loosening the screws on the front of the disk and turning it slightly so the wiper makes contact with the correct pin? Or do I loosen the allen screw at the back of the disk and realign that way?

Realign the disk and wiper by loosening the screws on the front of the disk and turning it slightly. Loosening the allen screw might work but more likely that screw has made an indentation in the shaft so when you tighten it, the screw will find the indentation, preventing you from correcting the wiper position.

#8 1 year ago
Quoted from HowardR:

Check this switch on the #9 relay on the Sequence bank:
[quoted image]

I checked the switches and figured out that when you hit the number the relay pulls down and opens the lower switch which is the light. After hitting the number I found that if I pushed it down slightly the light would go off. So I bent the upper arm on lower switch up a little and now the light shuts off as it should. Many thanks Howard!

Quoted from HowardR:

Realign the disk and wiper by loosening the screws on the front of the disk and turning it slightly. Loosening the allen screw might work but more likely that screw has made an indentation in the shaft so when you tighten it, the screw will find the indentation, preventing you from correcting the wiper position.

The disk is adjusted as far as it can go clockwise. The allen screw wouldn't let me adjust it - it found the indent each time I tried.
Should I lengthen the slots on the disk with a drill so I can adjust it the 1 degree I need?

#9 1 year ago
Quoted from HowardR:

Quoted from Pookiegus:

The disk is adjusted as far as it can go clockwise. The allen screw wouldn't let me adjust it - it found the indent each time I tried.
Should I lengthen the slots on the disk with a drill so I can adjust it the 1 degree I need?

What you suggest will work but there are other less invasive possibilities:
1) Adjust the allen screw part past the indent AND adjust the disk the opposite way OR
2) You may be able to rotate the inner disk by loosening the screws that hold it on

#10 1 year ago
Quoted from HowardR:

1) Adjust the allen screw part past the indent AND adjust the disk the opposite way OR
2) You may be able to rotate the inner disk by loosening the screws that hold it on

I was thinking of trying your first suggestion today. I don't like the idea of drilling that disk. . .

My last question is: why doesn't the 100 bell ring when I hit the ball 6 mystery score target light is lit? It should be worth 100 when the red mystery score target is lit

Thank you so much Howard for your help!

#11 1 year ago

Isn’t the red mystery worth between 1 and 4 or even 500? It was used frequently in screened tournaments at District 82/ Fox Cities and players were disappointed at getting only 100 for red mystery.

#12 1 year ago
Quoted from Pookiegus:

My last question is: why doesn't the 100 bell ring when I hit the ball 6 mystery score target light is lit? It should be worth 100 when the red mystery score target is lit

Does it score 100 when this happens?

#13 1 year ago

Yes, the alley should score a random amount between 100 - 500 pts when the Mystery Score light is lit. Should be 50 pts when the light is not lit.

#14 1 year ago
Quoted from HowardR:

I was able to successfully fix the Ball Rack Advance alignment using a combination of the allen screw and three screws on front! Thank you!

Quoted from HowardR:

Does it score 100 when this happens?

Ball 6 does score properly between 100 and 500 pts when mystery score light is lit and 50 when the light is not lit. The ball is recorded properly and drops, the light turns off. The bells just don't ring. It works perfectly on the Ball 14 side.

Where is that bell switch located?

#15 1 year ago
Quoted from Pookiegus:

Where is that bell switch located?

The 100 Point Bell switch is on the 100 Point (L) relay

#16 1 year ago
Quoted from HowardR:

The 100 Point Bell switch is on the 100 Point (L) relay
[quoted image]

I got the 100 point bell working! There was a wire disconnected! Everything seems to be working now!

Thanks for all your help!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-gottlieb-flipper-pool-1965-has-a-few-problems- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.