Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 247 posts
  • 128 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Razorbak86
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

dust-it.jpg
    marco.jpg
    My God-200.jpg
    image.jpg
    ScreenHunter_37 Nov. 12 17.31.jpg
    Marco-Dirty-Donny.jpg
    IMAG5556.jpg
    Towelie.jpg
    Overreaction.jpg
    2014-11-02 15.15.54.jpg
    There are 247 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.
    #51 9 years ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-to-buy-a-slingshot-spring

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/10-128

Quoted from zr11990:

Ill order from Marco but I hate paying 80 cents for a part and 5 bucks to ship it.

Quoted from zr11990:

$3 something each and $5 to ship. Fucking ridiculous.

#52 9 years ago
    Quoted from NPO:

I love Marco. I love the fact they take the time to put labels on EVERYTHING, so when I order 5 of 10 different coil sleeves, I don't have to take a measuring stick and determine what is what.

And that label on the package makes it easy to reorder because the part number is on the label.

#53 9 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

I have never had a problem with him. He located a scoop for my RBION when mine broke and Stern wouldn't sell me one. Funny, I set the game up and on the first game the scoop broke and the ball shot straight up and broke the glass.

Yea - I've always had good luck with MAD as well....just thought I'd stir the Pinside pot a little...

#54 9 years ago

Did this thread go the way you thought it would go?

#55 9 years ago

Overreaction.jpgOverreaction.jpg

#56 9 years ago

$5 to ship is a problem?

It takes a person to pull and pack parts. It takes a box or an envelope to put the parts in. Tape to seal it. A label, etc.

Order some more stuff and stop being a cheapskate, James. You've got a lot of pins, you'll need *something* soon....

#57 9 years ago

What I would do is wait about 8 months and spend $80 in gas to go to the next pinball show and get the spring for probably 35 cents. Now that's a deal. In your face Marco!

#58 9 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

So it is in stock, you can't find it anywhere else, and then you are bitching at them for being a business? I'm just having a hard time understanding this one. If you don't like their price, don't click "Checkout". They are providing a service to you, and that costs. Cry about it all you want.

Yes, but this is pinball.

The first rule of pinball is that no one should make a profit from pinball.

You need to pay employees? Tough Schlitz
    You need to pay rent? Tough Schlitz
    Your kid wants to eat tonight? Tough Schlitz

#59 9 years ago

I appreciate all the vendors that support the hobby.
    Each vendor has its strengths.
    I spread my orders around -- no one vendor gets all my business.

Marco's strengths are:

1. Fast email support
    2. Big selection
    3. Best web site for doing searches (amongst the pin vendors)
    4. HYPER FAST DEAL-WITH-THE-DEVIL SHIPPING SPEEDS
    5. Big discounts when you order in quantity

-mof

#60 9 years ago

Well this thread is going well for the OP...

#61 9 years ago

Everything has pretty much been said already. OP if you don't like it they do not force you to order. Shipping costs what it costs, if you don't like it drive there and pick it up. I still find it amazing that companies can take an item, deliver it across the country for what it costs me to buy a cup of coffee.

#62 9 years ago
    Quoted from MinusWorlds:

Well this thread is going well for the OP...

And that aint all.

Quoted from zr11990:

Somehow the spring to my slingshot disappeared while I was putting the PF back together.

#63 9 years ago

Marco burned me once by shipping to an old address instead of the new address I had updated before the order. They refused to give me a refund, and I ended up having to file a complaint with Paypal. I ended up getting my money back, but it wasn't easy.

I will only order from them if I cannot find the part anywhere else.

#64 9 years ago
    Quoted from DeeGor:

Marco burned me once by shipping to an old address instead of the new address I had updated before the order. They refused to give me a refund, and I ended up having to file a complaint with Paypal. I ended up getting my money back, but it wasn't easy.

They should have sent you an email confirmation of your order which includes the shipping address. I am surprised that any company selling online would not provide this.

#65 9 years ago

I'm not sure what pbr has done. But shipping with them really went up. For some reason no last two shipments came through ups instead of USPS. Yesterday I got my order for a small 1.5 pound box was 28.15. It would have fit in a USPS flat rate for 13.00

#66 9 years ago
    Quoted from Mike_J:

They should have sent you an email confirmation of your order which unludes the shipping address. I am surprised that any company selling online would not provide this.

Yep. Marco and PBL *ALWAYS* send me confirmation emails when I order. Now I'll make an effort to always double check the addresses.
    -mof

#67 9 years ago

O-din - "And that aint all."
    That's beautiful. For some reason I find myself laughing out loud at this. Maybe I'm just tired.

#68 9 years ago
    Quoted from DeeGor:

They did not burn you, you did not pay attention when you processed the order. I have made the same mistake before and sent the parts to my old address. There are times in life where the finger should be pointed at your chest and not pointed at the other party involved. This is one of those times.

#69 9 years ago

The springs are only .80 cents from Marco right?

#70 9 years ago

"If you're ever gonna cry about the price of pinball parts, be sure and bring a towel!"
    -mof

Towelie.jpgTowelie.jpg

#71 9 years ago
    Quoted from inhomearcades:

They did not burn you, you did not pay attention when you processed the order. I have made the same mistake before and sent the parts to my old address. There are times in life where the finger should be pointed at your chest and not pointed at the other party involved. This is one of those times.

Yeah, you're an expert with my particular situation. You missed the part where I said I updated the address BEFORE I made the purchase. I did receive an email that had the wrong address in it, and I did contact them before it was ever delivered. I double checked the profile on my account and it did have my new address listed.

I received a reply later that stated the best they could do was they could resend the parts once whoever was living at the old address sent them back, but I was out of luck if they didn't.

Just because you're a moron doesn't mean I am.

#72 9 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

For the record, I love Marco. I order from them quite often. Their website is a great resource, and their shipping speed is almost always second to nobody.

Couldn't agree more.

When I first got into the hobby there was a fair amount of bashing of Marco. Even back then, I have had nothing but positive experiences with them. Their prices may not be the best, but their customer service is.

And they ship faster than any other vendor I use bar none.

I love Marco.

#73 9 years ago

Wow, that is pretty darn pathetic if that is what actually took place.

Why would anyone whine over their own mistake?

#74 9 years ago

I've had good luck overall with Pinball Life, Marco, and Bay Area Amusements. Marcos isn't always the cheapest on each item, but they often have stuff I can't find anywhere else. If I only need or or two items, I try to wait until I need more parts. But because of shipping costs, I can always find more to buy need like flipper and rubber rings, pinballs, switches, or other common items that will get used.

#75 9 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Did this thread go the way you thought it would go?
    » YouTube video

LOLLL
    ty for posting that.
    -mof

#76 9 years ago

Cheapskates. If $22 has you so riled up that you have to post about it then pinball is the wrong hubby for you. Another post to drain and get off my home page view.

#77 9 years ago

Shipping from Marco to Norway is 61$ for 100$ of screws and other small parts.
    But they are the only shop I can find that actually have the parts, not only listed, but also in stock.
    Just saying...

So if there is a pinsider that wants to have a part time job as a postoffice, please shout out!

Axl

#78 9 years ago

Most places have a minimum shipping cost regardless of what you order. Some base it on size, others base it on the dollar amount.

As mentioned previously, the best way to avoid this is to add items you anticipate you will need in the future.

I've never had a problem with Marco. A while back I placed an order that included 2 pieces of playfield glass (one a bally wide body) and the shipping was about $10. Most places won't even ship glass.

#79 9 years ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

The springs are only .80 cents from Marco right?

Yeah , but the OP went through god.

#80 9 years ago

I like Marco, but I think they could do better on shipping. Company's like them (that do alot of shipping) get discounts that they dont pass on to the customer. Another method of income! But to be fair SHIPPING has gone through the roof for anything you're shipping yourself! I have my wife ship through her employer who gets a huge discount! freight and packages! I shipped a 60 machine 1000 miles away for $30 ! special handling in a crate. I saw shocked how cheap! plus they just took it our of her check lol!

#81 9 years ago
    Quoted from DeeGor:

Yeah, you're an expert with my particular situation. You missed the part where I said I updated the address BEFORE I made the purchase. I did receive an email that had the wrong address in it, and I did contact them before it was ever delivered. I double checked the profile on my account and it did have my new address listed.
    I received a reply later that stated the best they could do was they could resend the parts once whoever was living at the old address sent them back, but I was out of luck if they didn't.
    Just because you're a moron doesn't mean I am.

Actually I updated my address before the purchase as well. There is a drop down that you should have double checked prior to shipment. You did not. You contacted them after they shipped the item but before it was delivered, so did I. We had the exact same situation occur, I can accept that I did not verify the correct address during check out, you clearly can not. So because you did not check the shipping, YOU my friend are the idiot just as much as I. Stop blaming other people for your mistakes, its obnoxious.

#82 9 years ago

Crap, I posted a few minutes ago but something happened. When I originally posted I was looking at a 80 cent part in which I was buying 5 so I would have extra. The shipping was $6.50 to ship 5 springs that weighed a few ounces. I do consider this exorbitant. Not that I couldn't afford it but still. I called to see if I could get a different quote on shipping. Come to find out that wasn't the part I needed. No one lists a " slingshot kicker spring" or anything like that, they list tension springs. The part he recommended was $3 with shipping of $5. I have no other prices on this item to compare prices on so I cant really say much about that but I do think $5 to be a lot for a few ounces, but again it wont break me. I did start to buy a few more items to make ordering worth my while but when I checked prices with Pinball Life, always my first stop, Terry was always cheaper. At this point I need to get this pinball PF off my kitchen table before my wife throws it and me out on the porch so I am just glad I could get the part.

#83 9 years ago

my instance also took place just after their computer system update. It should default to the most recent address, but after their update it did not. As frustrating as it was, ultimately, you and I both should have checked the actual shipment address during check out rather than just click place order.

#84 9 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

$21 for 5 slingshot kicker springs. $3 something each and $5 to ship. Fucking ridiculous. This is why I was asking if anyone had one they would sell me as you have to take it up the browneye to buy anything from Marco. Their shit is 2-3 times as much as Pinball Life.

Wish I had them, I would have dropped them off to you. I just drove from downtown Houston to Intercontenintal Airport. Waiting in security line...

IMAG5556.jpgIMAG5556.jpg
    #85 9 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Wish I had them, I would have dropped them off to you. I just drove from downtown Houston to Intercontenintal Airport. Waiting in security line...

Well that just sucks right there. I despise TSA as they are simply there to make it look like they are doing something and they take themselves way to seriously. Anyway, you are always welcome to stop by even without parts. Don't be surprised if Im kicked back reading a book while Im waiting on a sucker.. er a customer.

#86 9 years ago
    Quoted from johnwartjr:

$5 to ship is a problem?
    It takes a person to pull and pack parts. It takes a box or an envelope to put the parts in. Tape to seal it. A label, etc.
    Order some more stuff and stop being a cheapskate, James. You've got a lot of pins, you'll need *something* soon....

I agree on the costs but that's also built into the prices.

#87 9 years ago

If people think that shipping departments are not a revenue stream for a company they are wrong. There is a cost to the materials, warehouse and employees that package those items. That is why companies, pretty much every real company out there charges you shipping fees that are more than the actual cost of the shipping label. Its a reality, its the way it should be, and it will continue to be.

#88 9 years ago

Actually I updated my address before the purchase as well. There is a drop down that you should have double checked prior to shipment. You did not. You contacted them after they shipped the item but before it was delivered, so did I. We had the exact same situation occur, I can accept that I did not verify the correct address during check out, you clearly can not. So because you did not check the shipping, YOU my friend are the idiot just as much as I. Stop blaming other people for your mistakes, its obnoxious.

If you cannot see a glaring flaw in their system where you make an update to your address, and the system does not honor it and sends to your old address anyway then you're hopeless.

#89 9 years ago

You could always drive there yourself and pick it up. Wow $5 doesnt sound that bad anymore.

#90 9 years ago

Dont forget the cost of doing Business.

Rent
    Employees
    Cost of Inventory and the cost of capital.
    Cost of shipping and packing.
    Taxes
    .....and on

Even if they picked up the springs for Zero, The cost of doing business is pretty Damn Expensive today.

#91 9 years ago

Marco is awesome and a life saver keeps me playin always top notch service.

#92 9 years ago

Here's how I look at it, I'm thankful that companies like Marco exist.......if they didn't, we wouldn't be enjoying this hobby. Quit your whining and be greatful. It costs a lot of money to ship products.

#93 9 years ago

Part of the problem here is that most businesses today just reference "shipping" rather than "shipping & handling", which used to be the norm years ago. And because they just reference "shipping", people tend to look at the shipping cost printed on the outside of the package and complain that they're being ripped off.

As Art suggests, the reality of the situation is that there are a bunch of overhead costs associated with running a business, and to cover those overhead costs, you have to amortize them over either the product or the service. If you amortize the overhead costs over the products, then the products will appear too expensive relative to the competition when potential customers are doing quick price comparisons over the Internet. So to keep product prices comparable vis-a-vis the competition, most vendors amortize overhead costs over the service itself (i.e., shipping & handling).

Since it often takes the same amount of time to pick & pack small orders as it does large orders, the "shipping and handling costs" are typically allocated in two parts: (1) a fixed minimum cost per order to help cover overhead, and (2) a variable cost that is highly dependent on the distance and actual freight cost from the carrier to deliver the order to the customer.

The main problem is that most average customers don't understand the costs of running a business, and they tend to focus on the data that is immediately available to them (i.e., "shipping" cost).

#94 9 years ago

Marco has great shipping rates.

They only charge $9.99 on playfields; probably the best rate in the business.

#95 9 years ago

Most average customers? I can see some finding that statement insulting. I understand shipping and handling and I know many companies use it as a revenue source. If not you wouldn't se companies offering to give you something for free if you pay S&H or double your order if you pay separate S&H. That is their business decision. I however have the right to choose to do business with a company who has cheaper shipping rates and cheaper prices such as Pinball Life. If I need something I go to Terry first, period. If he doesn't have it I go to the, IMO, next best. Some of you may love Marco and that is fine and chances are they will have it when no one else will and you are more apt to get EVERYTHING you need there verses having to go to different places. Its funny, some have said " just be glad you can get the parts. Pay the price and shut up. " I wonder how many of those have bitched about CPR and their prices or business practices. They actually create something that you cant get elsewhere.

#96 9 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Marco has great shipping rates.
    They only charge $9.99 on playfields; probably the best rate in the business.

9.99 on a pf that I cant have shipped for under $30 but $5 for a few springs that weigh a few ounces. That's pretty strange.

#97 9 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

9.99 on a pf that I cant have shipped for under $30 but $5 for a few springs that weigh a few ounces. That's pretty strange.

Not all that strange.

USPS is about $6.

It's not like they can just put a stamp on an envelope and drop them in a mail box.

#98 9 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

Most average customers? I can see some finding that statement insulting. I understand shipping and handling and I know many companies use it as a revenue source.

If you bill it, it's a revenue source. I think you meant to say "profit center", but that's an understandable mistake. Most average customers don't understand the difference between revenue and profit, but most business owners do.

#99 9 years ago
    Quoted from TimeWarp1:

Eh, I got charged a little over $8 for a small box by them and the price on the shipping label was plain as day $2 dollars cheaper than what I was charged. Not sure if there was some hidden insurance/tracking thing tacked on but I shrugged it off as I had my hard to find parts from a nice place.

Did the post office pick and pack the product too? Packing materials? Shipping costs are not just the postal cost... they call it "shipping & handling" for a reason

#100 9 years ago

There is a minimal shipping cost for a good reason. It takes time to process an order, put it together, put it in a package, and mail it out. The same amount of time as a more expensive order. They can't make money filling $3 orders all day long.

Be happy these parts suppliers exist.

There are 247 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-god-this-is-why-i-dont-order-from-marco/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.