Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 28 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by frolic
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“How long have your games sat idle?”

• My games may break but I NEVER take one! 11 votes
      13%
    • Maybe a week or two 43 votes
      49%
    • Few months 19 votes
      22%
    • 6+ months 14 votes
      16%

(87 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

14608107_1180665285312703_1558693314_n (resized).jpg
    #1 6 years ago

I recently realized that I've gone from daily tweaking of my games and checking pinside like I had OCD (which I kinda do actually) to not even turning my games on for about 6+ months. Have I somehow been cured of the pinball sickness? Is this at all normal? What is the longest break you've ever taken from the hobby?

#2 6 years ago

I take a break every summer and only check Pinside periodically. Once the weather cools, I clean and wax my games, change batteries and balls, tweak any switches and bulbs and then play a rotation of games. Throw in a show or two and I'm all pumped up about pinball until the next summer.

#3 6 years ago

Its never usually months, but I do kind of ebb and flow in the hobby. My main problem is that I have too many interests and not enough time. When I first built the gameroom I spent hours out there, now they usually only get played when company is over (I have a bunch of video games too).

#4 6 years ago

I went to Tennessee to see the total eclipse. Thank goodness I found an Avengers Pro at a rest area to tide me over. I never really cared for the game, but when my choice was that or nothing, well let's get those quarters flowing into the coin slot.

Normally I play at least 4 days a week. It might be a couple quick games, but I really like playing.

My suggestion for you is go flip on your Getaway and run it up to Red Line Mania. Hear the sounds, grab the jackpot, then try to get the super jackpot. If that doesn't move you, sure, maybe you have been cured and it's time to collect stamps or something

#5 6 years ago
    Quoted from OHMI_Arcade:

I recently realized that I've gone from daily tweaking of my games and checking pinside like I had OCD (which I kinda do actually) to not even turning my games on for about 6+ months. Have I somehow been cured of the pinball sickness? Is this at all normal? What is the longest break you've ever taken from the hobby?

I is subjective on a personal level of a person . I fall in the OCD personality. I have been collecting for more than 22 years . I have many hobbies and I am a sports man, actor , singer , dancer, Dead Head , video gamer . I have been off The Pinside for almost a year and half . I seem to buy more pinball ball machines when I frequent The PinSide . I have gone for more than a year or more with out turning on my collection . I have played for years consistently.Ebb and flow, wax and wane. I just started playing my collection again last week and I now have an itch to buy a NIB pinball. One reason my collection last longer is long breaks from my collection. It is also way my machines all have low plays . So for me It is normal for long breaks after collecting for 23 years.
    In addition most of my collection are machine I purchased in the mid 1995- 2005 . There were no LED's for pinball machine's . When I started to convert my collection over to LED's 15 full LED pinball conversions I was playing alot . Now they are all done that slowed me down in the playing department. And the last (3) NIB I bought were STERN LE that were all LED from the factory . For me I do not think it is abnormal to (wax and wane) from the hobby I do it on purpose some times so I do not buy anything as I hate to sell any of my machines . So I have to send earned $$ The PinSide forums make me want to BUY, BUY, BUY . For better or worse . How is that for a wall of text. Peace

#6 6 years ago

Recently got into pubg, haven't been doing Pinball as much lately.

#7 6 years ago
    Quoted from OHMI_Arcade:

What is the longest break you've ever taken from the hobby?

Less than 24 hours.

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from Kneissl:

Recently got into pubg, haven't been doing Pinball as much lately.

I don't do acronyms. What is pubg ?

#9 6 years ago
    Quoted from OHMI_Arcade:

Have I somehow been cured of the pinball sickness?

Uhm. Absolutely answer is "No" .

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from RobKnapp:

What is pubg ?

Player Unknowns Battle Grounds

LTG : )

#11 6 years ago

Ltg is up to speed. All the young guys at work had been talking about it, now I'm hooked on the damn game.

#12 6 years ago

Ive gone awhile without playing, turned one on and had the best game ive ever had, and i was right back into it. Sometimes it just takes 1 game to find the joy again! And if you dont, you can always sell your games to me! Im sure youll enjoy playing again tim, the joy of pinball never leaves!

#13 6 years ago

I usually only have a break for a week or two every few months. And the only reason i do that is because my games are downstairs in the basement, and my knees can't handle the stairs sometimes.
    If i had a one level house i would probably be playing every day'

#14 6 years ago

I find playing pinball alone at home can get monotonous at times. While I have found myself playing much less at home alone the past few months, I've recently had some opportunities to play at a few friends houses and compete with others. It immediately brought the love for the hobby right back. Sometimes just changing up the scenery playing different games from what you have at home and some friendly competition can remind you again why you truly love being a pinhead.

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from OHMI_Arcade:

My urge to play has went from an enjoyably addicted passion that consisted of a must play every day, to I really need to "try" to play. My desire to play stayed strong for many many years, until I started to sell pins and I met some rather awful people which ruined the desire to be in the hobby. At some point I will sell everything and focus on something else.

#16 6 years ago
    Quoted from Kneissl:

Ltg is up to speed. All the young guys at work had been talking about it, now I'm hooked on the damn game.

I know, I'm in that dam game all the time now lol. Love it, it's the Purge meets Hunger games lol.

#17 6 years ago

I play errday

#18 6 years ago

when mine sit idle for awhile i start thinking about selling something, then when I go through the effort of selling the game I get back into it and wish I hadn't sold it....

#19 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinmanguy:

when mine sit idle for awhile i start thinking about selling something, then when I go through the effort of selling the game I get back into it and wish I hadn't sold it....

I know better than to sell for just that reason. Besides... it's a big pain to haul them in and out of my basement.

#20 6 years ago
    Quoted from OHMI_Arcade:

What is the longest break you've ever taken from the hobby?

I... I don't understand.

14608107_1180665285312703_1558693314_n (resized).jpg14608107_1180665285312703_1558693314_n (resized).jpg

#21 6 years ago

Well about 1/3 time I'm playing, 1/3 time I'm fixing and 1/3 time I'm looking at fixed assets that are appreciating in value despite just sitting there turned off. Yeah it's all good.

#22 6 years ago

Ive had to go months without playing from a Tendon issue in my Right hand, and ringing in my ears!

(Theres a punchline needed.....)

Sadly, its True.

Id like to get back to a daily Fix.

#23 6 years ago

i just don't get the allure of PUBG. Too much RNG. I watch people play it and it's just 95% running around getting "gear", then dying in 5 seconds.

#24 6 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Ive had to go months without playing from a Tendon issue in my Right hand, and ringing in my ears!
    (Theres a punchline needed.....)
    Sadly, its True.
    Id like to get back to a daily Fix.

Art , That sucks . Gods speed my friend !!

#25 6 years ago
    Quoted from soapblox:

i just don't get the allure of PUBG. Too much RNG. I watch people play it and it's just 95% running around getting "gear", then dying in 5 seconds.

Idle are my pin's as I got ranked in top 100 for Diablo 3 ROS ARPG for Seasonal play . Total fun but Time suck . Back to training for a half marathon if my body will hold together

#26 6 years ago
    Quoted from soapblox:

Drop hot and live. Looking for gear is lame, kill a couple guys and you'll find they did it all for you.

#27 6 years ago

My longest break was about 7 years. And 3 years before that never turning them on. Got burned out.

Now I'm building my own and my son likes to play so we play a few times a week. It ebbs and flows.

#28 6 years ago
    Quoted from Masspinballfan:

I find playing pinball alone at home can get monotonous at times. While I have found myself playing much less at home alone the past few months, I've recently had some opportunities to play at a few friends houses and compete with others. It immediately brought the love for the hobby right back. Sometimes just changing up the scenery playing different games from what you have at home and some friendly competition can remind you again why you truly love being a pinhead.

I probably play more pinball with my weekly league than I do on my own in my own home. I agree, it keeps things interesting.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-games-sit-idle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.