10 months ago

Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 months ago by LeChuck
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 5 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_20200313_165140937 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20200313_165156833 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20200313_165202936 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20200313_165309806 (resized).jpg
    15841322601398629052797146322138 (resized).jpg

#1 10 months ago

I bought a 1 pound tub of flux about 6 months ago. It's been about a month since I've needed to use it. I went to do so, yesterday and noticed a green speck of mold on the inside of the lid. Looking in the tub, there are tons of white mold spots all through it. Is this normal? I keep it in my climate controlled home, so it isn't getting extreme temp changes. Now I gotta buy new stuff.

#2 10 months ago

What do you use flux for?

Any soldering I've done is all flux core.

#3 10 months ago

Haven't used flux in like 15 years

#4 10 months ago

I wouldn't think so. What brand is it?

Personally, I've always used rosin core solder. No having to mess with flux separately.

#5 10 months ago

I’ve got plenty of tubs of flux that are ancient. I mean 30+ years old and they’re fine. No mold.
    I didn’t even know mold could possibly be supported in flux?!

#6 10 months ago

It's weird. I can post pics tomorrow. I find that flux helps alot when replacing sockets. Especially trying to get old solder and new solder to mix if needing to reflow a coil lug or something.

#7 10 months ago
    Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

It's weird. I can post pics tomorrow. I find that flux helps alot when replacing sockets. Especially trying to get old solder and new solder to mix if needing to reflow a coil lug or something.

It can def help with that — althoughfor lugs and dockets id recommend getting a cheap solder gun. Life changer for me.. makes quick work of those kinds or repairs and little need for flux

#8 10 months ago

by old and new solder, I hope that by new, you are still using 60/40 lead based otherwise that is probably your issue. lead-free and leaded solder do not mix well due to their chemical make-up and different melting temperatures

#9 10 months ago

Wow I'm really surprised at all who do not use flux other than what comes with core solders. I've always used flux as it absolutely helps with reflows and any soldering in general.

#10 10 months ago

I never use flux for wire soldering.
    Definately use it for plumbing pipe solder work.
    I have had it hang around for years and not have mold. It is an acid so that must be some resiliant mold.
    Mutant mold

#11 10 months ago
    Quoted from RWH:

Wow I'm really surprised at all who do not use flux other than what comes with core solders. I've always used flux as it absolutely helps with reflows and any soldering in general.

It depends what you're doing. If you're repopulating a board, you're going to use plenty of flux, but rosin core is fine for everything else. I spent a summer working in a circuit board factory when i was 19. I'm still using the same spool of rosin core solder that left with me 24 years later for board work.

#12 10 months ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

It depends what you're doing. If you're repopulating a board, you're going to use plenty of flux, but rosin core is fine for everything else. I spent a summer working in a circuit board factory when i was 19. I'm still using the same spool of rosin core solder that left with me 24 years later for board work.

I do all my board work Rosin core no issues.

#13 10 months ago

I'd love to see a pic, and also confirmation of what solder you are using per j_m_'s question.

#14 10 months ago

I bought a 1 pound tub of flux about 6 months ago. It's been about a month since I've needed to use it. I went to do so, yesterday and noticed a green speck of mold on the inside of the lid. Looking in the tub, there are tons of white mold spots all through it. Is this normal? I keep it in my climate controlled home, so it isn't getting extreme temp changes. Now I gotta buy new stuff.

I wonder if there's some contaminant that has gotten into it. You haven't been eating toast while soldering, right?

#15 10 months ago
    Quoted from herg:

I wonder if there's some contaminant that has gotten into it. You haven't been eating toast while soldering, right?

Or sticking something else in it either @treborlicec ? Just kidding.. Kester 44 60/40 solder ftw. Rarely use a sep flux for board work. I think the type of solder (lead-free/vs leaded) def makes a difference. Quality of solder goes a long way.

It was great seeing you at LAX last weekend!

#16 10 months ago

Well... rosin core flux is pretty much pine tree sap with additives. Sticky and I imagine it could support mold growth. But I have never seen flux mold before. We have bottles of flux that are years old with no mold. They do dry out over a long period, though.
    Typically add flux during rework - makes reflow easier. Used to use flux to remove SMT components but now use ChipQuick.
    And splurge a bit - go to 63/37 solder. That small difference in ratio between 63/37 and 60/40 makes a big difference in reducing bad solder joints.

#17 10 months ago
    Quoted from G-P-E:

Well... rosin core flux is pretty much pine tree sap with additives. Sticky and I imagine it could support mold growth. But I have never seen flux mold before. We have bottles of flux that are years old with no mold. They do dry out over a long period, though.
    Typically add flux during rework - makes reflow easier. Used to use flux to remove SMT components but now use ChipQuick.
    And splurge a bit - go to 63/37 solder. That small difference in ratio between 63/37 and 60/40 makes a big difference in reducing bad solder joints.

Argh! Totally agree and what I have been using for board work!

15841322601398629052797146322138 (resized).jpg
    #18 10 months ago

I never use lead free. Here's pics. Great seeing you too, Jeremy.

IMG_20200313_165309806 (resized).jpgIMG_20200313_165140937 (resized).jpgIMG_20200313_165156833 (resized).jpgIMG_20200313_165202936 (resized).jpg
    #19 10 months ago

I just use liquid rosin flux. I've had the same bottle for 20 years and still gets the job done when I need it.

#20 10 months ago

My previous tub was like this.

amazon.com link »

More amber jelly looking rather than creamy vaseline looking.

#21 10 months ago

My previous tub was like this.
    amazon.com link »
    More amber jelly looking rather than creamy vaseline looking.

I knew it! You do use flux on your uh...logic probe?

#22 10 months ago
    Quoted from pinballj:

I knew it! You do use flux on your uh...logic probe?

Makes it easier to probe stuff. Duh!

#23 10 months ago

I don’t use it but the waxy flux always gets moldy. Still works but I hardly ever need to use it. Only when some crappy plated wire won’t take solder.

#24 10 months ago
    Quoted from jj44114:

I don’t use it but the waxy flux always gets moldy. Still works but I hardly ever need to use it. Only when some crappy plated wire won’t take solder.

My older radioshack jelly type never had an issue. I'll order some more of that style next.

#25 10 months ago

My older radioshack jelly type never had an issue. I'll order some more of that style next.

Never seen this before, although I usually use liquid flux (either in a pen or bottle with brush-on applicator). Any particular reason you're using the thicker stuff? For my money, the pen has gotten the most usage between home projects and reworks/debug at my actual job.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 149.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 175.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 175.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 39.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Concealed Art
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 334.95
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    To-Go Cup - LED Out of stock
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 16.50
    $ 34.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    ArcadeArts
    $ 109.00
    $ 24.95
    Tools
    Magaro Machines
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Rocket City Pinball
    $ 28.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 47.95
    Lighting - Interactive
    MicksPinball
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 4.00
    Electronics
    Z-connector (24 pin) Out of stock
    Professor Pinball
    $ 36.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Rocket City Pinball
    $ 64.00
    $ 29.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 104.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Cabinet - Other
    UpKick Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside