(Topic ID: 226438)

My flipper is too close to the lane guide... and it is a problem!

By brainmegaphone

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

T2 Repair Photo (resized).JPG
IMG_0335 (resized).JPG

#1 5 years ago

Short story: removed most parts on my Terminator 2 playfield and cleaned the game. This game is new (to me). When I replaced the old flipper rubber with a new rubber I noticed it was binding and getting caught on the lane guide behind it. After examining the OLD flipper rubber you can see a notch was kind of cut into the rubber (or maybe it slowly wore into it? Looks cut to me).

How do I fix this correctly? I tried tightening down the lane guide several different ways to get it to "move" left but it locks into the same place each time. Unless I am mistaken a flipper can't be moved - the hole is the hole... so what would you all do? Trim the metal part of the lane guide? Clip the rubber like the old one was notched?

IMG_0335 (resized).JPGIMG_0335 (resized).JPG
#2 5 years ago

Take the flipper apart and inspect it. Maybe the bushing is wrong or broken and is causing the flipper bat to sit too close to that guide.

Or you can get the thin Titan rubbers and that should do the trick.

Or take a Dremel to the lane guide and shave it back.

#3 5 years ago

Try the right flipper bats for your game.

LTG : )

#4 5 years ago

He has williams bats in there

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Try the right flipper bats for your game.

How can you tell they aren’t right?

#6 5 years ago

Should be white

#7 5 years ago

Just took apart the flipper and see nothing unusual (compared bushing and it looks okay but might as well replace it since I have new ones on hand).

Reading Lloyd's comment - do I have the wrong bats? Wow, something only a hardcore pin guy will notice. If that's my issue that's an easy one to fix!

#8 5 years ago

According to T2 manual the flipper part number is 20-9250-6 which Marco shows as the below part which appears to be what I have (??)

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/20-9250-6

#9 5 years ago

Flipper looks right to me. I know over time those guides can get worn and cause ball hop. I wonder if it could have mushroomed the metal guide enough that it closed the distance between the guide and the back side of the flipper?

Quoted from brainmegaphone:

According to T2 manual the flipper part number is 20-9250-6 which Marco shows as the below part which appears to be what I have (??)

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from brainmegaphone:

This is one of those rare occasions where it appears that Lloyd may actually be wrong. I'm almost positive those are the correct flipper bats. My guess is that the game was like this from the factory. The lane guide was installed closer to the flipper than it was supposed to be. As already mentioned, the best solution is using a Dremel to shave it down slightly.

#11 5 years ago

You could remove the lane guide. Fill the holes. Then install it slightly to the right?

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

This is one of those rare occasions where it appears that Lloyd may actually be wrong.

I could be.

I just never saw yellow bats on a T2, so my first thought was the back end of it sticks out too much. The molding too thick ?

#13 5 years ago

I could order the white bats but I’ve looked on several sites to see if the specs differ. It isn’t clear that anything differs but the color. The yellow bat is definitely the part number in the manual - but manuals can be wrong as we all know. My guess is something else about my game is causing the rub. I guess I’ll just have to file down the lane guide and move on.

#14 5 years ago

sometimes if you loosen all the screws on the flipper mechanism plate underneath the playfield, there may be just enough slack to reposition the entire mechanism and gain the clearance you need. Unlikely because the newer plates have 8 screws, but it has worked for me in the past with the older 4 screw plates.

#15 5 years ago

Found an image on Google that has yellow bats, and looks to have plenty of room.

Maybe your guides were replaced with different ones?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-kF7D_Q5Bb-Q/U4kWMKSqOZI/AAAAAAAAHgM/Xg7ZRHYqoUw/s1600/LowerLeftPF02.jpg

From this blog post.
http://creamyeagle.blogspot.com/2014/05/terminator-2-pinball-tear-down.html

#16 5 years ago

Are both sides designed the same? If so I would try swapping the the metal guide from the left to the right (will need to flip it over). See if the problem persists. You could grind it down a bit if necessary, but I find it odd that it would have been rubbing for over 20yrs and it is just now being addressed.

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from Aquapin:

Are both sides designed the same? If so I would try swapping the the metal guide from the left to the right (will need to flip it over). See if the problem persists. You could grind it down a bit if necessary, but I find it odd that it would have been rubbing for over 20yrs and it is just now being addressed.

Never really thought of that. I’ll give it a shot!

Also - I did play with the screws under the playfield to get some “room” but with 8 of them there isn’t much “give”. Appreciate the suggestion though! I’ll keep this thread updated.

#18 5 years ago

You could also try swapping the flipper bats. Perhaps the one on the left was defective from the factory. The only other thing I can think of is that it's possible that your flipper bats, despite having the Williams logo on them, are actually generic knockoffs that weren't built to the proper spec.

#19 5 years ago

Loosen the lane guides a pinch and see if you can tighten with a little pressure to the left?

#20 5 years ago

You can also remove the flipper assembly fill the 8 holes and re attach it slightly to the right

1 week later
#21 5 years ago

I wanted to close the loop on this repair for the record books... I rebuilt the flipper (needed to rebuild them anyway and had the kit on hand). In the process of rebuilding it I also noticed the item the lane guides screw into (not sure of the term) was loose. I circled two of them in the photo but it was the one almost directly under the flipper that was loose. The screw holding it in was missing. I banged it back into place and put a screw there. Everything appears to line up properly now. I'm nearly certain this was my issue and the rebuild and new bushing probably did not contribute to the fix.

Thanks to everyone for the help and advice. Hopefully this one stays fixed as I have only one more technical issue with this game and I hope to have it running 100%. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/terminator-2-clubmembers-only/page/137#post-4632468

T2 Repair Photo (resized).JPGT2 Repair Photo (resized).JPG
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
3,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Morgantown, WV
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
Machine - For Sale
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep
Under cabinet
Boards
PinSound
Boards
Boards
Slap Save Creations
Boards
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames
Decorations
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Led
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 26.50
4,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
East Hanover, NJ
$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 14.95
3,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-flipper-is-too-close-to-the-lane-guide-and-it-is-a-problem?hl=darcangeloel and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.