(Topic ID: 13188)

My Fish Tales is restarting does anyone no why .

By trimoto

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 30 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by maddog14
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider johnwartjr.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8 12 years ago

The thing is, the problem isn't always on the driver board. Put in a new driver board with bad connectors, you're still gonna have reset problems.

Replacing parts blindly because it fixed the same problem for someone else is foolish. Troubleshoot the problem, and fix it right.

On TZ, for example, the Z connector between the driver board and the CPU is often a prime location for voltage drop. A new driver board won't fix this problem - repinning the connector will! And a bridge rectifier is 4 diodes - it's more often a cap problem than a bridge problem - but a lot of techs replace C5 and not C4. C4 is 25 cents, and can be a prime cause of voltage drop.

#17 12 years ago

Clive's good. Rob is good. The guy at your distributor may be good, and the friend mentioned earlier might be good.

Shop rates may seem extreme, but what did you pay the mechanic who fixed your car last week, or the doctor that treated you last? In all cases, a person has to have some level of education and experience. They do have liability, if they screw something up.

Having fixed my fair share of games for fellow collectors and operators, there are some people who shouldn't solder on expensive boards. Not that this is something that most people couldn't learn, but I've cleaned up after other people before. And I'm sure there are techs who have cleaned up after my earliest work, too.

You solder with high heat. High heat is destructive. It lifts traces and destroys plated through holes. If your problem is a connector on another part of the board, you've replaced parts that didn't need replaced, weakened traces that may make future repairs more difficult or more expensive, and you may have more problems than you did before when you turn the game back on.

People have even burned themselves with soldering irons, and I'm sure they have burned houses down with them before.

If you are going to do the repair yourself, be careful. Know your limits. Troubleshoot the problem first, and be certain what you are going to replace or rework has a very good chance of fixing the problem. Don't be afraid to ask for help.

Shotgunning parts, in nearly all situations, is dangerous and wasteful. The rare exception occurs, like DMD High Voltage power supplies.

#20 12 years ago

I wrench on my own cars, too. I drive older cars that don't have payments and have colorful nicknames for the last 10 years or do, my daily driver has been a 1995 Ford Thunderbird SC. I spent about 12 hours earlier this month replacing a water pump, power steering pump and thermostat. The shop wanted $500+ in labor. They said it would take 8 hours. They must work faster than I do I had to buy a $35 power steering pump pulley removal tool - but I lucked out and had a $10 off coupon

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Watertown, MA
$ 220.00
Playfields
Pinball Haus

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, CA
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

12,500 (OBO)
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 84.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

Machine - For Sale
Tacoma, WA
$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 109.00
Cabinet Parts
Starcade Amusement

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider johnwartjr.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-fish-tales-is-restarting-does-anyone-no-why?tu=johnwartjr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.