(Topic ID: 13188)

My Fish Tales is restarting does anyone no why .

By trimoto

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 30 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by maddog14
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider drano.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 12 years ago
Quoted from JesseB:

Bridge rectifiers could be bad, mine were and my FT did what you describe

This seems to be the most common explanation for spontaneous restarts. Same happened to my TAF. The voltage is certainly another possibility, but much less common than the BR.

I don't really have the skills to repair this myself so I looked into repairing the board. After the quotes I got (and the lack of warm and fuzzy I got from the guy I spoke to) I decided to replace he entire board with a new (modern) one from Rottendog. Probably would have spent the same on repairs.

#11 12 years ago
Quoted from absocountry2:

Did you talk to Clive at the coin-op cauldron? He is really good.

Nope. But I will look him up in future
I went to a local gameroom shop and Stern distributor (who shall remain nameless). Their repair department said they would need to spend some time "diagnosing" the board at some ridiculous hourly rate in order to determine what was wrong, even though I was pretty certain where the issue was.
I still have the old board and a friend of mine employs a really good tech that has done repairs for me in the past. I just hate to ask for too many favours. One day I'll take it up there and have him do it for me... or I'll get up the courage to attempt it myself.

#18 12 years ago
Quoted from johnwartjr:

Shop rates may seem extreme, but what did you pay the mechanic who fixed your car last week, or the doctor that treated you last? In all cases, a person has to have some level of education and experience. They do have liability, if they screw something up.

I totally agree, but I also have to trust the person I'm paying, and the guys I referenced (like some mechanics) don't necessarily have the best reputation for price/service. I didn't want to come out and start slandering anyone so I left it at that.
For me, TAF was my first pin, my knowledge was zero and the cost and promise of a new and improved board on my prized TAF was an easy decision. Knowing I would always have the original as back-up made it an even easier one.
Maybe one day I'll have enough confidence, knowledge and skill to accurately troubleshoot and attempt to fix some of these more technical issues. But as you implied, a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing.
Luckily, the quick fix worked for me that time... your mileage may vary.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 109.00
Cabinet Parts
Starcade Amusement

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 220.00
Playfields
Pinball Haus

$ 8.50
Hardware
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 84.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

6,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, CA
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
Tacoma, WA
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Watertown, MA
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 169.00
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider drano.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-fish-tales-is-restarting-does-anyone-no-why?tu=drano and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.