(Topic ID: 117229)

Terminator 2 - Slowest restoration in History!

By Pinterest

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 122 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Pinterest
  • Topic is favorited by 32 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
IMG_1644 (resized).JPG
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tezting.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#31 8 years ago

It looks awesome. I am starting a t2 restoration myself and the things I have to fix are 100% the same. I hope you will share your experience

-Are you planing to paint the red where the ball drops?
-Have you painted the "wood" color?
-Are you using createx?

#33 8 years ago

Awesome! I have just glued inserts and rebuild holes. So you are in the lead I also want my playfield to be perfect but always struggle to mix the paints so just bought the app on your recommendation. When you mix are you using solid createx red, yellow,blue, white?
How do you mix them? By counting drops or are you using the % in some way?

#35 8 years ago
Quoted from dkeruza:

I figured you used Opaque RED, GREEN, BLUE and WHITE.

Where do you see green? My app has yellow?

Billede_11-08-15_08.23.56.pngBillede_11-08-15_08.23.56.png

#40 8 years ago

Good job, it is really nice that you share what colors you are mixing and hope you will keep doing it for all the colors. It is gonna be a real great help for all of us that are going to restore a T2

Painting white under should not be necessary because you are using opaque colors? But let os know if it helped

#43 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinterest:

I had been dreading the fluorescent red - but just used straight wicked fluorescent red out of the bottle. Yeah, I know it's not perfect - still debating whether I'll re-do it but again

I don't know if you have seen this:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lets-work-through-this-pile-of-playfields-i-need-to-restore-in-one-thread/page/2#post-1303339
He talks about how he matches the fluorescent red/orange

Quoted from Pinterest:

I started by finishing the Maroon - as I said - Createx Opaque Red, 6 or 8 drops of opaque yellow, 1 drop opaque black is the ticket.

Sorry to ask, but how much red? Or do you start with the yellow and black and the add red until you have the correct color?

3 weeks later
#45 8 years ago

Hi,
Any updates to share? Have you managed to match the "wood" color?

#49 8 years ago

Looking forward to seeing the result. It was not possible to match it with createx?

#52 8 years ago
Quoted from dkeruza:

I also would like to see a good formula for woodgrain

+1
Someone who has done it multiple times need to share the secret

#55 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinterest:

Okay - so I'm back at it again this week. I need to try to get the color finished on this T2 by the weekend. Working on painting the wood parts right now. Got the outside section of the playfield done last night.
BEFORE:
01692fb0954068e8f480e42746b1d7b929a3cf85f7.jpg
AFTER:
0112328461f434cea13c2f18875e5a00489cb87c37.jpg
You can see how close (but not perfect) the color is in this picture. I'm satisfied that it's close enough for me though. I plan to print a couple of decals of the numbers, paint over this area and then re-apply the decals after the first clear coat.
BEFORE:
018cdbf58750b0fe559b3cbcaf4c6c71c9b5847d11.jpg
AFTER:
01e688d5b7dcb2da486c576965a65b1f3f8e5ccee3.jpg
Anyway - took the masking off the center of the playfield tonight and started masking off the frisket to spray the rest of the wood to match. As soon as I get done I'll spray it and move on to the next color.
0145b734692d390284512937a4006db255e58cf62d.jpg
01fa5077f9a02decd8069c50370ec718a2b5772c33.jpg
More to come soon!

Thank you for the update, looking good!
So you went with the paint from the previous post and not Createx? I don't think I can find that paint in my country...

#58 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinterest:

Woke up early - ate breakfast - and then fell down the stairs rushing down to start work - so I got a late start. All is good - but geeze I'm sore tonight.
Still managed to complete touch-up of all of the light gray and the off-white areas. Now I only have the Dark taupe grey, a bit of maroon, the fluorescent red in a few places and the white areas. I am hoping to finish them up tomorrow and get a coat of clear on it. This needs to get finished before the winter so I can put it back together
It took FOREVER to frisket and cut out the center pops and graphics. As I am learning how to do this and more about the amount of time it takes to do quality work (not that mine is close to the pros) I can easily see why a Kruzman or other professionally restored playfield isn't cheap. It takes a lot of time and experience to do this work. I could never do this professionally - not only am I not close to good enough - but it's so time consuming that I'm surprised anyone can do it cost effectively.
Here is how the area around the pop bumpers came out.
01627c847c68d25e310d1cd4f87d846384beacc1c7_00003.jpg
This is how the light areas next to either side of the Endoskull and left lane came out.
01b5dd93d622f108e192b3d3fb87a4db5fa0e0da77_00002.jpg
If I don't get the color done tomorrow I'll probably have to take a day off to get it done before the cold weather hits.
I'll post more as I progress.

You allready know what I will ask
What colors did you mix for the grey?
I think the brownish/grey will be hard to get...

#60 8 years ago

Looking good!

- What about the grey around the pops? What did you use?
- Are you just mixing the cheat acrylics with Createx and airbrushing it?
- How much do you mix at once? (ml/oz)

Your help and answers are very much appreciated, the color mixing is a real pain I think...

#63 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinterest:

Getting close to having my playfield done! Finished the color today and put two "dust" coats of 2PAC on it 10 minutes apart. I'll give it a full coat in the morning. The plan is to decal it this week and get a second coat on before the cold weather hits so I can get it back together over the winter.
019e86a5d5df29ace51712dd8e50338cee1213f92f.jpg
01b60661d7a58ec86500276956ab28aa18f894ae60.jpg
014309d9073cea994343a9b1a97b5dda9a5b155360_00002.jpg
01d6ec866c306f175c3d8a1c997875c75f267ebeda_00002.jpg

Spaceman!

2 weeks later
#66 8 years ago

What is your plan with the missing insert decals?
Btw. I find it very hard to match the red. Either it is to dark or it is to "weak" :-/

#70 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinterest:

Use Createx opaque red with a 1 drop of Createx opaque black - works perfect!

Would that not make it even darker?

Also, what was the fluorescent secret?

1 week later
#73 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinterest:

» YouTube video
Thank you Vid1900 - I would have never attempted this without your guides.
(Or if I did it would not have come out nearly as nice)

Good job sir!

#79 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinterest:

Thank you for your kind comments. Everything I know I learned from "Vids guide to Ultimate playfield restoration" just search for it here. I highly recommend you read through it completely.
To answer your question though - the original artwork was silk screened on the playfield. I didn't do this but strongly recommend you do - scrape the old paint off the inserts that are damaged before you put the first coat of clear on. Vids guide explains all of this - but you need to spray a clear coat on the playfield after you have leveled your inserts. This locks the original paint down and creates an even surface tension for your decals to stick to. Then you sand it, do your touch ups, stick the new decals on and spray a top coat over the top.
Good luck with your restoration - you can do it!

Quoted from HarkinsFamily:

Okay we are just in the planning phases for our T2 restore/upgrade. We have had this machine forever and it is still our favorite. Here's our question...
How did you replace the stickers on the playfield arrow inserts (for example, Hurry Up, Special, Jackpot) if you were clear coating over them? Wouldn't you need to take them off completely when you stripped down the playfield and then apply the new ones before you started the new clear coating?
Just asking since we are new to this restore/upgrade piece of pinball. That was confusing for us.
Thanks posting this project and your help.
Your T2 looks awesome!

Just an image of the process if it is any help.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

#80 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinterest:

Okay so I waited a couple of days after filling in the low spots with 2PAC and an eyedropper and then re-block sanded the areas I had built up level with the rest of the playfield. Here is what my playfield now looks like after sanding it flat.
IMG_0376.JPG
The playfield is now flat and its finally time to start color matching and touching up my paint with the air brush. I am definitely not "Mr. Artistic" by any means - and UNTIL TODAY I HAVE NEVER TRIED TO MIX PAINT OR MATCH COLORS!
I mixed this on the first attempt - BY CHEATING - and I'll share my secret at the end of this post. My point is - if I can do this - anyone can. Below are pictures of my progress. I'm not as fast as the professionals - but when its finished I'm confident I will have a collector quality machine.
I decided to start with the light blue area first.
Before:
Here is the area prior to touch ups with the airbrush.
Light Blue Crack.jpg
Light Blue Damage.jpeg
During:
Here is what this looked like while touching up.
Light Blue Masked.jpg
After:
Here's what it looks like with the frisket and masking removed!
Light Blue Done.jpg
Okay - so I promised to share the secret of color matching at the end of this post - and here it is.
Go to the App Store on your iPhone - (Not sure if there is a version for Android - but I'd bet there is) DON'T BE CHEAP! LOL - spend $3 for "True Color - Color Mixing Assistant by Snickerdoodle Software, LLC."
This application is awesome! You take a picture of the color you want to match and the application tells you how much red, green, blue, and white to mix to hit it. It really could not be more simple. I highly recommend this application as I would otherwise have no idea what percentages of color to mix to match. I seriously matched this color perfectly on my first try - and then added to the volume of mixed color simply by using this application.
Can you tell what areas of light blue were sprayed and what light blue areas were not sprayed?

I really need your help here. I know you said you used the app and got the color spot on. I have tried using the app for the light blue color without any luck. Do you remember how you did yours? Maybe % of each?

#83 8 years ago

error

#84 8 years ago

My eyes are driving me crazy. Is it correct that there is two types of red? The inline and outline is brighter red? And the pop bumper, sling shot and lane to skull is darker? Or is it different?

#86 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinterest:

I thought it looked the same color but I'll look again when I get home

If that is true, mine has faded a lot
The good news is that I dont have to match one red, right know I am trying to match two reds.

I found a similar playfield here:
http://s582.photobucket.com/user/djscoto/media/T2%20Playfield%20Scan/Scan-090715-0011.jpg.html?sort=3&o=10
For me it looks like two reds? But I don't know if it is my eyes who fool me? (Slingshot/lanes)

Thank you for helping.

1 week later
#89 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinterest:

I looked at mine again tonight - That is not correct - Mine is a slightly different color.

Thank you for looking again.
Could you tell me where it is different? Is it only around the slings?

3 months later
#91 8 years ago

Looking good. Could you share the Free play inserts for the coin door?

2 weeks later
#95 8 years ago

Looking good.
Sunlight really changes everything. I also learned it when mixing colors. All I have done inside where off when I tested outside.
Do you have a plan to redo the warning text on your backbox and if, what will you do?

#98 8 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

Someone posted that "restoration" on Pinside before. Absolute awesome! Using separate material for the fluorescent parts is a lot of labor but I'm sure looks great!

Where the eyes original fluorescent on the cabinet and not red? I have some spare paint if that is the case

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Boards
Slap Save Creations
Boards
$ 21.95
3,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
Decals
4,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
East Hanover, NJ
$ 26.50
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 18.99
Tools
FlipMods
Tools
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
3,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Morgantown, WV
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Led
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Boards
PinSound
Boards
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tezting.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-first?tu=tezting and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.