IMG_3422 (resized).JPG
IMG_3421 (resized).JPG
20170415_132421 (resized).jpg
IMG_3419 (resized).JPG
IMG_3417 (resized).JPG
IMG_3411 (resized).JPG
IMG_3408 (resized).JPG
#1 7 years ago

A friend contacted me last week that he was being given two pins, a Sure Shot and Skylab. We were suppose to meet up today so yesterday he called to confirm and told me that I could have the Sure Shot for helping him pick up the game.

Game was in the garage since the 80s when the family was given the games by a former employer. The husband died earlier this year so the wife is downsizing and passed these games onto my friend whose wife knew the family. IMG_3408 (resized).JPGIMG_3408 (resized).JPG

On the way home. IMG_3411 (resized).JPGIMG_3411 (resized).JPG

Glass is nice, some flaking around the score reels and Game Over IMG_3417 (resized).JPGIMG_3417 (resized).JPG

Cabinet after cleaning out a couple mouse carcasses. Mouse dropping were not horrible but still pretty nasty. Removed bottom panel to thoroughly clean. IMG_3419 (resized).JPGIMG_3419 (resized).JPG

Will post some more pics and progress as I get the game up and running.

#2 7 years ago

No shredded insulation? No stash of food? Where's the fun in that?

Awesome man, good luck. Let me know if you need anything.

#3 7 years ago

Why do mice love pinball machines so?

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Why do mice love pinball machines so?

they like more than pins... pulled the air compressor out the other day and look what i found inside

20170415_132421 (resized).jpg20170415_132421 (resized).jpg

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

A friend contacted me last week that he was being given two pins, a Sure Shot and Skylab. We were suppose to meet up today so yesterday he called to confirm and told me that I could have the Sure Shot for helping him pick up the game.
Game was in the garage since the 80s when the family was given the games by a former employer. The husband died earlier this year so the wife is downsizing and passed these games onto my friend whose wife knew the family.
On the way home.
Glass is nice, some flaking around the score reels and Game Over
Cabinet after cleaning out a couple mouse carcasses. Mouse dropping were not horrible but still pretty nasty. Removed bottom panel to thoroughly clean.

What Taylor's not telling you is that to get that Sure Shot, he traded his AFM that he just finally beat.

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

Game was in the garage since the 80s when the family was given the games by a former employer. The husband died earlier this year so the wife is downsizing and passed these games onto my friend whose wife knew the family.
On the way home.
Glass is nice, some flaking around the score reels and Game Over
Cabinet after cleaning out a couple mouse carcasses. Mouse dropping were not horrible but still pretty nasty. Removed bottom panel to thoroughly clean.

Congratulations!

#7 6 years ago

Playfield should clean up nicely.IMG_3422 (resized).JPGIMG_3422 (resized).JPGIMG_3421 (resized).JPGIMG_3421 (resized).JPG

#8 6 years ago

Congrats on your 1st wedge head..my 1st pin was a wedge as well, and I love it..I'll bet that you'll have another game in short time..but that's not a bad thing..

#9 6 years ago

Nice! Welcome to the very large club of appreciation for this collectible breed of pinball machine. These games are some of the best and most iconic games there are. (Williams and Bally single-players are great too though and often go way more unrecognized)

Only question now is which is gonna be your second? They sure look good in multiples...

Be sure to share some pictures when you are done cleaning it up. Sure Shot is a great game.

#10 6 years ago

I need to find some deals on these. I'm an analog person and recently realized analog is the future of the past... wait. I only understand the concept and they are much easier to repair if parts are available. Looking for a project now.....

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from Spg101:

I need to find some deals on these. I'm an analog person and recently realized analog is the future of the past... wait. I only understand the concept and they are much easier to repair if parts are available. Looking for a project now.....

The nice thing about EM games is that often times you don't even need to wait on parts to arrive like you would for a solid-state game. I *hate* waiting for packages to finish up solid state games and find that for EM games you can often times get it playing and functional without many/any parts at all as long as it is complete to begin with, which more often than not they seem to be. And you can do that while you wait for your parts order for a new ball, new rubbers, etc., all the stuff that isn't required for it to become functional. Love it!

#12 6 years ago

That playfield has great bones. Cabinet looks great too!

I'm currently shopping out a Sure Shot as we speak, so if you find yourself in a bind I'd be glad to help out as much as I can.

#13 6 years ago

Cleaned up the head a little with simple green and melamine. I like the game's patina so I'm not looking to restore but wondered about preserving the paint on the head. Anyone use anything to stop paint from flaking off of the cabinet?

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

Cleaned up the head a little with simple green and melamine. I like the game's patina so I'm not looking to restore but wondered about preserving the paint on the head. Anyone use anything to stop paint from flaking off of the cabinet?

Is is already flaking off or is it just a concern? Because it actually really doesn't happen very much under the correct conditions unless it has already started. (I have a game that does when you rub up against it, oops)

Some people wax their cabinets to protect them from little mishaps but I don't think that would stop flaking paint. Unless it's already flaking heavily with light touches, I wouldn't worry about it.

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from Otaku:

Is is already flaking off or is it just a concern? Because it actually really doesn't happen very much under the correct conditions unless it has already started. (I have a game that does when you rub up against it, oops)
Some people wax their cabinets to protect them from little mishaps but I don't think that would stop flaking paint. Unless it's already flaking heavily with light touches, I wouldn't worry about it.

It is already flaking in spots. Just really small flakes but with cats and kids I'd like to prevent it getting everywhere.

#16 6 years ago

Carefully waxing will help. Try that before something more drastic.

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from bingopodcast:

Carefully waxing will help. Try that before something more drastic.

Will do

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

It is already flaking in spots. Just really small flakes but with cats and kids I'd like to prevent it getting everywhere.

I'm guessing the flaking is due to extreme hot/cold and dry/humid conditions the cabinet went through such as being stored in a garage or outdoor shed. Usually paint jobs on games in hvac-controlled houses hold up good as long as the pin came off route good.

Same problem with playfields and backglasses not being stored properly.

#19 6 years ago

nice pickup Taylor, free rocks!

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

Paint flakes off when the bond with its substrate (wood, glass, whatever) has been lost. Whatever its cause (blunt force, thermal stress, improper storage) you can't get at the layer between the paint and substrate to remedy the loss of adhesion. All you can do is fortify it from above with a liberal application of spray lacquer or the like.

#21 6 years ago

Oops, double post! Ignore.

#22 6 years ago

Congrats Taylor!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Vista, CA
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-first-wedge-head?hl=spg101 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.