Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 40 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by BadBrad97
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Pinball Tournament Card.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chuckwurt.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

So the Louisville Expo will be the first tournament I will try to qualify for. Any tips a first timer must know? Any things you wish you knew your first tourney? Thanks, cannot wait for the expo.

#3 9 years ago
    Quoted from ectobar:

Pace of play is going to be much different than what you are likely used to. Lots of waiting around. It's tough to overcome and takes some getting used to. Try to use your spare time as productively as you can.

Cool. Yeah, I will have my ipad with me. I plan to just research the games in the qualifying bank because most likely I will not have played any of them much less know what to shoot for. So when it is my turn to play a game, I get one game on it, then back of the line again?

Then if I like my score on a particular game I turn that in? Then basically package my best scores on each game to make my strongest qualifying total?

#8 9 years ago

Cool. Yeah, I don't get too nervous when I play because it's just for fun, I just like to be as informed as I can be before I get down to business so I don't make any rookie mistakes.

#10 9 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

wear headphones

I definitely don't want to be that guy sorry haha. No gloves for me either. Like I said, just in it to have fun and maybe get a little lucky.

#12 9 years ago
    Quoted from Arcade:

Well this one is ridiculous, but since you asked......
    I like to pretend I am playing at home, and my wife or someone is yelling at me that we have to leave soon. Because that one last game that I fire up always seems to last forever and makes us very late getting out. Lol.
    But I really just enjoy meeting other pinball players and swapping stories in line.

Holy shit dude I do the exact same thing. My wife even calls me out sometimes, "I just heard you start a new game. Last game my ass." haha. But I totally agree with you, I always like to talk pinball with people who actually care about it too.

#14 9 years ago
    Quoted from williams:

- Unless you hate it, spend some time in the classics division as well.
    blockquote>

I am most excited for the classics qualifying. I will definitely try and qualify for that as well even though it will be much harder since there is only one division for that.

#18 9 years ago
    Quoted from ItsOnlyPinball:

Always keep in mind if you have a bad first or second ball that all you need is one to blow it up. Never count yourself out. Main thing is to just relax as much as possible.
    The games will be set up hard. Meaning, open out lanes, light tilt, and no extra balls so your strategy will most likely be different going in. Great luck!

Sounds like they will be set up like my games at home. I am not even sure if the shoot again light works on my games haha.

#20 9 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

"that guy"?
    You mean the one that wins because he knows when he needs to cut away distractions?
    Okay.

Just saying that I don't take it too seriously. I get that others need it to concentrate, I just don't think it is necessary. BTW, are they listening to music or is it just to drown out the noise? Don't people want to hear the sounds of the games too?

#22 9 years ago
    Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Oh I thought you were RUNNING a tournament....DOH!

haha no worries. I will be doing that too once a year.

#26 9 years ago
    Quoted from Cheddar:

I just listened to a pinheadz podcast with PAPA World Champion Cayle George and he had some great advice for preparing for a tournament based upon whether or not you get any practice time.
    http://www.pinheadz.com.au/podcast/pppo12-pinheadz-pinball-podcast-ep12-pinheadz-mania/

Thanks Cheddar. I will check this out.

#31 9 years ago

haha. This is the second time I have heard about this. Good lord. I guess that is their intimidation tactic.

#36 9 years ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

I will give you some tips about specific games once I'm at the show and see how they play. A lot of times, it comes down to knowing one very specific, simple, and basic thing to put up a big score. Like a specific feed, or bounce, a slap on the cabinet at just the right time, or a ramp to flipper shift/rollover, ect.

Thanks Matt. See you on that Friday if not before then.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chuckwurt.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-first-tournmant-any-tips?tu=chuckwurt and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.