(Topic ID: 108403)

My first time walking away from a pin I went to buy...

By Collin

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 64 posts
  • 41 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by DropTarget
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1105142143a.jpg
1105142144.jpg
mad-max-2-lord-humungus.jpg
There are 64 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 9 years ago

Hi Chris, i am Bruce and i too am a pinaholic. it has been 7 days since my last pin search (on my honor) or may i be touching the hot line whilest someone turns the game on.

See what it is like. Collin didn't last a three days and he started the thread.
Not a pinaholic? Denial!! I think it is time for intervention?? I wonder if he fixed his garage door opener yet?? I have a coat hanger.

#52 9 years ago

I'll remember to carry a small vial of mouse droppings with me when I go buy a used pin...

#53 9 years ago

One of the best Gottlieb 4 players IMO. You done good! After a little cleaning you'll be thankful you got it.

#54 9 years ago

Many years ago when I was earlier in the hobby, I walked away from buying a TAF. Playfield was black with dirt, mansion decals many worn off and something wrong with GI lighting (or many bulbs burned out). It was an awesome price though, the guy just wanted it gone. I felt it was over my head in repair. Guy was so nice that he said name the price I wanted to buy it for? I still passed. BUT, I told him what to get for it off of CL and do not take a penny less - it's true worth - since he was a nice man.

He was so thankful we sat around and talked for another 45 minutes, he gave me a brand new replica John Belushi remake shirt from Animal House and told me to call him in the morning if I change my mind. I called him and said "no thanks" again. He called me back later and thanked me. Sold the game for $600 more than he was thinking before we spoke. Tiny regret but feel good on that one. Every time I put that shirt on I think of that experience and wear it like a badge of honor.

#55 9 years ago

should clean up nice ! good pin for price!!!

#56 9 years ago
Quoted from jasonsmith:

One of the best Gottlieb 4 players IMO. You done good! After a little cleaning you'll be thankful you got it.

Thanks! I totally agree, and think it will be a good project for some time in the cold months ahead.

#57 9 years ago

Cold months = now, Collin.

#58 9 years ago

I just got a call from the person who's machine I walked away from last week. It's a project Speakeasy. I don't know much about the game, I know it doesn't get much love on Pinside, but the price is right.

I hope it's right, the only thing that works on the game is the GI lighting. No Displays or sound, doesn't boot.

But the moral is that sometimes the smart thing to do is to walk away from a deal.

#59 9 years ago

If the price is right go for it!

#60 9 years ago

Let me get this straight, OP... you've bought 29 pinball machines and this is the first time you (almost) didn't buy one you intended on buying? Do you only go look at games that are way underpriced? I can't imagine batting 1000 with 30 at bats. I'm a .500 hitter at best and i only go look when prices are at or below market.

#61 9 years ago

I passed on a whirlwind with a destroyed playfield back in the summer. After some persistence and some good friend to help with leads I found a much much nicer one with no playfield wear. Sometimes it is worth it to just pass on one. But I if I have money I rarely ever pass lol.

#62 9 years ago

I went to go see a Demolition Man that I was told hardly got any play. The asking price was $1800. And quite firm too. It's a game i've been wanting so I went to go take a look.

The machine had around 20-something errors, plus the lock bar was stuffed with pistachio shells and loose change and other garbage. The playfield was smoked and a ball was stuck up where the claw was located. Yeah, I had no problem walking away from that one.

#63 9 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

Let me get this straight, OP... you've bought 29 pinball machines and this is the first time you (almost) didn't buy one you intended on buying? Do you only go look at games that are way underpriced? I can't imagine batting 1000 with 30 at bats. I'm a .500 hitter at best and i only go look when prices are at or below market.

I guess I could've worded that more clearly; I've walked away from a few pins that I went to look at more casually, not necessarily planning to buy but definitely considering buying. More often than not, the games I look at are ones that I really want and are fair prices, or are too-good-to-pass-up deals.

#64 9 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

If the price is right go for it!

The price is right

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Forest Hill, MD
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 64 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-first-time-walking-away-from-a-pin-i-went-to-buy/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.