meanddad_(resized).jpg
Dylan's_Dr_Who_544_(resized).jpg
Dylan's_Dr_Who_543_(resized).jpg
Dylan's_Dr_Who_542_(resized).jpg
Dylan's_Dr_Who_537_(resized).jpg
Dylan's_Dr_Who_534_(resized).jpg
dalek_(resized).jpeg
Dylan's_Dr_Who_524_(resized).jpg
There are 263 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 6.
#152 8 years ago

I'm rebuilding the time expander, can anyone tell me if there's supposed to be grease on the time expander support bracket?

#153 8 years ago

I rebuilt my time expander today, for the most part. I just need to add the plastic next and later on switch out the motor and gearbox. Dylan's_Dr_Who_463_(resized).jpgDylan's_Dr_Who_463_(resized).jpgDylan's_Dr_Who_464_(resized).jpgDylan's_Dr_Who_464_(resized).jpgAs I was cleaning the target buttons, I came across a problem..Dylan's_Dr_Who_466_(resized).jpgDylan's_Dr_Who_466_(resized).jpgThe one opto was broken. I have to get a new one and wait to fix that.Dylan's_Dr_Who_468_(resized).jpgDylan's_Dr_Who_468_(resized).jpg

#154 8 years ago

Hey, Dylan...judging from that third picture, you have old man hands.

And drink a lot.

#155 8 years ago
Quoted from Skyhawk:

I'm rebuilding the time expander, can anyone tell me if there's supposed to be grease on the time expander support bracket?

Bump for info

#156 8 years ago
Quoted from Skyhawk:

NO!!!

No axle grease
No lithium grease
No 3-in-1 oil

Get some silicone spray. Spray all the metal on metal parts, let it soak, then wipe away excess.

faz

#157 8 years ago

I used SuperLube synthetic grease by Synco Chemical Corp.

#158 8 years ago
Quoted from pinball_faz:

NO!!!
No axle grease
No lithium grease
No 3-in-1 oil
Get some silicone spray. Spray all the metal on metal parts, let it soak, then wipe away excess.
faz

We looked through the manual and repair threads and agree. Apparently the former owners must have lubed it. It took some scrubbing to remove the sludge. We chose to use a bit of graphite (remnants of pinewood derby days).

#159 8 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

We looked through the manual and repair threads and agree. Apparently the former owners must have lubed it. It took some scrubbing to remove the sludge. We chose to use a bit of graphite (remnants of pinewood derby days).

Yea, I had the same issue on mine.... some kinds of atomic waste that was very tough to get off.

I would think graphite would wear away really quickly (hence why it works well on the pinewood derby cars). I have three cars with each of my sons. That was a great time and actually just ended for my youngest. He turned 18 Saturday... no more Boy Scouts in his future for a few years anyway

faz

#160 8 years ago

I'm now in a race to get my Johnny Mnemonic back together before you complete Dr. Who. I think we both started tearing down at the same time (a looong time ago). I just finished reassembly and testing to the point where I can flip a ball around, but I'm still missing the entire back panel, hand mechanism, upper playfield, and top ramp.

Nonetheless, it's got to feel great to be approaching the finish line! Good luck!

#161 8 years ago
Quoted from mot:

, it's got to feel great to be approaching the finish line! Good luck!

Dylan needed a nudge here and there but now that he sees the completion coming he's persistant.

#162 8 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

Dylan needed a nudge here and there but now that he sees the completion coming he's persistant.

Dylan is like his dad. He should have it done in time for the 2020 Summer Olympics. I don't think Mot has anything to worry about...

#163 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

. He should have it done in time for the 2020 Summer Olympics

Don't listen to him Dylan. He.s just sore that theres no Special Olympic pinball events he can qualify for.

#164 8 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

Don't listen to him Dylan. He.s just sore that theres no Special Olympic pinball events he can qualify for.

I'm sore from being with you last night.

#165 8 years ago

Great thread and awesome resto! Beelzeboob and skypilot need to get a room though.

#166 8 years ago
Quoted from d0n:

Great thread and awesome resto! Beelzeboob and skypilot need to get a room though.

Sounds like they did already....

#167 8 years ago

We're gonna snuggle up in his RV at Allentown...after he gets drunk with my wife.

Not really sure how that's going to work, though.

#168 8 years ago

Can we get back to Dylan's restoration

Dylan has expressed his wish to bring his game to the Ohio show to let other enjoy it.

#169 8 years ago

Today I fixed the optos on the 5-target assembly. After that I attached the optos to it and put a blue paper around it. Dylan's_Dr_Who_469_(resized).jpgDylan's_Dr_Who_469_(resized).jpgDylan's_Dr_Who_470_(resized).jpgDylan's_Dr_Who_470_(resized).jpgSo I completely finished the time expander after I added the 5 target assembly the plastic and more.Dylan's_Dr_Who_472_(resized).jpgDylan's_Dr_Who_472_(resized).jpgAfter I added it, I thought it looked great and I can't wait to finish this. Dylan's_Dr_Who_473_(resized).jpgDylan's_Dr_Who_473_(resized).jpg

#170 8 years ago

Are we sure this is some guys son allegedly performing a pinball restoration?

I just get this feeling it's some kid held hostage in a basement, being forced to pose with tools and parts.

I mean I don't think he's ever smiling and everything looks so staged.

Forgive me if I'm the only one who feels this way

#171 8 years ago

Seriously? I can't believe some people. I will make sure to tell my son to act more excited on your behalf. In fact maybe we can set up a live feed for you. I reluctantly prompted him to join Pinside and share my excitement and now I remember why. 80% of the work in this game he has done with me standing by his side and I could give a rats ass what you believe.Do us both a favor and drain the thread.

#172 8 years ago
Quoted from turbo20lbs:

I just get this feeling it's some kid held hostage in a basement, being forced to pose with tools and parts.

This is a bona fide restoration, from the cabinet to the playfield. They didn't send out for the cabinet to be done like some others have done (I think that's cheating), and Skypilot is one of the best restorers out there. He's trying to pass on his talent to his kid (who is also my kid when Skypilot disappears for days on end on a bender), and I can assure you that his son has done everything with the guidance of his father...NOT with his father doing it and posing him for pictures.

And he's not smiling in the pictures because now he realizes just how many douchebags there are on Pinside.

#173 8 years ago
Quoted from turbo20lbs:

"it puts the ramps into the pin or it gets the hose again?"

#174 8 years ago

Are you sure the upper flipper is supposed to be a lightning flipper? I just (mostly) finished up a project DW and I believe the manual called out for a regular flipper up there so that's what I put on mine. I'm wondering if that's correct or if you have a better source of info than I do.

#175 8 years ago

We do not. Dylan's game had a lightning flipper in all 3 places. We just swapped them out under the assumption it was the norm.

#176 8 years ago

DW was designed with regular flippers but execs wanted shorter ball times (I think some buyers from France IIRC). They all shipped with lightning flippers. Several games were victims of this swap.

Honestly, the lightning flips don't cause a big disadvantage... it's only an 1/8". The gaping huge grand canyon of an outlane on each side is the real problem

faz

#177 8 years ago
Quoted from pinball_faz:

DW was designed with regular flippers but execs wanted shorter ball times (I think some buyers from France IIRC). They all shipped with lightning flippers. Several games were victims of this swap.
Honestly, the lightning flips don't cause a big disadvantage... it's only an 1/8". The gaping huge grand canyon of an outlane on each side is the real problem
faz

Right, and I have lightening flippers on my lower flippers. My manual lists 20-9734-6 (lightening flippers) as the lower flippers and 20-9250-6 (regular flipper) as the upper left flipper. I know that the manual isn't always accurate so I was looking for input from people more knowledgeable than I am.

Anyway, back on topic. The restoration looks great! I may need you to do my cab

#178 8 years ago

I had a pinball inspector come today, he seems very impressed with my progress, except he wants to replace the pinball with a carrot.Dylan's_Dr_Who_474_(resized).jpgDylan's_Dr_Who_474_(resized).jpgDylan's_Dr_Who_475_(resized).jpgDylan's_Dr_Who_475_(resized).jpg

#179 8 years ago

Well...now you'll just have to strip the whole thing down again to get the micro scratches and guinea pig piss out of the clearcoat.

Nice goin'.

#180 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Well...now you'll just have to strip the whole thing down again to get the micro scratches and guinea pig piss out of the clearcoat.
Nice goin'.

The little pellets will roll down into the Time Expander and lube the mech and as long as they don't block an opto it's all good.

#181 8 years ago

While I was being held hostage in this basement for so long my dad put the bridge rectifiers in the power driver circuit board and explained kind of what they did (I forgot what he said) and showed me how to check continuity. I thought it was pretty interesting.Dylan's_Dr_Who_477_(resized).jpgDylan's_Dr_Who_477_(resized).jpgLater on me and my dad put in the wires on the cabinet and added the transformer. Next I'm going to work on the circuit boards.Dylan's_Dr_Who_478_(resized).jpgDylan's_Dr_Who_478_(resized).jpg

#182 8 years ago
Quoted from tracelifter:

The little pellets will roll down into the Time Expander and lube the mech and as long as they don't block an opto it's all good.

Well, nobody explained how to lube the Time Expander so I thought it was a good idea.

#183 8 years ago

Time Expander doesn't need any lube it will just collect the magic dust and jam it up.
Google Herb's magic dust if you don't know what it is.
Nice job you are doing and as you know that Time Expander is a bitch to rebuild and get working properly.
Keep your fingers away from it when you override the safety switch to test that bad boy will take them right off.

#184 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Skypilot is one of the best restorers out there. He's trying to pass on his talent to his kid (who is also my kid when Skypilot disappears for days on end on a bender)

Actually my guinea pig took that job from you, because the last time you took me out for ice cream, you left me in Texas 50 miles from a phone booth with nothing but an empty waffle cone. And you said you'd be back in an hour to play ball, but you just left to see you other 72 "children."

index_(resized).jpegindex_(resized).jpeg

#185 8 years ago
Quoted from Skyhawk:

While I was being held hostage in this basement for so long my dad put the bridge rectifiers in the power driver circuit board and explained kind of what they did (I forgot what he said) and showed me how to check continuity. I thought it was pretty interesting.Dylan's_Dr_Who_477_(resized).jpgLater on me and my dad put in the wires on the cabinet and added the transformer. Next I'm going to work on the circuit boards.Dylan's_Dr_Who_478_(resized).jpg

Dude...you really need to use some better hand moisturizer. I mean, in that soldering pic, your teenaged hands make you look like you're in your 50s and an alcoholic. What up wid dat???

(Also...I noticed your wedding ring. Congrats on your nuptials! )

#186 8 years ago

You're doing a great job, Dylan. Keep up the great work!

#187 8 years ago

Holy crap theres a lot of wires in these games!Dylan's_Dr_Who_479_(resized).jpgDylan's_Dr_Who_479_(resized).jpg

#188 8 years ago

Wow, man...Crash downvotes me because I tell the kid he's doing a great job.

#189 8 years ago

Glad you are learning this. I had my tech explain to my 15 year old what a scope does and he was like "humph, interesting". (Straight A student though, guess electronics just isn't his thing....)

#190 8 years ago
Quoted from tracelifter:

Keep your fingers away from it when you override the safety switch to test that bad boy will take them right off

sound advice

#191 8 years ago

Doctor Who and Popeye warnings... love it.

DW_MiniiPlayfield_(resized).jpgDW_MiniiPlayfield_(resized).jpg

Popeye
PopeyeWarning_(resized).jpgPopeyeWarning_(resized).jpg

#192 8 years ago

Skyhawk you are doing awesome...love this thread! Keep up the great work the game is looking awesome.

#193 8 years ago

Today I put in the ramps, I (my dad) put in all the stickers on the ramps, it looks pretty nice. A while ago we did manage to start the game too.Dylan's_Dr_Who_481_(resized).jpgDylan's_Dr_Who_481_(resized).jpgI'm waiting to put in the new who-mobile my dad ordered whenever it gets here so I'm leaving the old ones out.Dylan's_Dr_Who_482_(resized).jpgDylan's_Dr_Who_482_(resized).jpgI added the back piece for the time expander. Dylan's_Dr_Who_483_(resized).jpgDylan's_Dr_Who_483_(resized).jpg

#194 8 years ago

BTW... cool idea of using a pool floaty on the cab to keep the wires from scratching the paint/rails.

You should get that idea over to mot's DIY tool thread.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/show-and-tell-your-diy-homemade-tools#post-1155773

faz

#195 8 years ago
Quoted from pinball_faz:

BTW... cool idea of using a pool floaty on the cab to keep the wires from scratching the paint/rails.
You should get that idea over to mot's DIY tool thread.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/show-and-tell-your-diy-homemade-tools#post-1155773
faz

Personally, I would add some towels to fully protect the cabinet, inside and outside.

#196 8 years ago

It is very cool having a kid that likes doing things with their dad. Keith you are a very lucky man. My daughter hates bowling and pinball. And probably cars also.

1 week later
#197 8 years ago

So today I started to do the Tardis USB upgrade, I took apart the Tardis, and removed all the parts to it, then we cut out everything to make it fit.Dylan's_Dr_Who_484_(resized).jpgDylan's_Dr_Who_484_(resized).jpgThen, I drilled out the posts and screwed them in. There was a small issue, it doesn't light up. I'm going to figure out what was wrong with it eventually.Dylan's_Dr_Who_485_(resized).jpgDylan's_Dr_Who_485_(resized).jpg

#198 8 years ago
Quoted from Skyhawk:

Then, I drilled out the posts and screwed them in. There was a small issue, it doesn't light up. I'm going to figure out what was wrong with it eventually.

There's no I in team son.

#199 8 years ago

So Dads turn to interject. We purchased Swinks whomobiles . Dylan has declined to paint them so I will be painting them for him.Say your prayers.

Dylan's_Dr_Who_486_(resized).jpgDylan's_Dr_Who_486_(resized).jpg

#200 8 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

There's no I in team son.

No but there is in time and that watch is huge.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gresham, OR
Machine - For Sale
Bartlett, IL
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

3,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

£ 110.00
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 263 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-first-restoration-with-dad-dr-who/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.