meanddad_(resized).jpg
Dylan's_Dr_Who_544_(resized).jpg
Dylan's_Dr_Who_543_(resized).jpg
Dylan's_Dr_Who_542_(resized).jpg
Dylan's_Dr_Who_537_(resized).jpg
Dylan's_Dr_Who_534_(resized).jpg
dalek_(resized).jpeg
Dylan's_Dr_Who_524_(resized).jpg
There are 263 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 6.
#51 8 years ago

No, sanding without a Festool sucks!!! Best tool I ever bought!

#53 8 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

Will you be at ReplayFX?

Yes, I am going tomorrow and should be there early afternoon.

#54 8 years ago

Hi Skyhawk welcome to the Dr. Who club. Looks like you are making good progress. Here are some mod ideas for you from my video!

#55 8 years ago

Still sanding. Thanks for the ideas. I might try the dalek topper.

#56 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

By the way, buddy, I don't want to hear you whining about sanding when you've got a frigging Festool setup. I did my first one by hand. On the second one, I'm going the full McCune.

LMAO,

showed him today how to hand sand the corners......he was so happy!

#58 8 years ago
Quoted from rgb635:

Here are some mod ideas for you from my video!

Nice video walk through.

Good luck with the sanding.

1 week later
#59 8 years ago

Finally got to do something other than sanding! Misc 013.jpgMisc 013.jpgBut.. I'm still not done sanding. Misc 015.jpgMisc 015.jpgI got to take off the Mylar on the playfield. Misc 023.jpgMisc 023.jpg

#60 8 years ago

Screw the Dr. Who restoration...what's up with that killer IJ playfield in the background of the first pic?

#61 8 years ago

That would be Dads current restoration.

#62 8 years ago

(Hey, kid...I'll give you fifty bucks if you steal parts from your dad's IJ restoration and put it in your Dr. Who. It'll drive him nuts! C'mon...you know you want to!)

#63 8 years ago

Looking good! Now finish that sanding.

#64 8 years ago

So we took advantage of the weather and started doing some priming

image.jpgimage.jpg

image_1.jpgimage_1.jpg

#65 8 years ago

I walked right past that dude at ReplayFX!!!

#66 8 years ago

Randy I was there with Dylan too bad we couldn't run into you

#67 8 years ago

I'm really not kidding. I know I walked past your son, but didn't realize it until after he was past me. Didn't see you with him so I didn't bother him. People mistake me for a creeper around young kids.

#68 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

(Hey, kid...I'll give you fifty bucks if you steal parts from your dad's IJ restoration and put it in your Dr. Who. It'll drive him nuts! C'mon...you know you want to!)

I'll try to. Not that I don't drive him nuts anyway

#69 8 years ago

I got to prime the cabinet today, yet the taping part isn't very fun. But afterwards the priming may have been long and boring but actually it was quite exciting.Misc 029.jpgMisc 029.jpg

#70 8 years ago

I finished priming the cabinet today, now off to painting!

#72 8 years ago

Man, that's lookin' real shiny! Can't wait to see the finished product! I am just starting to get serious about restoration and I love seeing other people being so diligent for motivation. Keep it up Skyhawk!

1 week later
#73 8 years ago

I thought I would keep everyone updated. Dylan's back in school but still waiting to get his cabinet finished.it's been primed sanded primed them touch sanded again and tomorrow evening goes up to the paint booth for color. He still loves sanding

image.jpgimage.jpg

#74 8 years ago

I can see your son is just like dad: He takes 2 years to finish a restoration.

Ah, well...there's always next summer...

(Looks great so far, though!)

1 week later
#75 8 years ago

My dad finished painting the cabinet and it looks amazing. I didn't think it would turn out this nice. Dylan's Dr Who 314.jpgDylan's Dr Who 314.jpgNext I got to put on the cabinet artwork. I only got to do the head tonight but it was fun. Cutting the artwork out was stressful because I thought I was gonna mess it up.Dylan's Dr Who 316.jpgDylan's Dr Who 316.jpgNow for the fun part, putting on the artwork. It was hard but it looked great after it was finished. I loved how well it goes with the paint. Dylan's Dr Who 319.jpgDylan's Dr Who 319.jpgBut I didn't do it all myself. Had a little help here and there.Dylan's Dr Who 325.jpgDylan's Dr Who 325.jpg

#76 8 years ago
Quoted from Skyhawk:

My dad finished painting the cabinet and it looks amazing. I didn't think it would turn out this nice. Dylan's Dr Who 314.jpg Next I got to put on the cabinet artwork. I only got to do the head tonight but it was fun. Cutting the artwork out was stressful because I thought I was gonna mess it up.Dylan's Dr Who 316.jpg Now for the fun part, putting on the artwork. It was hard but it looked great after it was finished. I loved how well it goes with the paint. Dylan's Dr Who 319.jpg But I didn't do it all myself. Had a little help here and there.Dylan's Dr Who 325.jpg

Looking good. Can I hire you to decal my taf?

#77 8 years ago

Nice work! I like the blue on the cabinet, good choice. Keep us updated and the pictures coming.

#78 8 years ago

Looks great Dylan!

Dylans_Dr_Who.jpgDylans_Dr_Who.jpg

#79 8 years ago

Sweet!

#80 8 years ago

I got to decal the rest of the cabinet today. Cutting the holes for the plunger and that is fun. Dylan's Dr Who 332.jpgDylan's Dr Who 332.jpgNext I got to put on the side decals for the cabinet. Its really stressful to cut the artwork but its worth it in the end. Dylan's Dr Who 337.jpgDylan's Dr Who 337.jpgAfter I finished that I put the head on it too see the decaled pinball. It looks amazing especially with the blue paint. Dylan's Dr Who 342.jpgDylan's Dr Who 342.jpg

#81 8 years ago

Dylan - I'm so sorry your father abandoned you to go to the Cleveland show this weekend. Hanging out, having a beer and playing pinball with buddies rather than helping your son with his Dr. Who? I'd never do that to you, buddy. Next time he pulls that crap, you give me a shout. I'll drive out to Canfield and help you out with your restoration. Hell, I'll even buy you an ice cream and throw a ball with you. No worries, man.

The cabinet looks, terrific, btw!

#82 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Hell, I'll even buy you an ice cream and throw a ball with you. No worries, man

I think I just pissed myself laughing.

#83 8 years ago

Wow that came out amazing!!

#84 8 years ago

I just silk screened the back box warnings today, I did the patent label first, then went to the head to silk screen that. Dylan's Dr Who 344.jpgDylan's Dr Who 344.jpgIt looked easy at first, then I realized its harder than it looks.Dylan's Dr Who 345.jpgDylan's Dr Who 345.jpgThe patent label was quite easy to do, mainly because its so small.Dylan's Dr Who 346.jpgDylan's Dr Who 346.jpgThe finished product, except there was a little mistake. I didn't apply enough pressure, so the top was screwed up.Dylan's Dr Who 349.jpgDylan's Dr Who 349.jpgI tried to fix it, but it didnt work out too well, I didn't bother fixing it.Dylan's Dr Who 350.jpgDylan's Dr Who 350.jpg

1 week later
#85 8 years ago

That is fantastic work!!!!

#86 8 years ago

The base color is an interesting contrast to a typical Dr Who cabinet.

Having that sanding setup would spoil anyone

#87 8 years ago
Quoted from johnwartjr:

The base color is an interesting contrast

Wait until you see his powdercoat color. I realized when he started this project I was being to critical of his work/choices. I'm doing an IJ at the same time so I'm not all over him on his game. When we did the silkscreening ,he didn't get it quite correct and I was frustrated and wanted to do it over (not an easy thing ). He looked at me and reminded me it was his game and it did not need to be perfect. I had a DAD moment He was right, its his first restoration an it needs to be enjoyable,not stressful and not perfect. Apparently I'm learning just as much on this project.

#88 8 years ago

If my son had half this much ambition, I'd be deliriously happy.

#89 8 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

Wait until you see his powdercoat color. I realized when he started this project I was being to critical of his work/choices. I'm doing an IJ at the same time so I'm not all over him on his game. When we did the silkscreening ,he didn't get it quite correct and I was frustrated and wanted to do it over (not an easy thing ). He looked at me and reminded me it was his game and it did not need to be perfect. I had a DAD moment He was right, its his first restoration an it needs to be enjoyable,not stressful and not perfect. Apparently I'm learning just as much on this project.

Well, I'm not much on powder coat, but I've mellowed a lot and am at this point where I'm pretty OK with everyone doing whatever they want with their games, if it helps them enjoy them.

Growing up around my father taught me a lot. He's incredibly meticulous. Most measure twice, cut once. Not my Dad. He's more like measure 4 times, think about cutting once, measure 4 more times, and cut. If I hired someone to build me a piano, I'd have absolutely zero qualms that it would be the perfect piano! And I see him in my work frequently.

Having said that, I've learned that not every job is a piano At least not for me. I do quality work, but not every job is piano quality - because some things do not require such precision But, many jobs are piano quality!

#90 8 years ago

I put the legs on the pinball today, it looks great. Putting everything back together is more fun.Dylan's Dr Who 357.jpgDylan's Dr Who 357.jpgI put on brackets to protect the artwork from wrinkling too.Dylan's Dr Who 355.jpgDylan's Dr Who 355.jpg

1 week later
#91 8 years ago

Would you mind sharing the color code for the blue you used on the paint? It looks great!

#92 8 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

Would you mind sharing the color code for the blue you used on the paint? It looks great!

Dylans_Dr_Who_358.jpgDylans_Dr_Who_358.jpg

1 week later
#93 8 years ago

beautiful restoration !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 week later
#94 8 years ago

Can anybody else believe what a great job this kid has done on his restoration? I can assure you that the only help his inept father has given him is to tell him what to do. Skyhawk then shows him how to do it RIGHT. Nice work!

#95 8 years ago

Great job on the restore, Dylan! You should be really proud!

#96 8 years ago

Bumping for an update. I know dad's been too busy trying to get popular by throwing Halloween parties and such. But I was hoping you were able to find a substitute male role model to help you finish it up. I still think you're awesome, Dylan, even if your dad doesn't have time for you. Great job...I wish I had a son like you!

1 week later
#97 8 years ago

Great thread, love to see good restorations...

#98 8 years ago

Yes...there haven't been any updates to this restoration thread since his father abandoned him, though.

#99 8 years ago

Yes, my father did abandon me, I could go for a game of ball and some ice cream, but I have been really busy with school and my play so I haven't gotten to work on it very much. I'll attempt to post more tomorrow.

2 weeks later
#100 8 years ago

I haven't been working much on my pinball in a while but I'll be starting to more. I put in the back piece and laid ground braid on the head of the cabinet. I'm finally getting close to actually working on the playfield. Dylan's Dr Who 358.jpgDylan's Dr Who 358.jpgIts not very shiny, but it looks good enough. Psst beezleboob, my dad isn't around, lets go get some ice cream Dylan's Dr Who 359.jpgDylan's Dr Who 359.jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Johnson City, TN
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 40.00
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gresham, OR
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

£ 110.00
3,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 85.00
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 263 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-first-restoration-with-dad-dr-who/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.