Topic Stats

• 259 posts
  • 72 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by PiscisMagnus
  • Topic is favorited by 37 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 134 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

d5157035c1d4b799c0f68010aac55a711a395dda.jpeg_(resized).jpg
2c07ea4188a63a594cae73de14ba048704577d5e.jpeg_(resized).jpg
Dylan's_Dr_Who_003_(resized).jpg
20160401_135628_(resized).jpg
untitled_(resized).png
Boob_(resized).jpg
2016_pictures_082_(resized).JPG
meanddad_(resized).jpg
Dylan's_Dr_Who_544_(resized).jpg
Dylan's_Dr_Who_543_(resized).jpg
Dylan's_Dr_Who_542_(resized).jpg
Dylan's_Dr_Who_537_(resized).jpg
Dylan's_Dr_Who_534_(resized).jpg
dalek_(resized).jpeg
Dylan's_Dr_Who_524_(resized).jpg
Dylan's_Dr_Who_522_(resized).jpg

There are 259 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.
#1 3 years ago

Hi my name is Dylan, and I am starting my first restoration with my dad. The pinball is Dr. Who and some of the things i have talked about doing are changing the dalek topper to the red supreme dalek. I also plan on powder-coating the legs and rails. I will keep you up to date as we work on this.

Dylans_Dr_Who_001.jpg

#2 3 years ago

I already have a question. Does anyone know if they make a full set of plastics for this game?

#3 3 years ago

Can't wait to see your Dr Who progress.

The awesomeness of your pinball machine is exceeded only by that poster hanging on the wall behind you.

Some interesting reading, if somewhat old:

http://retroblast.com/reviews/plastics.html

Maybe marcospecialties has them? Can't tell right now, looks like their site is down.

#4 3 years ago

My first dayDylan's Dr Who 050.jpgDylan's Dr Who 061.jpgDad can't help but get his hands dirty tooDylan's Dr Who 063.jpg

#5 3 years ago

This is interesting, I'm surprised it still manages to work

Dylans_Dr_Who_062.jpg

#6 3 years ago

Can't wait for more

#7 3 years ago

Dylan, I've been following your workshop upgrade project. You guys did a nice job! Looking forward to your progress on the game, too. Good luck with the restoration!

#8 3 years ago

Hey, Dylan...your father is a god among men, so I'm sure you're a chip off the old block. Best of luck with the restoration. With Dad by your side, you're going to finish it up like a pro. Or at least better than McCune.

#9 3 years ago

I had to laugh, I told Dylan he should consider posting this on Pinside. The first thing you need to do is sign-up. He informs me he signed up weeks ago. So I ask what his name is and he says Skyhawk. Thats my X-Box name he tells me.

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

Can't wait to see your Dr Who progress.
The awesomeness of your pinball machine is exceeded only by that poster hanging on the wall behind you.
Some interesting reading, if somewhat old:
http://retroblast.com/reviews/plastics.html
Maybe marcospecialties has them? Can't tell right now, looks like their site is down.

Quoted from PinBiohazard:

Can't wait for more

Quoted from Razorbak86:

Dylan, I've been following your workshop upgrade project. You guys did a nice job! Looking forward to your progress on the game, too. Good luck with the restoration!

Quoted from beelzeboob:

Hey, Dylan...your father is a god among men, so I'm sure you're a chip off the old block. Best of luck with the restoration. With Dad by your side, you're going to finish it up like a pro. Or at least better than McCune.

Thanks for the encouragement.

#11 3 years ago

I have a question. Is there any mods for Dr. Who?

#12 3 years ago

Yes, some are more expensive than others. Do a search for "USB Tardis". Another motorizes the Dalek in the Topper. Mine has a LED in the end of the eyestalk.

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from BALL_LESS1:

Mine has a LED in the end of the eyestalk.

I was thinking of doing that, that sound really cool. Do you have a picture?

#14 3 years ago

Dylan's Dr Who 162.jpgFinally got the time expander out. It's quite heavy.Dylan's Dr Who 147.jpgDylan's Dr Who 078.jpg

#15 3 years ago
Quoted from Skyhawk:

I was thinking of doing that, that sound really cool. Do you have a picture?

No I don't. I'm 2000 miles from home right now, so I can't even snap a picture of it.

#16 3 years ago

What shape is your Time Expander cover in? They usually have the corners bashed.

#17 3 years ago

I would focus on the mechanics, cleaning and parts before I thought about mods. Good luck, I'll be following this thread with great interest. Dr. Who is an incredibly fun game.

#18 3 years ago

I love doctor Who, plus any project a father and son can share is even better.

#19 3 years ago

What a cool father son project. As a new dad, I hope to have this experience with my son one day. Enjoy the journey, guys!

Ryan Claytor
Elephant Eater Comics
www.ElephantEater.com

#20 3 years ago
Quoted from BALL_LESS1:

What shape is your Time Expander cover in? They usually have the corners bashed.

My time expander is in good shape, no cracks or broken pieces.

#21 3 years ago

Have fun Skyhawk, if your dad gets grumpy at all during the process just make him a strong cocktail.

#22 3 years ago

What a great gift from your father. Not the pin, rather the knowledge. The skills you are going to learn will translate over to the rest of your life. Good luck!

#23 3 years ago

Finished clearing off the bottom of the playfieldDylan's Dr Who 233.jpg

Quoted from centerflank:Have fun Skyhawk, if your dad gets grumpy at all during the process just make him a strong cocktail.

I'll keep that in mind.

#25 3 years ago

Fun game. Great to see someone young taking such an interest in something and putting in the work.

#26 3 years ago

Will you be at ReplayFX?

#27 3 years ago

Looking good Skyhawk! Makes sure you don't let Skypilot screw it up. I'll tell you this now. The tear down is the easiest part of a restoration. The cleaning of parts is the hard part. Take you time and make ever part the best you can , it will all come together .

#28 3 years ago

Doing great work so far. Stripping this down so quickly is making me feel bad my Highspeed swap is going on 2 years sitting in the rotisserie

#29 3 years ago

When rebuilding the Time Expander take your time. It's worth the added time to get it correct as the optos in there can be a pain when not working properly.

#30 3 years ago

I finished stripping the playfield. Now onto the hard part.Dylan's Dr Who 252.jpgDylan's Dr Who 254.jpg

#31 3 years ago

Good job! I do restorations with my dad as well, albeit I am twice your age Love to see Doctor Who getting restored. Mine will get that one day.

#32 3 years ago
Quoted from Skyhawk:

I made a mod that I really enjoy. I bought a gold dalek model from Barnes & Noble. They sell products from Running Press, which also has its own website. I bought the 3 1/2 inch model for $11.

I took it apart, placed a couple of 3mm LEDs in the head for the "talking" lights. Then I wired those with a 470ohm resister and hooked that up to a flasher and pin 7 of J127 on the power board. This pin parallels pin 2 on J128. I use J127 so I can run the send wire through the snake that runs to the playfield. J128 runs to the backbox to activate the dalek topper. Next, I mounted the dalek over the "cliffhanger" switch. So now every time the topper dalek speaks during video mode, the dalek on the playfield lights up in syncopation. It's really cool! I'll try to place a pic later. I don't have a smart phone, so placing a pic is a process. More later...

#33 3 years ago
Quoted from PinPall007:

I made a mod that I really enjoy. I bought a gold dalek model from Barnes & Noble. ....Next, I mounted the dalek over the "cliffhanger" switch. So now every time the topper dalek speaks during video mode, the dalek on the playfield lights up in syncopation. It's really cool! I'll try to place a pic later. I don't have a smart phone, so placing a pic is a process. More later...

We need details ! This sounds great!

#34 3 years ago
Quoted from Skyhawk:

One mod that the game seems to be screaming for are replacements for the Whomobiles - the black, blocky ones on the machine are the biggest letdowns for me...

#35 3 years ago

You`ll need a set of these before you a through. (shameless plug) starting to ship in about two weeks.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-fs-bally-williams-warning-stickers

#36 3 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

Will you be at ReplayFX?

I'm not sure

#37 3 years ago
Quoted from PinPall007:

I made a mod that I really enjoy. I bought a gold dalek model from Barnes & Noble. They sell products from Running Press, which also has its own website. I bought the 3 1/2 inch model for $11.
I took it apart, placed a couple of 3mm LEDs in the head for the "talking" lights. Then I wired those with a 470ohm resister and hooked that up to a flasher and pin 7 of J127 on the power board. This pin parallels pin 2 on J128. I use J127 so I can run the send wire through the snake that runs to the playfield. J128 runs to the backbox to activate the dalek topper. Next, I mounted the dalek over the "cliffhanger" switch. So now every time the topper dalek speaks during video mode, the dalek on the playfield lights up in syncopation. It's really cool! I'll try to place a pic later. I don't have a smart phone, so placing a pic is a process. More later...

sounds interesting. I'd like to see it

#38 3 years ago
Quoted from Clnilsen:

One mod that the game seems to be screaming for are replacements for the Whomobiles - the black, blocky ones on the machine are the biggest letdowns for me...

This mod will replace the cliffhanger Whomobile.IMG_1233.JPGIMG_1234.JPG
The close-up shows the 3mm LEDs I used. Making this mod requires a Dremel and some microbits for drilling tiny holes. It's not a hard mod to make, if you're good at model building and soldering. I'll try and post a video of it working when I get the chance to do it. I still have yet to figure where to place a diode in the current, due to the fact that the lights flash whenever a coil fires, although it looks cool when it flashes. So maybe I won't bother with that.

#39 3 years ago
Quoted from PinPall007:

This mod will replace the cliffhanger Whomobile.IMG_1233.JPGIMG_1234.JPG
The close-up shows the 3mm LEDs I used. Making this mod requires a Dremel and some microbits for drilling tiny holes. It's not a hard mod to make, if you're good at model building and soldering. I'll try and post a video of it working when I get the chance to do it. I still have yet to figure where to place a diode in the current, due to the fact that the lights flash whenever a coil fires, although it looks cool when it flashes. So maybe I won't bother with that.

That looks really cool. I might try that.

#40 3 years ago

I'm now working on the cabinet. The head is finished and I'm starting to work on the actual cabinet. So my dad told me to take a lot of pictures. I'm now up to 293.Dylan's Dr Who 275.jpgDylan's Dr Who 293.jpg

#41 3 years ago

Here are some other models that Running Press makes. I used the Enterprise in my Data East Star Trek. It's battery powered to 4.5v. So I just added a resistor and wired it into the GI. It's a lot cheaper than buying a Hallmark ornament.IMG_1235.JPGIMG_1236.JPGIMG_1238.JPG
If you have the skill, its cheap and easy to make these work in you pin. I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to use K-9. He might cover the other Whomobile. He's battery operated so when you press the button on his back he says, "Affirmative, master!" and his visor lights up bright red.

#42 3 years ago

I have a question. I'm considering painting the cabinet blue instead of the traditional black. What do you think?

#43 3 years ago
Quoted from Skyhawk:

I have a question. I'm considering painting the cabinet blue instead of the traditional black. What do you think?

Inside or entire thing?

#44 3 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

Inside or entire thing?

The entire thing

#45 3 years ago

Finished up the cabinet. Now onto sanding and paintingDylan's Dr Who 307.jpgDylan's Dr Who 306.jpg

#46 3 years ago

That cabinet is pretty nice for original.

#47 3 years ago

That cabinet looks better than mine!

#48 3 years ago

Sanding sucks.Dylan's Dr Who 309.jpg

#49 3 years ago

Finished sanding the outside. Dylan's Dr Who 313.jpg

#50 3 years ago
Quoted from Skyhawk:

Sanding sucks.Dylan's Dr Who 309.jpg

By the way, buddy, I don't want to hear you whining about sanding when you've got a frigging Festool setup. I did my first one by hand. On the second one, I'm going the full McCune.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 279.95
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Golden, CO
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Massillon, OH
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 159.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
€ 4.99
Flipper Parts
Multigame
Machine - For Sale
Bellefonte, PA
$ 129.00
Lighting - Led
LED OCD
$ 279.95
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 109.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Boards
PCB Emporium
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 28.00
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 259 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside