795F456B-96CD-4895-8386-9D41B5390E38 (resized).jpeg
0CE038C4-EA17-465B-AFF4-7E011FE3DC7B (resized).jpeg
translight (resized).jpg
824AB754-25C2-44F2-81E6-854572F36312 (resized).jpeg
D22F7E5E-5AC0-46EF-A8AD-A4545C844B93 (resized).jpeg
22BA494A-B720-4C33-A6D7-C61D0A76169B (resized).jpeg
1A43D7AA-0E6B-4057-9960-165C6541E1E9 (resized).jpeg
DF20EF35-5D08-4A6A-9334-A422822F69ED (resized).jpeg
There are 100 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 8 years ago

Over the past few years, I have done lots of pinball repair, but never an all out restoration.

Recently I picked up a HUO Pinbot that would be nearly CQ if it only had some minor work done on the playfield, and the badly faded cabinet repainted.

I decided that screwing that up would put too much pressure on myself, so I decided to get some experience on a less valuable (to me) game. I have a weak spot for terrib^h^h^h^h cheap pinball machines. One of my pride an joys right now is the Popeye machine that is sitting in my living room.

Enter now: One rotted out Street Fighter II:
Yeah, it's as bad as it looks.Yeah, it's as bad as it looks.

This machine met a couple of key requirements for me: 1. It's solid state. 2. It's cheap. 3. I won't be drawn and quartered if I screw it up. and 4. IT'S CHEAP.

So my goals for this machine are: 1. repaint/refinish the cabinet. 2. Touchup and clear coat the playfield 3. Have the rails and legs powder coated. 4. Generally get the machine back into playable condition.

So how rotted out is the poor machine...Well lets just take the tour:
Something is missing here...Something is missing here...
Yup, it's missing not only the car, but the plexiglas cover that goes over it was busted up so bad, it just fell out. This may be hard to replace. So far google skills have failed me, and I have not been able to find a replacement. If anyone knows where I can find a replacement, it would be most appreciated.

It looks like this poor machine sat out on someone's back porch, and it faded and rotted in the elements. Just about all the metal on the exterior is rusted..

some one sand blast me please.some one sand blast me please.

I am hoping the rails and legs will survive sand blasting and powder coating. Down the road I will have to decide what color they will be.
fade...fade...fadefade...fade...fade
Lucky for me, the transite is one of the more commonly available items at a reasonable price.

Warp?Warp?
I don't think this ramp is supposed to look like this....

blown....blown....
More rust on the insideFactory??Factory??
I don't think this was installed at the factory like this either. In my review of the machine, I did discover the coil under it was dead.

So what is good about the machine? Well first of all, it is complete. Second, The boards are all there, and more or less seem to be in good working order. The DMD is in good shape. So far I have fixed the flippers and playfield GI lighting (dirty relays contacts), and have diagnosed three dead coils.

Hey! Something that works!Hey! Something that works!

My immediate goal is to more or less get all the coils and switches working before I start to strip down the playfield. I would rather assemble a know working machine than try to fix all the wayward coils and switches while I am assembling everything.

My immediate challenges include: finding a source for the graphics on the cabinet, and replacing the plexiglas plate in the playfield. Any help on those would be appreciated.

#2 8 years ago

That's gonna take a lot of work but I can see you are up to it. For the cab and bb art have you thought about scanning each piece, having it fixed and then have decals made? Lots of info on PS from people who have done that with great results. I thought I saw a Street Fighter 2 club here on PS.

#3 8 years ago

Excellent project! I love projects where these (cheap) pinballs are brought back from the dead ...

1 week later
#4 8 years ago

So after a thorough going through, the mechanical dammage was quite extensive, but fixable.

1. Just about every fuse in the playfield had the incorrect value in it. The scary part is that a lot of them were 10 amp fuses where 1 amp and 1.5 amp fuses should have been. This may have contributed to problems 2 and 3...

2. The left ramp lift coil was pretty much melted out. A replacement has been ordered.

3. The right kicker coil would stick on. That turned out to be a bad diode on the coil, and a burned out driver transistor. It is now working again.

4. The flippers would not work. I cleaned up the flipper power relay, and now they work fine.

5. Same thing with the playfield GI lighting.... dirty relay leaf switches.

6. The car bash playfield flipper would not work. This turned out to be a mis-aligned relay under the playfield.

7. The left lower ball kickup was out (where the golf ball was). This turned out to be a broken wire at the coil terminal. Easy fix.

8. All the playfield flashers were not working. This turned out to be a bad resistor mounted to the playfield (no voltage at the lamps).

So next up is stripping down this very very dirty playfield.

Let there be light!Let there be light!

BTW, if you know anyone parting out a street fighter, I still need a bunch of parts: Both ramps, and the car pit cover! I think I can get the ramp off FeeBay, but I have yet to see the car pit cover for sale anywhere!

Whoo Hooo! A box of parts!  The first of many.Whoo Hooo! A box of parts! The first of many.

#5 8 years ago

Don't forget to check with PBResource for parts. I am always surprised at the stuff they sometimes have.

For instance, they still had ramps for Rescue 911.

For the car pit cover, if it's that clear piece, you can probably cut that of lexan.

8 months later
#6 7 years ago

I haven't forgotten about this thread. I am still working on the machine.

The playfield is out and stripped, and a first layer of clear is on it.

IMG_4250_(resized).jpgIMG_4250_(resized).jpg

I made the decision to remove the factory mylar off the playfield as I plan to clear the playfield. That turned out to be a mixed blessing, because in the process of removing the mylar, paint did come off the playfield in a few places, especially around the light inserts. You can really see it in this picture:

IMG_3977_(resized).jpgIMG_3977_(resized).jpg

So I have started the process of trying to touch up the playfield. I am using Createx acrylic paint, along with a Motolow black acrylic marker for the black areas. This is also the first time I have used Frisket.

IMG_4304_(resized).JPGIMG_4304_(resized).JPG

I have started out trying to touch up a few of the areas on the playfield that are not typically seen by the player. This gives me a great chance to screw up... Here is my attempt at touching up a ball trail near the top of the playfield.

IMG_4264_(resized).jpgIMG_4264_(resized).jpg

The color match isn't perfect, but I hope clearing the playfield will help to hide the color differences. I do now know why they say if you are going to repaint, do an entire area to the border. You don't have to have the color perfect in these situations.

So far I have learned a few things.
1. You initial clear coat should not be a light coat. You need to put it on thick enough to fill in any paint chips. This a mistake I made. You can really tell where I have touched up the paint chips because of the difference in texture.

2. Frisket will pull off Motolow acrylic. Save those touchup till last.

3. Createx will pull up even after being heat treated. I am hoping that roughing up the surface with 600 grit sand paper before applying the paint will help with it's adhesion. Otherwise, painting colors next to each other will get interesting.

#7 7 years ago

Cool project. Always good if a pinball is 'saved' and I kinda like SFII. One day I hope to do a total tear down and clearcoat on one of my games myself (Road Kings, or other). Good luck, and please show us your progress.

#8 7 years ago

Used to have this game. Had many fun hours playing it.

Once you get use to the stop-start-stop nature of the game it's quite a fun game, especially if you liked SF2.

Best of luck with the restore.

#9 7 years ago

Love me some SF2! Better than dropping it off the roof

#10 7 years ago

More playfield painting.

The orange was hard to match, and even now I don't think my match is perfect.

One thing I learned doing this playfield is that you can use transparent Createx paint, buy you have to put a base coat under it. In the case of my Gottlieb Orange, the base coat ended up being a light gray.

I started with a test patch with an base coat of opaque white, and that was too bright. I experimented to the right of my white patch with varying degrees of gray, and I settled on one drop of black paint per 5ml of white paint for my base coat.

IMG_4314_(resized).JPGIMG_4314_(resized).JPG

so on my test patch, first the gray went down.
IMG_4310_(resized).JPGIMG_4310_(resized).JPG

Then I went over it with the transparent orange.
IMG_4312_(resized).JPGIMG_4312_(resized).JPG

The results were just a touch darker than the existing paint, but I think that if I go just a little lighter (say 7.5ml per drop of black), It will come out right on. Otherwise, I can just use this color and paint to the lines, and I don't think anyone will notice.
IMG_4315_(resized).JPGIMG_4315_(resized).JPG

You will notice I am not doing much about the dings in my playfield. The only spots I patched up are where wood came out when I removed the metal guides. My plan was to just do a light coat of clear, and address the playfield issue, however, now I wish I had done a heavier coat of clear so all the imperfections in my paint won't come through so bad. I hope to top coat of clear will cover a lot of these imperfections up.

#11 7 years ago

You're doing great! This is a great project to learn on.

#12 7 years ago

I got alot of street fighter parts really cheap from PBR I even got a new upper playfeild for really cheap think it was less then 50$

#13 7 years ago

Another trick I picked up last night doing my test patch: When using heat set paint like Createx, use your heat gun to set the paint before you take up the frisket. This cuts down on the paint peeling up. Also make sure the paint and frisket are cool before you peel off the frisket. Otherwise the frisket will leave behind some adhesive. If it does leave behind adhesive, you can clean it up with naphtha.

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from iron00monkey:

You're doing great! This is a great project to learn on.

Thanks. I purposely picked this machine to learn on before I take down and pull apart my HUO Pinbot. It needs some minor playfield work, and the cabinet repainted. The cabinet is nearly perfect except for the horribly faded paint.

1 week later
#15 7 years ago

Some progress today... I painted part of the cape.

I did learn that if you press too hard with the exacto knife, it will leave marks. I tried applying frisket over the stripes on the cape, and was not happy with the results. As you can see, my attempts to mask them off left behind some marks. Hopefully the decals will hide these.
Here is the before photo:
IMG_4428_(resized).jpgIMG_4428_(resized).jpg

And here is the finished product. I will apply the decals as one of the last steps before I clear coat the playfield, as I am sure they won't stand up to having frisket applied over them.
IMG_4434_(resized).jpgIMG_4434_(resized).jpg

4 weeks later
#16 7 years ago

More progress tonight. I finally got out and did my mass orange paint...

I adjusted my gray base a little lighter than my test area, and I think the result was very close to match to the original color.

So here it is all masked up and ready to go...

IMG_4517_(resized).jpgIMG_4517_(resized).jpg

Then I laid down the light gray base color.

IMG_4525_(resized).jpgIMG_4525_(resized).jpg

Then the transparent Orange went over the top of it.

IMG_4526_(resized).jpgIMG_4526_(resized).jpg

I think the results were pretty good. One think I have learned is that you have to be just as careful removing the frisket as you do putting it on. If you pull it up wrong, it will take the paint with it. I have a few spots of white that came up when I frisket over it.

IMG_4527_(resized).jpgIMG_4527_(resized).jpg

I did screw up two spots... One was where I completely brain farted... and forgot my orange overcoat, and another spot where the orange was a touch too light. No big deal, I will just set up and shoot these spots again in a few days (I hope).

IMG_4528_(resized).jpgIMG_4528_(resized).jpg
brain fart..brain fart..

Next up, I will start to shoot white areas again.

#17 7 years ago

Again: impressive!

4 months later
#18 7 years ago

So a lot has happen since August... My wife and I finally got to buy our dream house. Fortunately for me, attached to it was my dream shop! I spent the month of November and December getting everything moved over to the new house, and getting my shop set up. Over the Christmas holidays, I have gotten more done on Street Fighter than I did in the last 6 months...

I have shifted away from the playfield for a bit to concentrate on the cabinet. I finished stripping out the cabinet, and started to replace the bottom. It was water damaged fiber board that had sagged pretty badly.

IMG_4841 (resized).JPGIMG_4841 (resized).JPG
IMG_4840 (resized).JPGIMG_4840 (resized).JPG

I found out that on system 3 machines, they use 3/4" fiber board, routed to 1/4" round the edges. The bottom is set into about a 5/16" gap around the bottom of the machine. To get it out, you have to knock out one of the plywood sides near the bottom. I am planning on replacing it with two layers of 1/4" plywood.

IMG_4849 (resized).jpgIMG_4849 (resized).jpg
IMG_4850 (resized).jpgIMG_4850 (resized).jpg

Currently, I am sanding the rest of the cabinet in preparation for filling the dents, and hopefully painting when the weather warms up.

IMG_4876 (resized).jpgIMG_4876 (resized).jpg

#19 7 years ago

So tonight was all about Bondo.... I started to patch over the dents in the side, and the holes in the front of the cabinet. The cabinet is not in that bad of shape, and should clean up well. I with the same could be said of the head...
IMG_4889 (resized).jpgIMG_4889 (resized).jpg

I am going to try to sand the back, but I think that may have to be replaced.

#20 7 years ago
Quoted from uncivil_engineer:

I think that may have to be replaced.

Replace it with plywood or MDF?

5 months later
#21 6 years ago

Well this is turning out to be one of the longer restorations on pinside. However, I am making progress.

The playfield touchups are done, and I have the first coat of clear on the playfield. I hope to get a heavy coat of clear on the playfield this weekend.

After I sanded the first coat of clean on the playfield, I am starting to realize that just maybe it does look a little better than before I started. I don't think my final playfield will be mistaken for a NOS playfield, but it will look better than when I started.

Painting the cabinet was an adventure. It was the first time I had used an HPLV spray gun, and there was a lot more over spray than I anticipated. The floor in my shop now has a blue tint to it. IMG_5501 (resized).JPGIMG_5501 (resized).JPG
Like the playfield, the cabinet is not perfect. I have some runs on the inside that I will need to sand down, and possibly recoat.

IMG_5510 (resized).JPGIMG_5510 (resized).JPG

IMG_5500 (resized).JPGIMG_5500 (resized).JPG

#22 6 years ago

It's great to follow your progress on this massive job, but have to say it's looking good!

1 month later
#23 6 years ago

Did you by any chance capture any pictures of you disassembling the upper play field area? I need to do some work on mine but the upper area is a labyrinth of fasteners. I haven't the foggiest where to start...

#24 6 years ago

The art on this game could of been so much better. Be cool if they came out with a SF3 pin or something to make up for it.
your restoration is coming along. I have a pinbot and funhouse that are in need of a makeover as well. Thanks for posting your project, it's always helpful seeing these.

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from smitherssp:

Did you by any chance capture any pictures of you disassembling the upper play field area? I need to do some work on mine but the upper area is a labyrinth of fasteners. I haven't the foggiest where to start...

Lucky for you, I happen to have the album on my phone...

IMG_5427 (resized).jpgIMG_5427 (resized).jpg
IMG_5426 (resized).jpgIMG_5426 (resized).jpg

#26 6 years ago

As a general update, I am still clearing the playfield. I put a heavy clear coat down on it last week, and have sanded it flat. The lesson I learned from that, is that you don't want to sand too aggressively. I sanded it through to the color in a few spots. Hopefully I'll be able to cover it up before I put on the next coat.

#27 6 years ago

As a general update, I am still clearing the playfield. I put a heavy clear coat down on it last week, and have sanded it flat. The lesson I learned from that, is that you don't want to sand too aggressively. I sanded it through to the color in a few spots. Hopefully I'll be able to cover it up before I put on the next coat.

use a flat board when sanding clear id start with 1000 then 1500 then 2000 all wet sand and then 3 stage buff orbital and finish with a swirl remover and then lay on the canuba!

#28 6 years ago

I had some divits I had to fill from a dropper full of clear, and to speed up getting through those spots I've been using 600 wet dry. I plan on putting one final coat of clear on it before moving on to the final polishing.

#29 6 years ago

600 is too rough for clear thats for bodywork and primer

#30 6 years ago

Thank you so much! This will be easier than I anticipated. I think I can get to the three screws that hold the rear metal bracket on without disassembling anything else. I need to lift it up to place the habittrail prongs under that holder.

2 months later
#31 6 years ago

Some of you might be aware of the disaster my clearcoat turned out to be, but a friend of mine was kind enough to sell me another playfield. This restoration kind of took a back seat to other projects until last week when I decided this thing needs to get finished up, and out of my shop.IMG_6074 (resized).JPGIMG_6074 (resized).JPG

#32 6 years ago

Great job . Even M. Bison himself would be happy!!!!

#33 6 years ago

More fresh cabinet shots..I test fit the glass tonight. I had to reuse the old plastic rail inserts as they are not available anymore.IMG_6076 (resized).JPGIMG_6076 (resized).JPGIMG_6077 (resized).JPGIMG_6077 (resized).JPG

#34 6 years ago

More progress tonight, as the ground wire went in along with the transformer. No I've got to figure out how to secure the ground wire without buying an upholstery power stapler. I only need to do about 12 staples.IMG_6081 (resized).JPGIMG_6081 (resized).JPG

2 weeks later
#35 6 years ago

I got through a couple of major milestones today: first power up test, and installation of the new playfield!

The new playfield is in pretty good shape, and will need a lot less work than my original playfield to get it looking nice. Part of me feels bad that I put all that effort into restoring the playfield only to have the clearcoat process ruin it.

IMG_6166 (resized).JPGIMG_6166 (resized).JPG

IMG_6171 (resized).JPGIMG_6171 (resized).JPG

#36 6 years ago

i remember your post about getting back to this project on WCPC but it's cool to see where it came from and all the progress you've made since.

glad this thing is getting saved!

1 week later
#37 6 years ago

Looks great, street fighter is such an under rated machine i love mine

#38 6 years ago

Part of me feels bad that I put all that effort into restoring the playfield only to have the clearcoat process ruin it.

But should you undertake another full restore, you know better what to do?!

Overall I think it's looking Great!

#39 6 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

But should you undertake another full restore, you know better what to do?!
Overall I think it's looking Great!

That was one of the reasons I picked this machine for my first full up restoration. I wanted to learn on this one before I tackle another more expensive and less forgiving machine.

#40 6 years ago

I got through a couple of major milestones today: first power up test, and installation of the new playfield!
The new playfield is in pretty good shape, and will need a lot less work than my original playfield to get it looking nice. Part of me feels bad that I put all that effort into restoring the playfield only to have the clearcoat process ruin it.

Chalk it up as lesson learned. Game is still coming out great. Cabinet looks fantastic.

#41 6 years ago

I am curious: what happened with the clear coat? Do you have pictures of it? What went wrong?

#42 6 years ago

That cabinet is very impressive, nice work!

#43 6 years ago
Quoted from La_Porta:

I am curious: what happened with the clear coat? Do you have pictures of it? What went wrong?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fisheye-in-clearcoat-what-went-wrong

#44 6 years ago

I could salvage it, but the replacement playfield I have looks better without any work.

#45 6 years ago

So I have the new playfield pretty much stripped down for cleaning. Notice that I have not removed any of the pressed in rails and the screw in posts. I learned my lesson on my last playfield, don't remove the railings unless you absolutly have to. They rarely come out cleanly. The screw-in posts all have blue lock tight on the threads, and they have a bad habit of shearing off unless you can get some good heat on them.
IMG_6230 (resized).JPGIMG_6230 (resized).JPG

As I am cleaning I am contemplating how to polish the mylar on the playfield. It looks pretty glazed over from years of wear. I have tried 2500 grit sand paper, followed by glazing paste, and then novus 3 and 2. So far I have not found a combination that doesn't leave a haze behind. Here is one of my test spots. You can just make out the haze on the surface. I really want to find a solution I can apply by hand, as I tend to have an aversion to using power equipment on playfields.

IMG_6233 (resized).JPGIMG_6233 (resized).JPG

One last issue I am addressing are a few broken angles on the ball guides. I think this is a common problem with SF2, as both playfield have broken guides in the same spot near the yoga flame hole. So I am drilling out the some of the angles from my original playfield to use them on the new playfield. I still am up in the air as to how I am going to attach the angles. The proper way would be to rivet them on, but I don't have the equipment to do that. I am thinking some 4-40 cap screws with polished heads may do the trick.
IMG_6236 (resized).JPGIMG_6236 (resized).JPG
IMG_6237 (resized).JPGIMG_6237 (resized).JPG

#46 6 years ago

Perhaps rivets themselves would work well?

#47 6 years ago
Quoted from La_Porta:

Perhaps rivets themselves would work well?

The problem is I don't have a press to install the rivets. However, I am beginning to thing rivets would be the best answer.

hmm.... I may have space issue.

IMG_6239 (resized).JPGIMG_6239 (resized).JPG

#48 6 years ago

Something simple like this would suffice. They sell them at any hardware store.

https://www.amazon.com/Tacklife-40-Piece-Plastic-Different-Included/dp/B073VKHXNT/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1

#49 6 years ago
Quoted from La_Porta:

Something simple like this would suffice. They sell them at any hardware store.
amazon.com link »

That is a pop-rivet gun. Pop-rivets are a little softer than the original steel rivets, and cap screws I am thinking of using, but it is an option.

#50 6 years ago

Yes softer for sure, just an idea as I’m sure you don’t have a steel press at home! All the best with this, live made a lot of progress. I found it interesting as I love SFII...I’ve got one of the arcade machines.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Marietta, GA
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 100 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-first-restoration-street-fighter-or-this-thing-should-be-dead and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.