94 - LED Anti-Flicker PCB (resized).jpg
92a - Backbox Mounted (resized).jpg
92b - Backbox Mounted (resized).jpg
92c - Backbox Mounted (resized).jpg
93b - Left Flipper Rebuilt (resized).jpg
93a - Left Flipper Original (resized).jpg
91d - Top Mounted Ball Kicker After (resized).jpg
91b - Top Mounted Ball Kicker Before (resized).jpg
There are 114 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
#101 4 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

Hmmm...is there a way to address the occasional situations where the ball hits the sling lightly, the coil fires, but there is no chime sounded or score incremented? Replace the diodes (tho I had always thought diodes are an all-or-nothing failure, not intermittent)?

Well other than modifying the software, the only way to resolve that is with capacitors. Try them and see how you go. If the slingshots machine gun, you'll have to try tweaking the switches to eliminate it.

#102 4 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Well other than modifying the software, the only way to resolve that is with capacitors. Try them and see how you go. If the slingshots machine gun, you'll have to try tweaking the switches to eliminate it.

They shouldn't if the blades are straight and adjusted properly.

#103 4 years ago

Near-final pix. The playfield still looks reflective even with the playfield glass removed because of the playfield protector. With the playfield protector, ball motion is fast and smooth, and it's a quick and easy way to level out the cupped inserts.

95a - Nearly Done (resized).jpg95a - Nearly Done (resized).jpg95b - Nearly Done (resized).jpg95b - Nearly Done (resized).jpg95c - Nearly Done (resized).jpg95c - Nearly Done (resized).jpg95d - Nearly Done (resized).jpg95d - Nearly Done (resized).jpg95e - Nearly Done (resized).jpg95e - Nearly Done (resized).jpg95f - Nearly Done (resized).jpg95f - Nearly Done (resized).jpg
#104 4 years ago

Personally I'm not a big fan of playfield protectors, but yours looks crystal clear & very reflective, so it looks really nice. Well done!

I've never had the pleasure of playing this game, but it looks like a fun shooter & I like the the idea of blackjack over the usual poker themes. So put it in the scoop to collect bonus whenever you hand is beating the dealer? I'll have to look into some gameplay video

EDIT: Just watched. That's a great game. Wish Mata Hari had a spinner like that. Fun to rip & beat the dealer. Cool use of the chimes too! Will look nice next to your Mata Hari

#105 4 years ago

Fun fact, if somehow you launch a new ball and the first thing it hits is the spinner, the game will tilt! At least mine would.

I thought it was me touching it causing an issue but it was in fact true. Then one day it actually happened in play. How you might ask? The ball snuck down the right passage ran around the rim of the saucer, bounced off the post below the saucer, arced over the three pop bumpers and into the spinner, TILT!

#106 4 years ago
Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

Fun fact, if somehow you launch a new ball and the first thing it hits is the spinner, the game will tilt! At least mine would.
I thought it was me touching it causing an issue but it was in fact true. Then one day it actually happened in play. How you might ask? The ball snuck down the right passage ran around the rim of the saucer, bounced off the post below the saucer, arced over the three pop bumpers and into the spinner, TILT!

That was a bug in the software. Quench told me about it when I was working on updated code for BlackJack and found that bug. I removed that undesirable feature when I rewrote the way the dealer saucer is handled so you can lose points instead.

#107 4 years ago

I still need to rebuild the pop bumpers and experiment with putting caps on some switches, but since the wife was complaining about tripping over the pin (it's sitting in the middle of the room while I work on it) I went ahead and moved it to the "Classic Bally Row" section of our rec room. My original intent was to teach myself restoration techniques on a basket case pin and if it came out ok resell it, but after a few dozen test games the simplicity of this game is really starting to grow on me. I might just keep it!

Robotworkshop - I'll PM you soon on how to get your updated code.

IMG_7625 (resized).jpgIMG_7625 (resized).jpg
#108 4 years ago

Thats a great looking row!

#109 4 years ago

Really nice work. Black Jack has simple but excellent rules. It forces you to learn tap passing.

5 months later
#110 3 years ago

OK, note to self: when moving a pinball machine around with a coffin trolley on thick carpet with somewhat minimal directional control, be sure to pad the surrounding pinball machines in case of inadvertent contact.

I was putting my Eight Ball Deluxe back into position between Mata Hari and Black Jack after spending a few weeks installing a hardtop, painting the cab, and going thru a shop job when I clipped my recently-completed Black Jack. Arrgh! Like a fender bender in a parking lot between a 4x4 truck and a Mini Cooper, there wasn't a scratch on my EBD but BJ needed a trip to the body shop for repairs.
Ooops (resized).jpgOoops (resized).jpg

#111 3 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

OK, note to self: when moving a pinball machine around with a coffin trolley on thick carpet with somewhat minimal directional control

I know your pain. Ive had that happen many a time with my pin cart.
Nice job on the patch work.

5 months later
#112 3 years ago

Having some fun setting up and learning how to record (and stream) gameplay using my Black Jack as a guinea pig. Still working thru better lighting placement and I'll probably add a face cam in place of the low-rez Game Room graphic on the left.

Pretty easy to roll this game over, even on the 3 ball setting. Here in my video test game I got 895K.

#113 3 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

Having some fun setting up and learning how to record (and stream) gameplay using my Black Jack as a guinea pig. Still working thru better lighting placement and I'll probably add a face cam in place of the low-rez Game Room graphic on the left.
Pretty easy to roll this game over, even on the 3 ball setting. Here in my video test game I got 895K.

To avoid that, I set my Bally games to 3 balls, but have the scoring settings to 5 ball or conservative, so it scores lower. Helps to keep rollovers to a minimum.

5 months later
#114 2 years ago

So long, Black Jack. I learned a lot and you were fun! Just sold her a couple of weeks ago to a local family adding to their game room - I've got to make room for a new project! It's his first pin, and I think I found her a good home that I can maybe visit once in a while.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 22.50
$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 99.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 114 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-first-restoration-1977-bally-black-jack-ss/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.