photo5_zpsddc5eb8c.jpg
photo3_zps6ce03cad.jpg
photo2_zps4f3c7a13.jpg
photo1_zps21aa06ba.jpg
2013-04-20_07-49-42_77_zps895797bd.jpg
2013-04-20_07-49-17_328_zps7bfcb8f4.jpg
swingers2.jpg
#1 9 years ago

I just got back from a 700 mile drive (round trip) to get a FT (could have been 1400):

I got tired of the high prices in AZ (Just look at CL and on here for the crazy prices that we have to deal with here) so I did some searching on CL in a certain radius. I found a guy selling a Fish Tales in Utah for under 2K 100% working, no cabinet fade, no broken plastics and a pretty good playfield (out of the few 3-4 I have actually seen in AZ this one is the best looking).

I was originally going to have to make the 1400 mile drive to pick this machine up. I had family up in Utah and there was still some snow on the ski hills, so I said what the heck. Fortunately, the seller is a movie director and WSOP player and had a tourney in Las Vegas. The idea was to just meet there and I would pick it up. So, not only did we meet halfway, he negotiated on price too. I can’t even find a player’s condition “B” pin here for what I got this FT for.

To make matters even better I got to stop by the Pinball Hall of Fame twice and had a fantastic time (I don’t know how many pins already had credits in them and how many times I hit a match, but my 7 dollars lasted hours). I also got to do a bit of gambling while I was there. I usually lose a little or come out even. This time I made over twice what I bought FT for. A few sports bet’s, some blackjack, and slots really made for a great time. I found a 5 seater Avatar slot machine where I could bounce from seat to seat after hitting a big win. I put 20 in, had 6 free beers, and cashed out at 680.50 after playing for 2 hours!

So all-in-all, I got a great pin at an even better price that was paid for by finally winning in Vegas. Out of the year of shoddy dealings here in AZ, I finally got my positive trip. It totally restored the fun of pinball that was gradually being lost.

I’ll post pictures of the trip later today as well as some FT pics!!

#2 9 years ago

Sounds like a very productive trip. Congrats!

#3 9 years ago

Sounds like a big fish tale to me.

#4 9 years ago

Great story. Sounds like a deal you can feel good about in many ways. Happy for you!

#5 9 years ago

Utah's loss is Arizona's gain

Congratulations

#6 9 years ago

Vegas Baby!

Always double down!

swingers2.jpgswingers2.jpg

#7 9 years ago

HOW BIG WAS IT?

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from FightNightFZ:

Out of the year of shoddy dealings here in AZ, I finally got my positive trip. It totally restored the fun of pinball that was gradually being lost.

I thought i gave you a very fair deal on the WWF and figured that was positive.

P.S. The AZ market is not as bad as you make it out to be. Make friends and give fair deals (and stop complaining all the time) and you will find many more people selling for decent prices. It could be a lot worse you could be in the CA market.

Congratz on the pickup FT is awesome and sounds to be in way better shape than mine is. put LED's in it it looks 50 times better IMHO. If you get bored of it and are thinking about selling im always looking to upgrade to a better FT than mine.

If you need any help with FT hit me up, i have been through it many times now and know some of the common problems and fixes.

#9 9 years ago

sounds like a solid road trip!

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from Jdawg4422:

I thought i gave you a very fair deal on the WWF and figured that was positive.

Yep, never mentioned our deal as a bad one anywhere. The WWF is my work in progress and once the ramp is made then it'll be pretty nice. I've had plenty of offers but turned them down, it's one of the only original pins I purchased that is left standing.

Quoted from Jdawg4422:

P.S. The AZ market is not as bad as you make it out to be. Make friends and give fair deals (and stop complaining all the time) and you will find many more people selling for decent prices. It could be a lot worse you could be in the CA market.

Well you might have had better experiences than me. I agree it could be CA and I have made overly fair deals (thus usually coming out on the wrong end due to getting a little impatient *i'm working on it*) and this market is still above average though I have seen some more reasonable deals/offers lately. It's tough to make "pin" friends when a good part the people I meet just end up spending time bashing other area "pin" people (all I hear is "don't trust so and so", "this guy is only in it to rip you off", etc). I'm not saying there is not any good to be had in the area (You seemed pretty cool in the 30 minutes I met you, Chris that runs the Cerakote shop is cool, Firebird Kris is nothing short of helpful and professional, Paul from D&D is one of the coolest people I have ever met), but my purchasing/selling experiences are not there. I don't want to complain but it's too easy when I'm bored at work lol and it's a good outlet to voice frustrations and learn from others on here, so it has helped.

Quoted from Jdawg4422:

Congratz on the pickup FT is awesome and sounds to be in way better shape than mine is. put LED's in it it looks 50 times better IMHO. If you get bored of it and are thinking about selling im always looking to upgrade to a better FT than mine.

Thanks man, I am ordering the LED kit and ColorDMD so it should look really nice soon. I was lucky to find this deal and even better, meet a pin head that is a movie director/WSOP player. When I decide it's time to move on I'll hit you up first.

Quoted from Jdawg4422:

If you need any help with FT hit me up, i have been through it many times now and know some of the common problems and fixes.

I guarantee you'll hear from me, I could always use some help.

#11 9 years ago

Here are some until I can upload my whole trip when I get off work!

jsadimp.gifjsadimp.gifphoto51_zps6535bf8b.jpgphoto51_zps6535bf8b.jpgphoto23_zps04e71b24.jpgphoto23_zps04e71b24.jpgphoto12_zps03490ad5.jpgphoto12_zps03490ad5.jpgphoto11_zps5cb53e1b.jpgphoto11_zps5cb53e1b.jpgphoto5_zpsddc5eb8c.jpgphoto5_zpsddc5eb8c.jpgphoto3_zps6ce03cad.jpgphoto3_zps6ce03cad.jpgphoto2_zps4f3c7a13.jpgphoto2_zps4f3c7a13.jpgphoto1_zps21aa06ba.jpgphoto1_zps21aa06ba.jpg2013-04-20_07-49-42_77_zps895797bd.jpg2013-04-20_07-49-42_77_zps895797bd.jpg2013-04-20_07-49-17_328_zps7bfcb8f4.jpg2013-04-20_07-49-17_328_zps7bfcb8f4.jpg

#12 9 years ago

Not sure why some posted upside down though

#13 9 years ago

nice purchase. Congrats.

#14 9 years ago

Very nice...a steal!

#15 9 years ago

Thanks for the kind words everyone, it was a great trip. I can't wait to upload the pics of the hall of fame. If that place was rearranged a little better and had a few upgrades it would be pretty nice. The drug deal going down on the first time I went and the homeless hooker with a kid that wanted to trade "hand-outs" the 2nd time left a little sour taste though lol. I don't think my kids felt too safe until we got inside.

#16 9 years ago

Glad you're happy with your game. That's what this hobby is all about... those moments of happiness. Thanks for sharing.

#17 9 years ago

Yeah I agree, it has made my whole first year worth it. Plus my kids faces when I turned it on and let them play last night, Priceless!

#18 9 years ago

beautiful game! not sure what i think about the black fishing rod for the plunger think i prefer the chrome. No drill holes for a lockdown bar as well! Nice find!

#19 9 years ago

Good for you, man!! What was already going to be an awesome trip got substantially more awesome! I'm happy for ya.

#20 9 years ago
Quoted from RyThom:

Good for you, man!! What was already going to be an awesome trip got substantially more awesome! I'm happy for ya.

Yeah I ended up bringing my wife and kids. My wife was not happy about the whole thing at first but after seeing the pin in person, having a sitter for the kids in Vegas, and winning our trip costs back, I think I'm out of the doghouse for the time being............until I ask if I can preorder T Big Lebowski lol

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from Jdawg4422:

beautiful game! not sure what i think about the black fishing rod for the plunger think i prefer the chrome. No drill holes for a lockdown bar as well! Nice find!

I agree that the chrome looks better, but I'll take what I can get!

#22 9 years ago

Nice dude! That is a great score. One of my favorite pins as well. Congrats!

#23 9 years ago
Quoted from Prosedsp:

Nice dude! That is a great score. One of my favorite pins as well. Congrats!

Thanks man, did you ever find that LOTR?

#24 9 years ago

A nice catch no doubt! Is that cab original or decals? The colors are vibrant.

Get the shooter chromed if the black ever gets to you, especially since you got the pin for such a good price.

I've been enjoying my FT more and more lately.

#25 9 years ago

To me, half the fun in this hobby is the hunt. Every machine I have has a story, and when I play one, I can't help but reminisce about the road trip and the excitement of getting a new pin! However, I don't think I've had any trips as good as yours! "You done good"!!!

#26 9 years ago
Quoted from FightNightFZ:

Thanks man, did you ever find that LOTR?

A buddy is loaning me his for the time being. It is a sweet pin... FT has always been one of my top 10 pins, I Iove the gameplay and the flow. Road-trip pickups are great, PINBELL is right, the stories from the hunt are awesome!

#27 9 years ago

Nice decals

Congrats

#28 9 years ago

I messaged that guy up in Utah a bunch of times and could never get him to reply. That ad has been up for a loooonnnggg time, not sure why it didn't sell right away for the price he wanted. Glad to see you are moving up in the pin world Fight!

#29 9 years ago
Quoted from Squeakman:

I messaged that guy up in Utah a bunch of times and could never get him to reply. That ad has been up for a loooonnnggg time, not sure why it didn't sell right away for the price he wanted

I think initially it was because he has so many projects going on and always travelling. Eventually he had his assistant take over the selling and I just got lucky that I was the one contacted back. I noticed it was up for 2 months so I was worried that they either forgot to take the ad down or it was a stinker. I asked what the lowest they were willing to go, just to see, and they knocked a good bit off the price. So, even if it was a little beat up it still would have been worth it!

Quoted from Squeakman:

Glad to see you are moving up in the pin world Fight!

Yeah slowly buy surely I am getting some better titles lol

#30 9 years ago
Quoted from Prosedsp:

A buddy is loaning me his for the time being. It is a sweet pin...

Yeah it is, I got to play one at a pinsiders house up in Glendale for a bit and was impressed. I don't have a lot of play time on newer sterns

Quoted from Prosedsp:

Road-trip pickups are great, PINBELL is right, the stories from the hunt are awesome!

I was initially worried because of my doomsday thinking but it turned out great!

#31 9 years ago
Quoted from MMP:

A nice catch no doubt! Is that cab original or decals? The colors are vibrant.
Get the shooter chromed if the black ever gets to you, especially since you got the pin for such a good price.
I've been enjoying my FT more and more lately.

Well I'm not too sure how to tell the difference but when I saw Shoot_Again comment, I did the best I could to look closely and feel it. From what I can tell it seems original to me, it looks and feels like my Indy 500 which doesn't have decals and is fading.

#32 9 years ago

She's home and set up. My mini man-cave is going okay. Now I just gotta post the pictures of my trip.

10402527_10101445476320776_6154166140771815695_n.jpg10402527_10101445476320776_6154166140771815695_n.jpg

#33 9 years ago

Fish tales is one of my favorite games .....it's a keeper ...congrats on your new pin bud ....

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

12,500 (OBO)
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 109.00
Cabinet Parts
Starcade Amusement

$ 26.50
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

6,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, CA
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 220.00
Playfields
Pinball Haus

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 84.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Watertown, MA
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 8.50
Hardware
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-first-positive-buying-experience and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.