(Topic ID: 24556)

My first poll: Do you lean on a machine with your palms?

By Chitownpinball

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 34 posts
  • 25 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by yzfguy
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“How do you rest your hands?”

• Hands free to the side, slapping the buttons. 5 votes
      4%
    • Hands with palms flat on machine, fingers on buttons. 107 votes
      88%
    • Other (Explain) 9 votes
      7%

(121 votes)

#1 11 years ago

I have noticed lately that I lean a lot on the machine while I play. My palms are on the lock down bar and my thumbs both lay on the glass and lock down bar. My fingers stay on the buttons the whole time, never coming off unless the ball drains. It's just my style, and I don't know why. It does cause some wrist fatigue though and I have contemplated working on getting out of the habit, but we will see. Does any one else do something like this or similar?

#2 11 years ago

Sh*t I put this in the marketplace on accident. DOH!

#3 11 years ago

I alternate all the time. My fingers and palms get sore sometimes from marathon play so I change stance and which fingers and if my palms press etc.. all the time.

#4 11 years ago

Palms like you say except I try to balance my weight between my legs and my hands, if that makes sense. Reduced the hand strain.

#5 11 years ago

Palms on the lock down bar,just overhanging and gripping the corner of the lock down bar until I need to do a slap save. I do slightly lean forward and put some of my weight on the machine.

#6 11 years ago
    Quoted from Pin_Crazed:

Palms like you say except I try to balance my weight between my legs and my hands, if that makes sense. Reduced the hand strain.

Amen! Sometimes, when I get really into a game, I'll start leaning on my palms with more and more force. This position can be quite painful on your wrists after a while. Whenever I become conscious of it, I try to straighten up a bit and relieve some of the pressure.

#7 11 years ago

I tend to stand with one leg back, evenly ballanced, light on the flippers with an aggresive posture. Probably stand a bit low since i dont like to be over the machine.

#8 11 years ago

One foot forward the other one back about 2 feet knees bent hands lightly resting on LDB with thumbs lined up with the siderails.
    I shuffle foot position.
    I had to learn to stop standing feet together leaning on the bar, my wrists can't take it and if the game has magna save I can't get to the buttons fast enough with my weight on my palms and I can't slap the buttons.
    If I fall back to my old style of play my wrists remind me not to do that.

#9 11 years ago

Started sweating today and slipped off the chrome on my CV today. wasnt good.

#10 11 years ago

I lean my chest on the lock down bar with my body at a 45degree angle from the floor so my face is close to the action!

#11 11 years ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

I lean my chest on the lock down bar with my body at a 45degree angle from the floor so my face is close to the action!

Photo please

#12 11 years ago
    Quoted from tracelifter:

if the game has magna save I can't get to the buttons fast enough with my weight on my palms...

ya this is an issue for me too...one of the reasons i need to adjust.

#13 11 years ago

Only my thumbs touch the lockdown bar.

#14 11 years ago

I tend to rotate styles as I play, once I get to the 'multiball dance' stage, there's no telling what stance I'll take, sometimes I'll switch to Lyman/pro stance (aka the insane crouch), sometimes hovering over the buttons with the hands.

Sadly, a pro stance is not magical, and will not make me play more like a pro.

#15 11 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

Amen! Sometimes, when I get really into a game, I'll start leaning on my palms with more and more force. This position can be quite painful on your wrists after a while. Whenever I become conscious of it, I try to straighten up a bit and relieve some of the pressure.

Quoted from tracelifter:

One foot forward the other one back about 2 feet knees bent hands lightly resting on LDB with thumbs lined up with the siderails.
    I shuffle foot position.
    I had to learn to stop standing feet together leaning on the bar, my wrists can't take it and if the game has magna save I can't get to the buttons fast enough with my weight on my palms and I can't slap the buttons.
    If I fall back to my old style of play my wrists remind me not to do that.

Much more well articulated then I said, stance is something that takes time to get the right one for you. But once you get one it will reduce the strain on your wrists and elbows.

#16 11 years ago

Ive started to rest my knee on the front of the cab and my other back a bit. Im trying to get my head to stay lower and see the whole playfield at once (easier said then done). Elbows bent and head low. Thumbs just touching glass and using index or ring finger (or both) on the buttons.

#17 11 years ago

I only lean against mine when the shaker motor is going.

#18 11 years ago

#19 11 years ago

I do a wee bit of leaning on the machine. Then sometimes my hands will be lightly placed on the machine. TS makes you learn to rely on other flipper buttons, so not much leaning for that one.

#20 11 years ago

HAHAHAH matt!

#21 11 years ago
    Quoted from blondetall:

LOL!

Quoted from Pin_Crazed:

Much more well articulated then I said, stance is something that takes time to get the right one for you. But once you get one it will reduce the strain on your wrists and elbows.

Once you get into the habit of changing foot position and bending your knees you are lower to the glass and it changes your center of gravity and it is impossible to lean on your wrists.
    Also when you nudge it is more effective because you are pushing the game forward instead of down.
    I have tried the Stetta dance but it just doesn't work for me like it does Rick.

#22 11 years ago

I am a fairly heavy leaner, I know why too. When my kids were little they always had a stool. They even stood and watched me play, so I would put my feet behind the stool and lean in the machine. Became my position of comfort. I stand closer now for sure, but still lean.

#23 11 years ago

I lean on it as well unless I am playing DM. I use the handles on DM and it as actually more comfortable. Did not like it at first but I really like it now.

#24 11 years ago
    Quoted from ovfdfireman:

I am a fairly heavy leaner, I know why too. When my kids were little they always had a stool. They even stood and watched me play, so I would put my feet behind the stool and lean in the machine. Became my position of comfort. I stand closer now for sure, but still lean.

I never thought about it, but me too! I got so used to them sitting on the stool in front of me!

#25 11 years ago

I'm 6'9'' so leaning is required. Tough to do marathon sessions because I put too much weight on the machine and my forearms/wrists really begin to feel it. I try to keep my back straight though. My back only feels it when I'm leaning over trying to fix these bastards.

I also LOVE the DM handles. Makes life easier.

#26 11 years ago
    Quoted from blondetall:

Thats what I love to hear sugar!

#27 11 years ago
    Quoted from absocountry2:

I lean on it as well unless I am playing DM. I use the handles on DM and it as actually more comfortable. Did not like it at first but I really like it now.

I'm afraid my DM is going to ruin me for playing with regular flipper buttons. It is definitely more comfortable as I normally lean so hard on other games my wrists hurt after long sessions. Easier to nudge with the handles also.

#28 11 years ago

Palms on the lockdown bar corners, but not really leaning (not putting weight on them), just touching.

#29 11 years ago

Seems to me that most of the best players use a very light touch on the machine and flippers. They certainly don't lean on it.

#30 11 years ago
    Quoted from Tweedlefuzz:

Ive started to rest my knee on the front of the cab and my other back a bit. Im trying to get my head to stay lower and see the whole playfield at once (easier said then done). Elbows bent and head low. Thumbs just touching glass and using index or ring finger (or both) on the buttons.

Another photo please

3 years later
    #31 7 years ago

Bumping this to get some more input. This was my second post on here and I thought it was a decent question. I still lean a lot on my palms, and with my wrist being re-constructed, doesnt go so well all the time. I dont do enough dead flips and slap passes, i tend to just go with the flow and let the shots fly where they may, ha.

#32 7 years ago

Thumbs on the inside of the side rails, not leaning, and slapping at the buttons...

#33 7 years ago

Leaner and a nudger here.
    Not a slapper.
    Definitely not a bang-backer or a death-saver.

#34 7 years ago

I never thought about it, but I just played a dozen or so games, and sure enough, I have the lockdown bar corner dent!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-first-poll-do-you-lean-on-a-machine-with-your-palms and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.