SDC11297.JPG
SDC11601.JPG
SDC11686.JPG
SDC11284.JPG
SDC11602.JPG
SDC11603.JPG
SDC11605.JPG
#1 11 years ago

This was a huge learning experience for me and I found out first hand on what it really takes to do one of these things right. Time, patience, and talent. And I need to work on all three.
There are many things I would have done different but I am very happy with the results.
Following some of Vids guides were a huge help also.
Here are some before and after shots. hope you like it.

Before shots:

SDC11284.JPGSDC11284.JPG SDC11285.JPGSDC11285.JPG SDC11287.JPGSDC11287.JPG

#2 11 years ago

After shots
As you can tell by the camera dates, its been a little while since I've done this. but I was unsure about posting pics.

SDC11605.JPGSDC11605.JPG SDC11603.JPGSDC11603.JPG SDC11602.JPGSDC11602.JPG

#3 11 years ago

Great job!

#4 11 years ago

Thanks SM
some more pics.

SDC11284.JPGSDC11284.JPG SDC11686.JPGSDC11686.JPG SDC11601.JPGSDC11601.JPG

#5 11 years ago

you should be super proud of that! damm i would have easily sent you my BK PF's and paid you to do those after seeing these!
do you have any pics of the stencil/paint process??

#6 11 years ago

Looks good brutha!

#7 11 years ago

Thanks Is1chris, The paints I used were the acrylics and fine brushes. But on my next one I'm going to air brush. I have to add that my wife help me with some of the coloring too, Cause i'm a bit colorblind. I have a huge problem with reds and oranges. Makes working on playfields a bit of a challenge. LOL

Thanks Mudflaps!

#8 11 years ago

more...

SDC11297.JPGSDC11297.JPG SDC11597.JPGSDC11597.JPG SDC11600.JPGSDC11600.JPG

#9 11 years ago

hmmm, nails instead of wire forms. WTH This was the case in two other locations.
There was also a plastic post that was nailed into the playfield with a drywall nail. Once I removed it I filled it in with wood epoxy. Sanded it smooth and after clear coating I then re-drilled the post hole.

SDC11299.JPGSDC11299.JPG

Post edited by bpull : added some process notes SDC11303.JPGSDC11303.JPG

#10 11 years ago

Looks good . Nice job

#11 11 years ago

here is one of the mistakes I did make. using the Magic foam a little too aggressively.

MF.jpgMF.jpg SDC11598.JPGSDC11598.JPG

#12 11 years ago

looking real good- like seeing it come along

#13 11 years ago

thanks tatman and lladnip.

fullplayfield.jpgfullplayfield.jpg

#14 11 years ago

after

full_playfield.jpgfull_playfield.jpg

#16 11 years ago

ya would not call gorgar a easy playfeild either- kind of a golden age for the art & think theres alot of detail going on there, ive been doing a play feild touch up lately on another machine, and been thinking when i play gorgar, some day ,your next , your gonna be a little tricky.

did you have any real prob spots that were an unexspected pain?

#17 11 years ago

Fantastic job on the PF - how many hours you think it took?
Gorgar is an outstanding pin

#18 11 years ago

lladnip, the toughest was the yellow I was using didn't cover very well. I had to do several coats. Next time, I'm air brushing. I sure had fun making this shine though, a little stressful at times too.

Thanks Deadcity, I'm not sure how many hours exactly but it was several weeks of working on it. An hour here, two hours there. That also would have been less time if I used an airbrush and better paints, i think.

Also being new to playfield restoration made it even slower. But I was eager to try it, and make it as nice as I could for myself.

#19 11 years ago
Quoted from bpull:

I have to add that my wife help me with some of the coloring too, Cause i'm a bit colorblind. I have a huge problem with reds and oranges. Makes working on playfields a bit of a challenge. LOL
Thanks Mudflaps!

A bit colorblind? That is an understatement... I seen your first shot at the red. Just messing!!

#20 11 years ago

LOL Time to post pics of your BSD playfield restore. Come on now. Share!

#21 11 years ago

Great job, looks awesome!

#22 11 years ago

playing
I do have a display out and need to find one. The back glass also needs some attention. There are a few areas missing some paint. Thats going to be a bit more challenging.

Brian

playing.jpgplaying.jpg

#23 11 years ago

bpull, so did you lift the old mylar?

Also, so what did you do after you touched up the playfield with paint? Did you just wax? or did you clear coat?

#24 11 years ago

Hi revmex,
Yes, I removed all the old Mylar using the freeze spray method. Then I used Goo Gone and flour to remove the glue that was still on the playfield. Yes, I did clearcoat it after paint touch up. I used the Minwax Polycrylic clear gloss in a spray can. I put on about 5 coats. Lightly sanding between each coat. Then after 2 weeks I waxed it and starting putting it all back together.

#25 11 years ago
Quoted from bpull:

hmmm, nails instead of wire forms. WTH This was the case in two other locations.
There was also a plastic post that was nailed into the playfield with a drywall nail. Once I removed it I filled it in with wood epoxy. Sanded it smooth and after clear coating I then re-drilled the post hole.

Post edited by bpull : added some process notes

mine had nails too! I'm examining the field and making a list of what i need to order. So you added ball guides? I wonder if the ball would slam into the switch before they added the nails?

#26 11 years ago

Check this out, bpull.

http://www.seriousviewers.com/spooks/bg.htm

It's a method of backglass repair done by Alan Lewis.

#27 11 years ago
Quoted from revmex:

mine had nails too! I'm examining the field and making a list of what i need to order. So you added ball guides? I wonder if the ball would slam into the switch before they added the nails?

The biggest problem the nails caused for me was that they scratch the artwork off on the bottom of my plastics. So I believe that the ball was probably hitting the leaf switches pretty good.

Quoted from Prmailers:

Check this out, bpull.
http://www.seriousviewers.com/spooks/bg.htm
It's a method of backglass repair done by Alan Lewis.

Prmailer, that is some great info, Thank you. This is just what I think I'll do since the areas that are missing on the backglass are pretty detailed.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-first-playfield-restore-gorgar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.