(Topic ID: 758)

My first pinball.

By BigJoe

14 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 14 years ago

So i have finally decided that i want to buy myself a pinball machine. The only problem is I don't know where to start. Do I want a new or used? Which are some good machines that aren't horribly expensive? What should i consider before buying one? Any advice you can give me would be awesome. Hell maybe you are looking to get rid of one.

#2 14 years ago

Here are some budget pins that are really fun and would be nice for a first pin.

- Bride of Pinbot
    - Bram Stoker's Dracula
    - Data East Simpsons
    - Jurassic Park
    - Terminator 2
    - The Getaway
    - World Cup Soccer
    - Judge Dredd
    - The Shadow
    - Dr. Who
    - Fish Tales
    - Taxi
    - Earthshaker
    - Whirlwind

If you have a bit more cash to burn, take a look at Twilight Zone, Addams Family, The Simpsons Pinball Party, or The Lord of the Rings. I feel that they're all top 10 games but they don't quite venture into that prohibitive price range territory. My favorite two pins are Twilight Zone #1 and Simpsons Pinball Party #2, but there are lots of cheaper machines that would be great for a first time buyer.

#3 14 years ago

Try before you buy!

Go to a place with a lot of pinball machines and pick the one YOU like

#4 14 years ago

Welcome .. get ready for a ton of good advice. It might help if you could tell us approximately where you live (at least the state or country) or add it to your profile. I know people are often hesitant to give personal info but that would help us in your search/purchase.

#5 14 years ago

That's quite a good list Jar155 hooked you up with for starters...
    I personally am a huge fan of doing extensive research. I know not everyone is so excited to do their homework before they make a purchase, but the way I see it is this - if you're going to unload a substantial amount of cash on entertainment, than it's best to know as much as possible going into the purchase so that you will ultimately get the most enjoyment for your dollar spent!

Most people aren't quite as anal as I am, but I've been reading up on various pinball machines for over a year (yes, I know it's been a long time), and have yet to make my first purchase. I know that when I finally do buy my first pinball machine that I will bring it home with absolutely no regrets!

Oh, one last thing. I believe that each and every pinball machine has it's own personality, if you will - just like people. Certain pinball machine's will excite one person more than the next. I guess you really need to ask yourself what it is you are looking for in a pinball? Are you wanting a game that has a strong/deep rule-set (and arguably more replay value), or are you just wanting something that looks nice and provides you a bit of pleasure as you bang a few pinballs around without really needing to think too hard or strategize much...

There are so many different elements that combine to make a specific pinball what it is, and that combination of different things (The playfield with or without it's toys and ramps, the sound and music, the lightshow, how the game plays, and the fun-factor, etc) make each game individually unique!

Best of luck in your seach for a pinball machine that has some or hopefully most of the things you want in one package, and fits into your budget!!!

#6 14 years ago

Indeed an excellent list by Jar155! And don't forget the Pinside "Bang for your buck" list too: http://pinside.com/pinball/top-100/bangforbuck

Colb has some very good points: don't go blindly on the opinion of others. For example: A game with great depth (LOTR) might not be your theme (maybe too much violence). A game with great flow (Demolition Man) might not have your artwork (ugly). What's important? That's up to you.

Ben also has a valid point: if you can, try to find a place with many pins so you can play some. You could try the World Pinball Map (http://pinside.com/pinball/community/map) to find someone near you and contact them to ask if you can come over and play a bunch of games - just to get a feel for what you want in a game.

Good luck on your first game.

#7 14 years ago

I live about an hour north of San Francisco. Thanks for all the info guys. Its really helping.

#8 14 years ago

One thing you want to pay attention to is condition ,
    Playfield and backglass are #1 & 2 but its also whats inside that you may want to avoid.
    if you can take a look inside the machine look for anything that appears odd
    such as lamp wire, more then one transformer, parts with other mfg name on it.
    well you get the idea you dont want to bring home someones 'hack job' even though
    your new don't be hesitant to ask questions if the seller starts getting defensive maybe he has something to hide?

#9 14 years ago

Check out the post maldoror made about the craigslist power search. You live in one of the best areas for machines. If I lived there I'd buy this one in a heartbeat but that's because I like machines from that era. You need to pick your own that fits you best for your first machine. I'd love to get a gameplan machine as they are next to impossible to find.

sfbay.craigslist.org link

Go do the the search on www.havelistings.com and make sure to click on the Show City/Server List first to select your areas. Then just search on PINBALL. BTW GB .. love that link

#10 14 years ago

Use this public pinball locator to find pins in your area. I see several good ones in San Fransisco.

http://www.pinballrebel.com/locator/pinsearchform.php

#11 14 years ago

ya i was looking at that sharpshooter machine. good price too.

#12 14 years ago

I too was contemplating that one (sharpshooter)...in the end, I can't justify the price given the various results I have read on RGP (with a big grain of salt of course too). The general consensus was it was about the best there was for Game Plan and yet still a bit weak. Bottom line, for me, at best I doubt it would appreciate in value and at worst think that currently 450 is its max price it will ever be. For that price, I think there are EM games that might have more staying power, offer some potential return over the years.

I would stay with the "big boys" as in Williams, Bally, and Gottlieb. Early Stern, when I tried Ted Nugent, really let me down in "feel" and sounds. They got better in the 80s though...

#13 14 years ago

Good news, it has been decided that my first machine will be sharpshooter. I will also be putting it in my fathers deli so as to make money for another machne. I wonder if anybody would take $800+ in quarters.

#14 14 years ago

I hope I didn't influence you too much. I was just looking for cheap machines in your area I would want to have that were in perfect working order. Like mentioned that was one of that companies top machines. I like the "oddball" and older machines with more generic themes instead of movie/TV/Video Game tie-ins.

I hope it makes a ton of money in the deli you can buy a nice one for your home.

If I/we can help in any way if there is any problem with it at all let us know and we'll be there for you.

#15 14 years ago

Thank you and no you didn't really influence me I was already planning on looking further into that machine anyway. when the owner knocked $75 off i couldn't say no.

#16 14 years ago

Awesome...nice price point with the discount for sure.

#17 14 years ago

just remember - "Never slow down, never grow old"
    when it comes to pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-first-pinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.