7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by DEN
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

photo.JPG
    photo2.JPG
    photo.JPG

#1 7 years ago

I found an IJ4 on Craig's List for what seemed like a really good deal. I went down and met the owner who had an insane collection (hundreds of machines, mostly arcade games, and that didn't count storage.) He had installed a LED kit which made the game look beautiful in the dark.

I paid $3700 for it. I know a lot of people don't like this machine, but I'm really happy with it. I'm a huge Indy fan, and am still on the hunt for a Williams machine, but this seemed too good to pass up.

Being a total noob, I do have a few questions:

1. Did I overpay? (I'm almost afraid to ask.)
    2. It seems like it needs a good cleaning / rubber replacement. I took a close up of one of the bumpers - does this seem like 'normal' wear, or are these overdue to be changed?
    3. There's some wear near the Sankara stone target. This part of the board gets hit a lot, and sometimes when it closes to capture a ball it rubs along the playfield. I took the glass off to have a closer look but it didn't seem like there way anything to tighten down. Does this need to be replaced? I attached a picture.

Thanks for reading!

photo.JPG photo2.JPG photo.JPG

#2 7 years ago

Looks nice! Get yourself some Cliffy protectors ( http://www.passionforpinball.com/ij4.htm ) to prevent further damage.

#3 7 years ago

Plus I'm just across the bay from him

#4 7 years ago

Love that table! Nice find hope you enojy it

#5 7 years ago

Nice grab, that may be on the high side for price in some places but I do not think it is bad based on location. The LEDs add a little value as well. The only thing that matters is that you are happy. Enjoy the pin.

#6 7 years ago

Did you overpay? It depends. I've seen them cheaper, so by those standards, yah. You could probably get your $3,700 back but this title is not a quick sell. Do you mind sitting on the game a while waiting for it to sell? If the answer is no, then no, you didn't overpay.

You got a game for book. Most IJ4s didn't get a lot of play, most are pretty nice. LEDs don't increase the value of the game. When selling, the majority of people (except on these forums) don't prefer them and even the ones that do, most super bright LED kits are around $50-$75 depending on the game. (unless you do backbox and GI as well).

It wasn't a really good deal, but it looks like you paid a fair price for a nice game.

#7 7 years ago

As a Swede i would pay 3.7k for that here (i don´t know how popular they are in the States), it seems to be in good shape. Clean it, polish the PF, change the balls, install the Cliffys and enjoy.

#8 7 years ago

Nice looking game. A little tlc in cleaning, and it'll look like new!!

#9 7 years ago

This looks in pretty good shape, and I'm not so sure about hte rubber based on the picts. I'd feel them so see if they are still springy. If they are spongy with no spring in them replace, otherwise, you can clean them a bit. I can't tell you how many times, I've installed new rubber and it looked just like that from the dirt on my hands, doh!

#10 7 years ago
    Quoted from absocountry2:

Nice grab, that may be on the high side for price in some places but I do not think it is bad based on location. The LEDs add a little value as well. The only thing that matters is that you are happy. Enjoy the pin.

LED's ad NO value at all, just ones personal taste. Not any mod really, its all about condition. I for one would not pay for someone elses personal taste. Nice grab though, i like the theme. You paid what you paid, its over and done with! Enjoy it, play it! Good cleaning, some new rubbers and a cliffy and your good!

#11 7 years ago

Congrats on you first pin! Dont worry so much about what you paid, sounds like it was inline from others' opinions. Timing, convenience of location all affect the value and what one is willing to pay. I dont think you overpaid, but if were to start a thread asking who overpaid for their first pin, i am sure you would start feeling more confident in your purchase very quickly.

Re the rubber, white rings always show dirt, and black rings always create dirt. I use a cleaner called Wildcat that i buy from steve at pinball resource. When you think they are dirty, just clean them. The cleaner will recondition the rings as well. When you see fraying or splitting of the rings where they turn around a post, that is a sure time to change them.

Enjoy the game. Doting over your game is as much fun as playing them.

#12 7 years ago

zucot,

Congrats! I own the game as well and honestly I like it!

I put the Cliffy's on mine and they look great. I would clean the game up and put on some new white rubber. You did pay a bit to much, but your happy and that is all that matters. IJ4 is a hard to find game as I don't think there was a large run of it. Always pick the shoot the Cairo swords man @ the start of a game to keep getting those Xtra balls.

I live in the bay area and am always free if you have questions or need some tech help.

Enjoy and congrats!

Mat

#13 7 years ago

Bottom line, if you enjoy the machine and are happy, you didn't overpay.

#14 7 years ago
    Quoted from Jeff_PHX_AZ:

LED's ad NO value at all, just ones personal taste.

I don't agree with that. I upcharge for them, and will gladly remove for the seller if they don't want. They last almost forever, the odd few crap out, but there is worth in them over regular bulbs for sure.

#15 7 years ago

Thanks for all the great responses guys. Seeing this community was a big part of the reason that I decided to take the plunge. I will definitely be investing in a set of Cliffy's protectors.

#16 7 years ago

Nice machine, LED makes any game great to look at in my opinion

you always can buy a new set of rubbers, from the picture, they need cleaning, if not just buy new set, also the black ones do not need to be cleaned as often as the white ones.

finally you also need Novus 1,2 and 3 to clean your playfield, and of course Cliffy's protector are must.

#17 7 years ago

I think you paid a fair price considering you are in the bay area like myself, we dont get as many bargains for nice machines in this part.

#18 7 years ago
    Quoted from practicalsteve:

I think you paid a fair price considering you are in the bay area

+1 From what I have seen, and others have told, fair price for your area. Enjoy the pin!

#19 7 years ago

Great score, these are hard to find, I paid a smidge more for mine. We love it. Just figure you paid the going rate, if you lose a couple hundred so what, that's the price of playing it for a few years!

Congrats on being a new pin owner, start learning what you can. Buy novus 2 to clean, then wax using carnauba, wax frequently. Should also replace balls, especially if it is a route machine. Cliffs makes great protectors as mention in a previous post. LEDs make this machine awesome, I put coin takers in mine. Might consider cabinet protectors depending on its condition, under cabinet lighting is cool too!

Finally check your software version upon start up, might want the newest from stern, good luck! Enjoy!

#20 7 years ago
    Quoted from Atomicboy:

Jeff_PHX_AZ said:LED's ad NO value at all, just ones personal taste.

I don't agree with that. I upcharge for them, and will gladly remove for the seller if they don't want. They last almost forever, the odd few crap out, but there is worth in them over regular bulbs for sure.

Atleast you offer a choice, but I wonder what your "upcharge" is? From a buyer point of view I'd say remove them, I put my own LED's in myself thank you. Stock is worth more then mods, goes with vehicles or anything for that matter!!

#21 7 years ago

I have to agree with Atomicboy on this one. I think that many buyers, particular ones that are newer to the hobby, would be willing to spend more money for a machine with LED's. So in many cases, LED's absolutely do add value to the game.

#22 7 years ago

- Nice Score

#23 7 years ago

Love Indy, just remember to upgrade to the latest 2.1 software version, you wont regret it

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 7,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 14.50
    Electronics
    PinballElectronics.com
    € 6.50
    Flipper Parts
    Buthamburg
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 149.00
    £ 49.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    $ 4.99
    Playfield - Plastics
    ULEKstore
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 9,099.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 15.00
    Lighting - Other
    Slap Save Creations
    $ 35.00
    $ 9.95
    Playfield - Plastics
    ULEKstore
    $ 7,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    Lighting - Led
    TheDudeMods
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside