Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20180908_161413 (resized).jpg
20180908_161419 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider brooklynknight.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#29 5 years ago
Quoted from ellusionist:

Hey Everyone,
I have always been a fan of pinball in the past and finally I get to take my first shot at buying two. There is truly so much to understand and take in, thank you for all the advise I have read on this awesome forum thus far.
So far I have been drawn to The Hobbit, which I think is one of them, I'm looking at getting a second at the same time to give myself some diversity. The second purchase is the problem, there are too many to like. POTC JJP4, TZ, Houdini, Dailed In, Medieval Madness, etc. Heck, I even liked Star Wars and Star Trek Vengeance.
How is the POTC JJP4 to play? Trying to find one to try.
But in the end this is a long term hobby, you can't just buy 10 at once, it would be .
If you were going to get the The Hobbit, what would be your other Pin you would purchase? A used or new?
Cheers!

I have a small space for three pins and made the first one a Hobbit Black Arrow! The only advice I would dare give you is try to hunt these pins down and play them! I spent months watching SDTM, Dead flip and Buffalo Pinball streams and reviews, I obsessively researched via the forums like pinside and in the end I was convinced that I would pick up a Dialed In and ACDC as my first two pins.

Lets fast forward to me then actually being able to go and play these pins. I made Dialed In my first play and (this is just my humble opinion) I did not enjoy it. I played about 12 to 15 games on it and that was enough for me to move on. Without going into the details it just did not fit what I seem to like in a game. Mind you there are things I did like just not enough to grab me to spend the money. I saw the hobbit and honestly had no interest in playing since what I read and watched appeared to again not cater to what i thought I liked.....

After wrapping up on a ACDC which I liked and am still considering I decided that I had to at the very least play one ball of the hobbit and in doing so spent the rest of my time at this place playing the hobbit. I fell in love with it, and ended up buying one for my first pin of the three I will eventually get. For me its a real solid pin with lots to keep me engaged. My point is I would NEVER had known this had I not played it.

Another one that surprised me was Iron Maiden as I have never listened to the band and again had no interest in playing it. I played one on vacation (only pin at the location)and you could not tear me off it. Loved the flow and the music went well with pinball. I am now heavily considering it over the ACDC. For me I am stuck between the ACDC, Iron Maiden or Star Wars LE as I played all three and liked all three a lot

Regardless I wish you the best and hope you get to play a few before pulling the trigger!

#31 5 years ago
Quoted from Ockeyhead:

If you're completely unfamiliar w/ pinball in general & have been out of the loop for a while, then download Stern Pinball &/or Pinball Arcade! These formats will offer you a variety of tables to choose from & you are able to play whatever you choose on an I Pad or computer. This is a fantastic way to experience many titles, without breaking the bank.

Fantastic Idea!!!

#36 5 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I agree play the games, but like you I didn’t love DI initially, I believe it was meh.. but now it’s great. Happened after owning the pin. I picked it up for a steal so I figured worse case I’d sell it for what I paid. But now it’s so good almost beyond words.
But that’s just my opinion others may disagree.
I will say playing a few games is not the same as owning when you can set it up properly and get to know the game at your own pace.

I too will agree with this, owning is definitely not the same as playing a few games. For me unless like yourself I can get something for a steal I wont take a chance on a pin unless it grabs me in the first few games.

For example I went to Modern Pinball today and played Aerosmith and Metallica for the first time. Metallica grabbed me and pulled me in more so than Aerosmith. Of the two I ended up spending most of my time on Metallica . That is a game I would now consider owning, however if I was able to get a steal of a deal on Aerosmith or Dialed In chances are I would not pass (it would have to be a real solid deal.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 39.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 12.95
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Omaha, NE
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

$ 38.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Manteca, CA
$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 24.95
Lighting - Other
The MOD Couple

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider brooklynknight.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-first-pin-7?tu=brooklynknight and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.