You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20180908_161413 (resized).jpg
20180908_161419 (resized).jpg

#1 5 years ago

Hey Everyone,

I have always been a fan of pinball in the past and finally I get to take my first shot at buying two. There is truly so much to understand and take in, thank you for all the advise I have read on this awesome forum thus far.

So far I have been drawn to The Hobbit, which I think is one of them, I'm looking at getting a second at the same time to give myself some diversity. The second purchase is the problem, there are too many to like. POTC JJP4, TZ, Houdini, Dailed In, Medieval Madness, etc. Heck, I even liked Star Wars and Star Trek Vengeance.

How is the POTC JJP4 to play? Trying to find one to try.

But in the end this is a long term hobby, you can't just buy 10 at once, it would be .

If you were going to get the The Hobbit, what would be your other Pin you would purchase? A used or new?

Cheers!

#2 5 years ago

How much room do you have? Just 2? or 12?

#3 5 years ago

Welcome to the fun.

Play the games if you can and get the ones you like.

LTG : )

#4 5 years ago

If you're getting Hobbit def get it used.... Save a ton

#5 5 years ago

That's a deep long playing wide body. I would go in the opposite direction and get an Ironman.

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from Buzz:

That's a deep long playing wide body. I would go in the opposite direction and get an Ironman.

Def plays longer than others but remove the center post and it does make it harder....

#7 5 years ago

Or possess the skills I have.

#8 5 years ago

If you must have Jersey jack - Dialed In is superior, and Hobbit is a tough resell.
Beware there.

2nd game...MMR, Attack from Mars R, Star Trek Vengeance, or one of Metallica / Guardians would be the way I would go.
Iron Man is excellent too...but more preferred by veteran collectors.

#9 5 years ago

Hobbit is awesome. There is no better modern adventure game imo. I'd pair it with something with fast gameplay like star trek, iron man or Ghostbusters.

#10 5 years ago

For a second game to complement your Hobbit I would recommend AFMr or MMr.

#11 5 years ago

I don't care for the Hobbit, but more power to you if you've played it and love it. I'd snag a newish Stern Pro to go along with it if it were me. Iron Maiden, Star Wars, Aerosmith, or maybe Deadpool. If you're just against a Stern for some reason I like the AFMr or MMr idea.

#12 5 years ago

The Williams reccommended here are long playing as well AFM, MM, and even MB. Compared to the Sterns technically all Williams seem slow to me. I have a Getaway which is one of the faster Williams - but compared to my SW LE it seems like an afternoon nap.
What I'm saying is: If you already have a slow long playing widebody, pair it up with something fast and evil, which will give you a long term challenge. For me SW LE is perfect, I guess Ghostbusters would be as well.

Once you have those two ends of the line, you can fill in the gap with whatever else seems adequate

#13 5 years ago

Don't let naysayers sour you on the hobbit - I just bought one for the second time yesterday, the game is incredible! And Since the 2.95 code update it has been improved dramatically

Definitely get something that's a fast shooter for your second game, with shorter game
And ball times. I would NOT recommend JJP Pirates as it is a longer
Playing game and very complicated. Getaway is fun but will seem boring next to hobbit -
Try something like the aforementioned MB, MM, AFM games, or a newer stern like Tron, SW, IMDM

#14 5 years ago

You put "Houdini" in the wrong company there guy!!! "Houdini"is in a class by itself>many peeps don't play well enough to appreciate the way it works! Better you did pass on that one!!

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

If you're getting Hobbit def get it used.... Save a ton

Skip Hobbit and get Woz or DI.

#16 5 years ago

If I was starting over with only two pins it would be:

Woz (or DI LE)
AFM remake (greatly prefer the LE for the topper).

Less cost alternative consider Met pro or TWD pro in place of AFM remake.

I don’t know but IMO Woz and DI seem to be under appreciated they both have so much to offer it’s mind blowing sometimes.

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from ellusionist:

If you were going to get the The Hobbit, what would be your other Pin you would purchase? A used or new?
Cheers!

AFM is for real.

At first I didn’t think it would be deep enough after all with modern games having such deeper rules but once I got AFM I’ve played it more than anything I’ve had on the first 3 month of ownership and it just gets better.

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Woz (or DI LE)
I don’t know but IMO Woz and DI seem to be under appreciated they both have so much to offer it’s mind blowing sometimes.

I know some still haven't gotten over the horrible reveal of DI (they are missing out!!) but WOZ is under appreciated? I beg to differ

The only criticism I have for Di is that the music is just... there.. IMO it does not contribute to the game hardly at all, and a lot of times you can't even hear it

#19 5 years ago

Oh and sorry I forgot to welcome you to your new addiction. This pinball shit get crazy. Congratulations and have fun.

#20 5 years ago

Simple as this:

If you loved the three Hobbit movies, you will love the Hobbit pinball.

#21 5 years ago

If I was going to start with two pins.

Dialed In and IMDN Premium/LE.

#22 5 years ago

Welcome, another pinhead in MA, love it. Make sure you get The Hobbit for cheap. As others have said it is a tough resell. It doesn’t matter how good a pin is. At some point you will want to try something else and if space is an issue you will have to move something. Resell does matter, to a point.

In terms of your question I totally agree with the others. Get something faster and with some toys. AFM/AFMr would be a great choice. I also like the GB suggestion as it has toys and is much more crammed than TH.

#23 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Simple as this:
If you loved the three Hobbit movies, you will love the Hobbit pinball.

That’s low, Vid.. lol

#24 5 years ago

Wanted to explicitly state something so you consider it carefully. Think carefully about how you will use the games in terms of time allotment. I rarely get to play pinball for a block of time, I usually am turning on games and running one or two games through a game and then bouncing to whatever I have to do next. In that scenario any game that has a long ball time is out for me, I would literally have to shut it off a good part of the time I was playing it. So I have a bunch of older games that have short ball times and still provide a challenge, but I don't get the deep rule set. For me its an awesome trade and I love playing my games and it all works- FOR me.

Also, if every game you have is typified by super long play, its not nearly as fun to play with friends unless you really like to watch and they do to. You need variety if your going to have a lineup.

#25 5 years ago

All great options. There is no right or wrong answer. It’s all about what YOU like! More expensive pin doesn’t always equate to more fun pin. Definitely try each pin before you buy!

#26 5 years ago

Play as many games as you can, new and old, look at the back glass , cab , playfield, because certain looks on each game draw me in to play , then you can get a feel of how fun and good it is! We are all different and like certain games , some more than others, remeber you have to look at it , until you sell or trade , it has to look great in your game room , cave, spare room, garage!!! Good luck , you can't go wrong. .all pinballs are great fun...it's nice to have one , more than one and it's all good!! (I recommend any game you like)

#27 5 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Woz (or DI LE)

Love WoZ but it doesn't shoot well. Up the middle then up the middle some more. You'll realize this too. DI is def the real deal. That is the game to get. Problem is it's expensive!

Hobbit is a lot of game for what you get and now that I own one you realize how many shots it offers and how unique the modes are. It definitely plays much better with the new code too. I predict that game jumping up in value so now would be the time to jump in and try it again. It doesn't play like any pin I've played before. Will you get bored of it... Def. Just like every game but really good value right now. Just remember to remove center post.

#28 5 years ago

Oh forget it....Just get some combination of these games!..... I might be a little bias.
20180908_161413 (resized).jpg20180908_161413 (resized).jpg20180908_161419 (resized).jpg20180908_161419 (resized).jpg

#29 5 years ago
Quoted from ellusionist:

Hey Everyone,
I have always been a fan of pinball in the past and finally I get to take my first shot at buying two. There is truly so much to understand and take in, thank you for all the advise I have read on this awesome forum thus far.
So far I have been drawn to The Hobbit, which I think is one of them, I'm looking at getting a second at the same time to give myself some diversity. The second purchase is the problem, there are too many to like. POTC JJP4, TZ, Houdini, Dailed In, Medieval Madness, etc. Heck, I even liked Star Wars and Star Trek Vengeance.
How is the POTC JJP4 to play? Trying to find one to try.
But in the end this is a long term hobby, you can't just buy 10 at once, it would be .
Cheers!

I have a small space for three pins and made the first one a Hobbit Black Arrow! The only advice I would dare give you is try to hunt these pins down and play them! I spent months watching SDTM, Dead flip and Buffalo Pinball streams and reviews, I obsessively researched via the forums like pinside and in the end I was convinced that I would pick up a Dialed In and ACDC as my first two pins.

Lets fast forward to me then actually being able to go and play these pins. I made Dialed In my first play and (this is just my humble opinion) I did not enjoy it. I played about 12 to 15 games on it and that was enough for me to move on. Without going into the details it just did not fit what I seem to like in a game. Mind you there are things I did like just not enough to grab me to spend the money. I saw the hobbit and honestly had no interest in playing since what I read and watched appeared to again not cater to what i thought I liked.....

After wrapping up on a ACDC which I liked and am still considering I decided that I had to at the very least play one ball of the hobbit and in doing so spent the rest of my time at this place playing the hobbit. I fell in love with it, and ended up buying one for my first pin of the three I will eventually get. For me its a real solid pin with lots to keep me engaged. My point is I would NEVER had known this had I not played it.

Another one that surprised me was Iron Maiden as I have never listened to the band and again had no interest in playing it. I played one on vacation (only pin at the location)and you could not tear me off it. Loved the flow and the music went well with pinball. I am now heavily considering it over the ACDC. For me I am stuck between the ACDC, Iron Maiden or Star Wars LE as I played all three and liked all three a lot

Regardless I wish you the best and hope you get to play a few before pulling the trigger!

#30 5 years ago

If you're completely unfamiliar w/ pinball in general & have been out of the loop for a while, then download Stern Pinball &/or Pinball Arcade! These formats will offer you a variety of tables to choose from & you are able to play whatever you choose on an I Pad or computer. This is a fantastic way to experience many titles, without breaking the bank.

#31 5 years ago
Quoted from Ockeyhead:

If you're completely unfamiliar w/ pinball in general & have been out of the loop for a while, then download Stern Pinball &/or Pinball Arcade! These formats will offer you a variety of tables to choose from & you are able to play whatever you choose on an I Pad or computer. This is a fantastic way to experience many titles, without breaking the bank.

Fantastic Idea!!!

#32 5 years ago

That is a great idea. I did start looking into that and then found out that Pinball Arcade lost the license for Williams/Bally games.
http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2018/05/the_pinball_arcade_loses_williams_bally_licenses_on_30th_june

Then now it seems Pinball FX got the license for Williams/Bally, https://www.pinballfx.com/

#33 5 years ago
Quoted from rufessor:

Wanted to explicitly state something so you consider it carefully. Think carefully about how you will use the games in terms of time allotment. I rarely get to play pinball for a block of time, I usually am turning on games and running one or two games through a game and then bouncing to whatever I have to do next. In that scenario any game that has a long ball time is out for me, I would literally have to shut it off a good part of the time I was playing it. So I have a bunch of older games that have short ball times and still provide a challenge, but I don't get the deep rule set. For me its an awesome trade and I love playing my games and it all works- FOR me.
Also, if every game you have is typified by super long play, its not nearly as fun to play with friends unless you really like to watch and they do to. You need variety if your going to have a lineup.

I believe this is why I sold LotR because it was a commitment to get deeper into the game.

I won’t say Tron or AFM are better but I can play a five minute game and feel like I did well.

#34 5 years ago
Quoted from brooklynknight:

I have a small space for three pins and made the first one a Hobbit Black Arrow! The only advice I would dare give you is try to hunt these pins down and play them! I spent months watching SDTM, Dead flip and Buffalo Pinball streams and reviews, I obsessively researched via the forums like pinside and in the end I was convinced that I would pick up a Dialed In and ACDC as my first two pins.
Lets fast forward to me then actually being able to go and play these pins. I made Dialed In my first play and (this is just my humble opinion) I did not enjoy it. I played about 12 to 15 games on it and that was enough for me to move on. Without going into the details it just did not fit what I seem to like in a game. Mind you there are things I did like just not enough to grab me to spend the money. I saw the hobbit and honestly had no interest in playing since what I read and watched appeared to again not cater to what i thought I liked.....
After wrapping up on a ACDC which I liked and am still considering I decided that I had to at the very least play one ball of the hobbit and in doing so spent the rest of my time at this place playing the hobbit. I fell in love with it, and ended up buying one for my first pin of the three I will eventually get. For me its a real solid pin with lots to keep me engaged. My point is I would NEVER had known this had I not played it.
Another one that surprised me was Iron Maiden as I have never listened to the band and again had no interest in playing it. I played one on vacation (only pin at the location)and you could not tear me off it. Loved the flow and the music went well with pinball. I am now heavily considering it over the ACDC. For me I am stuck between the ACDC, Iron Maiden or Star Wars LE as I played all three and liked all three a lot
Regardless I wish you the best and hope you get to play a few before pulling the trigger!

I agree play the games, but like you I didn’t love DI initially, I believe it was meh.. but now it’s great. Happened after owning the pin. I picked it up for a steal so I figured worse case I’d sell it for what I paid. But now it’s so good almost beyond words.

But that’s just my opinion others may disagree.

I will say playing a few games is not the same as owning when you can set it up properly and get to know the game at your own pace.

#35 5 years ago
Quoted from ejg10532626:

If you must have Jersey jack - Dialed In is superior, and Hobbit is a tough resell.
Beware there.
2nd game...MMR, Attack from Mars R, Star Trek Vengeance, or one of Metallica / Guardians would be the way I would go.
Iron Man is excellent too...but more preferred by veteran collectors.

Bingo!

#36 5 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I agree play the games, but like you I didn’t love DI initially, I believe it was meh.. but now it’s great. Happened after owning the pin. I picked it up for a steal so I figured worse case I’d sell it for what I paid. But now it’s so good almost beyond words.
But that’s just my opinion others may disagree.
I will say playing a few games is not the same as owning when you can set it up properly and get to know the game at your own pace.

I too will agree with this, owning is definitely not the same as playing a few games. For me unless like yourself I can get something for a steal I wont take a chance on a pin unless it grabs me in the first few games.

For example I went to Modern Pinball today and played Aerosmith and Metallica for the first time. Metallica grabbed me and pulled me in more so than Aerosmith. Of the two I ended up spending most of my time on Metallica . That is a game I would now consider owning, however if I was able to get a steal of a deal on Aerosmith or Dialed In chances are I would not pass (it would have to be a real solid deal.

#37 5 years ago

I'd only buy one pinball machine for now.Then you can take your time,and play a ton of different machines,to find the right second pin.I thought for sure that MMR of AFMR would be my second pin.But now that I've played a little Metallica ,I'm thinking that this could be the one?
P.S
I really need to move,if I plan on getting another machine.Whoever designed the staircase in my house,gave zero thoughts to having pinball machines on the second/third floor of my house.

2 weeks later
#38 5 years ago

All good advice. My first pin was WOZ. Then GB. Then Spider-Man. I've owned Dialed In! and it's fantastic in so many ways, especially playfield design, shots and flow. But the music and theme turned me off. I just decided to get a Hobbit, due to the new code 2.95 update. It sounds so much more complete now. It takes time and code updates for pins to hit their stride sometimes, like with BM66 recently and WOZ before that. Both great games now. If I could choose 2, and my first was a long-playing adventure game like Hobbit, I would add a fast, punishing game like Tron, GB or Iron Man for the second. Star Wars is very hard, fast and short (for me at least). Walking Dead is too. You can't go wrong with an AFMr or MMr either. Best bang for buck, by far, IMHO, is buy a NIB MET pro for $5800. A new Hobbit and new MET pro? That's a fantastic small collection, or start to a larger one.

1 month later
#39 5 years ago

Thanks for all the advise everyone. I think I have finally come down to Star Trek Vengeance as one and the other either The Hobbit or JJP POTC, shouldn't have played POTC... I got hooked right away. But now the prices are down on The Hobbit and POTC is the newer of the two, guessing it will have several kinks over time and code updates. Now that POTC has been out for a bit, would you still go for Hobbit over JJP POTC?

Hobbit with the open play field makes me wonder if it will continue to bring the fun as POTC seems to do.

Thought?

Cheers!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
11,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lake Villa, IL
$ 359.00
Playfield - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com
Shooter rods
9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
Toys/Add-ons
$ 5.00
Lighting - Backbox
Gameroom Mods
Backbox
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation
Rubber/Silicone
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.
Other
$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames
Decorations
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, OH
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Led
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com
Shooter rods
$ 49.99
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball
Protection
€ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
Toys/Add-ons
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 132.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 18.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods
Sound/Speakers
5,815 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Worcester, MA

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-first-pin-7?hl=pinkitten and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.