0B2B8BD8-F1D0-41FC-9EC1-F1F1E787E473_4_5005_c (resized).jpeg
9631E206-4679-4012-972F-D27B2DE0EC3A (resized).jpeg
8632DFB4-CB10-48AC-ACC6-4630AE0806CF (resized).jpeg
tenor (resized).png
FF1C9E07-0927-4BFE-A323-29BF8D236578.gif
2DCA30D8-8093-4C2B-90B9-FF9B50A43701 (resized).jpeg
A8EEF11A-1710-40C6-9BCF-8DC49E48F1F2 (resized).jpeg
F3BCD067-41D9-41C2-AD33-CF06A480ED85 (resized).jpeg
There are 201 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.
#101 2 years ago

every real pinball guy knows the game box is useless for re-use

#102 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

You must have missed Centerflank's pics of his AC/DC Luci unboxing.

#103 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

I keep them always. Use them for moving games

#104 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I keep them always. Use them for moving games

as boxes or just as big pieces of cardboard?

#105 2 years ago
Quoted from mikeflan:

>>>>> I don't understand, do you work for Fun or are you another distributor?
Neither. I'm just someone for whom the princely sum of $12.99 (or $1.49) plus shipping to have a problem solved on my $7000 toy at my house by me in two to three days isn't a high price to pay. I understand the part is covered under warranty, and I guess I paid for the service, but I'd rather have the game working sooner rather than jump through any hoops with a dealer or manufacturer. That said, I have nothing but praise for calling Stern direct, as in the past they have been crazy good when dealing with warranty issues or even out of warranty issues. I've had them ship node boards (Iron Maiden) and main driver boards (LOTR) in the past, so maybe reaching out directly wouldn't have been a bad idea.

Your post made sense. Sorry, I didn't get the right qoute.

#106 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Pffff, do you realize how many cats would fit in one of those things? You'd have scratching posts for weeks.

Quoted from texas_compadre:

the GZ Pro was for my 5-year-old grandson

The box will also be what the 5 year old grandson gets the most fun out of because I guarantee that kid won't play the pinball machine more than a handful of times.

#107 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

as boxes or just as big pieces of cardboard?

Cardboard. Yeah, I box up all my games to move them. Haha

#108 2 years ago

I shipped my old BBB to Europe in a Tron box. Definitely worth saving boxes if you think you may need to ship a game down the road.

#109 2 years ago

I think I’m going to start an LE and CE, ultra limited pinball cardboard box business. I’m already shopping for my own caribbean island.

#110 2 years ago
Quoted from way2wyrd:

its obvious you have a hard on about this for some reason given your FB and Pinside posts here.
Have you ever done business with FUN or are you just being a keyboard comando?

I do. I don't like crooks, and you guys are piling on the OP about irrelevant issues like his age, his grandson, etc. - i.e., being jerks just for the sake of being jerks. There's no question about Hassle's reputation, and I do, in fact, have a history with Fun! in Mesquite, Texas. Luckily for me, that history doesn't include ever doing a transaction with them.

Now, about your use of the term "keyboard comando"... I find that curious because that's the exact name Craig Hassell called a dissenting Pinside poster in a previous thread, right down to the exact same misspelling of the word 'commando'. That leads me to two possibilities - either you are Craig Hassell, or Craig Hassell was your 4th-grade spelling teacher. Can you clarify?

#111 2 years ago
Quoted from trecemaneras:

Sort of off-topic, but 100% in the spirit of the drama in this thread, apostle90125 what's the back story leading to you making an account exclusively to post in this topic?

The backstory is simple. I didn't have an account here, and I wanted to post on this topic. I will most likely want to post on other topics here as well... unless there a community rule against opening an account and posting on a topic? If such a rule exists, can you post a link to it, please?

#112 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Cardboard. Yeah, I box up all my games to move them. Haha

Quoted from metallik:

I shipped my old BBB to Europe in a Tron box. Definitely worth saving boxes if you think you may need to ship a game down the road.

I'm still trying to get my head around what you are doing. You are saving all the packing material too? The box itself is pointless without the system its used in and the game having to be the same form factor. I mean, putting it in a box just invites the pallet to be handled like a stackable box and still requires it to be palletized. If you are going to palletize it, why limit yourself to the horrible basic protection the factory box gives, instead of actually wrapping the game and providing protection that isn't just a hollow shell?

If I'm putting it down for travel - the box is a complete hinderance vs just protecting the game
If I'm putting it on a pallet - the factory box is inferior to the the kind of packaging you want to use to actually provide real protection.. so why use it?

Geniuly curious what you guys are doing. Because the only thing I see the box being useful as is cardboard stock to be cut up for wrap or slides. And getting a game setup is 5x easier when you just cut the side of the box down and attach legs vs trying to lay it down, slide out of the box, etc.

#113 2 years ago
Quoted from apostle90125:

Now, about your use of the term "keyboard comando"... I find that curious because that's the exact name Craig Hassell called a dissenting Pinside poster in a previous thread, right down to the exact same misspelling of the word 'commando'. That leads me to two possibilities - either you are Craig Hassell, or Craig Hassell was your 4th-grade spelling teacher. Can you clarify?

The backstory is simple. I didn't have an account here, and I wanted to post on this topic. I will most likely want to post on other topics here as well... unless there a community rule against opening an account and posting on a topic? If such a rule exists, can you post a link to it, please?

well, the OP should at least rest comfortably knowing that the one person on his side is a paranoid schizophrenic with no other posting history, and a pre-existing bias against the other party.

#114 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It’s indeed curious !

Says the biggest shit disturber on Pinside

#115 2 years ago

community rule against opening an account and posting on a topic? If such a rule exists, can you post a link to it, please?

As a fellow newb pinsider I can tell you there's a whole bingo card of standard newb activities that you need to complete before reaching the stage of blowing your top at a retailer you haven't done business with on behalf of a stranger, which is stage 5 or 6 I believe. For example, arguing passionately in a pricing thread is stage 1, then you'll need to leave enough theme suggestions in every manufacturer's "next pin" threads to accurately guess your age to within 5 years, then in a separate thread declaring you're an original theme guy whilst blithely tossing off a dozen nonsensical suggestions, it's all there in my post history. You'll notice I haven't yelled at mirco yet, which I will despite having never purchased anything from him, and that's because I still have a couple more newb moves to complete before I have clearance to do so.

Good luck, enjoy your stay, and always triple check what account you're posting from before you click the "Send post" button!

#116 2 years ago

As a fellow newb pinsider I can tell you there's a whole bingo card of standard newb activities that you need to complete before reaching the stage of blowing your top at a retailer you haven't done business with on behalf of a stranger, which is stage 5 or 6 I believe. For example, arguing passionately in a pricing thread is stage 1, then you'll need to leave enough theme suggestions in every manufacturer's "next pin" threads to accurately guess your age to within 5 years, then in a separate thread declaring you're an original theme guy whilst blithely tossing off a dozen nonsensical suggestions, it's all there in my post history. You'll notice I haven't yelled at mirco yet, which I will despite having never purchased anything from him, and that's because I still have a couple more newb moves to complete before I have clearance to do so.
Good luck, enjoy your stay, and always triple check what account you're posting from before you click the "Send post" button!

i like this guy already.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#117 2 years ago
Quoted from bigehrl:

i like this guy already.

Read for filth. Now how about a Fortnite pin?

#118 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

I'm still trying to get my head around what you are doing. You are saving all the packing material too? The box itself is pointless without the system its used in and the game having to be the same form factor. I mean, putting it in a box just invites the pallet to be handled like a stackable box and still requires it to be palletized. If you are going to palletize it, why limit yourself to the horrible basic protection the factory box gives, instead of actually wrapping the game and providing protection that isn't just a hollow shell?
If I'm putting it down for travel - the box is a complete hinderance vs just protecting the game
If I'm putting it on a pallet - the factory box is inferior to the the kind of packaging you want to use to actually provide real protection.. so why use it?
Geniuly curious what you guys are doing. Because the only thing I see the box being useful as is cardboard stock to be cut up for wrap or slides. And getting a game setup is 5x easier when you just cut the side of the box down and attach legs vs trying to lay it down, slide out of the box, etc.

Using the cardboard sides of the box allows me to slide games in and out of my van easily.

#119 2 years ago

exact same misspelling of the word 'commando'.

Exactly what a keyboard COMMANDO would do. Lets go to criticizing vocabulary and grammar.

Crawl back in your hole troll

Show me on the pinball machine where FUN touched you

#120 2 years ago

As soon as I came across the word "Fun!" in the thread title I knew this was not gonna go well.

#121 2 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:As soon as I came across the word "Fun!" in the thread title I knew this was not gonna go well.

Did you think it would be a big Hassell?

#122 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Using the cardboard sides of the box allows me to slide games in and out of my van easily.

That's why I asked if you just used it as cardboard... or as a box That's not using it as a box, just as large pieces of cardboard.

#123 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

You center the game and fill all the gaps with towels... old beach and bath towels (or new ones, they're cheap). Pack 'em in there good, all around and the game is snug as a bug in a rug. They also can protect against minor fork incidents. The only thing better than the box would be a wooden crate, and those significantly increase weight and shipping costs. "Wrapping" the game doesn't do shit.

#124 2 years ago
Quoted from way2wyrd:

Crawl back in your hole troll

"Crawl back in your hole troll..." Wow! THAT one's original. Did you write that yourself, or is that Hassle's copyright as well?

tenor (resized).pngtenor (resized).png
#125 2 years ago

My main takeaway from this thread is the OP said he has been in the pinball hobby since 2006...and decided to purchase a game from FUN in 2022...that is baffling.

#126 2 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

You center the game and fill all the gaps with towels... old beach and bath towels (or new ones, they're cheap). Pack 'em in there good, all around and the game is snug as a bug in a rug.

Except the box isn't really supported and just becomes a thin shell you've taken along for the ride while your towels settle down instead of being secured to the actual thing to be protected. The box isn't structural, it's just strapped on as a thin shell. Might as well have a cadbury egg. The factory packing system works by supporting the box between the game and the rigid corners of the box.

Quoted from metallik:

The only thing better than the box would be a wooden crate, and those significantly increase weight and shipping costs. "Wrapping" the game doesn't do shit.

It does when you actually wrap padding or sacrificial layers and secure with wrap or strapping. Which is protection that actually stays with the surface to be protected and you decide how thick, rigid, or soft you cover the game with. That's your protection against abrasion or impacts against the game itself. I'll take actual impact protection over counting on simple 'air space' as you defense against impacts or forks. Armor the game, then block it in to a pallet that is larger than the footprint of the game and strap it up. Being an odd shape strapped to the pallet you avoid the temptation for them to stack anything on it.

Stern boxes are good for one thing... large pieces of scrap cardboard. It's not even heavy cardboard... packing wardrobe boxes work for that if you want some heavy strong cardboard.

#127 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

It does when you actually wrap padding

... um, that's what the towels are.

No, they don't slip down when they're folded and stuffed in the box all around the game.

Sometimes I think you argue just for the sake of arguing. Blah blah blah...

The game made it to Europe with no damage; I'd say the packing worked just fine.

#128 2 years ago
Quoted from Skeets:

My main takeaway from this thread is the OP said he has been in the pinball hobby since 2006...and decided to purchase a game from FUN in 2022...that is baffling.

My main takeaway is that I'll continue to buy games in person with cash after inspecting them and selling them in that same manner.

#129 2 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Did you think it would be a big Hassell?

Shot a man while robbin' his Castle....

#130 2 years ago
Quoted from texas_compadre:

"Crawl back in your hole troll..." Wow! THAT one's original. Did you write that yourself, or is that Hassle's copyright as well?

You too son

#131 2 years ago

This post should get you multiple stamps on your card, good shit.

#132 2 years ago

Fantastic post. Funny as fuck.

I'm betting the apostle is disgruntled employee.

They are usually #1 suspect in any character assassination.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#133 2 years ago

As a fellow newb pinsider I can tell you there's a whole bingo card of standard newb activities that you need to complete

Can you point me in the direction of said bingo card. I probably have a few squares to stamp as well.

#134 2 years ago

You haven’t compared pins to cars yet, but goddamn if you aren’t off to a magnificent start!

#135 2 years ago

IBTL …

#136 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You haven’t compared pins to cars yet, but goddamn if you aren’t off to a magnificent start!

Pretty sure i have that badge.

#137 2 years ago

flynnibus - re-using the old box as a shell when strapping to the pallet is simply an extra layer of protection. The boxes also have great indications of which side is the truck only side. I blanket and shrink a pin thoroughly before the box goes on so it's much better protected than the way it is shipped from the factory. This is what it looks like before the box goes on:

8632DFB4-CB10-48AC-ACC6-4630AE0806CF (resized).jpeg8632DFB4-CB10-48AC-ACC6-4630AE0806CF (resized).jpeg

As for Craig, I've dealt with him on several occasions over the years and he's been honest and professional every time. Providing an in-home warranty at MSRP is actually more service than 99% of us are getting at MSRP.

#138 2 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

flynnibus - re-using the old box as a shell when strapping to the pallet is simply an extra layer of protection

That is worse because you don’t want anyone to hand truck a palleted box at all and unless you are using the inserts the game and box are not locked together … inviting mishandling.

If you are not using the system of pieces as designed… it’s nothing but a floating thin cardboard shell that doesn’t provide anything but inviting mishandling. The box is not supported and can’t support the contents without shifting itself or the contents.

The Floating cardboard halo is doesn’t help - it only obscures the load inviting mishandling because it suggests capabilities you don’t actually have.

You are better off shipping it just as you showed it bundled up - which looks well protected (but better mounting and larger pallet would be preferable)

#139 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

That is worse because you don’t want anyone to hand truck a palleted box at all and unless you are using the inserts the game and box are not locked together … inviting mishandling.
If you are not using the system of pieces as designed… it’s nothing but a floating thin cardboard shell that doesn’t provide anything but inviting mishandling. The box is not supported and can’t support the contents without shifting itself or the contents.
The Floating cardboard halo is doesn’t help - it only obscures the load inviting mishandling because it suggests capabilities you don’t actually have.
You are better off shipping it just as you showed it bundled up - which looks well protected

The game and box are not "locked" together with Sterns boxing either. I've had numerous decals damaged with NIB games because the heavy legs become dislodged and scrape along the side of the game. I'll put my packing up against Sterns any day of the week and I'll win every time - I've yet to have a game get damaged using my method. The blanketing and wrapping are very snug inside the box.

If you think how you pallet a game makes any difference in whether it's hand-trucked or forked or handled in general - you are fooling yourself.

#140 2 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

The game and box are not "locked" together with Sterns boxing either. I've had numerous decals damaged with NIB games because the heavy legs become dislodged and scrape along the side of the game.

Thats loose items in the box - nothing to do with the real topic here of using a box without locking it together with the thing that is 95% of the weight and volume inside of it.

Quoted from Damonator:

I'll put my packing up against Sterns any day of the week and I'll win every time.

Did you see me praising stern’s shipping methods? I’m speaking up about people taking a weak system, then making it worse, and pretending it has some value. You are doing the right thing in how you protect the game itself… but strapping a floating cardboard halo around it isn’t doing you any favors and just invites problems.

Quoted from Damonator:

If you think how you pallet a game makes any difference in whether it's hand-trucked or forked or handled in general - you are fooling yourself.

Handlers are going to what is easiest and fastest for them. If you give them a big square box… they will treat it like a big box. If your box isn’t secured to be moved around and be handled like a box… you are inviting trouble. Boxes will be stacked, they will be handled using their sides, etc.

You can’t easily hand truck something without sides near the edge of the footprint. But if you have a nice square box… the handcart can be attractive to try to use.

The whole reason NIB are on pallets is to make it more likely to be moved properly by making it easier for the handlers to do the right thing vs taking shortcuts. The pallet isn’t part of the packing system for sterns. It’s just strapped on to minimize potential for damage by making the load more friendly to the most common heavy load tools.. pallet jacks and forklifts.

A stern boxed game can be moved via hand truck… unlike a palleted game with just a strapped floating cardboard halo that will crush the box and risk shifting the load.

The same reasons that make the stern box able to be hand trucked (the cabinet bottom being right inside the one side) is one of the reasons it’s vulnerable to damage and why that choice isn’t used when designing a game to be shipped by pallet to begin with…. Where the load is centered and secured to the pallet - not the box.

Ask HEP why he doesn’t use a box around his loads and builds centered loads on oversized pallets. It’s trying to preempt the dummies and make your preferred way to be the easiest way for them to move your load.

#141 2 years ago

Nothing says “FUN!” like an eight paragraph post about pinball boxes.

#142 2 years ago

No one cares about boxes. Take it to PM.

#143 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:Ask HEP why he doesn’t use a box around his loads and builds centered loads on oversized pallets. It’s trying to preempt the dummies and make your preferred way to be the easiest way for them to move your load.

If you look at my pic, you'll see that the load is centered and anchored to an oversized pallet. The pin is shrinked and blanketed so that the box barely slides over the top - every bit as snug as the Stern system, but much better protected. It's certainly not loose like you are imagining.

Again - if you think they won't stack something on top of an unboxed pin - you are very wrong as I just had this happen last week with a palleted game not covered by a box. I actually keep the Stern styrofoam that goes over the coin door and use that along with "do not stack" stickers on the box - but shippers will do whatever they want.

Palleted items are moved with a forklift or hand forks almost exclusively - in over 50 shipments I've never had a guy use a dolly - the most important part is securely affixing the pin to the pallet.

This system works very well for me and I'll keep doing it as I think it's the best way to ship a pin. I've had *0* games get damaged unlike with Stern NIB games and games shipped on legs with STI.

Quoted from Palmer:

No one cares about boxes. Take it to PM.

Actually - the box conversation is more useful than this thread had become, but yea - I'm done now. Continue with the he said/she said...

#144 2 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

If you look at my pic, you'll see that the load is centered and anchored to an oversized pallet. The pin is shrinked and blanketed so that the box barely slides over the top - every bit as snug as the Stern system, but much better protected. It's certainly not loose like you are imagining.
Again - if you think they won't stack something on top of an unboxed pin - you are very wrong as I just had this happen last week with a palleted game not covered by a box. I actually keep the Stern styrofoam that goes over the coin door and use that along with "do not stack" stickers on the box - but shippers will do whatever they want.
Palleted items are moved with a forklift or hand forks almost exclusively - in over 50 shipments I've never had a guy use a dolly - the most important part is securely affixing the pin to the pallet.
This system works very well for me and I'll keep doing it as I think it's the best way to ship a pin. I've had *0* games get damaged unlike with Stern NIB games and games shipped on legs with STI.

Actually - the box conversation is more useful than this thread had become, but yea - I'm done now. Continue with the he said/she said...

Just start your own conversation. It’s not hard.

#145 2 years ago

I nominate flynnibus for "most passionate about boxes" 2022.

#146 2 years ago

Check out the super hoops thread if you want to read about some box negligence. Outrageous !

#147 2 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

He's definitely an anti-boxer!

#148 2 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

He's definitely an anti-boxer!

Yes, and the way I see it... If he saves just one person it was all worth it ❤️

#149 2 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Most passionate 'Google'r' who knows everything about everything. I've never seen a thread with a question or problem that he doesn't have all the answers to.

#150 2 years ago

I don't know, i'm pretty passionate about boxes as well.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 2.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Chrome Candy

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
FlipMods

$ 8.00
Apparel - Unisex
arcade-cabinets.com

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Tampa, FL
$ 16.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
O'fallon, IL
$ 85.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

$ 104.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 85.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Performance Pinball

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
BomberMods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Fort Myers, FL
$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
BomberMods

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Lighting - Led
Gameroom Mods

Machine - For Sale
Wood Dale, IL
Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

$ 120.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 201 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-first-nib-purchase-experience-fun-in-mesquite-tx/page/3?hl=mrsiyufy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.