0B2B8BD8-F1D0-41FC-9EC1-F1F1E787E473_4_5005_c (resized).jpeg
9631E206-4679-4012-972F-D27B2DE0EC3A (resized).jpeg
8632DFB4-CB10-48AC-ACC6-4630AE0806CF (resized).jpeg
tenor (resized).png
FF1C9E07-0927-4BFE-A323-29BF8D236578.gif
2DCA30D8-8093-4C2B-90B9-FF9B50A43701 (resized).jpeg
A8EEF11A-1710-40C6-9BCF-8DC49E48F1F2 (resized).jpeg
F3BCD067-41D9-41C2-AD33-CF06A480ED85 (resized).jpeg
There are 201 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
#1 2 years ago

I’ve been collecting pinball games for a good number of years but have only bought used machines from individuals in the past. But when Stern announced the Rush pinball games back in January, I knew it was a dream theme I had to have and could now afford, having enjoyed a period of business success in recent years. Having also read the rave reviews for Godzilla, I decided I would buy both a Rush Premium AND a Godzilla Pro. My dinosaur-loving five-year-old grandson was walking on air after I told him we were getting a Godzilla pinball machine, and we started counting down the weeks until our first new-in-box pinball purchase experience(s).

I checked into some out-of-state dealers who offered free shipping and white glove delivery, but not knowing much about those dealers, I decided to look closer to home.

Enter Fun! Billiards & Gameroom Superstore just across the DFW Metroplex from me in Mesquite, Texas. I drove over to Fun! and talked to owner Craig Hassell about purchasing the two NIB machines, pointing out that some dealers were offering free shipping to my door. I asked if he would offer free delivery. “No,” he replied, “we charge a $150.00 delivery fee per game.” He went on to point out the benefit of buying locally: if there were problems with the machines after delivery, he would send someone out to do any needed repairs/adjustments as part of his 30-day warranty. That seemed reasonable to me. Knowing the ETA on Rush Premium would be early March and the ETA on the Godzilla Pro would be early April, I asked if he would be willing to deliver both machines for a single $150.00 delivery fee, and he agreed to do that (note that there was never any assumption both games would be delivered at the same time). I put down deposits for both machines and walked out with a bill of sale.

The problems started as soon as my Rush Premium shipped out from Stern on March 3rd. Craig texted me to say that he expected the game in by mid-week the following week but added that “your Godzilla hasn’t arrived yet, and since it’s two deliveries, another $150 delivery fee will apply.” I pointed out to him that on the day I put down my deposits we had discussed that the games would be delivered on two different dates, and that he had agreed on a single $150 delivery fee for both deliveries (which is documented on my bill of sale).

Now by this point in my dealings with Craig, I had started getting a weird feeling in the pit of my stomach about him… arrogant and dismissive, he just put off a “these pesky customers” kind of vibe, at least toward me. I started searching Pinside and the all-but-defunct rec.games.pinball forums for any past history of Fun! Billiards & Gameroom Superstore and its owners, including Craig Hassell. My search led to the discovery that the previous owners, Steve Nordseth and Gideon Graves, seem to have firmly established Fun! as one of the most dishonest, disreputable pinball dealerships in the United States. Especially disconcerting was a “buyer beware” Pinside thread from four years ago in which, under Craig Hassell’s management, Fun! was refusing to both (a). deliver an expensive LE pinball game a customer had paid for in full, and (b). refund the customer’s money. In that thread, Hassell got caught in a number of careless, blatant lies regarding the customer’s refund that he was holding back, and it was soon unanimous among forum participants that Hassell was in the wrong, with even some of his buddies calling him out… yet he kept vacillating between admitting he was at fault and then flying off the handle and spewing insults, making himself look worse with every comment he made. After reading that thread in its entirety, I was pretty certain I was in for a rough ride with my first NIB pinball purchase experience with Fun!.

I decided that rather than wait on Fun! to deliver the Rush Premium, I preferred to drive over to the store and pick it up myself. I texted Craig and politely asked him to let me know when the game arrived and that I would like to pick it up. He immediately called and said he couldn’t allow me to do that. “We have to unbox the game, set it up, and check it out prior to letting it leave the store,” he said. I explained my understanding that I was purchasing new-in-box games and that I preferred to unbox them at home, but he wouldn’t budge. I had no choice but to go along with his “policy” and await delivery of my non-NIB game.

Upon their request, I paid Fun! the full balance owed on the Rush Premium on March 8th, and it was delivered on March 11th. During the first couple of games I played, I noticed that the LED under the action (lockdown) button was not lighting, and one of the playfield pop bumper rings was jamming in the down position when struck by the ball. Apparently, these issues were not discovered when Fun! had set up the machine to “check it out”.

I texted Craig about the issues asked if someone could look into them at the time of my upcoming Godzilla Pro delivery. “Sure,” he replied, “but check to make sure the LED board is plugged in.” I texted him back that it was plugged in, but received no reply, and that feeling in the pit of my stomach came back.

On April 4th, a Fun! employee called to collect the remaining balance for my Godzilla Pro, which I paid in full over the phone, and we scheduled delivery for April 14th.

On April 7th I again texted Craig about the problems with my Rush Premium and politely asked if he could send a replacement LED board when they delivered my Godzilla Pro. This time, his answer was a flat “no, we don’t have the part and my delivery guys are not techs, call Stern, they’ll probably send you the part and walk you through the repair.” Becoming angry at this point, and preferring not to attempt a repair that could potentially void the factory warranty on my game, I asked if he was really going to blow off his supposed 30-day store warranty that easily. I mean, he could have said “try to work it out with Stern; if that doesn’t work, we’ll come out and fix it when we get the part in,” but just flat “no, we don’t have the part, call Stern, you’re on your own” didn’t seem reasonable to me (just try getting a human being on the phone at Stern – ain’t gonna happen).

By this point, having my Godzilla Pro paid in full and receiving a very dismissive string of “no… no… no…” from Craig on what I felt were perfectly reasonable customer expectations, I texted him to express my disappointment and ask if I could just come pick the game up at his store. “I’m sorry you are disappointed,” he replied, “you can pick up tomorrow.”

I texted back and asked, “Will you keep the original box and packing so I can use it to protect the game during transit in a U-Haul trailer?” Well, that question, which I thought was perfectly reasonable, didn’t go over well with Craig…

Now, I have to pause for a moment and ask: why is Craig Hassell and Fun! so hesitant to sell unopened, NIB games? That just seems “off” to me. For most pinball owners, unboxing their first NIB machine is a rite-of-passage. Youtube has plenty of pinball unboxing videos, including old guys like me sharing the experience with their grandsons (like I was looking forward to doing). Reluctantly, I went along with Craig’s policy that they needed to “check out the game” before delivering it, even though they had “checked out” my Rush Premium, yet failed to find the two glaring problems with the game prior to delivering it to me. So, again, something seems weird about this policy. It doesn’t make sense that they would unbox, set up, and “check out” a machine, only to then deliver it with obvious issues.

I next received a text from Craig saying he would not be offering any warranty on the Godzilla Pro since I was picking it up at his store. That was fine, I replied (since he had refused to honor his warranty on my Rush Premium anyway). I also added that I would review accordingly, and his response was, since “you refuse to even work with me, I CAN JUST SELL IT TO SOMEONE ELSE.”

Now, my mention of “reviewing accordingly” obviously hit a nerve with Craig. In the ensuing exchange of texts, he accused me of “threatening” him. Only someone who knows they’re not doing business on the up-and-up would consider the potential of an honest customer review to be a “threat”. At this point, I remembered the Pinside thread four years ago in which Hassell was holding on to another customer’s LE game AND money. When that customer had emailed Fun! to demand the refund he was rightfully entitled to, Fun! had emailed him back: “GOOD LUCK WITH THAT.” In fact, they held on to that customer’s money for many, many months, telling him all the while, “the check’s in the mail.”

Fun! first came into prominence years back on rec.games.pinball because of their practice of staging private eBay auctions and, by the consensus of forum members, having shill bidders drive their prices up to insane levels. Apparently, eBay finally caught on and banned them from selling on the platform. There are also numerous online accounts of Fun! misrepresenting games and then delivering garbage to their customers. Several current Google reviewers have been taken to the cleaners by them, including customers who have received incomplete shipments, only to have Fun! respond that they would do “dock checks”, but ultimately neither “finding” the missing goods NOR returning the customers’ money.

There are reports of game repairs after which customers got home with their equipment only to find the paid for repairs were either not done at all or were done incorrectly. There are reports of customers purchasing machines represented as being “completely refurbished, excellent condition”, only to receive trashed-out, malfunctioning machines. There is an abundant history of negative reviews about this company and their business practices.

In my case, Hassell changed virtually every parameter of the deal we had agreed upon after I had paid him in full for the games - refusing to honor his agreement to provide two deliveries for a single delivery fee, refusing to honor his promised 30-day warranty, refusing to let me take possession of new-in-box, unused games, telling me I could not pick the games up at his store, then telling me I could, then finally refusing to let me take possession at all – in the case of my Godzilla Pro, I can only assume he did indeed “SELL IT TO SOMEONE ELSE.”

During the course of doing business with Fun!, I got the strong sense that Hassell, irrespective of his misgivings about any disappointment I expressed, expects his customers to grovel to him for games they’ve already paid for in full. And if they’re not willing to do that (as I certainly wasn’t), he’ll “punish” them by selling the machine to someone else.

After he decided to “punish” me (and my five-year-old grandson) by refusing to deliver or let me pick up the Godzilla Pro we had been eagerly anticipating since January (and I had paid him for in full), I did receive a refund, but only after getting law enforcement involved. As luck would have it, I contacted an out-of-state dealer the next day that had just had a customer cancel on a Godzilla Pro. Not only was that dealer friendly, helpful, and genuinely excited about getting the game to me, but I got it at a lower price with free shipping and no sales tax.

Now, I know a lot of people in these forums tend to side with the sellers, and I’m not seeking a “verdict” here. Some are going to reply to this post with positive experiences they’ve had with Craig Hassell – which doesn’t change my experience – to me, in all honesty, he has come off as an arrogant, vindictive predator (seems people should readily recognize that something is off-kilter with a businessman who has a world view in which he is the only one telling the truth while most of his customers are lying).

Nonetheless, I’m simply reporting what happened to me (and quite a few others) so that folks can make informed decisions about doing business with a company that has a verifiable track record of unhappy customers. And with the kind of money involved in pinball purchases these days, it’s totally your choice as to whether or not you make the mistake of assuming it won’t happen to you.

#2 2 years ago

In 2017, I bought my first game from Craig. During the transaction, he made a comment that kinda struck me weird, but otherwise was okay. Picked up the game two days later and still have it. In 2018, I inquired about the show specials for TPF. Granted it was the deadline day, but when I messaged I would call him after work, his response beginning with "Hey, buddy listen..." rubbed me the wrong way. Okay. Not buying from him again. He gives off a weird vibe and has a bad attitude. Found a better deal later anyway. Others, like you, have had worse experiences with him. Too bad none of us did any research here first.

For NIB Stern games, Zach at FlipNOut is now my go-to guy.

Despite your bad experience, I hope you are enjoying your new games!

(Oh, and for the record, the distributor is really supposed to be the one to contact Stern for service. For Craig to tell you to do it was out of line. They will answer customer e-mails, though, and have been very helpful the couple times I had issues.)

(Oh, oh, also most dealers will ship games direct from Stern to the customer when not keeping backstock themselves. So, he's definitely doing something shady. Maybe it's just to collect that delivery fee. Maybe there's something else going on. I have an idea, but don't want to speculate.)

#3 2 years ago

Very interesting read. If you don’t mind sharing, how much were each game listed for prior to adding in shipping and taxes

#4 2 years ago
Quoted from mbl1116:

Very interesting read. If you don’t mind sharing, how much were each game listed for prior to adding in shipping and taxes

MSRP

#5 2 years ago

Do your home work!

#6 2 years ago

Next time use Flip n Out or Tilt Amusements. Sorry you had to deal with Fun!

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from rockrand:

Do your home work!

Yep do some research first on these people Before hand, These are all things we already know about "fun".

#8 2 years ago

back in the day, Fun ebay auctions would have scantily clad dressed women sitting on the machines… the shooter lanes were dirty and beat up no doubt!

#9 2 years ago

I've bought 2 NIB from Craig. I've never had any problem, even with repairs. 'Sorry you had a hassle.

#10 2 years ago

They basically stole the nib experience right out from under you. Unboxing is as good as, well you know...the other thing with a box.
I try and get all my machines dropshipped from the manufacturer and I pick up right at the terminal. Once I receive the machine if there's any issues I know it's between me and the manufacturer.(and pinside)
I've been down the rabbit hole where the local guy promises the world only to tell you to call the manufacturer instead of delivering on the bill of goods they sold you.
Live and learn it's like a right of passage. I try to refrain from pre orders (try;>) and buy from dealers on pinside who have stock in hand or will contact you when they can have one ready to be droppshipped to you. Once I accept delivery their obligation is done.
As always, my opinion, take it, toss it, stomp it, either way it's fine.

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from tp:

They basically stole the nib experience right out from under you. Unboxing is as good as, well you know...the other thing with a box.

That distributor is 100% clear that he will not deliver NIB so without wanting to “defend” (I don’t care about Fun!), it’s not stealing if it was never part of the deal.

If one wants this unboxing experience, don’t buy from Fun!

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from galore2112:

That distributor is 100% clear that he will not deliver NIB so without wanting to “defend” (I don’t care about Fun!), it’s not stealing if it was never part of the deal.
If one wants this unboxing experience, don’t buy from Fun!

Fair enough, point taken. He was told of this or sold into this.

Can we then say he was sold a warranty and then they 'stole' it back when he tried to cash it in ?

#13 2 years ago

Craig was a butthead to me. he called me while I was fixing a game on my route, not sure where he got my number....asking if I could drive almost 3 hrs away to Amish country here in FLA to fix an EM he sold on ebay- how much it would be. Let's see 6hr round trip, gas, and fixing the damn game I said 500 dollars he scoffed and begged for a cheaper price, after saying no, the insults and anger came from his end, I said have a good day dude-click.

I heard nic viola went there on his free tour thing and spent many hours on it for free,

Not sure why anyone would help this guy out, bieng the scum he is.

#14 2 years ago
Quoted from Charliew65:

back in the day, Fun ebay auctions would have scantily clad dressed women sitting on the machines… the shooter lanes were dirty and beat up no doubt!

I think that was the gameroom guys. Fun's auctions always had a stock pic that probably wasn't the actual game in the auction.

#15 2 years ago

You should send your story to Stern. Stern should start adjusting distributors stock based on reputation and stories like this.

Ironic that he asks you to call stern and submit a claim/troubleshoot the problem. Stern will not even allow you to do this. Warranty and replacement claims HAVE to go through a distributor.

#16 2 years ago
Quoted from splitcms:

You should send your story to Stern. Stern should start adjusting distributors stock based on reputation and stories like this.
Ironic that he asks you to call stern and submit a claim/troubleshoot the problem. Stern will not even allow you to do this. Warranty and replacement claims HAVE to go through a distributor.

Not really. They just need to be copied on the email. Haha.

#17 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Not really. They just need to be copied on the email. Haha.

Just went through the process for a replacement. 100% has to come from a distributor. The distributor I bought the game from passed away so I had to find a different one to submit the request. Kind of odd…

#18 2 years ago

Okay. Just did like 5-6 replacements in the past year or so and everyone came from me with them copied on the email.

#19 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Okay. Just did like 5-6 replacements in the past year or so and everyone came from me with them copied on the email.

I have as well in the past. New policies =\

#20 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Plus you’re missing the point. A distributor is telling him to go through stern when sterns policy is for the distributor to submit the requests. Despite past experiences, that’s the policy….

#21 2 years ago
Quoted from splitcms:

Plus you’re missing the point. A distributor is telling him to go through stern when sterns policy is for the distributor to submit the requests. Despite past experiences, that’s the policy….

Agree that’s the policy but ime (most recent request was confirmed in the past month), as long as you’re distro is copied, you’re good. So having he seller say go through stern is not uncommon. That’s all I’m saying. I’d be much more worried about all the other issues. Those are horrible.

#22 2 years ago

Do other distributors not allow you to unbox your new game at home? This seems very odd to me. Why would they care?

#23 2 years ago
Quoted from splitcms:

Just went through the process for a replacement. 100% has to come from a distributor. The distributor I bought the game from passed away so I had to find a different one to submit the request. Kind of odd…

Quoted from chuckwurt:

I recently had to go thru a distro for a Spike 2 CPU order (out of warranty), Stern wouldn't sell to me directly. Weird thing is...Stern sells the Spike 2 CPU on their web site?!

So definitely getting mixed messages from Stern.

Sorry for the sidebar...back to 'Fun! Billiards & Gameroom Superstore'. Seems like the guy goes out of his way to be a PIA for no reason. So if you live across the county, they still unbox it at the store? Then repackage and ship to you instead of having it shipped to you directly?

#24 2 years ago

I’ve definitely had to buy stuff through my distro for sure.

#25 2 years ago

Stern should review this thread and consider if FUN still meets their reseller requirements. Open the NIB game to inspect before delivering to you and then refusing to honor their 30 warranty? I know that's not the kind of service Stern wants from a reseller.

With so many new people entering the hobby, this is not the kind of service anyone should be receiving. So many solid and upstanding resellers out there, cut these guys off.

#26 2 years ago

I do not buy machines from Fun!. I spoke to them several years ago about a JP Pro. I was told the same thing about the mandatory $150 delivery fee (even though I told them I wanted to have it shipped to my home and I would unbox it, same issue OP had).

The real kicker was I offered to trade in my very nice condition STTNG towards the JP Pro. They offered me $2000 for the STTNG. Now this was a $3800-4000 machine at that point and given how they overprice their used pins I would guess they would have put something like a $4999 price tag on it. I quickly said thanks but no thanks, sold my STTNG privately for $4000 and bought a LOTR privately. Better move on my part as it turns out I think.

Anyhow, Fun! certainly has a reputation and when I placed my GZ Premium order I specifically did not order from them.

#27 2 years ago

I’m sorry you had a bad experience, sincerely. I see that you are quite angry.

I did notice this is the second forum thread you have started on this topic.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nib-vs-used-opinions-please#post-6818721

As a long time customer of the store, I would like to again say that my experiences have been very positive and I would recommend them to others. I implore them to avoid this thread and stay away from the pitchforks.

#28 2 years ago

Man, sorry about this experience!

I called him a couple of years ago about a NIB game and was prepared to go pick it up in-person, but like many of you said his demeanor seemed to change and he started getting a little cagey and even a bit defensive at that point. Of course I was immediately put-off, and made no further contact; digging deeper after the fact, I realized I may have dodged a bullet.

I don’t know if he is an “old timer” in the industry, but that could possibly explain some of it. I think some of the old guys were simply unable (or unwilling) to adapt their customer service approach to the market shift away from operators (who don’t typically need a lot of post-sale support) to home buyers (who may have more questions and need a little more hand-holding).

I don’t know of another distro in the D/FW area, but I have been in Joystix Houston a few times (though I haven’t yet bought from them) and they seem like a good place. Great store, nice folks, and the condition of the used games seemed consistent with the online descriptions; they also seem to maintain a good selection of some fairly rare and interesting video cabs.

#29 2 years ago
Quoted from Vandy89:

Do other distributors not allow you to unbox your new game at home? This seems very odd to me. Why would they care?

I think it’s a cover his butt strategy. He probably takes many pictures so in case the customer claims damage he has “proof” it was the customer.

I never bought anything from him and only two NIB machines in the past, both were delivered in the box to my house. My LOTR had (has) some abrasions on the bottom of the cabinet and that was straight out of the box from Stern. If I ever wanted to sell it, a potential customer will likely try to negotiate the price down because it isn’t pristine right from the factory.

I didn’t bother complaining but I’m sure some customers will complain if their NIB game isn’t flawless.

So the question is: Who did it?
I could not prove it was the factory.

It is in the interest of the distributor (and the customer) to know if the damage is caused by the factory or the customer. It’s just too easy to scratch or damage a bulky item like a pinball machine trying to unbox it and I’m sure there’s a non trivial chance customers screw this up.

#30 2 years ago

Hassell = Hassle

#31 2 years ago
Quoted from texas_compadre:

I’ve been collecting pinball games for a good number of years but have only bought used machines from individuals in the past. But when Stern announced the Rush pinball games back in January, I knew it was a dream theme I had to have and could now afford, having enjoyed a period of business success in recent years. Having also read the rave reviews for Godzilla, I decided I would buy both a Rush Premium AND a Godzilla Pro. My dinosaur-loving five-year-old grandson was walking on air after I told him we were getting a Godzilla pinball machine, and we started counting down the weeks until our first new-in-box pinball purchase experience(s).
I checked into some out-of-state dealers who offered free shipping and white glove delivery, but not knowing much about those dealers, I decided to look closer to home.
Enter Fun! Billiards & Gameroom Superstore just across the DFW Metroplex from me in Mesquite, Texas. I drove over to Fun! and talked to owner Craig Hassell about purchasing the two NIB machines, pointing out that some dealers were offering free shipping to my door. I asked if he would offer free delivery. “No,” he replied, “we charge a $150.00 delivery fee per game.” He went on to point out the benefit of buying locally: if there were problems with the machines after delivery, he would send someone out to do any needed repairs/adjustments as part of his 30-day warranty. That seemed reasonable to me. Knowing the ETA on Rush Premium would be early March and the ETA on the Godzilla Pro would be early April, I asked if he would be willing to deliver both machines for a single $150.00 delivery fee, and he agreed to do that (note that there was never any assumption both games would be delivered at the same time). I put down deposits for both machines and walked out with a bill of sale.
The problems started as soon as my Rush Premium shipped out from Stern on March 3rd. Craig texted me to say that he expected the game in by mid-week the following week but added that “your Godzilla hasn’t arrived yet, and since it’s two deliveries, another $150 delivery fee will apply.” I pointed out to him that on the day I put down my deposits we had discussed that the games would be delivered on two different dates, and that he had agreed on a single $150 delivery fee for both deliveries (which is documented on my bill of sale).
Now by this point in my dealings with Craig, I had started getting a weird feeling in the pit of my stomach about him… arrogant and dismissive, he just put off a “these pesky customers” kind of vibe, at least toward me. I started searching Pinside and the all-but-defunct rec.games.pinball forums for any past history of Fun! Billiards & Gameroom Superstore and its owners, including Craig Hassell. My search led to the discovery that the previous owners, Steve Nordseth and Gideon Graves, seem to have firmly established Fun! as one of the most dishonest, disreputable pinball dealerships in the United States. Especially disconcerting was a “buyer beware” Pinside thread from four years ago in which, under Craig Hassell’s management, Fun! was refusing to both (a). deliver an expensive LE pinball game a customer had paid for in full, and (b). refund the customer’s money. In that thread, Hassell got caught in a number of careless, blatant lies regarding the customer’s refund that he was holding back, and it was soon unanimous among forum participants that Hassell was in the wrong, with even some of his buddies calling him out… yet he kept vacillating between admitting he was at fault and then flying off the handle and spewing insults, making himself look worse with every comment he made. After reading that thread in its entirety, I was pretty certain I was in for a rough ride with my first NIB pinball purchase experience with Fun!.
I decided that rather than wait on Fun! to deliver the Rush Premium, I preferred to drive over to the store and pick it up myself. I texted Craig and politely asked him to let me know when the game arrived and that I would like to pick it up. He immediately called and said he couldn’t allow me to do that. “We have to unbox the game, set it up, and check it out prior to letting it leave the store,” he said. I explained my understanding that I was purchasing new-in-box games and that I preferred to unbox them at home, but he wouldn’t budge. I had no choice but to go along with his “policy” and await delivery of my non-NIB game.
Upon their request, I paid Fun! the full balance owed on the Rush Premium on March 8th, and it was delivered on March 11th. During the first couple of games I played, I noticed that the LED under the action (lockdown) button was not lighting, and one of the playfield pop bumper rings was jamming in the down position when struck by the ball. Apparently, these issues were not discovered when Fun! had set up the machine to “check it out”.
I texted Craig about the issues asked if someone could look into them at the time of my upcoming Godzilla Pro delivery. “Sure,” he replied, “but check to make sure the LED board is plugged in.” I texted him back that it was plugged in, but received no reply, and that feeling in the pit of my stomach came back.
On April 4th, a Fun! employee called to collect the remaining balance for my Godzilla Pro, which I paid in full over the phone, and we scheduled delivery for April 14th.
On April 7th I again texted Craig about the problems with my Rush Premium and politely asked if he could send a replacement LED board when they delivered my Godzilla Pro. This time, his answer was a flat “no, we don’t have the part and my delivery guys are not techs, call Stern, they’ll probably send you the part and walk you through the repair.” Becoming angry at this point, and preferring not to attempt a repair that could potentially void the factory warranty on my game, I asked if he was really going to blow off his supposed 30-day store warranty that easily. I mean, he could have said “try to work it out with Stern; if that doesn’t work, we’ll come out and fix it when we get the part in,” but just flat “no, we don’t have the part, call Stern, you’re on your own” didn’t seem reasonable to me (just try getting a human being on the phone at Stern – ain’t gonna happen).
By this point, having my Godzilla Pro paid in full and receiving a very dismissive string of “no… no… no…” from Craig on what I felt were perfectly reasonable customer expectations, I texted him to express my disappointment and ask if I could just come pick the game up at his store. “I’m sorry you are disappointed,” he replied, “you can pick up tomorrow.”
I texted back and asked, “Will you keep the original box and packing so I can use it to protect the game during transit in a U-Haul trailer?” Well, that question, which I thought was perfectly reasonable, didn’t go over well with Craig…
Now, I have to pause for a moment and ask: why is Craig Hassell and Fun! so hesitant to sell unopened, NIB games? That just seems “off” to me. For most pinball owners, unboxing their first NIB machine is a rite-of-passage. Youtube has plenty of pinball unboxing videos, including old guys like me sharing the experience with their grandsons (like I was looking forward to doing). Reluctantly, I went along with Craig’s policy that they needed to “check out the game” before delivering it, even though they had “checked out” my Rush Premium, yet failed to find the two glaring problems with the game prior to delivering it to me. So, again, something seems weird about this policy. It doesn’t make sense that they would unbox, set up, and “check out” a machine, only to then deliver it with obvious issues.
I next received a text from Craig saying he would not be offering any warranty on the Godzilla Pro since I was picking it up at his store. That was fine, I replied (since he had refused to honor his warranty on my Rush Premium anyway). I also added that I would review accordingly, and his response was, since “you refuse to even work with me, I CAN JUST SELL IT TO SOMEONE ELSE.”
Now, my mention of “reviewing accordingly” obviously hit a nerve with Craig. In the ensuing exchange of texts, he accused me of “threatening” him. Only someone who knows they’re not doing business on the up-and-up would consider the potential of an honest customer review to be a “threat”. At this point, I remembered the Pinside thread four years ago in which Hassell was holding on to another customer’s LE game AND money. When that customer had emailed Fun! to demand the refund he was rightfully entitled to, Fun! had emailed him back: “GOOD LUCK WITH THAT.” In fact, they held on to that customer’s money for many, many months, telling him all the while, “the check’s in the mail.”
Fun! first came into prominence years back on rec.games.pinball because of their practice of staging private eBay auctions and, by the consensus of forum members, having shill bidders drive their prices up to insane levels. Apparently, eBay finally caught on and banned them from selling on the platform. There are also numerous online accounts of Fun! misrepresenting games and then delivering garbage to their customers. Several current Google reviewers have been taken to the cleaners by them, including customers who have received incomplete shipments, only to have Fun! respond that they would do “dock checks”, but ultimately neither “finding” the missing goods NOR returning the customers’ money.
There are reports of game repairs after which customers got home with their equipment only to find the paid for repairs were either not done at all or were done incorrectly. There are reports of customers purchasing machines represented as being “completely refurbished, excellent condition”, only to receive trashed-out, malfunctioning machines. There is an abundant history of negative reviews about this company and their business practices.
In my case, Hassell changed virtually every parameter of the deal we had agreed upon after I had paid him in full for the games - refusing to honor his agreement to provide two deliveries for a single delivery fee, refusing to honor his promised 30-day warranty, refusing to let me take possession of new-in-box, unused games, telling me I could not pick the games up at his store, then telling me I could, then finally refusing to let me take possession at all – in the case of my Godzilla Pro, I can only assume he did indeed “SELL IT TO SOMEONE ELSE.”
During the course of doing business with Fun!, I got the strong sense that Hassell, irrespective of his misgivings about any disappointment I expressed, expects his customers to grovel to him for games they’ve already paid for in full. And if they’re not willing to do that (as I certainly wasn’t), he’ll “punish” them by selling the machine to someone else.
After he decided to “punish” me (and my five-year-old grandson) by refusing to deliver or let me pick up the Godzilla Pro we had been eagerly anticipating since January (and I had paid him for in full), I did receive a refund, but only after getting law enforcement involved. As luck would have it, I contacted an out-of-state dealer the next day that had just had a customer cancel on a Godzilla Pro. Not only was that dealer friendly, helpful, and genuinely excited about getting the game to me, but I got it at a lower price with free shipping and no sales tax.
Now, I know a lot of people in these forums tend to side with the sellers, and I’m not seeking a “verdict” here. Some are going to reply to this post with positive experiences they’ve had with Craig Hassell – which doesn’t change my experience – to me, in all honesty, he has come off as an arrogant, vindictive predator (seems people should readily recognize that something is off-kilter with a businessman who has a world view in which he is the only one telling the truth while most of his customers are lying).
Nonetheless, I’m simply reporting what happened to me (and quite a few others) so that folks can make informed decisions about doing business with a company that has a verifiable track record of unhappy customers. And with the kind of money involved in pinball purchases these days, it’s totally your choice as to whether or not you make the mistake of assuming it won’t happen to you.

Really a good read and well articulated. Took some time I'm sure.

#32 2 years ago
Quoted from Nevus:

I’m sorry you had a bad experience, sincerely. I see that you are quite angry.
I did notice this is the second forum thread you have started on this topic.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nib-vs-used-opinions-please#post-6818721
As a long time customer of the store, I would like to again say that my experiences have been very positive and I would recommend them to others. I implore them to avoid this thread and stay away from the pitchforks.

I would expect most anyone who lays out in excess of $17,000.00 of hard-earned money for two NIB pinball machines and gets taken to the cleaners is going to be moderately angry. I'm glad to know your experiences with this dealer have been positive, but that doesn't cancel out the stressful, unpleasant experiences I, along with many others who've dealt with them, have had.

The main point of my post was encapsulated in the post's last sentence: "And with the kind of money involved in pinball purchases these days, it’s totally your choice as to whether or not you make the mistake of assuming it won’t happen to you."

#33 2 years ago

I feel like you should
And maybe
And then
From now on

#34 2 years ago
Quoted from bangerjay:

I feel like you should
And maybe
And then
From now on

Untitled (resized).pngUntitled (resized).png
#36 2 years ago

Whew, glad I didn't go with Fun last week. Hopefully Maine Home Recreation holds up to the general vibe/reviews of them I see on this forum.

#37 2 years ago

OP isn't exactly the most patient person in this community. He sent me a snotty email at 3am because I didn't respond to his multiple new product requests three days prior. I get dozens of these requests a week, and OP couldn't wait for a response before sending me a shitty email lambasting my "service". It says right on my contact form that I cannot respond to all these requests at times (but I usually do anyway). 499 out of 500 people in this community are awesome...then there is Brian. He blocked me on Facebook when I brought this up to him today. So retailers in this community, be very careful engaging with Brian Burns.

#38 2 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

OP isn't exactly the most patient person in this community. He sent me a snotty email at 3am because I didn't respond to his multiple new product requests three days prior. I get dozens of these requests a week, and OP couldn't wait for a response before sending me a shitty email lambasting my "service". It says right on my contact form that I cannot respond to all these requests at times (but I usually do anyway). 499 out of 500 people in this community are awesome...then there is Brian. He blocked me on Facebook when I brought this up to him today. So retailers in this community, be very careful engaging with Brian Burns.

I’m sorry to hear that, but there are still plenty of whiny little girls in this hobby.

#39 2 years ago

Sounds like this Craig guy is a piece of work, but whenever I hear "predator" or "bully" in a soliloquy, I start to question the authors sensibilities. All in all though, I have read enough about Fun, that they would never get my bread.

#40 2 years ago

FWIW ive bought 4 NIB games from Fun and never had an issue

#41 2 years ago
Quoted from badbilly27:

Stern should review this thread and consider if FUN still meets their reseller requirements. Open the NIB game to inspect before delivering to you and then refusing to honor their 30 warranty? I know that's not the kind of service Stern wants from a reseller.
With so many new people entering the hobby, this is not the kind of service anyone should be receiving. So many solid and upstanding resellers out there, cut these guys off.

Jared reads the forums, maybe he will see this and do something about this shitty distributor.

#42 2 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

JodyG, please post the email (with headers) that I sent you.

#43 2 years ago

I don't know about the current owners of FUN! but the previous ones were without a doubt crooks. I bought two machines from them years ago and they were missing boards, had burnt connectors, DMD with lines out, and generally hacked up. I had them delivered and when I started to look in the back box their delivery guy looked like he was going to have a heart attack. I guess he knew what was inside. It's a shame that business is conducted that way.

#44 2 years ago

True. The ownership changed like 2 months ago. The owner who is trashed on rgp is long gone

#45 2 years ago
Quoted from way2wyrd:

True. The ownership changed like 2 months ago. The owner who is trashed on rgp is long gone

But the owner who trashed HIMSELF here on Pinside is the current one, Craig Hassell, who has been the manager at Fun! for a number of years. For example, check out this Pinside thread from a few years back:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/buyer-beware-fun-billiards

In this thread, a lynch mob starts drawing in around the OP for starting a "buyer beware" thread. Then Craig Hassell chimes in, looking like Cool Hand Luke at first. Then the OP starts responding to Hassell's claims with actual emails from Fun!, and Hassell ends up getting caught in false statement after false statement. By the end of the thread, Hassell is waffling between being apologetic, admitting he is in the wrong, and then hurling hot-headed insults at Pinsiders in general, revealing his true character... even his buddies are calling him out at that point.

Hey, I'm truly glad to read that some have had positive buying experiences with Fun!, but once again, that doesn't cancel out the many more who haven't been so fortunate.

#46 2 years ago

Who-Dey posted a bunch in that thread.

#47 2 years ago

Craig Hassell may or may not be the slimiest businessman in the industry. We’ve learned countless times on this forum that there’s ALWAYS three sides to the story. And based on the divided comments, it seems the jury is out on that one. But the OP definitely sounds like the worst customer ever. (See his FB post where he smears the guy and his company, but yet blocks him so he can’t see it or defend himself). So how can anyone really pick a side, here?

#48 2 years ago
Quoted from way2wyrd:

FWIW ive bought 4 NIB games from Fun and never had an issue

Were you forced to pay a deliver fee and not be allowed to open your games, yourself? I'm curious because this is the only distributor I've heard of this requirement.

#49 2 years ago

Man, that DRAMA over a pinball machine and if it comes in a box. I swear, adults can be like highschool children.

If I was Stern, I’d offer the option of a nicely printed box (limited of course, $5000 upcharge) for that special moment when the proud new owner (likely some dude in his 50s) can unpack their pride and joy.

Bonus: The pinside reseller sharks can scalp this for an extra quick $10000.

#50 2 years ago
Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

Were you forced to pay a deliver fee and not be allowed to open your games, yourself? I'm curious because this is the only distributor I've heard of this requirement.

nope. I went and picked them up

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
O'fallon, IL
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ScottieIA Mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

€ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

$ 275.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Performance Pinball

Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Chula Vista, CA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 14.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 22.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 135.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Performance Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Wood Dale, IL
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Fort Myers, FL
There are 201 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-first-nib-purchase-experience-fun-in-mesquite-tx and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.