(Topic ID: 70374)

My first Monster Bash Mod :) what do you think ? ( work in progress )

By Lma

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 96 posts
  • 77 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by HOOKED
  • Topic is favorited by 15 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

There are 96 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 5 years ago

Very nice work!!! Count me in on purchasing one from you!

#52 5 years ago

That is awesome!

#53 5 years ago

Very nice
Add me to the list as well.

#54 5 years ago

I'm in.

#55 5 years ago

Terrific job...that's a great addition for MB!
Please add me to the list for one.

#56 5 years ago

Quoted from Lma:

I think that as soon as i know a little better on how much this mod will cost me to make . I will start with a first run of 10.

As soon as i have the price , i will creat a pre-order list.

#57 5 years ago

Damn, that's a sick mod!

Count me in as well!

#58 5 years ago

Love it - i would be in

#59 5 years ago

I am down! Would love to have this mod!

#60 5 years ago

Put me on the list!

#61 5 years ago

How bright is it? Those flashers really pop on the game, and this mod, which don't get me wrong looks very cool and fits perfectly, doesn't seem all that bright, given lights usually look twice as bright in vids as the do in person.

Also don't these things have the possibility to arc with nearby metal? What happens in the globe cracks from a ball, and then it turns on? What voltage is it tied into?

I'm not trying to be the naysayer here, it looks great, but I question how suitable something like this is inside a pinball machine which has the ability to smash it open at any time.

#62 5 years ago

put me on the list..

#63 5 years ago

Impressive! Great 1st mod!

Ken
Www.pinballrebel.com

#64 5 years ago

Please put me on the list as well. That is BADASS!

#65 5 years ago

Fantastic work! I would definitely be interested in one of these mods. Would it be possible to make the light brighter?

#66 5 years ago

Brand new pinside account. Brand new youtube account. Odd.

Andre, is that you?

#67 5 years ago

Wow !!!

Thanks everybody for your feedback .
I haven't think that , this mod will have so much success.

For the brightness of the plasma balls . That was one of my issues when i started the mod . These balls are, due to their tech , less brighter than a regular flasher . but I was be able to get the plama ball almost twice brigther than normal !!! This is still less bright than a flasher but it's 10 times better than before

I will make another video where you can see the entire playfield + dmd . To show how amazing everything blends together .

Now for the plasma balls protection, I repeat that the actual plasma balls are encapsulated into a thick hard clear plastic that proctect the balls to crack by a hit . It's very effective, and much enough to protect them from any air ball

To create an arc with any metalic parts , the parts have to actually touch the plasma ball !
Even very close to the sphere , nothing happen . By the way your fingers works too
Now if you want to place some metalic parts on the sphere to create a specific shape , it will work , but i really don't recommend that , cause that can make the ball breaks after a while ...

for the FBI , i have my account for a long time now on pinside , but i post only when i have something interresting to say , means very rarely. And yes i have created an youtube account to post my first video , odd...

When the mode will be done , i will have pretty much pushed it to it's max potential

Thanks again guys , that's really motivating to see your reactions

I will put some update during the week .

#68 5 years ago
Quoted from Kcpinballfan:

This is a cool mod, I wouldn't mind one for Scared Stiff.

Yes, please look into this....

#69 5 years ago

That is badass!!!

#70 5 years ago

How did I miss this? Nice job!

#71 5 years ago
Quoted from Kcpinballfan:

This is a cool mod, I wouldn't mind one for Scared Stiff.

Yes it would. If you do some for SS, you can add me to the list.

#72 5 years ago

Add me to the list

#73 5 years ago

Yup! SS list....

#74 5 years ago

I'd definitely like one when available.

#75 5 years ago

....wait a minute. Was this the mod that someone had in a couple machines (Xenon) a while ago and said it interfered with the electrical situation. The machine was acting erratically. Or am I thinking of something else?

#76 5 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

....wait a minute. Was this the mod that someone had in a couple machines (Xenon) a while ago and said it interfered with the electrical situation. The machine was acting erratically. Or am I thinking of something else?

This? http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/next-to-bring-back-to-life-xenon-by-whridlsoncestood-5712/page/6#post-331607

#77 5 years ago

Yes! That was one...there was another as well. So, is this thing safe, or what?

#78 5 years ago

I'm in if you make them, please put me on the list.

Joe(acejedi)

#79 5 years ago

Makes me want the game! (well, more than I already did... )

#80 5 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

well we have had it in there for a while now without issue... we will continue to test it out and see but I really doubt it's goign to be an issue...

additionally we are not changing the stock HV cable like the person did in that other thread which can lead to issues on the HV side

these things are basically free-running oscillators running into a small xformer to make a really cheap inverter... ideal no? But burning out switch matrix and making the game play itself? I really doubt it especially on a newer machine like this

additionally we are going to be play testing this for a while before we let them out into the wild

#81 5 years ago
Quoted from flecom:

additionally we are going to be play testing this for a while before we let them out into the wild

Cool! I love them! I hope they test out fine. I just pointed that out because I didn't want you to have any problems down the road. I'm IN for a Scared Stiff Mod.

#82 5 years ago

ya the last thing I would want is to blow up a bunch of MBs!

#83 5 years ago

Very interested one for MB!

#84 5 years ago

When ready, I would like to be placed onto the list.
thanks

#85 5 years ago
Quoted from Lma:

For the brightness of the plasma balls . That was one of my issues when i started the mod . These balls are, due to their tech , less brighter than a regular flasher . but I was be able to get the plama ball almost twice brigther than normal !!! This is still less bright than a flasher but it's 10 times better than before

Now for the plasma balls protection, I repeat that the actual plasma balls are encapsulated into a thick hard clear plastic that proctect the balls to crack by a hit . It's very effective, and much enough to protect them from any air ball

I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but how did you double the brightness? I can only assume you upper the voltage? Is the protection encapsulation part of the original design from wherever you got this, or did you make this? If original, was it not designed for a lower voltage then? Is the wire rated for double the voltage, if again that is how you achieved the increase in brightness. What voltage is this tied into?

Either way plastic against metal balls, and a HV plasma electrode sound iffy to me.

Again, I think it looks great, and I'm not trying to shoot down your idea, just very curious about what could be quite dangerous, maybe I'm wrong. I'm a large loss liability guy, this is what I probe all day long. A quick look in Wikipedia finds this:

"Hazards

Interior of a plasma ball
Bringing conductive materials or electronic devices close to a plasma globe may cause the glass to become hot. The high voltage radio frequency energy coupled to them from within the globe may cause a mild electric shock, even through a protective plastic casing. The radio frequency field produced by plasma lamps can interfere with the operation of touchpads used on laptop computers, digital audio players, cell phones, and other similar devices.[1] Some types can radiate sufficient radio frequency interference (RFI) to interfere with cordless telephones and Wi-Fi devices several feet away.

If a tinfoil hat is placed on the globe, capacitive coupling can transfer enough current through the foil to give a small arc burn or light a small lamp connected to earth ground. This is possible because the globe's glass acts as a capacitor dielectric: the inside of the lamp acts as one plate, and any conductive object on the outside acts as the other capacitor plate.[3] This is dangerous to do, can damage the globe, and presents a fire hazard."

#86 5 years ago

ya upping the voltage won't make it brighter just make it saturate more (give you more "fingers")

you can add grounded foil to create a nice arc but like the wiki states you could cause uneven heating on the glass which could cause it to fracture (bad)

yes these are DEFINITELY not as bright as flashers, but the effect is soooooo cool that I don't think it matters personally... pretty sure the video captures that fairly well...

2 months later
#87 5 years ago

any update on this mod?

i now have a Monster Bash and a Scared Stiff that i might like to put these on

1 month later
#88 5 years ago

Any updates?

#89 5 years ago

If you've made these, let me know. They look cool as hell.

#90 5 years ago

looks pretty sweet. wish I had a MB to put it in once they become available. glwts!

#91 5 years ago

Update please?

#93 5 years ago

An Update would be great!
I am very interested in this Mod.

#94 5 years ago

Nice... Very nice!

Where are you located? I ask because I'm wondering if it is outside of the USA and shipping sometimes gets costly to the states.

Chris Kruger

#95 5 years ago

Yes, we need an update!

Actually i always said that - apart from painting the monsters and letting their eyes glow - MB is a pin you cannot mod without ruining the look, but this is great. Would love to upgrade my MB with this.

#96 5 years ago
Quoted from HOOKED:

Tunder balls are very cool. I have two I wanted to mount on Metallica but the flashers really wash out the plasma.
MB is a great theme for this where its a darker PF.
Well done.

I have balls can make these no issues but I dont have a MB to fit them.
One thing to warn is for those that have super bright games these will be washed out.
So if you have LED - inserts- flashers- GI you will not see much of a light show.

If you have decided not to do these for MB just let us know and I can pick up the baton.
After getting the thunder balls, for what was to be Metallics mod, I compared them to the MB globes and they are about 50% larger than stock globes.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Boards
PCB Emporium
$ 999.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields
There are 96 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside