(Topic ID: 9627)

My first impression reviews! Played a lot of the top 50 today........

By iceman44

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 52 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by iceman44
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

images.jpeg
    4e93468fcdd54.image.jpg
    jordan.jpg
    peewee.jpg
    smack.jpg
    pee-wee-texas-300x168.jpg
    There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 12 years ago

So after reading about and drooling over so many different pins and getting to enjoy everybody else's reviews I got to make it over to Pinballz arcade in Austin today......I'm not sure I'm even coherent right now due to the info overload of all the machines I played.....the first thing that I will acknowledge is that I didn't get to play all of them multiple times because I was trying to get to as many as possible so without being able to dive too deep into any of them here are my impressions...Funny thing is they had the MM right at the front door and it didn't much play except for me....

WH20 - I played the most on this game, love the ramps etc., this is one I'd like to own for about 6 months and play the heck out of it until I got tired of it. A ton of fun, but I can see how it might get repetitive....the lock shot is too easy....

CV - Probably the game I was expecting the least from and was surprised the most by. I absolutely love it after 3 or 4 plays. What a unique game, beautiful layout....some that own say it's get old, I would love to own it.....

Junkyard - I thought it was a cool layout. Would like to play it more....

BDK - Another great surprise for me! Really like this one too, a new Stern to put on the must own list........

Fish Tales - Another cool layout, would like to spend more time with that one....

MM - A great game, would not pay the price! Too many other great games out there.....

AFM - No thanks, no desire to play that one again....

MB - Started to grow on me after a couple of plays, cool modes but.....sorry, not for the price....

TSPP - Played it before, loved it again, on the buy list....

CFTBL - It was ok, didn't love it, need more time on it.....

SS - See above, sorry Elvira, maybe she'd grow on me.....

IJ - One of the coolest games there in my opinion, very tough, especially with weak flippers, but just a great play field and cool layout....I'd love to own it just to look at it!

TOTAN - It was being worked on, really wanted to play that one....

Safecracker - Well, it was a unique game, fun and one I'd go back to play....

Dirty Harry - Glad I passed on that one....

Tron Pro - Sorry NP, the most disappointing game there for me, but then it was a Pro, a waste of .75 cents...

IM - Better than Tron but didn't like it much......

TAF - Played for the second time and liked it a little better, would never buy it though....

TZ - One of my favorites, like everyone else!

TFM - Didn't play it again and nobody else was either...

SM - I will own this one soon enough! The most fun of any machine there for me, along with LOTR...

Played a bunch of the others too and what I came away with is a new BUY LIST!!!

So with LOTR LE, WOZ and SM (soon..) my next top four to own are,

WH20, CV, TSPP and BDK

Well it was a whirlwind tour....damn it , forgot to play whirlwind

#2 12 years ago

Forgot to say AFM was my most overpriced and overrated game by far! Cool modes and theme but not so much on the play field and play imho.....

#3 12 years ago

I so love that place.

We were there last night and had a great time

#4 12 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

MM - A great game

AFM - No thanks, no desire to play that one again....

oh, never mind. dead horse.

#5 12 years ago

What's up way2wyrd, can't believe you can walk in there and play just about any pinball game you can imagine! I was blown away, and they maintain those pins in phenomenal shape...just not enough time to play everything I wanted to play!

#6 12 years ago

Sounds like a fun place to go.
    I will be there (Austin) in April so I will definitely check it out!

pee-wee-texas-300x168.jpgpee-wee-texas-300x168.jpg
    As for those "reviews" Ice, "Wowwwwwwwwww..." comes to mind!

#7 12 years ago

TAF will grow on you after a few trips to the arcade. I didn't love it at first either, but once I got deep into the mansion, it all made sense why people love it so much. It is on my wish list and I hope to own one someday.

#8 12 years ago
    Quoted from donjagra:

TAF will grow on you after a few trips to the arcade. I didn't love it at first either, but once I got deep into the mansion, it all made sense why people love it so much. It is on my wish list and I hope to own one someday

I know! That's what everyone says, just not enough time to get into to it for me.....

NP, make sure you put this place on the list when you visit, although my alma mater of UT has so much more to offer (6th street, Hula Hut, great golf courses etc.) you can't beat playing any pin you ever dreamed of!

My reviews are just like the first impression rose on the bachelor, she looks good up front like Salma, but does she play well for the long run!

#9 12 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

you can't beat playing any pin you ever dreamed of!

All the pins I dream of playing, don't exist... YET!!!

#10 12 years ago

Awesome. I too love the BDK and SM.

#11 12 years ago
    Quoted from NimblePin:

All the pins I dream of playing, don't exist... YET!!!

Great minds think alike! After today, seeing and playing all those great pins, there isn't one I could live without, except for maybe SM.....

I'm going back to the Future! WOZ and whatever else JJP and Stern can come up with, NIB's galore, the oldies aren't that great, just saying

#12 12 years ago

Pinballz is a mile from my house. I wish they had better lighting in there. Especially upstairs in the back.

#13 12 years ago

Great minds think alike!

Not with THOSE reviews pal!!! (<---kidding!)
    C'mon Ice... No love for Whirlwind?!?
    It is a CLASSIC! C-L-A-S-S-I-C!!!

smack.jpgsmack.jpg
    *Smack!*

#14 12 years ago

OT (but thought I'd point this out to the Mods):

For some reason the OP's State is coming up as TE.

No U.S. State has this abbreviation.

Boerne is located in Texas (State abbreviation is TX).

#15 12 years ago

"The stars at night are big and bright..."

peewee.jpgpeewee.jpg

#16 12 years ago
    Quoted from NimblePin:

Sounds like a fun place to go.
    I will be there in April so I will definitely check it out!

I need to get my tickets as well... Pinballz here I come!!!

#17 12 years ago
    Quoted from Winball_Pizard:

Pinballz is a mile from my house. I wish they had better lighting in there. Especially upstairs in the back.

Amen to that, couldn't see what I was doing on some of those pins upstairs! Needed my reader glasses there, that's why I went back down and didn't spend as much time upstairs....maybe that's why they put Elvira up there, she looks better in the dark?

#18 12 years ago
    Quoted from NimblePin:

"The stars at night are big and bright..."

Hahaha...well if you come to the great state of Texas NP you might never go back to Cali!

#19 12 years ago

I think you have that reversed Ice...
    I really love the food, and Austin is really growing into a "hipper/younger" community- I guess living there isn't such a bad thing. Maybe I can finally get a basement to call my own! Just by looking at some of the home prices around the city, I could quadruple my SF for the same $$$!
    Hmmmm... (Asks wife...)
    Nope! Staying here...

#20 12 years ago

My reviews are nothing short of a Jordan slam dunk.....

jordan.jpgjordan.jpg

#21 12 years ago

Well I live in SA, but yes we like to "keep Austin weird"..........

Since I have lived in Cali and many other places i can honestly say south Texas is hard to beat! Especially when you "have friends in low places"........

I was in the OC last year at the Anaheim convention center for a VBall tourney....don't they have all those airports around there so people can get out of Cali fast! haha jk

The traffic in Austin is terrible (not Cali bad) BUT....no state income tax in Texas, even better

#22 12 years ago

Hey, I played BDK today for the first time as well. Pretty good game. I also played Big Buck Hunter Pro and Demolition Man for the first and found them quite lame.

#23 12 years ago

don't they have all those airports around there so people can get out of Cali fast!

Not really...
    John Wayne Airport is the closest to Anaheim. It moves much faster than LAX, IMHO. Long Beach is good if you are flying 'Jet Blue' and Ontario Airport is just "meh" ...
    Most of the SoCal natives migrated to Oregon or Washington. (Sorry Oregon and Washington! )
    No State Income Tax?!?
    (Asks wife again...)
    Damn!

#24 12 years ago

Let's see....as he asks wife again...

lower taxes...
    housing value times 4.....(more pins for u)
    less traffic......
    beaches only 3 hrs away (warmer water!)...
    many lakes.....
    real mexican food....(not fake Chipolte style)
    and yes, Austin always has been "hipper/younger" no doubt!...just a country twist to it

John Wayne was really pretty easy on SW to get to Anaheim, if only I could have gone a little further to Diego then I might have stayed...

#25 12 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

real mexican food....(not fake Chipolte style)

Really???
    You need to ride with me Ice!
    I will show you the light! (And possibly the direction of the nearest toilet... )

#26 12 years ago

I'm Cali born and raised. I can't see me living anywhere else. I snowboard and surf, you can't do that in Texas.

#27 12 years ago
    Quoted from ianwho:

I snowboard and surf

+1... AND a half an hour's drive to do either one too!
    Good to hear from you Ian! Happy New Year!

#28 12 years ago
    Quoted from ianwho:

I'm Cali born and raised. I can't see me living anywhere else. I snowboard and surf, you can't do that in Texas.

Ian, you can surf in the gulf and do like me in the winter, hop a plane to Breckenridge! See list above.....

Quoted from NimblePin:

You need to ride with me Ice!
    I will show you the light! (And possibly the direction of the nearest toilet... )

Not a chance! I eat serranos, habanero and/or jalapeño as part of my daily diet! If I find the toilet it won't be because of the mexican food....it might be the tequila though, agave just goes down so smooth..

#29 12 years ago

Wait a minute, speaking on tequila, I'm staying on 4th street and it's time to head out to 6th street!

Now that you can't do in Cali....take care guys!

#30 12 years ago

anytime yall are gonna be in Austin let me know and ill grab some beers and head over to pinballz to show you some texas hospitality.

#31 12 years ago

I got to play Tron for he first time tonight (pro). I thought the shots were fun. Good flow and I liked the ramps. Dots were terrible and didn't care for the sound package. Game looked sparse to me - the LE probably helps it look more complete. It felt really solid. Stern has done well improving the feel of the games.

-Craig

#32 12 years ago

agave just goes down so smooth..

Now you are speaking my language Ice!
    I have two plants growing as we speak!

As for the peppers...
    I had to make some sacrifices due to constantly overindulging in super spicy foods during my youth and now can only eat them on occasion. (Thanks old age!!! )
    I still manage to stash away these two Mrs. Renfro's salsas just in case I get the urge for something spicy. I love eating either one with Mac & Cheese and tortilla chips.
    So gooooood!

4e93468fcdd54.image.jpg4e93468fcdd54.image.jpg images.jpegimages.jpeg

Thanks " " for the invite!
    I'd love to play pinball with you (or any other local Pinsiders)...
    Have fun Ice! Remember to keep your clothes on...

#33 12 years ago

Ghost Pepper salsa..... very Very VEry VERy VERY spicy!!!!

#34 12 years ago

great reviews. i think if you played some of these more you might change your reviews for the better... or worse. Can't believe you didn't like AFM!!!

#35 12 years ago

I was in Austin last summer for a hardcore festival and couldn't find the time to hit up pinballz, still really sad I missed that boat.

#36 12 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Well it was a Whirlwind tour....damn it , forgot to play Whirlwind []

That game is hard to beat for the price & in my top 10 regardless of price. A true classic, that.

#37 12 years ago

Go Rangers!

#38 12 years ago
    Quoted from docscott:

great reviews. i think if you played some of these more you might change your reviews for the better... or worse. Can't believe you didn't like AFM!!!

Survived 6th street last night albeit with a mild hangover, I don't know, tequila (only 100% agave) and beer seem to mix well with me.....maybe it was the nacho and jalapeño base layer? Had to semi behave myself with high school kid responsibility....

It's hard to get a great appreciation for any game after a few plays, these were just my first thoughts and with so many options, for the money, I would go CV versus AFM, just me, but getting to play them all back to back was pretty cool...

Ok NP, Mrs. Renfro is calling me! and yes, the Ghost pepper is hottest of them all!

Try the serrano, habanero and jalapeño combo though....it's awesome

I'm looking forward to 2012...WOZ!! and let's see what Stern does to raise the bar, gonna be great....

#39 12 years ago

alright, I'm lucky enough to have AFM and CV. I'll have a couple people do an in depth comparison...

Is tequila better when you play pinball while imbibing... I find it so. That's why you'll find my wet bar in a prominent position in my game room. Although Grey Goose and Johnny Walker blue tend to salve my pinball frustrations more than tequila....

#40 12 years ago

What's funny about a list like this is the games you like the most right out of the gate,might be the games you like the least in the long haul. I know that's how I feel about my CV.

#41 12 years ago

iceman no love for DH? interesting. would you like to comment?

#42 12 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

CFTBL - It was ok, didn't love it, need more time on it.....

No you don't, that's all there is.

#43 12 years ago

Yep, AFM is definitely one of the most overrated pins. Just don't get it at all....
    Would never drop that kinda cash for that machine.... Too many other great pins
    to pick from.

p

#44 12 years ago

AFM is tons of fun, I love it. Pretty hard finale to reach as well.

#45 12 years ago

Yeah Nimble, we should go snowboarding before this unnaturaly warm winter melts all the snow. You go to big bear I take it?

#46 12 years ago

I'm from CA and I love Austin! I do miss the mountains and the ocean though. The Texas Gulf is like a big mud puddle in comparison, sorry TX. Can't wait to see some F1 this year! The AFM flippers at pinballz are adjusted low so its harder to trap balls, thats my excuse at least.

#47 12 years ago
    Quoted from Ballsofsteel:

iceman no love for DH? interesting. would you like to comment?

What's up BallsofSteel, well I only had one play on DH, it didn't look that great to me compared to all the other ones and maybe because I drained balls too fast!....but the price is right!

Quoted from Honch:What's funny about a list like this is the games you like the most right out of the gate,might be the games you like the least in the long haul. I know that's how I feel about my CV.

That's what I'm saying, just a first impression and I really liked CV but a lot of people seem to get tired of it after a while.....

Quoted from docscott:

Is tequila better when you play pinball while imbibing... I find it so.

I'm with you Doc, plus a little country music to boot

#48 12 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Ballsofsteel said:iceman no love for DH? interesting. would you like to comment?
    What's up BallsofSteel, well I only had one play on DH, it didn't look that great to me compared to all the other ones and maybe because I drained balls too fast!....but the price is right!
    Honch said:What's funny about a list like this is the games you like the most right out of the gate,might be the games you like the least in the long haul. I know that's how I feel about my CV.
    That's what I'm saying, just a first impression and I really liked CV but a lot of people seem to get tired of it after a while.....
    docscott said:Is tequila better when you play pinball while imbibing... I find it so.
    I'm with you Doc, plus a little country music to boot

Favorite moments; A shot of Jose Gold, Cactus Canyon and country music playing in the background...

#49 12 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

haha, ya i'd agree with you..standing next to MB TDK AFM and all those other great titles i'd say it wouldn't catch my eye with its ugly artwork as well. its a fun game though, if you want to play a great early 90's williams! hope all is good man!

#50 12 years ago

Does Pinballz still have that Gottlieb Genie for sale for 8 grand? That always makes me smile.

There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-first-impression-reviews-played-a-lot-of-the-top-50-today and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.