(Topic ID: 62485)

My First Hands-On Wizard of Oz Experience (Video)

By Crash

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 72 posts
  • 38 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Crash
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider crash.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 years ago

I've been aspiring to play this game for months on end. Ever since I saw the pictures and read about people talking about how solid the game feels, how fun the shots are, the callouts, LCD, light show, etc. I was hoping to get the opportunity to finally try this masterpiece myself. I soon found out about Pintucky's WOZLE he had on preorder (this was over a year ago) and that got me stoked. Then just a couple of months ago Dale got one for his Chattanooga Pinball museum.

Yesterday I went to Pintucky's (this was my third visit) to play his game. Keep in mind that up to this point I have refrained from watching any gameplay videos as not to "spoil the surprise" if you will. I walked into his living room and saw it on the back wall with the playfield flooded with color. It was on free play of course, and I also noticed several fingerprints on the glass from his family members checking it out the 2 weeks before I came.

I spent about 2 hours trying to figure out what all the heck was going on while simultanously marveling at the look and feel of the machine. It is truly a work of art!! The machine feels like an absolute tank. The flippers, kickers, inserts, everything work flawlessly and feel great. Especially the slingshots. I have never seen such quick slingshots that feel like the soft sort of snappy "thud" that they do. Everything about the game gleams Williams quality. Even the playfield itself is quite heavy, heavier than even the renowned Sega ones.

Of course, being the techie that I am, I also had to look inside the PC box. There is simply so much going on in there that even I couldn't follow it all right away! I noticed the Micro ATX motherboard was mounted flush against the back of the box compared to early prototype games. This makes it very easy to get to various ports in the back verses taking the entire lid off if something were to come loose. The LEDs underneath the playfield wash out the underside in rich colors and the clean, easy to navigate service menu changes them to white so you can really see everything you would need to get to.

The ultimate idea here was to do a shoot similar to my Fish Tales video earlier in the summer (youtube(.)com/watch?v=7lQqo2HjBfI). Knowing that the system runs on a common off-the-shelf PC setup I decided to take the video a step further and capture direct signal feeds of both the display and the sound, and mix all of this together in editing. The result is below, done with nothing more than wires and cables strewn everywhere and my iPhone 4s zip-tied to a lamp. Pintucky and I eventually figured all this out, it took us a while.

Be sure to watch in 1080p and in full screen. I think it really turned out great. I hope to do this again in 2014 with a better capture box and more fleshed out rules. There is plenty of footage here to get a pretty solid idea of what we have right now (the game was running 1.17). Please give feedback, thanks, and enjoy!

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from Shoot_Again:

Thanks for sharing. Good video.
I would like to hear your thoughts after playing a few games.
I know it was not the newest code available but curious Crash what say you?

Thanks for the comments everyone! As far the the code itself goes Mike told me there are just a couple of generic fixes in 1.18, no actual rule updates. The game has breadth, but the depth is still developing. The split screen image on the LCD encourages you to stack modes. At the moment there are only 2 crystal ball modes (which is why I avoided it late game), one throne room award of 75,000 points, and I don't believe any of the haunted forest stuff is implemented yet. But still, there is lots more that I have yet to actually scratch the surface on.

My Dad and I will be headed to Dale's museum soon and we will both be able to check it out there.

#13 10 years ago

Hey how do I post another story? I posted my main profile story but can't figure out how to add another one.

#15 10 years ago

Tablet version:

#21 10 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

the game needs a lot more call outs.

It's funny, every time I shot the ramp and it returned to the left inlane I hear a random call out just like the early 90s Data East games. I'm not saying its good nor bad, but yes we are in dire need of more call outs. I only enjoy hearing, "Wake early if you wish to conquer!" so many times.

#28 10 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Agree. I actually like (and I didn't at first) that I'm not finishing a game with 200,000,000 points and that ends up just being an average game on some pins. In my opinion the lower scoring values make the points earned come off as being more meaningful.

Yeah might as well call a scoring mode "mega points" instead of "mega millions." A high score would be 300 points, possibly up to a thousand (otherwise billion) if you're really good. So many games now serve up a million points within a matter of seconds. It basically makes the thousandths place completely meaningless. Great idea to shift things back to the right of the decimal point.

#35 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Nice video crash. Thanks!

Great to see you back on Pinside Alex! If I were to do this again does the DVI-D port output video or just the VGA port? If you can make that happen the next feed I'll do will be in HD.

#46 10 years ago
Quoted from dgarrett:

Crush, Mike - excellent effort on the video, the idea to capture sound and LCD direct, then edit makes a great package.
One note on gamplay - you need to hold the right flipper and aim for collect. There are a lot of HOADC points there, as well as that's how to start haunted forest modes. You had them qualified in the video often, but never got the collect back at the shooter lane.

I don't believe there are any haunted forest modes implemented right now. Where is the collect shot and how do I make it?

#57 10 years ago
Quoted from statsdoc:

Crash, I think I owe you one. Between the ST disappointment (for me), the remarkable video you made, and all the positive comments from everyone, I changed my mind on WOZ. I bought one (standard with invisiglass and shaker) from Doughslingers (Buddy) and should get it sometime this year. Thank you for posting the video.

That's the entire point of the video. Congrats on your new game, you will love it!

Propel that projectile, my pinball pugilist! Shoot that sphere with speed!!

1 week later
#62 10 years ago

Yes, it's a 3.5mm headphone-style connector to the bottom right.

#64 10 years ago

Not for months. Shooting for late winter/early spring. It will be v2.x with an HD LCD feed.

2 months later
#69 10 years ago

I also heard there are some Easter egg callouts somewhere in the game files, from whoever managed to crack the heavy encryption or whatever.

3 months later
#72 10 years ago

Unfortunately Mike has decided to sell his game so you will not be seeing more gameplay videos from me...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms
Hardware
Electronics
Lermods
Electronics
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
Protection
11,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Spokane Valley, WA
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
Decorations
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 99.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com
Shooter rods
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons
$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball
Electronics
$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.
Toys/Add-ons
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 3.75
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.
Protection
Machine - For Sale
Charles Town, WV
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider crash.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-first-hands-on-wizard-of-oz-experience-video?tu=crash and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.