(Topic ID: 234360)

My first gun/sub game - what to look for?

By Drano

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 26 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Drano
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

midway stepper (resized).jpg
    20190209_114800 (resized).jpg
    24A0ED17-B6BC-4320-9913-BD25E15F6881 (resized).jpeg
    index (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Gundam_Pilot_.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 5 years ago

Well out of what you have here, Its the following from left to right

MCI: Super Red Baron
    Midway: Suck Hunt
    Chicago Coin: Super Scope Rifle
    Midway: Wild Kingdom
    Bally: Road Runner
    Sega: Missile

So the gun games (Particularly if they are midway) you need to look at where the gun mounts to the base. Typically these are made of plastic and very brittle. It takes 1 kid hanging on it, or one jolt to left or right to break it, and nobody has re-popped these on a large scale yet. It was a terrible cost cutting tactic to make them out of plastic versus metal.

Also look at the wood gun stocks and make sure nobody has repaired a cracked stock, again they do crack here and there.

Also know what games have solid state sounds, and what games have 8 track players. USUALLY the 8 tracks don't work because the player broke, or the tape broke. At very least, make sure you have 8 track player in the game if it has one. I couldn't tell you have many games I have come across that have had missing players.

Keep in mind that the rarer the game, the harder to find parts for. And rarity does not always equal value or fun factor. The Sega Missile looks cool on the outside, but honestly you could find a Midway S.A.M.I for super cheap, buy a reproduction film for $100, and have a substantially better game for half the cost of the Missile.

MCI Super Red Baron, though a rare game, it's not particularly a great player. The effects are cool in regards to being a projection game. IMO it would hold in a large collection for it being different, and rare.

Out of all the gun games, Wild Kingdom hands down is the best in that lineup. It has a cool black light scenery, and it also has enough targets to be good. The best part is that you compete against "Charlie" which is the hunter in the game. You have to shoot the targets before he does. So its like playing a computer.

Bally RoadRunner is a neat game. If you are into drivers that are not games like CC Speedway, Motorcycle, Sega Grand Prix. This is a great solution. IMO the best game of this lineup here. Its a hard game to find because its a good player and people tend to hold on to this game. I would like to eventually get one in my collection, but the opportunity to acquire one hasn't popped up where its been reasonably close.

I hope this info helps, and if you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

#5 5 years ago

Not that it matters, but I am an avid EM collector. If you are looking for any particular titles, I can keep an eye out for you. I am only on the other side of the lake from you. About 5.5 hours from GTA

3 weeks later
    #22 5 years ago

That is a great first game! You will be very happy with this choice. I personally dont have one yet, but am looking to find one for a reasonable price.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Gundam_Pilot_.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-first-gun-sub-game-what-to-look-for?tu=Gundam_Pilot_ and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.