image.jpg
IMG_0597.jpg
IMG_0596.jpg
IMG_0595.jpg
IMG_0584.jpg
IMG_0583.jpg
IMG_0582.jpg
#1 11 years ago

My first ground-up restore finally done, or at least allmost done, only some small to-does remain.

Dont have any before pics, but it was a good used pin with wear all over, playable, but in need of a restoration.

I have bought many many new parts, including Mirco playfield, licensed decals, legs, siderails, backboard, plastics, display, merlin popper, shaker, all plungers, sleeves, t-nuts, buttons, etc, etc, etc

Restoration has taken about 3 months.

- Floor has been sanded and coated with a satin clear to protect from dirt, both sides.
- cabinet has been primed, small imperfections filled with epoxy and painted about 5 times with wet sanding in between to get a smooth surface for the decals.
- inside cabinet paintet with a semi-gloss black paint - original serialnumber decals preserved.
- All underside parts cleaned and tumbled, some polished.
- All playfield parts cleaned, tumbled and polished to a near mirror finish.
- Decals applied using dry method.
- Both filt and plastic legprotectors installed.
- coindoor blasted and powdercoated satin black.
- Plexiglass backboard with homemade flasher effect.
- Homemade troll eye leds.

As I havent done a ground-up restore before or applied cabinet decals, I restored the cabinet of my Getaway the same way at the same time, just to be sure my choices of materials, paint, workprocess etc was good.
After getting both cabinets ready, I moved forward with the MM, leaving the getaway with the empty cabinet behind.

I decided to go on with normal original stainless rails,legs and black coindoor - know some prefer gold or brass, It was a tough choice, but after all I think the original looks better.

Happy it's done, what a tremendous job, what started as a playfield change job ended up as a complete restore. Things quickly "got out of hands" more and more parts got discarted cause of small imperfections - and why not install a shaker when I'm at it etc.
I kept the original ramps (that I flamepolished) and could also have bought more mods, but my pockets were turning inside out, all those parts really adds up.

I'm quite satisfied with the result!

IMG_0546.jpgIMG_0546.jpg IMG_0548.jpgIMG_0548.jpg IMG_0551.jpgIMG_0551.jpg IMG_0552.jpgIMG_0552.jpg IMG_0560.jpgIMG_0560.jpg IMG_0566.jpgIMG_0566.jpg

#2 11 years ago

more pics

IMG_0585.jpgIMG_0585.jpg IMG_0586.jpgIMG_0586.jpg IMG_0588.jpgIMG_0588.jpg IMG_0589.jpgIMG_0589.jpg IMG_0590.jpgIMG_0590.jpg IMG_0592.jpgIMG_0592.jpg

#3 11 years ago

last ones

IMG_0582.jpgIMG_0582.jpg IMG_0583.jpgIMG_0583.jpg IMG_0584.jpgIMG_0584.jpg IMG_0595.jpgIMG_0595.jpg IMG_0596.jpgIMG_0596.jpg IMG_0597.jpgIMG_0597.jpg

#4 11 years ago

Really nice job! Won't you get cabinet fade in that location though?

#5 11 years ago

Thanks!

It's only a temporarily location while getting everything assembled and adjusted.
The MM will be moved to the other side of the CV where my corvette is now. The Corvette will move to ..... - well I dont know yet - out of room. ;-(

Regards!

#6 11 years ago

Great job. Looks great. I will be doing decals on my MM soon.

#7 11 years ago

Another pin brought back to life. Looks great!!

#8 11 years ago

Looks awesome bud!!! Can I ask you or anybody... Will these marks come off of the playfield or is it too far gone? I tried novice 2 and 1. I don't want to wax until I know if it's a common grime that cleans up eventually or if it looks permanent. Thanks. And again yours looks awesome. Come do mine.. Lol!

image.jpgimage.jpg

#9 11 years ago

Magic Eraser and alcohol...the least water % alcohol you can get....or even Magic Eraser w/Novus 2 but not as effective but you could try that 1st. If you've never used a Magic Eraser best to read up on it. One too many moves and you might take some paint...unless pf is Mylar-ed. Also polishing kits w/foam pads for sale to on the pinball market.

Those marks look like ball 'dents'(are they?) w/dirt so don't expect the dents to come out. ; )

#10 11 years ago

well done, looks like new, you know it's a 25k pin now? if you add a little more.

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from Cash_Riprock:

Those marks look like ball 'dents'(are they?) w/dirt so don't expect the dents to come out. ; )

Not trying to take away from the thread topic here, but just to answer your question, I think they are dents. So maybe the dirt will clean up and it won't show as bad.

#12 11 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

well done, looks like new, you know it's a 25k pin now? if you add a little more.

Naturally I'll add a little something now and then!

Prices have not gone as insane overhere (Europe) as in the states - makes me wonder cause just about everything else is so much more expensive here, guess a lot of pins were imported to europe back then.

#13 11 years ago

Not really a restore is it, now way better than it originally left the factory.

1 week later
#14 11 years ago

Wow, what a cherry pin. Get it out of the sun as soon as possible!

#15 11 years ago

Thanks!

It has been move to a location out of the sun!
Actually kind of ironic - I live in Denmark - not the most sun friendly place in the world - currently freezing outside with about temperatures 1-2 degrees below zero!

About before pictures, I really do not have many that shows the pin in general, just a bunch of pictures of details I took when taking it apart!
I have found a few of those that shows the before state quite good!

IMG_0380_1.jpgIMG_0380_1.jpg IMG_0383_1.jpgIMG_0383_1.jpg IMG_0312_1.jpgIMG_0312_1.jpg IMG_0318_1.jpgIMG_0318_1.jpg

#16 11 years ago

A before and after pic of slingshot area!

IMG_0315_1.jpgIMG_0315_1.jpg IMG_0509_1.jpgIMG_0509_1.jpg

#17 11 years ago

A pic of the cabinet in the process of filling and sanding - and filling and sanding!

IMG_0341_1.jpgIMG_0341_1.jpg

#18 11 years ago

It's my first cabinet decal job, so I experimented on this Getaway cabinet first.

Fortunately both cabinets turned out great.

Actually the Getaway cabinet was in a very rough state and a lot more work than the MM cabinet.
The floor was falling out, so I had to replace that first - one of the pictures shows the process of fitting the new floor to the Getaway cabinet!

IMG_0365_1.jpgIMG_0365_1.jpg IMG_0305_1.jpgIMG_0305_1.jpg

#19 11 years ago

Looks good! Great job

#20 11 years ago

Wow, great job!!

#21 11 years ago

That is one fine looking machine-very nice job. I would love to see how the Getaway turns out.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 64.99
$ 9.95
Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 225.00
Cabinet - Other
FlyLand Designs

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Decals
Creative Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-first-ground-up-restore and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.