View topic image gallery

atlantis6.jpg
atlantis5.jpg
atlantis4.jpg
atlantis3.jpg
atlantis1.jpg
atlantis2.jpg
#1 10 years ago

So like most people I have gotten my fair share of good deals on CL. I have gotten 1 free arcade game, a Journey which was very nice, but never a pin...until yesterday. I stopped looking at CL very much nowadays since the deals seem to be few and far between...and more importantly because I have no money thanks to the new game room. So I am super lucky I even saw this, and even more lucky that I ended up with it.

Anyway, I am at work yesterday and I go out to CL once in the afternoon just for kicks to see what's new. First thing I see is "FREE PINBALL MACHINE". I look to see what at it is and when it was posted figuring it was probably bogus or a table top pin. Turns out it was a Gottleib Atlantis that doesn't fully work and it was only posted less than 10 minutes ago and the poster is less than 10 minutes from my work. It had multiple pictures and looked legit. I shoot him an e-mail with my phone number saying I am a couple minutes away and can be right over. Figure it is long gone and don't think anything of it. My phone rings about 15 minutes later and it is the guy. He says I was the first one to contact him and I can have it if I want it. I jump in the car and cruise over there thinking someone would screw me out of it the whole time I was driving. I get there and it is still there and the guy is super cool. He played it as a kid and is cleaning out his moms house and just wants it gone since it doesn't fully work. The guy and me start talking about it and he says he had tons of other e-mails about it after mine, but he didn't respond to them because I showed up like I said I would and I wanted it. Very refreshing to see someone stick to their word and I told him I appreciated it.

So I started breaking the game down, had to drill out the back lock, but the coin door was open. Thing is SUPER nice. Backglass is PERFECT. After opening the head, the original schematics were still masking taped to the head and had never even been opened. Outside of the game was dirty, but the playfield is awesome, everything there and no broken plastics and the cabinet and head aren't damaged. I popped the playfield and saw some broken wires, so it is obvious why the game doesn't work fully, but it is complete and super clean. This guy's mom had had the game for well over a dozen years and it has just sat for some time now. We pulled 8 quarters out of the cabinet and not one of them was newer than 1975. I didn't have a truck, so I called a few people to see if they would help me out and finally got a friend to come over with a pickup. I put the head in my car and my buddy brought the cab to his house. I am picking it up tonight or tomorrow. I am super stoked at this pickup. Wedgeheads aren't my thing since it was before my time (I was born in 1976), but I have another buddy who loves them and he said that this game was one of the most desired wedgeheads and super collectible. Here is the only pic I have right now, but I will take more when I get the game back together.

// Error: Image 113276 not found // atlantis2.jpgatlantis2.jpg atlantis1.jpgatlantis1.jpg atlantis3.jpgatlantis3.jpg atlantis4.jpgatlantis4.jpg atlantis5.jpgatlantis5.jpg atlantis6.jpgatlantis6.jpg

#2 10 years ago

Congrats! That backglass looks really nice.

#3 10 years ago

Great story - and an ever better deal. Congrats!!

#4 10 years ago

AWESOME!

#6 10 years ago

Whoa! Excellent!! You should add this story to the Free Pinball Stories Thread...

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tell-the-story-about-a-pinball-machine-you-got-for-free

#7 10 years ago

I tried replying to that add yesterday. I saw it from work and hit reply and typed up an email saying the price was just right and when I sent the email craigslist auto-replied saying the ad was removed. I must have been minutes too slow. Congrats on getting it.

#8 10 years ago

Very nice looking !! Congrats

I can imagine the smile on your face, when you brought this puppy home ... and even now

#10 10 years ago

Very very cool John.

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Whoa! Excellent!! You should add this story to the Free Pinball Stories Thread...
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tell-the-story-about-a-pinball-machine-you-got-for-free

Done!

#12 10 years ago

That's Great! Another pin rescued! Enjoy

#13 10 years ago

I hate you so much right now. Wow. Like seriously. If you decide to not keep it (and not sell it to your friend) let me know. I'm selling my current wedgehead to look for a better title, and this one is on my short list. =|

#14 10 years ago

Nice. .Looks good..

#16 10 years ago

Les,

Be very careful. After getting Atlantis working and playing it for a few weeks, you may just be bitten by the EM bug. And once infected, you are infected for life!

Congratulations on the excellent score!

Marcus

#17 10 years ago

Awesome score. Lucky you!

#18 10 years ago

Holy Crap that is awesome! I have been bitten by the EM bug and I would probably pass out if I got an Atlantis in that good of condition for free!

#19 10 years ago

congrats! awesome story and glad it worked out.

Buy a lotto ticket and see if the luck is still flowin through your veins.

#20 10 years ago

Great find!

#21 10 years ago

I got an Atlantis for a great price quite a few years back. Nice pin and it went to a great home when I was done with it.
Congrats on the nice pick up.

#22 10 years ago

Wonderful! have fun with a great EM!~SpOoKy

#23 10 years ago

great score, backglass looks great, anymore pictures, playfield, cab, thanks.

#24 10 years ago

Some days the stars do indeed align. You win!

#25 10 years ago

Great fun machine as it's the brother to Centigrade 37!

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

great score, backglass looks great, anymore pictures, playfield, cab, thanks.

I have to pick up the cabinet from my buddies house so I will post more pics on the 4th when I have it back at my house and in one piece.

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

So like most people I have gotten my fair share of good deals on CL. I have gotten 1 free arcade game, a Journey which was very nice, but never a pin...until yesterday. I stopped looking at CL very much nowadays since the deals seem to be few and far between...and more importantly because I have no money thanks to the new game room. So I am super lucky I even saw this, and even more lucky that I ended up with it.
Anyway, I am at work yesterday and I go out to CL once in the afternoon just for kicks to see what's new. First thing I see is "FREE PINBALL MACHINE". I look to see what at it is and when it was posted figuring it was probably bogus or a table Top Pin. Turns out it was a Gottleib Atlantis that doesn't fully work and it was only posted less than 10 minutes ago and the poster is less than 10 minutes from my work. It had multiple pictures and looked legit. I shoot him an e-mail with my phone number saying I am a couple minutes away and can be right over. Figure it is long gone and don't think anything of it. My phone rings about 15 minutes later and it is the guy. He says I was the first one to contact him and I can have it if I want it. I jump in the car and cruise over there thinking someone would screw me out of it the whole time I was driving. I get there and it is still there and the guy is super cool. He played it as a kid and is cleaning out his moms house and just wants it gone since it doesn't fully work. The guy and me start talking about it and he says he had tons of other e-mails about it after mine, but he didn't respond to them because I showed up like I said I would and I wanted it. Very refreshing to see someone stick to their word and I told him I appreciated it.
So I started breaking the game down, had to drill out the back lock, but the coin door was open. Thing is SUPER nice. Backglass is PERFECT. After opening the head, the original schematics were still masking taped to the head and had never even been opened. Outside of the game was dirty, but the playfield is awesome, everything there and no broken plastics and the cabinet and head aren't damaged. I popped the playfield and saw some broken wires, so it is obvious why the game doesn't work fully, but it is complete and super clean. This guy's mom had had the game for well over a dozen years and it has just sat for some time now. We pulled 8 quarters out of the cabinet and not one of them was newer than 1975. I didn't have a truck, so I called a few people to see if they would help me out and finally got a friend to come over with a pickup. I put the head in my car and my buddy brought the cab to his house. I am picking it up tonight or tomorrow. I am super stoked at this pickup. Wedgeheads aren't my thing since it was before my time (I was born in 1976), but I have another buddy who loves them and he said that this game was one of the most desired wedgeheads and super collectible. Here is the only pic I have right now, but I will take more when I get the game back together.

Congrats!! But this really really really sounds too good to be true.

#28 10 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Great fun machine as it's the brother to Centigrade 37!

Huh? Why brother to C37?

#29 10 years ago

Congrats!!!!

#30 10 years ago
Quoted from poppapin:

You're telling me. I try not to be pessimistic, but I was waiting for the ball to drop the whole time.

#31 10 years ago

Oh, and this isn't just any EM.

#32 10 years ago

Congrats, I had this game as a kid, one of the best EMs out there. Left outlane is a killer.

#33 10 years ago

Nice story and score, congrats

#34 10 years ago

Very Cool!!

#35 10 years ago

Wow.

Atlantis is a fun game and the 'thunk' of the drop-target bank reset is super-satisfying.

Congrats!

#36 10 years ago
Quoted from poppapin:

It does happen. I got a call from a friend one day and he said a friend of his mothers had an old machine she wanted out of the house. Just come and take it she said. I went over and it was a very nice Rolling Stones machine. I enjoyed it for a year or so and than got 1200.00 for it. I believe!!!

#37 10 years ago

Congrats!!!

#38 10 years ago

It in fact does happen... I didn't post this story but am working on a Bally PlayBoy from 1978 that I got for free from a friend of a friend's dad... long story but I got the phone call and was there about as fast as I could drive legally and whalla.... its a big project and being ripped down now but the price was just right! Perhaps not as clean as this one but worth every penny

#39 10 years ago

Added some pics to the original post. This is how I got it. Haven't started cleaning it up yet.

#40 10 years ago

WOW, Nice wedge. I have been trying to find an Atlantis for several years that was in good condition and not priced higher than a NIB stern.

#41 10 years ago

Good nik Playfield
And you got it for freeeee
If a pinball is free I'd get it no matter what the condition

#42 10 years ago

Nice!!!!

#43 10 years ago

looks great!

#44 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinballgeek:

Good nik Playfield
And you got it for freeeee
If a pinball is free I'd get it no matter what the condition

Free pinballs are still out there. Last night at a 4th of july party I ran into a friend of mine that I have been trying to get to his house for a month.He had two pinballs and a video (black hole,old chicago and a tapper video) he wanted to get rid of. Last night he told me he put them on CL and some guy drove 10 hours and he gave them to him to get them out of his basement. I will never wait that long again.

#45 10 years ago

I check out CL all the time for pins and that just happened to be the day I didn't check. Glad you got it though.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lincoln, MI
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-first-free-pinball-machine-yesterday-was-a-great-day and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.