You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

4181A42B-A9DF-4069-98EF-772D43434E7F (resized).jpeg
BA742D23-02E4-4BEA-BC23-3697F4D71DE3 (resized).jpeg
19F9BD0C-0C7A-45A9-BD67-FD7362A7EBD0 (resized).jpeg
3026481F-BD52-44AB-93E7-623BF2349414 (resized).jpeg
73A8F99C-E062-41A5-B2FE-D5F6E8916C65 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ReplayRyan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 3 years ago
Quoted from ToucanF16:

I’m pretty savvy with jukeboxes and a pinball. But my knowledge falls short when it comes to arcade games. I’m looking for a fully restored and modernize bulletproof Tron. Where do I start my look and is there anything I need to know before making the plunge into arcade games?

I would say that, much like a pinball machine, you can not "bulletproof" an older arcade game like Tron. Your best bet at modernizing and bulletproofing is via emulation, but of course no real arcade game person wants that. The nature of the beast with most of those older games is that you can address the weak links (old/failing caps, batteries, certain connectors, etc.) but given the age and design of some of them even a restored or re-worked game can pop up new issues. But some people like fixing them too, just as many like fixing pinball machines even more than playing them. Only problem is many video games don't have as much aftermarket board support for when you just want a newer/updated board compared to older pins.

That said, in my experience (couple thousand pinball machines and video games owned, combined) a video game is less likely than a similarly aged pinball machine to give you too much trouble. Until you move it of course, then all bets are off.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ReplayRyan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-first-foray-into-arcade-games?tu=ReplayRyan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.