OXO leds and rubbers 1 (resized).png
OXO leds and rubbers 2 (resized).png
Screen Shot 2017-08-06 at 11.24.54 AM (resized).png
IMG_5516 (resized).JPG
IMG_5515 (resized).JPG
IMG_5514 (resized).JPG
IMG_5511 (resized).JPG

#1 6 years ago

My first pin was a non-working Sinbad I picked up in March. I decided to do a major resto, and it's still not working. But being new to pins and pinside starts to affect you and I got tired of only restoring and not playing!

Well, a few weeks back that changed and I found a nice working Williams OXO for $350 on my local Craigslist not more than 8 miles from home. I didn't know anything about this game, but the colors and art were cool enough that my wife also thought it was neat and we should get it.

I'm thrilled. The art and colors bring a smile to my face each time I see it! I love the art. And the game play is fun (not that I have a lot of games to compare it too). Working to get three in a row and going for the extra ball can be addictive!

#2 6 years ago

The backglass is nearly perfect, only a few subtle cracks that are hard to see when lit.

The cabinet is also in good shape, although the colors seem somewhat faded and the white cabinet has picked up enough patina over the years that no amount of Kurd Kutter seems to get it to a nice clean look.

IMG_5511 (resized).JPGIMG_5511 (resized).JPG

IMG_5514 (resized).JPGIMG_5514 (resized).JPG

#3 6 years ago

The playfield does show the wear it's 95k games have taken on it.

Once Sinbad is done, I think I will retouch the playfield and the cabinet.

IMG_5515 (resized).JPGIMG_5515 (resized).JPG

IMG_5516 (resized).JPGIMG_5516 (resized).JPG

#4 6 years ago

Nice working player for $350 - cool. Enjoy ! Play and fix up as you go.

#5 6 years ago

I really like playing this game. About the only let down is the cabinet art. With such great design on the playfield and backglass, the cabinet art is really unfortunately boring and blah. I am considering a custom design that is more representative of the style of the backglass and playfield if/when I get to that point.

But for now, it's a blast!

Actually, this is my second EM, but my first EM pin. My wife and I picked up a Midway Space Gun twenty two years ago, so that's technically my first EM!

One of the reasons that I didn't balk at buying OXO is that I sort of need to learn how to feed and water Space Gun, so as long as I am starting down that learning curve, might as well take advantage of these relatively bargain priced pins with the amazing art and fun themes!

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from NoQuarters:

Nice working player for $350 - cool. Enjoy ! Play and fix up as you go.

Thanks! I thought it was a good price too! There are a few issues (the seller did tell me about them) with multiplayer scoring, but I'll address that later on!

#7 6 years ago

Pointy People too ! Nice.

Try some Simple Green and micro fiber cloths. You might be surprised how that cabinet gets cleaner.

It really doesn't look too bad.

#8 6 years ago

Love the Game Over font:

Screen Shot 2017-08-06 at 11.24.54 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2017-08-06 at 11.24.54 AM (resized).png

2 weeks later
#9 6 years ago

I'm committed to my Sinbad restoration right now, so the major playfield and rebuilding on OXO will have to wait, but in the meantime I replaced the LEDs, Rubbers and Posts. The colors on OXO are just too cool, but I felt the red posts and standard white rubbers where a bit too muted for the machine.

I replaced the red posts with 'fluorescent green' posts, the rubbers with glow in the dark silicone rubber, and the incandescent bulbs with various pink, teal and a few 'black light' LEDs.

OXO leds and rubbers 1 (resized).pngOXO leds and rubbers 1 (resized).png

#10 6 years ago

The white lane guides had faded with age to a dingy yellow, so new white lane guides combined with teal led's and the fluorescent posts really gave the upper playfield a lot of color!

OXO leds and rubbers 2 (resized).pngOXO leds and rubbers 2 (resized).png

#11 6 years ago

I also put a coat of Triple Thick on the backglass -which is probably and 8 or maybe a 9, so pretty happy about that. Of course a few colored LED's in the right spots as well. I have a lot more peace of mind knowing that the little 44/47 'heaters' are no longer baking the back side of this artwork!

OXO leds and rubbers 3 (resized).pngOXO leds and rubbers 3 (resized).png

#12 6 years ago

A good find for the money. The cabinet looks like it was in the direct sun to fade like that. The leds make it look better. I know some like them others don't but go with what you like. I be watching for that restore and hope everything goes good.

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from Grayman_EM:

A good find for the money. The cabinet looks like it was in the direct sun to fade like that. The leds make it look better. I know some like them others don't but go with what you like. I be watching for that restore and hope everything goes good.

Thanks! It's a fun game, and I like the art.

LEDs seem like a pretty harmless "mod" so I can always go back if I want.

My history involves collecting comic books and vintage toys, so I totally understand the resistance to modifications! "Restoring" a comic book used to mean you just wiped out all its value!

You know I haven't looked at other cabinets that closely, but i agree, mine is REALLY faded!
That will look better restored (first I need to fix that playfield! Ugh!)

OXO leds and rubbers 2 (resized).pngOXO leds and rubbers 2 (resized).png

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from quinntopia:

My history involves collecting comic books and vintage toys, so I totally understand the resistance to modifications! "Restoring" a comic book used to mean you just wiped out all its value!
You know I haven't looked at other cabinets that closely, but i agree, mine is REALLY faded!
That will look better restored (first I need to fix that playfield! Ugh!)

We have more in common than you know. I used to collect and sell comicbooks. At one point 10,000 but that was years ago. Restoration properly done is ok. I had a Whiz #25 (first appearance of Captain Marvel Jr) that I bought for $30.00 back in the late 80's. I sold a few years ago for $400.00. It was worth more but it wasn't a high grade and it was restored which the buyer said they had done a good job on.

I think more people here have collected comicbooks or still are. Just wish I would have bought pins back then.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
Gameroom - Decorations
Pin Art
Decorations
$ 25.00
Various Other Swag
JK Pinball
Various other swag
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 55.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Boards
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-first-em-williams-oxo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.