• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

100_7698.jpg
100_7691.jpg
#1 9 years ago

I bought my first EM 4 days ago and powered it up for the first time 2 days ago (yeah, never plugged it in when I bought it).
I think I have it figured out but wanted some knowledgeable input before I tear into it.
Symptoms: when a Special is scored 2 coils lock on in the lower cabinet and will not turn off until power cord is pulled. They are the credit knocker and the lock relay. The larger lower coil on the replay unit in the head does get activated which I think is correct.
100_7691.jpg100_7691.jpg

This is where the problem is. the smaller coil on the replay unit should then be activated to release the arm connected to the larger coil which it does not do. If I manually move the plunger it will release the lever and the 2 coils in lower cabinet turn off. The plunger on this small coil moves very tightly (feels like there is a spring inside of the coil sleeve or it is just too tight). The number reel shows 2 and that has never changed, does not seem to move at all. My conclusion is that one or more parts on this replay unit are gummed up so they will not move freely. Which are the plunger on small coil, the part above and a little left of this coil, the wheel itself possibly.

One other item that is not electrical. The metal L stop brackets at the top of the head prevent the glass from falling out. I assume some sort of rubber bumper cushion should be on these to prevent glass to metal contact. I am guessing that a rubber bumper the same as on the bottom of the credit knocker is correct since the wood insert panel also uses these brackets as a stop when closed. Would like to know what was originally used.

Thanks for your time.
Ed

#2 9 years ago

Well, the lock coil should always be on when your game is in play so don't worry about that one.

It's sounds like your on the right track for your second issue. You win a special and the credit unit is too gummed up to advance completely so it probably hangs up holding that switch near the replay label closed giving constant power to your knocker coil.

Your replay unit looks pretty clean overall but you can see the old hardened lube at the pivot points. Essentially you need to disassemble and clean all the old gummed up grease from the moving parts in this stepper unit. When I bring an Em game home one of the first things I do is clean the steppers. This alone often corrects a majority of issues. Reviewing the Stepper Unit section on Pinrepair.com may help. http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index2.htm#steps

#3 9 years ago

If it feels gummy when there is no electricity on the coil, you are probably correct in it needing a rebuild.

Other things to consider:
1. 99% of machines this age need the steppers rebuilt.
2. There is no burn on the coil wrappers, so it it probably mechanical, rather than electrical.

If you really want to figure it out, get the special, then put a voltmeter across the leads of the coils in question. Then - no more speculation!!

#4 9 years ago

Thanks guys, put a little oil on these parts and got them to move somewhat, the reel is still very tight. Need to get some Teflon grease to do it right (not going to use axle grease) since most likely I am going to go through all the mechanical parts to do a thorough cleaning/lubing needed after 50 years of use.

Ed

#5 9 years ago

Congrats Ed on your EM purchase. Were almost neighbors. What pin did you get? I jut recently got into owning my 1st game. I think an EM will be my next purchase.

Jack

#6 9 years ago

Jack,

Williams Heat Wave

#7 9 years ago

Ed, the stepper units will have old grease. These will need cleaning. Only lube metal to metal parts. Don't use lubes like WD40 as this stuff dries out and is the cause of most stepper unit issues.

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from Chrisbee:

Don't use lubes like WD40 as this stuff dries out and is the cause of most stepper unit issues.

and also uncontrollable fires

--Jeff

#9 9 years ago

Just finished putting it back in. Got it all back together without referencing a picture. More fun like a puzzle this way. the large shaft was so stuck that I had to repeatedly pound on the shaft end (Yes there is a proper safe method to do this) with a 16 oz. hammer, even with a soaking of PB Blaster, Supposedly this machine was brought to a shop in St. Joe a couple of years ago to be gone through.

Ed

#10 9 years ago

Just reviewed the pictures I took before disassembly and one thing does not look right. I put it back together as it was. Just played a game and it is working, at least counts down when start button pushed. See this picture.
100_7698.jpg100_7698.jpg

at the lower right there is a small spring attached to the lever. It does nothing the way it is but if it were attached to the tab on the left it would put slight pressure on the larger lever tab that is actuated by the large coil. Seems correct to me to change it, also there is an almost identical unit for the thermometer animation which has this spring attached where I think it should be (tab on the left). The small lever was as froze up as the large main shaft and needed a hammer to remove it.

#11 9 years ago

Jeff, can you link that pinball manual for this op. I'm away and using my phone , not so easy to do links.
Sixpakmopa, once the link is in, you will have how the springs should be.

#12 9 years ago

link to parts manual... replay unit is on page 4... looks like the op has the spring in the correct place to me...

http://www.planetarypinball.com/reference/partsmanuals/WMS_Parts_1966/files/mobile/index.html#1

the thermometer is likely a 50 step resetting unit (see page 2), and would indeed have the spring the "other way"...

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from ccotenj:

link to parts manual... replay unit is on page 4... looks like the op has the spring in the correct place to me...
http://www.planetarypinball.com/reference/partsmanuals/WMS_Parts_1966/files/mobile/index.html#1
the thermometer is likely a 50 step resetting unit (see page 2), and would indeed have the spring the "other way"...

That's the one, thanks

#14 9 years ago

Thanks for that link. Looks like the spring is installed as pictured, seems wrong but if it works I will run with it.
I did not even think to look for a parts manual because I have bought them for early solid state machines and they really do not show much detail so I figured it would be the same for this. Learned something today

#15 9 years ago

^^^

yup, parts manuals for em's are your friend... they almost always show either complete assemblies or (even better) exploded views...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-first-em-tech-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.