20181215_143105 (resized).jpg
Start up (resized).jpg
20181202_092503 (resized).jpg
20181201_223934 (resized).jpg
b3db985aa54a0b8b16dae06c767d9033d060cfcc (resized).png
Tools (resized).jpg
Pinball (resized).png
IMG_2351 (resized).JPG
There are 115 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
#101 5 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

my main goal is to replace V with an original relay.

I stopped at the local USPS and I only need to fill out a form to get a package
out to you. I'll get it packaged and see about shipping it out tomorrow, so you're
all set with the "V".. (T)

#102 5 years ago
Quoted from Mopar:

I stopped at the local USPS and I only need to fill out a form to get a package
out to you. I'll get it packaged and see about shipping it out tomorrow, so you're
all set with the "V".. (T)

Awesome! Thanks @mopar! Please send it as a gift or I'll have to pay taxes on a 40 year old used part! I love the government!

#103 5 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

Please send it as a gift

I actually just came back from the P.O. sending it out.
I didn't know what to mark on the form, but gift looked
best, so I (luckily) checked gift..
There's a couple extra top switches in the stack that
could be taken off, but the lower two sets would work
perfectly fine just the way it sits..
I have many machines set up, and Surfer is the one that
I've recently been playing. Very nice player.. (T)

#104 5 years ago

Here's a shot of V. The screws are 3/4" and 7/8", looks like either length will do.

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg
#105 5 years ago
Quoted from Mopar:

I actually just came back from the P.O. sending it out.
I didn't know what to mark on the form, but gift looked
best, so I (luckily) checked gift..
There's a couple extra top switches in the stack that
could be taken off, but the lower two sets would work
perfectly fine just the way it sits..
I have many machines set up, and Surfer is the one that
I've recently been playing. Very nice player.. (T)

Quoted from Pinbee:

Here's a shot of V. The screws are 3/4" and 7/8", looks like either length will do.
[quoted image]

Thank you both!

Pinbee that you for the nice close-up of V. Now please stop posting photos of your impeccably clean machine!

1 week later
#106 5 years ago

Mopar I received your gift package today! I am super excited to get this installed! It will be sooooo nice to have the proper switches in place so that I can figure out what the hell is going on with this pin. Thank you very much!

I'm hoping to get this soldering in tomorrow night!

1 month later
#107 5 years ago

I let this thread go cold. I am sorry for that. Life gets in the way.

I finally had some time today to work on this pin. I even played my first game (sort of) today.

I have been fiddling with the Ax relay. It really is a 'feel' thing, and its finicky as all hell. Probably one of the finickiest things I've ever worked with. I finally managed to dial it in, and I was able to see the game start. Press the start button, Ax energized, score reels reset, Ax de-energized, Ball kicked into the shooter lane!

So I decided to install my new V relay. I really do believe the old one was causing me grief. After the install I tried the REPLAY BUTTON and nothing. @pinbee I used your photo of V to re-wire my V. I had the same colour wires as you with the exception of your red-black wire. I have a different colour there. Is the photo of your V from a Surfer/Surf Champ? I'm wondering if I wired it wrong

Could someone take a photo of their V relay wiring with emphasis on the wiring and colours of the wire.

Thank you! Photo updates incoming!!!

#108 5 years ago

According to the Surfer schematic, the Replay Button (V) relay has 2 sets of normally open contacts. The one at 17E has an Orange&White wire on one side and a Blue&White wire on the other side.

#109 5 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

According to the Surfer schematic, the Replay Button (V) relay has 2 sets of normally open contacts. The one at 17E has an Orange&White wire on one side and a Blue&White wire on the other side.

Yes that is correct. You can see them in peebee's photo. On the other switch, I have a different colour red wire. I have the green-black, but my red is different than the one shown in the photo.

HowardR it looks like I'm going to be using your post #31 and checking out this section of the schematic again.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-first-em-surfer-newb-needs-help#post-4694718

#110 5 years ago

Here's a couple of photos. Here are the old encased relays now removed from the game;
20190217_101247 (resized).jpg20190217_101247 (resized).jpg

Here is the new-ish V relay installed! It is working flawlessly!
20190217_101333 (resized).jpg20190217_101333 (resized).jpg

Today I managed to play a game. In fact, I managed to play my first 2 player game with my son on this pin! I was able to start a game, add a second player, play all 5 balls for both players and the game ended. Score reels were turning, pop bumpers were popping!

I would like to take this moment to say thank you to everyone that has helped me get this pin running. It is still a mess, but things are working and are stable! There are still things to work on, and I will have many more EM newbie questions. THANK YOU!

The thing I would like to work on next is the chimes. When I started the two player game, the chimes were there at the start. As we played I noticed the chimes stopped chiming. I can't have an EM game without chimes so I have to get them working!

3 weeks later
#111 5 years ago

HowardR Pinbee Mopar pinhead52

This game is working now. It is fully playable. Scoring works with only one exception, 3X. 2X works perfectly, but I do not understand how 3X is activated. I have read that it will only enable on ball 5, but I still can't get it to come on. Using the schematics, I see that 2X and 3X is controlled by 8B, 9B, and 10B. It also looks like 2X goes out when 3X is lit.

Under the playfield I can see the SL+GR wire. It is not getting 6V. I traced it back to the switch at 8B. I see 6V coming in on the switch, but the switch is open so 3X is not lit. With the game on, using a wooden chopstick, if I manually trigger the make-break switch 3X lights up. 2X goes out. Seems logical. It proves my path from the switch to the 3X bulb is good. My problem is the switch on 8B. 8B is in the large relay bank under the playfield and I'm not sure how it works. The switch obviously works, but the arm is not in the correct position to make contact on the make-break.

Is there a way to manually move the arms? By arms, I mean the black arm that moves and triggers the switches. Ugh... Terrible description there. Here is a picture. How does this arm activate?

Oh, and am I correct is saying that 3X only comes on for ball 5? If so, do you just need to activate the 5 red star rollovers and then one of the 'increase bonus multiplier when lit" rollovers to activate it?

20190310_154926 (resized).jpg20190310_154926 (resized).jpg

#112 5 years ago

So it didn't take long to discover why my 3X wasn't activating;

20190316_130342 (resized).jpg20190316_130342 (resized).jpg

Crispy!

I will have to order a new coil for 10B. Off to the schematics to see what type of coil this was in a previous life.

7 months later
#113 4 years ago

This is a super old thread, but I didn't see the need to start another one.

When we last left our hero, 10B was fried. Since then, 10B has been replaced and my 3X is now working! Unfortunately, some other gremlins seem to be coming up. The game still starts and resets without any difficulties. However, the ball never kicks over into the shooter lane. I did some searching on the internet and found this section from xmission;

"8. Place the ball in the out hole. The ball return switch closes and completes the circuit to 'O' relay through the normally closed switches on zero position 'Bonus' unit, motor 1C, motor 2B, 'Q', and 'AX' relays. 'O' relay locks-in. Through switches on motor 4C, motor 1A, 'BX' and 'O' the ball return coil actuates kicking the ball onto the runway."

This is where I am having issues. If I manually activate 'O' the ball return coil does not actuate and does not kick the ball onto the runway. I am looking at 'O' on the schematics but this is a very complicated area. It crosses over to P coil, I, G, K, V, etc.

How do I narrow the section down?

#114 4 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

This is a super old thread, but I didn't see the need to start another one.

A new thread is a good idea so people who could help can find out what your current problem is by looking at the top instead of searching through 100+ posts.
Make it easy for us to help you!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Hoover, AL
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 115 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-first-em-surfer-newb-needs-help/page/3?hl=pschwisow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.