Topic Stats

• 42 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by hoov
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 11 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Quick Draw.jpg
image-4.jpg
1405530583879.jpg
1405530566624.jpg
1405529531506.jpg
1405530590738.jpg
1405530577392.jpg
1405520460417.jpg
1405520473002.jpg
1405520444846.jpg
1405520453840.jpg

#1 5 years ago

I picked this up as a semi-project with my dad. I guess you could say that it's not much to look at but I am having a blast so far. Backglass is rough, the cab has wear, some playfield issues, but everything works and I had a blast playing it today! I beat the score written in sharpie on the head, lol. 249,120

1405520453840.jpg
1405520444846.jpg
1405520473002.jpg
1405520460417.jpg
1405530577392.jpg

#2 5 years ago

Here are some post Krud Kutter pics. I just sprayed in on and wiped it off. I will go at it with a little more elbow grease tomorrow. Man, the brown crap just ran off.
1405530590738.jpg1405529531506.jpg1405530566624.jpg1405530583879.jpg

I think that I haven't truly seen pinball addiction yet...

#3 5 years ago

Give it a minute...it'll set in!

#4 5 years ago

Buying one EM usually starts a chain of events in 95% of the cases documented that will lead you to EM addiction shortly with no known cure...........CONGRATULATIONS! You're one of us!

Now go out and celebrate by buying another EM! (mad/evil/insane laughing)

Ken

#5 5 years ago

I love my Quick Draw. Unfortunately, I usually play a "Quick Game" cause the game continually punishes me. It keeps me coming back for more and more...... Gotta say, your playfield looks better than mine. I've got wear at the kick out hole landing sites that's down to bare wood. Sooner or later I'll get around to trying to figure out a way to refurb those areas of the playfield, but right now the machine works great so I'm a playing it!!!

#6 5 years ago

I'm playing my SS games at home right now: Metallica, WW, and LOTR. QD is no less fun. I love the chimes, art, gameplay, etc.. There is an unexplainable charm with EMs.

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from boneman91:

Gotta say, your playfield looks better than mine. I've got wear at the kick out hole landing sites that's down to bare wood.

Mine has wear above the kickouts also. Crappy cell phone pics...

#8 5 years ago

Is it just me, or are we seeing more of these "Just Got My First EM" threads?

I joined the club last week Hougie. Good to see another new member!

#9 5 years ago

Congrats on your first em and Quick Draw is one of the better games to get. Looks like someone did a little repair below the coin door. I see they installed a center post below the flippers. That could be removed and touched up if you choose since it's painted there.

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from hoov:

Congrats on your first em and Quick Draw is one of the better games to get. Looks like someone did a little repair below the coin door. I see they installed a center post below the flippers. That could be removed and touched up if you choose since it's painted there.

I will eventually remove the post and probably paint the front..or should I leave the front alone?
I wish I had the extra cash for your Big Hit also. It looks nice.

#11 5 years ago

Congrats, on the Quick Draw. Looks nice and clean.

Thats one i played a lot when i was a kid visiting my grandfathers store,down one flight of stairs and right over to the pinball machines all day long. Hope to get reacquainted with Quick Draw sometime down the road.

#12 5 years ago

um, you drove all the way here to pick it up? Coulda said hi!

Congrats on getting your Western-themed, drop target game finally.

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from Hougie:

I will eventually remove the post and probably paint the front..or should I leave the front alone?
I wish I had the extra cash for your Big Hit also. It looks nice.

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from hoov:

Thanks. I have two Big Hits for sale and one is tentatively sold to a Texan who went to TPF this year and is totally hooked on em's and the other (yellow pf) is tentatively sold to a CL looker - waiting to hear back from her.

I personally would repair any wood damage/previous repair on the front panel and touch up the paint/re-paint to match the rest of the cabinet. The key is matching your paint so it doesn't stand out from the rest of the cabinet.

Good luck!

#15 5 years ago

I'm assuming I would have to repaint the whole front section. I'm completely missing the artwork on the bottom so I guess I will need to get or make a stencil somehow. I'm mostly concerned with matching repaint colors to the original. Does anybody have any great tips?

#16 5 years ago

When I try to color match, I experiment behind the legs on the cabinet corners. I hand paint with cheap craft paints, you can do better with Createx and an airbrush. (see Vids guides) Pantone color match swatches are helpful but hard to find for cheap. Women generally have better color matching so that might be helpful too.

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from Hougie:

I'm assuming I would have to repaint the whole front section. I'm completely missing the artwork on the bottom so I guess I will need to get or make a stencil somehow. I'm mostly concerned with matching repaint colors to the original. Does anybody have any great tips?

Do you have any artists in your family or friends?

You can also go to a local college and ask if you could pay a student to help you (cheap labor)

#18 5 years ago

UofL and IU Southeast are really close by. I may make a few phone calls.

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from stashyboy:

Women generally have better color matching so that might be helpful too.

Yea, it helps when your wife is an artist, like mine.

Ken

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

stashyboy said:

Yea, it helps when your wife is an artist, like mine.

when are yall getting here again

--Jeff

#21 5 years ago

Learn how to read and use a color wheel.

Once you do that, your ability to match colors perfectly will increase in accuracy and speed exponentially.

Best of luck with your painting and congrats on getting your first EM, it's a player!

#22 5 years ago

Feel free to contact me with any questions about colormatching as well.

#23 5 years ago

All collectors should have at least one EM.

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from stashyboy:

If you don't believe this...just go to the cosmetic section of the store and stand in front of the nail polish display. Everyone of the rows and columns are a different color...or so they say!

#25 5 years ago
Quoted from Caucasian2Step:

Learn how to read and use a color wheel.
Once you do that, your ability to match colors perfectly will increase in accuracy and speed exponentially.
Best of luck with your painting and congrats on getting your first EM, it's a player!

Do you have any color wheel suggestions?

#26 5 years ago
Quoted from ek77:

All collectors should have at least one EM.

I just joined the club with a very nice 1976 Bally Old Chicago!
Just to stay correct, this is a photo from IPDB that I grabbed real quick. But yes, mine is just as nice I think!

image-4.jpg

#27 5 years ago
Quoted from Leeb18509:

I just joined the club with a very nice 1976 Bally Old Chicago!

Congrats and welcome to the EM club!

Been a long time since I played an Old Chicago, maybe 1978?

Fun game and great artwork. Yours looks nice.

Ken

#28 5 years ago
Quoted from Hougie:

Do you have any color wheel suggestions?

I think I bought the pantone color set off ebay for around $65 or so. That was the cheapest I could find it. It was the one that is like old spark plug feeler gauges. You get two strip sets. One gloss and one flat. As was stated, they are designed for printers, not painters, but they are more mobile than the side of the game.

The problem is, they have NO whites in the set. For that, you just have to get a bunch of paint cards at the local Hardware store (lowes, Home Depot etc.) to cover an array of off whites.

I prefer Rattle can (spray paint) to mixed latex colors and there are no real matches that I have found to the aged yellowed cabinet paint. The closest I found was Heirloom White which is also a Satin finish so you don't get that super glossy look. It won't blend with color on the same side but it is a close enough match if you do the entire surface and stop at the corners (like doing your front door area). All the other Ivory type colors seem too "tan" to my eyes - too much brown. For touch up using good Old Testers Model Paint (Oil Base Enamel), it is mostly white, a tiny touch of black, and a small touch of yellow to make a good match for small area touch ups.

#29 5 years ago

Oh, and I haven't looked into it but was told there ARE smart phone apps to use your camera to color match. Not sure if they are a purchase or free from the paint companies. Has anyone used this yet?

#30 5 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

Oh, and I haven't looked into it but was told there ARE smart phone apps to use your camera to color match. Not sure if they are a purchase or free from the paint companies. Has anyone used this yet?

Thanks for the tips. I tried one of these apps, I think it was Behr, and it wasn't consistent. We had recently painted a couple of rooms in the house and I knew the color. When using the app it might give me the correct color one out of five times. Definitely not as effective as paint strips from the hardware store.

#31 5 years ago

Here are 2 blog entries I did on color matching:

http://reelsonfire.blogspot.com/2010/10/color-matching-with-magic-palette.html
http://reelsonfire.blogspot.com/2010/10/color-mixing-results.html

Ugh, I still haven't finished the 2 EMs I started touching up in 2010?? I suck!

3 months later
#32 4 years ago

My wife and I were at my parents place yesterday and she finally tried out QD. She was nothing but smiles. Her first words were "I think we could make room for this at our place." I have a keeper, folks!

#33 4 years ago
Quoted from Hougie:

My wife and I were at my parents place yesterday and she finally tried out QD. She was nothing but smiles. Her first words were "I think we could make room for this at our place." I have a keeper, folks!

That says a lot where this appears to be your first foray into EM ownership.

You do have a keeper there.

#34 4 years ago

Mike,
This was a surprise to me. We have played other EM and SS games she didn't care for the gameplay at all! She told me that she loved everything about QD. Maybe I can slip in an El Dorado and a Sheriff too!

#35 4 years ago

Hoagie,

Good luck with the game acquisitions.

With EMs you get that "I really enjoyed that title and have experienced most of what it has to offer" effect which turns into "I'd like to experience that again with another title." It's all downhill from there.

#36 4 years ago

Hoagie -

Awesome game - my favorite multi-player. If you are planning on keeping the game, Shay recently did a run of QD back glasses. My old glass was pretty shot so I picked one up and it looks great -

Quick Draw.jpg

#37 4 years ago

Just wondering if any one has ever repainted their QD or FD in the same colors as El dorado?

ED's colors seem more "Western" and realistic than QD...Maybe Gottlieb was thinking of the upcoming

Bicentennial and so went with red,white and blue like "Spirit of 76...

#38 4 years ago
Quoted from Mercury:

Just wondering if any one has ever repainted their QD or FD in the same colors as El dorado?
ED's colors seem more "Western" and realistic than QD...Maybe Gottlieb was thinking of the upcoming

There are lots of blues and reds on both backglass and playfield, so I think the cabinet color choice works......IMO

#39 4 years ago
Quoted from Mercury:

I would hope no-one ever re-paints their QD/FD to ED colors just for the sake of originality. Sorry, but to me that would be butt-ugly with an ED cabinet and QD/FD pf. I think you would be better off buying an ED.

#40 4 years ago
Quoted from hoov:

I would hope no-one ever re-paints their QD/FD to ED colors just for the sake of originality. Sorry, but to me that would be butt-ugly with an ED cabinet and QD/FD pf. I think you would be better off buying an ED.

To me hoov is so right. With respect there just does not seem any logic to the change either from an originality, theme or aesthetic perspective.

#41 4 years ago

Good points...I would only change the colors of QD to ED's colors.....Not use the ED artwork..

#42 4 years ago

I'm just like original so I wouldn't change the colors but JMO..........

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 20.00
$ 199.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Docquest Pinball Mods
$ 7,499.00
Pinball Machine
Star Wars Premium Out of stock
Operation Pinball
$ 39.95
Playfield - Protection
Little Shop Of Games
$ 154.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Id Rather Play Pinball
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 30.00
Pinball Machine
Habos Arcade
$ 209.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 89.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CzTV Mods
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 249.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Tilttopper
$ 18.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside