• Latest reply 7 years ago by Moto_bone
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2017-03-18 12.36.45 (resized).jpg
2017-03-18 12.36.52 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider shimoda.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

So I recently had a friend ask me to do a full shop on his Gottlieb Funland. At the same time, I just picked up a FACES. Both of these games are likely entrants in the Pinvasion Classics tournament to be held at Southern Fried Gameroom Expo in June in Atlanta but FACES has a nasty rule that doesn't make it the best for tourneys. When you get Faces lit you can score extra balls. It got me to thinking I'd like to add in a mod that at the least allowed me to switch out the EB for tourney situations. Looking at the schematics it's a simple cut the EB relay power and switch it. But it got me to thinking I'd actually like to mod the game to advance bonus and score 10,000 extra points when the EB is lit, that way collecting faces still has value to the player. I haven't gotten to this mod just yet as it will require rerouting a few things on the EB relay to a multipole switch stack but the Funland had a different request.

My friend with the Funland wanted it to score 500 points (like the spinner at max) whenever a special was scored. Frankly, I wish many of these games gave points instead of specials as in home use or tourneys, specials are worthless and once you say, complete the sequence in a game like Atlantis, the special is worthless, at least it could score points right?

So the 500 point thing is a no go as it requires a disc unit to be at the right place and several other switches to be just so. However, upticking the 1000 point drum is easy, so I wired in a simple switch, labeled it and voila. Can be shut off so game scores only special or special plus 1000 points. If the number to score a special is 5 or 6 you can actually get 2000 points if you get the shot just up and into rollover and it then rolls back down! Makes the game even better than it was before because the special really rewards.

This is something cool about EMs. Mods like this are relatively simple or at least doable whereas such a mod on a SS game would require knowing serious programming skills and special equipment in most cases. If anyone would like specs on this mod I can provide:

2017-03-18 12.36.45 (resized).jpg2017-03-18 12.36.45 (resized).jpg2017-03-18 12.36.52 (resized).jpg2017-03-18 12.36.52 (resized).jpg

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from Dr_of_Style:

Hi Shimoda.
Nice mod.
I have also wondered what could be done to improve game awards.
I would like to see the diagram of your mod.
Thanks.

The #11 relay - 1 to 10 sequence switches to add the replay. It is the top leaf in the switch stack for the 15 pos switch on the replay wheel. Connect that to the top leaf of the 1000 point relay. I added a switch in between and routed the wires the long way so they would not interfere with anything and could be properly cabled. In the schematic, as I recall, the #11 relay sw that closes when the special is scored is or-gr. It's easy because it's so close to the 1000 pt relay in this case. Even wiring around the drum relays it was about 4 feet of wire and one toggle sw.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider shimoda.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-first-em-mod?tu=shimoda and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.