Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by DocRotCod
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

This is my first Data East Machine. It is a Stars Wars which I picked up for 850. It needed like 15 things done to it though the cosmetics were great. It is working now but not sure about several things:

1) No prop rod? It has some kind of rubber spring that is connected at the bottom of the cabinet only. Can't figure that out. The playfield also rubs the wire conduit when I raise the playfield so I need to pull out the playfield then push it back to raise it? I've since added a prod rod to at least work on it.

2) The DMD during the game play seems to 'forget' to go back to the score every once in a while. Game continues fine and DMD catches up when you hit a target that requires the DMD to show something other than the score. I have all updated ROMs so is this just normal behavior?

3) The two yellow center targets send the ball off into space. It happened with the two original and the two I replaced them with. I needed to re-engineer them to stop that from happening. Is this normal?

4) What does the shifter do. The switch on it is working just don't know when to use it?

5) The game has very unpleasant sounds when there is some kind of thrust noise needed. Is there anyway to turn that off?

Thanks!

Mike V.

#2 9 years ago

I recommend you join the club!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-star-wars-clubmembers-fans-welcome

I can comment on a few of your questions

1. No prop rod. I have the same too short rubber strap. No idea what it would attach to either. Might have been some kind of hook at the back of the playfield that went away with use?

2. I don't think mine does that but I'll watch it more closely now.

3. I don't have a problem with my center targets (drop targets?). Probably should clean and adjust before reengineering anything.

4. Shifter moves up and down but other than that I have no idea what it does.

5. Sounds like a bad sound cable or board? Zitt here on Pinside sells new replacement ribbon cables. Pinsound.org makes an awesome sound card replacement.

Hope this helps

#3 9 years ago

Thanks for the reply! That does help a lot. The targets in question are the two yellow stand up ones. I edited the post to clarify. If they took a direct shot the ball would fly up and go into the shooter lane or one the ramp or on a plastic. I bent the metal brace pieces and the targets forward on both so they are not used as a ramp.

I'll check out that club ..

Mike V.

#4 9 years ago
Quoted from RacingPin:

4) What does the shifter do. The switch on it is working just don't know when to use it?

When you hear "Death Star approaching" you can shift down (or maybe up) and press the button and it will lower the Death Star target for a chance at multiball. However, it's on a short timer so if you fail, you lose all the moons and have to start over. Usually it's better just to wait until the target opens on its own after getting all the moons so there's no timer. But if you're on ball 3 and in a tourney, well, risk/reward.

#5 9 years ago

Make sure there is adequate foam behind the targets. It usually disintegrates over the years. Most of the major suppliers sell it in rolls.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 17.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

€ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-first-data-east-machine-stars-wars-several-questions and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.