barcade4.jpg
SANY0043.JPG
barcade2.jpg
barcade.jpg
SANY0004.JPG
150627_4619739250591_1041525675_n.jpg
SANY0010.JPG
SANY0006.JPG

There are 77 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 11 years ago

Not what you expected, I suppose. I just finished pouring the epoxy topcoat for my barcade. It's shiny!

SANY0013.JPGSANY0013.JPG SANY0011.JPGSANY0011.JPG

#2 11 years ago

Very, very cool! What's the game on the far end there? Great idea, nice job!

#3 11 years ago

Niiiiiiiiiiiice!
Great idea!

#4 11 years ago

That is awesome!

#5 11 years ago

Looks great!

#6 11 years ago

Very, very cool! What's the game on the far end there? Great idea, nice job!

SANY0004_(2).JPGSANY0004_(2).JPG

#7 11 years ago

Here's a video.

#8 11 years ago

Whats running the lights?

#9 11 years ago

They are just some cheap Christmas lights from Kmart.

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from GoneFishinLvMsg:

hey are just some cheap Christmas lights from Kmart.

Wow, works out pretty well, and cheap!

#11 11 years ago

That looks really nice, good job.

#12 11 years ago
Quoted from DrStarkweather:

Wow, works out pretty well, and cheap!

About the only thing that was cheap!

#13 11 years ago

Looks fantastic so far!!!!

#14 11 years ago

Here's a video.
» YouTube video

Get the F outta here....

That is by far the coolest thing i have seen in years...

AWESOME !

#15 11 years ago

What did you use to fill the holes and Voids in the PF... ?

#16 11 years ago

Very cool and awesome idea. Looks great.

#17 11 years ago

Really cool idea and looks great!

#19 11 years ago

Awesome!

How cool are those lights?!

#20 11 years ago
Quoted from Gerry:

What did you use to fill the holes and Voids in the PF... ?

Envirotex. The same stuff I used to cover it. It was a royal pain in the arse because you can't fill more than an 1/8" at a time, so it took me a week of just filling all the holes. Plus I found lots of leaks where it dripped onto the rest of the bar underneath or my garage floor. Also, despite my best efforts I was still not able to get all the bubbles out, resulting in the whitish appearance for all the playfield voids that hides the expensive and nicely stained oak plywood below.

Still looks ok though, I think.

#21 11 years ago

Yes it sure does, what a nice job....

That is a great idea, and just would make any gameroom look killer....

WOW, very cool.....

#22 11 years ago

Thanks dude! I just can't wait to start pouring beers with it. The keg box/cooler was a whole nother engineering project in itself!

#23 11 years ago

Very Cool

#24 11 years ago

I think I wanna cry.. Are you seriously going to put beers on top of that earthshaker playfied?

#25 11 years ago

Coolest bar surface ever!

#26 11 years ago

Holy crap that's nice!

#27 11 years ago

Very nice!

#28 11 years ago

Wows! This is killer! Even my wife is impressed. Nice job, GoneFishinLvMsg!

*thread favorited*
Ryan Claytor
Elephant Eater Comics
www.ElephantEater.com

#29 11 years ago

wow thats a great idea. congrats very well done!

#30 11 years ago

Very nice!

#31 11 years ago

That is awesome! If the rest of your room turns out 1/2 as good as that it will be spectacular!

#32 11 years ago

Not what you expected, I suppose. I just finished pouring the epoxy topcoat for my barcade. It's shiny!

Man! I have been thinking about doing this for some time now, but time money and space have limited my options. You have made an awesome bar! Well done!

#33 11 years ago

Best bar top ever.

#34 11 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

I think I wanna cry.. Are you seriously going to put beers on top of that earthshaker playfied?

It will be fine, he coated it with Envirotex, besides that not every playfield can be touched up and put into a restored game.

#35 11 years ago

I've always wanted to make some furniture out of old pfs. This is great!

#36 11 years ago

toyotaboy said

Maybe he has got a big mylar sheet for it.

Santas-Hat-icon.pngSantas-Hat-icon.png

#37 11 years ago

It's ok. I have another one!

SANY0084.JPGSANY0084.JPG

#38 11 years ago

Thanks dude! I just can't wait to start pouring beers with it. The keg box/cooler was a whole nother engineering project in itself!

The keg box can hold 2 half barrels or a half and two slim quarters. Right now it just keeps my bottled beer cold until I get the rest of the bar done. A compact freezer keeps it a nice chilly 32 degrees.

SANY0003_(3).JPGSANY0003_(3).JPG SANY0004_(3).JPGSANY0004_(3).JPG

#40 11 years ago

Very cool! That bartop resin is very scary to work with. If you screw it up you're SOL. I found the trick to get rid of the air bubbles is a hot air gun. Very hot, very low blower setting. They bubble right out when hit with the hot air.

#41 11 years ago

From my model railroading days the trick is carbon dioxide to relieve the surface tension and allowing bublles to float up and out. Best was a propane torch waved over the clear. The heat doesn't do it, the CO2 does.

#42 11 years ago
Quoted from Cliffy:

From my model railroading days the trick is carbon dioxide to relieve the surface tension and allowing bublles to float up and out. Best was a propane torch waved over the clear. The heat doesn't do it, the CO2 does.

This is what I used. I found that the heat from the torch helped smooth it out too and eliminate the ripples. Gotta be careful so you don't burn it though. There are some imperfections, but they are hard to see unless you are really looking. I'm sure in low light conditions where the bar will eventually be it'll be even harder. I'm pleased with it.

#43 11 years ago

I'm pleased with it.

Dude... no kidding, that's awesome. Super nice work

#44 11 years ago

Awesome! Very unique. Makes quite the conversation I bet amongst family and friends whether or not they're pinheads.

#45 11 years ago

I have a novel idea why not combine an old soda can dispensing machine/hybrid that dispenses beer cans out the coin door when a high score is met instead of the usual extra game credit.

That would be a frustration for people if they had to earn their Beer that way.
When you have friends over who drink too much and clean you out it will kinda restrict there fast drinking habits too.

christmas-tree-3-icon.pngchristmas-tree-3-icon.png

#46 11 years ago

What did the bartop resin say to sand the wood with to allow it to grip?

The stuff I have says the entire surface needs to be sanded to 100 grit or the epoxy will lift over time.

#47 11 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

What did the bartop resin say to sand the wood with to allow it to grip?
The stuff I have says the entire surface needs to be sanded to 100 grit or the epoxy will lift over time.

Nope and judging by the way this stuff adheres to a smooth concrete floor, bare aluminum, plastic and fingers, I don't anticipate any problems.

#48 11 years ago

Nope and judging by the way this stuff adheres to a smooth concrete floor, bare aluminum, plastic and fingers, I don't anticipate any problems.

Nope what?

What do they recommend?

#49 11 years ago

Envirotex says to scuff up painted, polyurethane or lacquer surfaces prior to application, but they don't seem to say to what grit.

#50 11 years ago

F@ck that's nice!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
There are 77 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-first-attempt-at-clearcoating-a-playfield and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.