Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pincam.jpg
pincam-2.jpg
pincam-1.jpg
tzlitz.jpeg
#1 11 years ago

I think it came out quite well! I just moved into a loft apartment, and the loft happens to overhang right where my TZ sits. After some finagling of the camera and tripod, I ended up with this shot where you can see the playfield very well, but the top few lines of the DMD are cut off. I used a wireless mic clipped on to the left speaker for audio, that came out a lot better than I was expecting too!

Oh and I also got to Lost In The Zone and put up a pretty decent score over the half-hour game! I'd love to hear some tips or critique about gameplay.

- Pillarboxed

- Horizontal

Here's a downloadable quicktime version: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/54764/tzlitz-6000.mov

Let me know what you guys think!

PS: If you're wondering why it looks like there's no glass... PDI magic!

tzlitz.jpegtzlitz.jpeg

#2 11 years ago

Very Cool! I so need to get a TZ.

#3 11 years ago

Nice game

#4 11 years ago

That's amazing how well PDI turned out in this video. I wouldn't know there was glass otherwise! I prefer the muffled mechanical sounds rather than recording with the glass off, sounds more real. I plan on making a Wizard of Oz LE video JUST like this with a direct audio feed from the AUX jack on the machine. I will attempt to get direct LCD video too. If not I'll run a Handycam over my left shoulder with optical zoom like PAPA does. Not an HD camera but it doesn't need to be since the video will be off to the side in a smaller view. I plan on doing both a vertical version with the LCD and a full-screen horizontal one without. I will maintain the full 1920 pixels of height in the vertical one. The option for "original" resolution will be available if you want to view it that way.

Here's a Frankenstein video I came across, the audio is perfect:

#5 11 years ago

Nice, what s PDI? You have a unlevel game, and a special shot light out.

Fun video man, did a great job. When you had the stuck ball I think you panic'd there and right before you got greed,drain,LITZ. It felt like your were rushing the shots. Only suggestion is to slow the ball down, when you don't have a clock. Wait till your ready for the shot, not trying to make the shot on the ball on the run.

#6 11 years ago

Great vid. Makes me want to set up my TZ again! Was agonising (but funny) watching all those rejections from the slot machine when you had when trying to shoot your last door panel (for Hitchhiker)

#7 11 years ago

Just the mini playfield is slightly unlevel, I need to adjust that. And replace that special light! I can't really be patient enough to trap the ball most of the time, call me a frenetic pin player... At least on TZ!

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

That's amazing how well PDI turned out in this video. I wouldn't know there was glass otherwise! I prefer the muffled mechanical sounds rather than recording with the glass off, sounds more real. I plan on making a Wizard of Oz LE video JUST like this with a direct audio feed from the AUX jack on the machine. I will attempt to get direct LCD video too. If not I'll run a Handycam over my left shoulder with optical zoom like PAPA does. Not an HD camera but it doesn't need to be since the video will be off to the side in a smaller view. I plan on doing both a vertical version with the LCD and a full-screen horizontal one without. I will maintain the full 1920 pixels of height in the vertical one. The option for "original" resolution will be available if you want to view it that way.
Here's a Frankenstein video I came across, the audio is perfect:
» YouTube video

The PDI glass is really amazing for taking videos. I'm glad I have it for TZ.

I would love to make a WoZ LE video, I just need to find someone locally with one who has enough ceiling clearance for a nice top-down shot like that. I'd like to build a rig like PAPA has, that could be a project for the future.

I work at a small TV studio, and I would totally host a livestreamed tournament there - we have a lighting grid that we can hang cameras from (including our HD robotics) and stream it out to the world! Could be fun, but also a lot of work to get together. Maybe Bowen would like to do some play by play commentary

I was looking at this for DMD capture, Ed Cheung is a genius: http://www.edcheung.com/album/album07/Pinball/wpc_sound.htm#dmd

#9 11 years ago

Which camera model did you use to record this video?

#10 11 years ago
#11 11 years ago

Wow.. thats an awesome camera and the quality of the vid you posted proves it. Thanks for sharing!

#12 11 years ago

Yeah I didn't realize Ed got that far recently. If I had any machines I would definitely be interested in that board. I can see PAPA mixing a direct feed of the DMD in with their videos. Just connect the board to a VGA -> composite converter and capture with a composite capture device. That's what I plan on doing with WOZ if I can re-route the cable going from the PC to the LCD display. If I can do that I will also re-route the VGA output of my laptop to the LCD so I can still get an idea of what's going on (albeit with a second or two of lag). I'll be doing the video with an iPhone 4s. Nothing against professional level cameras, but you won't be able to tell the difference between the two in the end.

How exactly did you set up your tripod? Do you have a picture?

#13 11 years ago

I'll have to take a picture of my setup the next time I bring the camera home, I just had it set up for a day or two for testing. Got lucky that the second game I played was that LITZ run! I wish I was videotaping a few months ago when I got double-LITZ and my all time high score.

If it's a standard VGA output on WoZ, it should be easy to either convert or just capture in full resolution (lots of switchers and input cards have VGA inputs). Even just pointing a decent camera at it would be fine, I think.

I really don't think an iPhone 4S will do a superb job in capturing adequate video, if only because it comes heavily pre-compressed so any editing/transcoding you do will add generational losses. It also might not have the storage space for marathon length games you see on the likes of TZ sometimes. But any and all well-made Pinball videos are great! I just wish YouTube would allow vertical orientation of videos, it kills me rotating the video to fit in a 1080p frame due to the resolution loss, and Vimeo is pathetically bad these days.

#14 11 years ago

Cool video. Thanks for sharing! I like your TZ. Looks like an early sample.

#15 11 years ago

pzy yes there is compression but by the time it gets to YouTube it really won't look any different. I have hard disk space to burn so I set the bit rate high enough to where compression really doesn't make enough of an impact to notice. You can get around the resolution reduction by upping your video dimensions to 1920x3414. That way YouTube will preserve the original resolution and provide an option for watching it without scaling it down.

#17 11 years ago

Vid looks great PDI looks even better.
Only thing that would be nice is if you could get the flippers and the DMD screen shot on the same screen at the same time.

Nice work i will watch for future vids on youtube. Thanks for sharing.

1 week later
#18 11 years ago

I promised pics of my setup, and I brought the camera home again for this weekend.

Also, here's a quick new video of two bang backs in a row (I just learned how to do them, they're still cool to me ok )

I think the tweaked angle is a little better, although it's still missing the top few rows of pixels on the DMD.

pincam-1.jpgpincam-1.jpg pincam-2.jpgpincam-2.jpg

#19 11 years ago

Thanks for verifying that for me Keith. Can you tell me if it uses a standard VGA female connector on the machine? I don't see why not since it's basically a PC.

#20 11 years ago

Here's mine. It's not great. Picks up floor vibration and isn't stable enough.

pincam.jpgpincam.jpg

#21 11 years ago

Careful with those bang backs. You will hurt your wrist, badly. I'm not kidding, it's not going to end well.

#22 11 years ago

I'm not sure if this is an option or not, but I've made some videos of my EM games here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/SirSteveFury?blend=1&ob=0

I played a large number of games setting the camera up at a multitude of different angles... some above, some very close up and low to the playfield etc. Then I used a software editing program (Power Director by Cyberlink) to edit the shots into one contiguous play.
The multiple angles help the viewer to understand what is happening on the playfield and adds interest.
I'd like to redo those videos someday. Now that I've done two of them I know I can do a much better video.

For example on your modern pin, if the ball is shot into an area and disappears from view, what is happening while it's hidden? Are there light indications or animations somewhere which can be highlighted? Another example is if the ball gets automatically shot up to the next level and sent down a ramp- those are some great opportunities for awesome close-up camera angles!

The only limitation is imagination and creativity! You'll get far more interesting videos with great imagination and creativity using less quality equipment versus less ingenuity with professional equipment. Combining expensive equipment with expansive imagination would produce some truly awe-inspiring videos!

#23 11 years ago

cool stuff. Reminds me of the Tilt (Brooke Shields) movie.

3 months later
#24 11 years ago

I finally got the chance to do one myself on Fish Tales! The alignment is a little off but I couldn't tell on my tiny iPhone screen. I plan on doing a WOZ follow-up video in a few months, using direct video and audio feeds for the LCD.

#25 11 years ago

nice vid.. I Think PAPA uses vimeo because they allow odd sizes (and vertical video), crops a little better

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Hermosa Beach, CA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 90.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 63.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 22.50
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 79.50
Gameroom - Decorations
pinballmod

$ 145.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 73.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 12.95
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, CA
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

10,950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
$ 14.95
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Bradenton, FL
$ 12.95
$ 14.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 359.00
Playfield - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-first-attempt-at-a-top-down-pinball-video and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.