IMG_20190401_192711 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190401_192704 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190401_192655 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190401_192639 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190401_192618 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190401_192629 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190401_192559 (resized).jpg

#1 4 years ago

So, I've been having my eye on getting a sinbad recently. And I bought one. I had a post about the weirdness that went along with buying the machine.
The machine was just filthy. I do think I slightly overpaid for this... But, I'm not going to fret over 100-300 dollars, when I got a nice pinball machine. And I mean nice in the way that I believe a Sinbad machine to be a very good pinball machine and one of the best early SS machines.
The condition of this machine I'd say is 6.5-7 players condition machine. Its rough. Wasn't cleaned for many years. Rubbers are cracked and will need to be replaced. Plastics are good condition, but there is one that has slight damage... I might replace... I might not.
The backglass is in good shape. Has moderate wearing and peeling. I want to fix and seal that. I'd rate the backglass at around an 8 out of 10. The cab is dinged and badly faded. I actually plan on doing vinyl sides and having custom art adorn the sides that will further enhance the Ray Harryhausen-ness of the pin.
The person also put a white sox sticker on the spinner which I removed, but sadly it removed a lot of the remaining paint. But, it spins better now... So I am either going to paint a custom sword on it, or I will paint a cyclops face. I haven't decided yet. A custom sword fits more in the motif of the game. But, I figured a cyclopes face with one being normal and the other side being a roar, could be a cool effect that adds to the whole Ray Harryhausen-ness I am striving for.
The legs will need to be replaced as they have rollers, and I just rather buy a complete new set of legs. As these are also badly beaten. I might want to consider drilling new holes in the cab for the legs, as these are a bit wobbly from the neglect from the previous owners.

Mechanically this game is really sound. The only switches that don't work are actually the two switches on the drop target bank with 2 drops... Not a big deal, but I can't get to them because they are inside the drop target mech. Otherwise everything works great, and these two switches not working don't really matter. If you hit them an they are triggered you'd get 10 points per hit... Not going to impact the game really at all.

So... This is my first attempt at a restoration. I kind of need guidance. I don't know if I want to do a full playfield swap. I might just want to do a partial restoration, and shop of this pin. But, since I am planning on making a custom topper and custom cab art. I might want to go the whole 9 yards...

Really my thought was not to go too crazy at first and just start slow. Just start with the goal of making the game better. So I figure first up is the playfield. It is battered and worn to all heck... But, really not too bad. My issue is. If I try to touch up the paint. Its going to be apparent where I did and where I left it alone. Okay, but it will still look better, then if just left alone.
I don't think I have the skill to really repaint the whole thing, as the paint job is way to complex. And I do think replacing the playfield could always be an option down the road if I find one, so taking the time to repair what I have, I don't think I will regret.
What are your thoughts on how I should handle the playfield. I figure. This will be my first task with the restoration.

IMG_20190401_192559 (resized).jpgIMG_20190401_192559 (resized).jpgIMG_20190401_192618 (resized).jpgIMG_20190401_192618 (resized).jpgIMG_20190401_192629 (resized).jpgIMG_20190401_192629 (resized).jpgIMG_20190401_192639 (resized).jpgIMG_20190401_192639 (resized).jpgIMG_20190401_192655 (resized).jpgIMG_20190401_192655 (resized).jpgIMG_20190401_192704 (resized).jpgIMG_20190401_192704 (resized).jpgIMG_20190401_192711 (resized).jpgIMG_20190401_192711 (resized).jpgIMG_20190401_192719 (resized).jpgIMG_20190401_192719 (resized).jpgIMG_20190401_192729 (resized).jpgIMG_20190401_192729 (resized).jpgIMG_20190401_192738 (resized).jpgIMG_20190401_192738 (resized).jpgIMG_20190401_192748 (resized).jpgIMG_20190401_192748 (resized).jpgIMG_20190401_192837 (resized).jpgIMG_20190401_192837 (resized).jpgIMG_20190401_192923 (resized).jpgIMG_20190401_192923 (resized).jpg
#2 4 years ago

That playfield would be quite easily touched up and look real good. I don't think a playfield swap is necessary at all. I use createx paints and I take my time mixing the colors.

#3 4 years ago

Just a suggestion but better pictures or some light would better tell the story and be better to offer advice. I think it looks nice not sure.

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Just a suggestion but better pictures or some light would better tell the story and be better to offer advice. I think it looks nice not sure.

Yeah... I don't have any cameras with a flash, and that was the room with all the lights on... I do plan on borrowing a camera from a friend.
There are some grooves in the playfield.... Not horrible ones... But, should I/can I do anything about those?
This is a 40 year old machine. So I think it is in fantastic shape to begin with. But, I want it to be the best I can. As I have plans for making it look spiffy.

#5 4 years ago

And I think the inserts are a bit sunken in... Not sure what can be done about that as well... My goal I think is to try to do a nice touch up with it. Take it slow. Take it one section at a time. And just try to have fun with it. Again... If I am smart and not stupid(a big IF), no matter what it should look better than if I do nothing.

#6 4 years ago

As a first restore you have a decent candidate to learn on. I do suggest not over thinking or over doing it. You want to bring it back to life not give it plastic surgery. Personally, I would (with tons of Good photos) strip the top side, clean and hand polish every part, then Carefully clean that Playfield with alcohol and a magic eraser. Not carefully as in don’t clean down to wood! A few good cleanings with Novus 32 &1 the a good wax. Assemble then enjoy just don’t go To far. This should be a pleasurable Learning experience, Not a test. If the insert cupping really bothers you later you could always opt for a Playfield protector at low cost but I would personally ignore it. Low cost title, a fun opportunity to learn. Have fun.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

As a first restore you have a decent candidate to learn on. I do suggest not over thinking or over doing it. You want to bring it back to life not give it plastic surgery. Personally, I would (with tons of Good photos) strip the top side, clean and hand polish every part, then Carefully clean that Playfield with alcohol and a magic eraser. Not carefully as in don’t clean down to wood! A few good cleanings with Novus 32 &1 the a good wax. Assemble then enjoy just don’t go To far. This should be a pleasurable Learning experience, Not a test. If the insert cupping really bothers you later you could always opt for a Playfield protector at low cost but I would personally ignore it. Low cost title, a fun opportunity to learn. Have fun.

Yes, I do agree... As I said I plan on creating custom vinyl side art for the cab, and also a nice custom topper... This is more my field of expertise as I own my own indie comic company. And I plan on having some of my artists draw those for me.

I'll have to look up videos of people cleaning playfields. When I first got this game home. I immediately waxed it. It was so filthy. That really made a huge difference in just the game playing so much better. I do want to touch up the playfield though. Even if my paint doesn't match 100% I think it'll still look better than the worn and battered look.
And that is good for about this game... It doesn't have that much going on... And I needed to take all that stuff off anyway to replace the rubbers... Which are old and cracked... Still function okay... But, again... I know its been ages since they were changed. Thanks for the input.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from Diospinball:

Yes, I do agree... As I said I plan on creating custom vinyl side art for the cab, and also a nice custom topper... This is more my field of expertise as I own my own indie comic company. And I plan on having some of my artists draw those for me.
I'll have to look up videos of people cleaning playfields. When I first got this game home. I immediately waxed it. It was so filthy. That really made a huge difference in just the game playing so much better. I do want to touch up the playfield though. Even if my paint doesn't match 100% I think it'll still look better than the worn and battered look.
And that is good for about this game... It doesn't have that much going on... And I needed to take all that stuff off anyway to replace the rubbers... Which are old and cracked... Still function okay... But, again... I know its been ages since they were changed. Thanks for the input.

Let me know if need anything as your local. I think (maybe) I might even have that same old Playfield I picked up long ago. Have fun.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 89.00
Electronics
That Old Pinball
Electronics
Machine - For Sale
Gardner, MA
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 7.50
Electronics
That Old Pinball
Electronics
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball
Other
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-first-attempt-at-a-restoration?hl=diospinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.