(Topic ID: 59697)

My feelings why Pinball is not always popular with new players.

By Mercury

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 56 posts
  • 34 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Aurich
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
    There are 56 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 10 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

Even video games are far easier than they ever used to be. Honestly, very few people these days like to be challenged. I always hear, "life is hard enough, when I am doing something for recreation, I don't want it to be hard."
    We as people want instant gratification from our leisure time. DVRs allow us to skip commercials, online ordering lets us get things without waiting for our store to carry it, and the everybody is outstanding concept allows us to skip the work it takes to be truly outstanding.

that's a good point, I've really gone off video games (aside from more simulation games like NBA2k and international cricket captain) as these day's they've all been dumbed down to the point of it feeling like all I'm doing is watching an interactive movie. It's been a long time since a game came out that really had me feeling absorbed and like I was doing something kind of new.

In regards to pins I agree modern pins just confuse people. Aside from my Dad and afew friends all my family or vistors to my place only seem to enjoy playing space jam as they drain to quick on comet and whirlwind, and ripley's confuses the hell out of them (they don't understand they've started a mode or know what to shoot, or they aren't paying attention when a balls kicked back out the scoop). Space jam seems popular with them as they can hit some ramps and baskets and get the multiball without really understanding how they did it. My mum actually thought she'd broken space jam when she got a multi ball on it.

#52 10 years ago

I'd just like to point out also, machines just aren't "out there" like they used to be. Seems like 1 out of 4 arcades have even one machine any more. Years ago there was one in the corner of every bar, drug store and bowling alley, or a bank of them on a wall in any arcade (like Funway where I worked). Pins in the wild are a rare breed nowadays. The success of the home video game system linked to the Internet, enabling people to play other people on the other side of the globe without leaving their recliner has put not only pins, but arcade games as well, in the hurt locker. Redemption games seem to be the craze now, spitting out tickets for prizes that can be bought for half the money it cost you to win the ticket.

#53 10 years ago

It would help if most of the machines I encountered on site were not complete garbage.

There was an X-Men machine at my local "arcade" I visited before viewing a movie recently. It was in tournament mode.

Machine was terrible, flippers were weak and could barely make it up the playfield, the rubbers were worn, cracked and in some places almost split all the way through, etc etc.

This was one of the first physical machines I encountered and had I not put the time into researching machines as I had I might have thought this was normal operating behaviour. I was just lucky I had spent so much time watching videos of it on youtube to know thats NOT how pinball was supposed to play.

This machine was front and center too as you ride up the escalator, why they would put such rubbish in such a prominent position I will never know.

#54 10 years ago
    Quoted from Craig:

I have (re)introduced at least a hundred people to pinball in the past year alone. As a result, I have a 30-60 second speech memorized for each pin in my lineup highlighting the game's two or three key shots. That is usually all it takes to make playing a far more satisfying experience.

So... let's hear that speech.

#55 10 years ago
    Quoted from Caucasian2Step:

So... let's hear that speech.

Hit this, then that, then this...

#56 10 years ago
    Quoted from PurpleTophat:

See, I think the LCD screen opens the door for such things. If a casual or first time player steps up, puts their coins in, and is able to select from Easy, Medium, or Hard, they will choose Easy.

You know, Who Dunnit? kind of did that, there was an easy mode you could choose that I think guaranteed 2 minutes of ball time even if you were draining left and right.

Stern definitely gets this, as much as they make 'deep' pin rules, they also give out multiballs like candy. "Keep whacking Wolverine until you get multiball" is easy to explain, and gives people an easy goal for a pretty good reward.

Edit: Missed that captainadam_21 brought up W?D first.

There are 56 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-feelings-why-pinball-is-not-always-popular-with-new-players/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.