Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by pinlawyer
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 9 years ago

Best Expo yet, IMHO!
    Great job on the team tourney. Love the pingolf format.

Main tourney was a lot of fun. Some of it--especially the lines and non-working TWD head--was annoying, but that's competitive pinball. It's fun, but there's always something to complain about and plenty of folks complaining. Thanks to Trent for running it again.

Selection of free play pins was outstanding. I especially enjoyed Mike Schudel's Cyclopes and Brian Bannon's classics.

As always, the highlight of Expo is seeing all of you pin-folk for our yearly chats in the halls.

This year was the Year of the Boutique Pins, led by DP's Lebowski. Great presentation, great party, great guys, great pin.

I have to disagree with the group-think on the Hobbit. I think it will be one for the ages. Yes, the Smaug toy was underwhelming. But the dancing, individually controlled drop targets will carry this one across the finish line. Plays, sounds and looks a bit like LoTR II, as much due to the color scheme and Keith Johnson's rules as Tolkien.

Played AMH. Looks and sounds homemade, but plays like a champ. Great pin.

Disliked Full Throttle. Backbox looks awful, pin looks cheap, theme is weird (motorcycle racing?), music annoyed me, ramps clunky.

Multimorphic's getting there, but it's still an "almost."

BoP 2.0 rocks.

Flame suit on: WTF re Predator? That pin is overdue. I've lost interest. There was one there, working half the time.

Finally, JPop. Probably 3 years ago, I was in on Magic Girl. Expensive,but to be one of so few to own a hand-built gorgeous pin within a year made me want one. I sent in $500. And then....was presented with a NDA and a bill for $8000, non refundable. No PF pic, no drawings, few promises.
    Um......no. NFW, actually. I've yet to see a single pin from him, though there are plans for 3, I hear. Where's all that money?

#2 9 years ago

It was great to see you there. It was a great expo for sure. I also really liked cyclops. Pinbrawl was fun. Glad you had a great trip.

#3 9 years ago
    Quoted from pinlawyer:

I have to disagree with the group-think on the Hobbit. I think it will be one for the ages. Yes, the Smaug toy was underwhelming. But the dancing, individually controlled drop targets will carry this one across the finish line. Plays, sounds and looks a bit like LoTR II, as much due to the color scheme and Keith Johnson's rules as Tolkien.

I respect that you enjoyed it but find it a bit insulting to lump everyone's opinion into a "group think" mentality. You seem to be a very competitive player who is very focused on deep rules and scoring strategy. But for so many pinheads like myself .. we're more blown away by mechanically complex toys, light shows, playfield art, etc. etc. Controlled drop targets? Neat. But not something that makes the game "one for the ages" on its own. Not by a longshot. And certainly not at this price. But to each his own.

I'm curious where you felt the P3 was still lacking? (or "almost"?) I tend to agree and have my own thoughts ... I'm just curious what yours were. Thanks for the write up!

#4 9 years ago

Thanks for the rundown. Any other AZ guys make the trip with you?

#5 9 years ago

P3 didn't feel like pinball. It felt more "vid" than P2K. The colors on the video screen didn't really pop. There was a whole backstory to it that I wasn't interested in learning. I felt like the theme was a movie I'd never seen.

The flippers felt okay, but still the physics felt unpredictable, as though the response time wasn't uniform in a strict sense. I loved the backbox, though.

#6 9 years ago

Other AZ guys? Mark Pearson, Brett Davis (X-Pin) and Larry Rosenthal (Starship Fantasy)

#7 9 years ago

I missed seeing you pinlawyer!

#8 9 years ago
    Quoted from pinlawyer:

P3 didn't feel like pinball. It felt more "vid" than P2K. The colors on the video screen didn't really pop. There was a whole backstory to it that I wasn't interested in learning. I felt like the theme was a movie I'd never seen.
    The flippers felt okay, but still the physics felt unpredictable, as though the response time wasn't uniform in a strict sense. I loved the backbox, though.

Great feedback, thanks! I've felt the same on some of your points but I cannot say I've yet had the chance to play it. But watching many videos ... there are some aspects I think need continued work (but they're heading in a direction with a lot of potential.)

Thanks again.

#9 9 years ago

Greg it was great to meet you!

#10 9 years ago
    Quoted from pinlawyer:

Other AZ guys? Mark Pearson, Brett Davis (X-Pin) and Larry Rosenthal (Starship Fantasy)

Cool. I will be meeting Mark on the 25th, and I'm guessing I will be meeting you then as well.

EDIT: I didn't know Xpin was local. I've followed the America's Most Haunted build from the beginning and that display looks great in that machine.

#11 9 years ago

I don't see how p3 can "not feel like pinball". It is pinball not a vid. It has flipper and a real ball. The physics cant be off. They're actual physics not emulated by software. If they feel wrong, then the perception of what they should feel like is the problem. All that being said, I'm buying a p3 preorder as soon as I get my hobbit preorder money back.

#12 9 years ago
    Quoted from Gexchange:

I missed seeing you pinlawyer!

So did I. Was looking forward to meeting another classic Stern lover.

#13 9 years ago
    Quoted from pinlawyer:

Good critique. Let me go a bit further. Bear in mind, I love the P3 concept. I was a cheerleader for it after I played the original demo unit. The problem isn't P3 - the problem is this game, Lexi Lightyear. It's a bad game. Multimorphic are pretty brilliant engineers - but they're not artists or storytellers and they NEED one on staff. You hit start, you see warehouses....bland warehouses...it's all grey and green. Boring text font and arrows telling you what to shoot. You can start modes like Bigfoot farting around a swamp or helping some redneck guy assemble something. Where is Lexi!? Where's the space adventure!? Why is the mascot of the game absolutely absent? It's like playing a Super Mario game where there are just mushrooms and turtles running around.

All of the video stuff is too "literal" to the view of the pinball player....that is, everything is as though there's an overhead camera. You're looking at the top of Bigfoot's head, the redneck's head. It's visually unappealing and the wrong way to go, IMO.

Speaking of visually unappealing, the graphics and art are just terrible. They've changed to a bit of a cel-shaded style, but it doesn't help. Everything is still grey and green and drab. These are graphics from 1995....and this massively hurts the product. If the idea is that this is going to be out on route and attract new players - these graphics will TURN THEM AWAY! I think in Multimorphic's mind, the mediocre art is acceptable because this is so new for pinball...that's Pinhead Logic...but to the Average Joe who's lived through 4 Playstations and 3 Xboxes, they're going to look at the Lexi graphics and think this is an OLD game from the 90's. Visually it's that massively backwards.

I've always said I love Revenge from Mars cuz it's just an awesome, fun and appealing game - not just because of the tech. P3 needs a game that blows you out of the water with - this tech with poor presentation completely defeats the entire project. They need to hire a professional art director/character designer, animation director/storyboard artist. With that giant monitor - I imagine you pressing start and a really cool intro movie begins, showing Lexi on some space mission...maybe while the movie is playing, the ball launches to "warm up" the player...and when you flip, the ball hits Lexi's ship, causing it to crash...which begins the game and gives you a connection to the story - so you don't feel like Azpinlawyer did when playing!

One more thing - I love the idea of the art on the monitor reacting to the ball, slings, and flippers. There was a cool burst or explosion effect that comes off the slings. I think using this for cool presentation over gameplay might be the way to go. The problem is, when you're trying to "hit" things that are on the monitor, there's no tactile response, so it lacks the satisfaction one gets of hitting physical things in pinball. Also, there's an issue of thinking you hit something but it not registering. There was some small trinket I was supposed to shoot and "collect"...I clearly "hit" it, but it didn't give it to me....that was annoying. I think the screen will be more fun if the ball is making animated paths/trails, doing funny stuff to characters, and dynamically changing to different types of "animated playfield art" based on game progress or modes.

#14 9 years ago
    Quoted from dothedoo:

So did I. Was looking forward to meeting another classic Stern lover.

I was able to meet both of you guys this year for the first time. Met Greg in Expobrawl and talked to him a few time in the hallways. He does have a lot of nice classic Sterns and may have him convinced that he needs a Cyclopes too.

Bill, loved, Loved, LOVED your Quicksilver. That was one of the games that kept making me go back to the free play annex room. I think my ears are still ringing from that sub that was connected to it!

#15 9 years ago

I, too, loved that QS!! Played it for two hours late Saturday when I should have been resting up for the finals!

#16 9 years ago

Greg, as always nice chatting with you. The clunker game and I made it back safely.

#17 9 years ago

Nicest clunker ever. My wife's in the shower. I think I'll get a game of HGT in now.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-expo-experience and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.