Topic Stats

• 69 posts
  • 60 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Miguel351
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_5285 (resized).JPG
image (resized).jpg
caro ddr (resized).jpg

There are 69 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 2 years ago

I was just talking to Thadawkins on here via PM about this. But I'll give you the rundown about my situation; hear me out:

This is going to sound very petty. I don't care.

There is this Brewery downtown, and they have two Gottlieb machines; both are set to free play. I practice on them constantly. Older Gottliebs have always seemed like harder machines than Williams and Ballys; in my young experience with them at least. I could be wrong.

Anyway, my little sister and I go there all the time. We're both pretty introverted, and we basically hang out with each other more than we hang out with our own friends these days. We will shut ourselves in and fly through videogames for hours without leaving the house. She has her own apartment, but she pretty much lives at mine. We're best friends now that were kind of adults. Anyhow, we've had this sibling rivalry since I was twelve, she was seven. She has to be the best at everything. And she -without fail- always is. Now that she is 21 and I am 25, we can go to bars together. That was really cool at first, but now it is a nightmare. The rivalry has reached that next level. It started with Dance Dance Revolution. She has won probably six or seven competitions in our state. I gave up trying to beat her. I flat out gave up on DDR altogether. That was supposed to be my sport, but it quickly became hers.

She's done everything I do since we were kids. It's annoying as shit. On top of that she is a straight-A student, American Apparel model, cheer-leading city champion, the star of my parent's universe, yadda yadda. You get my point. She's effortlessly better than me. It drives me nuts. She's too perfect, and I don't like it.

So naturally, when I discovered my love for pinball she followed suit. Like clockwork. We were with two friends the other night and went to this brewery, which has two tables. And she scored an astronomical score on Surf n' Safari after only two replays. And then she just walked away and ordered a drink like it was nothing. She didn't even enter her initials in the high score log. I know she did that on purpose, I swear to god. She had so many balls bouncing around the table, and she didn't loose one of them for like four minutes straight. Meanwhile I am playing on the adjacent table, killing myself trying to beat a high score that I eventually realized was HER score. Her initials. That. Little. Shit. I used to have the high score on both of those tables.

I love her to death, but my ego will not let me go down without a fight. Not this time. I want to be the best. And I am pretty damn good as it is. I was quietly upset for the rest of the night; and she knew it. And she never rubs it in my face which is almost worse than if she did. She maintains absolute indifference, shrugs and smiles, because she is an arrogant alien child with a ridiculous IQ. So it's time for this to end.

I need to beat her. Give me tips. What is she doing that I am not? If there is any advice you can give me to just beat her score; I would really appreciate it. What am I not doing?!. I know this may seem like an open ended thread, but I don't care if you just throw out random suggestions as to why she could possibly be so great so fast. Please and thank you.

I'm on a mission from God.

Here is a picture of her being her typical, self absorbed, over-achiever self.

caro ddr (resized).jpg

#2 2 years ago
Quoted from Kinetik-Systems:

What is she doing that I am not?

Winning.

rd

#3 2 years ago

Bam.

Hah. Ouch.

#4 2 years ago

Switch to another hobby!

#5 2 years ago

Quit hanging around your sister and go and get a girlfriend that sucks at pinball.

#6 2 years ago

You need a secret practice location. She can't know about it. Virtual pinball doesn't count. You just need time.

#7 2 years ago

No, but wait guys. She is absolutely a machine. She tilts like a fucking wraith; never gets caught for it. The sensor goes off, and I always get excited, and then I hear "MULTIBALLS!" and I just want to punch her.

I am missing something here. Something that she has figured out four days after she started passively playing pinball along side me.

#8 2 years ago

There's 2 sides to this that I've often found discussing with my friends.

There are people who are just naturally good, they just have some sort of gift to be able to play well right from the get-go. I remember a few years ago meeting a guy who had hardly played any Pinball in his life and within a couple of league meets was making 1st/2nd/3rd places with ease like it was nothing. Me? It's taken me 4 years to get to a play level where I can reasonably come middle of the pack each time with a few times placing top 3. It may be the case she is one of those people who can just play no problem (fyi though I've always found Gottlieb machines much easier than Bally/William titles due to the flippers having a much more generous movement arc.) Anyhow after telling one of my friends about this guy he is very much of the 'Anyone can be an expert at anything if they try hard enough, I don't believe it people who are naturally good at things.' which seemed kind of stupid to me but the first part of what he said has a point which brings me to my second.

You can get better with practice, practice and more practice. Go play the games as much as you can in your spare time and try skills. Look up the PAPA tutorials on the skills competitive players use to gain an edge and try to practice them yourself. I just went to as many local league meets and places I could play as much as I could starting out. Of course it helps to have a game at home so you can practice your skills in your spare time - maybe ditch the games console and buy a pin

You're just gonna have to play and get good - that's all there is to it. Although don't take it too seriously, Pinball is meant to be fun but I can totally understand at least wanting to beat her at something for once!

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from crlush:

Quit hanging around your sister and go and get a girlfriend that sucks at pinball.

Recently split from a two year relationship. She was terrible at pinball. Actually she didn't have any hobbies besides Netflix. She was really pretty, and she was funny and intelligent. But I wouldn't be upset if she was the pinball witch of the west. I would have loved that.

This is about beating my own flesh and blood. Being super into pinball doesn't help you find women; trust me.

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from Archytas:

There's 2 sides to this that I've often found discussing with my friends.
There are people who are just naturally good, they just have some sort of gift to be able to play well right from the get-go. I remember a few years ago meeting a guy who had hardly played any Pinball in his life and within a couple of league meets was making 1st/2nd/3rd places with ease like it was nothing. Me? It's taken me 4 years to get to a play level where I can reasonably come middle of the pack each time with a few times placing top 3. It may be the case she is one of those people who can just play no problem (fyi though I've always found Gottlieb machines much easier than Bally/William titles due to the flippers having a much more generous movement arc.) Anyhow after telling one of my friends about this guy he is very much of the 'Anyone can be an expert at anything if they try hard enough, I don't believe it people who are naturally good at things.' which seemed kind of stupid to me but the first part of what he said has a point which brings me to my second.
You can get better with practice, practice and more practice. Go play the games as much as you can in your spare time and try skills. Look up the PAPA tutorials on the skills competitive players use to gain an edge and try to practice them yourself. I just went to as many local league meets and places I could play as much as I could starting out. Of course it helps to have a game at home so you can practice your skills in your spare time - maybe ditch the games console and buy a pin
You're just gonna have to play and get good - that's all there is to it. Although don't take it too seriously, Pinball is meant to be fun but I can totally understand at least wanting to beat her at something for once!

Thanks dude, that makes me feel better. I want to buy a table, I would buy a table (Arabian Nights) before I bought a new car. But I am young. Her and I are on our own, and we're new to this. I am saving for a table at the moment though. kind of. I have a huge bucket that I have been throwing loose change into. Figured out Caroline has been throwing change in there as well. Which can only mean she intends to play that table as well. I have probably $150 in there. But inevitably she will definitely play it all the time when I get one, and I would never stop her. She's a wonderful person, however, she will fight tooth and nail to beat my score. It's in our DNA. We are competitive as shit. I don't understand her motive for trying to one-up me personally. It will happen though. I think I need performance enhancing drugs.

#11 2 years ago

Take your little sister and move to West Virginia?

#12 2 years ago

Don't get into a pissing match with......hmm on the other hand...

#13 2 years ago
Quoted from presqueisle:

Don't get into a pissing match with......hmm on the other hand...

There's only two things that boys can do better then girls.
1) peeing out a campfire.
2) writing your name in the snow, with pee.

#14 2 years ago

I think I read in another thread that you can easily and effortlessly up your scores by not calling them tables.

Or, including more pictures....

#15 2 years ago

Wow, that is a long post to say your little sister beats you at pinball.

As far as advice, watch the DVD Pinball 101, practice more, or unplug the game when she is winning.

#16 2 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

There's only two things that boys can do better then girls.
1) peeing out a campfire.
2) writing your name in the snow, with pee.

So, the problem is it never snows in Florida and it's not really cold enough to need campfires?

-Rob
-visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or for my Williams system 3-7 sound board potentiometer solutions

#17 2 years ago

It will be even more fun when she sees this topic. I'm sure she will never give you shit about it.

Here is a picture of her being her typical, self absorbed, over-achiever self.

image (resized).jpg

I'm just quoting that for truth, because my bullcrap detector in my head went off. If this story is all true, it might be time to grow up a speck. Some people are better at things than other people. It doesn't make you bad, we all just have different strengths. As Captain Picard said, it is possible to do your best and still lose.

However, to me it sounded more like your wife, Morgan Fairchild_, would want to read this.

#18 2 years ago
Quoted from crlush:

..or at something else

#19 2 years ago

Talent, some people are blessed with more than others.

#20 2 years ago

Find a loser boyfriend for your sister. She can spend all her energy trying to improve him into something he's not. Guaranteed to take up way too much of her time and end badly with hard feelings all around.

#21 2 years ago
Quoted from wisefwumyogwave:

Take your little sister and move to West Virginia?

Ha. As I was reading I kept scrolling up to make sure he hadn't started with "Dear Penthouse Forum..."

#22 2 years ago

I think we need more pictures to form a proper response. If not, this is definitely a troll post.

#23 2 years ago

Although you may not like to hear it it sounds like your sisters hard work is paying off in spades. Her high grades speak volumes about focus and discipline. Although many may smirk at this, cheerleading requires intense physical demands on timing, focus and hand eye coordination. It is hard work and its no wonder she excels at anything that requires these talents. While its no fun constantly losing you should cherish these times with family, they wont last forever.

#24 2 years ago

... I don't understand her motive for trying to one-up me personally...

It means she really looks up to you, and if she can do what you can do, even better, then it means she measures up to you and has value as your sister. It's a really annoying compliment, but it sounds like you can get past the annoying part. Enjoy getting whoomped by your sis.

#25 2 years ago

Pinball is no different than any other sport(using that word loosely in every sense) in that it requires proper technique, good fundamentals, and practice. If you want to improve, the practice has to be based on that proper technique and not just batting the ball around.

Casual players can sometimes score pretty well just on their natural ability to keep the ball in play and make a few shots. However, a person who has learned the skills of trapping, catching, passing(both dead and live), and especially nudging will always prevail in the end. Making shots will come with practice, some are better than others at the beginning but it can definitely be taught.

You need to buy a machine so that you can play on a daily basis. By just playing a few games on the weekend, you will never be that good.

#26 2 years ago

Stop whining and embrace this "competition".

Your sister sounds pretty cool.

The two of you have the rest of your lives to laugh about all of this!

Eric

#27 2 years ago

Man you are so Lucky to have a Sister that is Interested in you as a Person!

She shows her love by competing, and has been this way because of all the other things you mentioned she does.
At 21, she doesnt know how to process this yet.
At some point, because she should know how you feel, she will become more sensitive and understanding....hopefully.

Youve shared with us, now simply in the nicest way, in a personal setting, just talk. At least you can plant the seed.

I wont suggest you practice more and beat her...just let her find another way to show you so that even if she does still beat you,
it feels good, because its coming from her heart, and not the part that competes only to win.

My opinion may certainly be wrong, but I thought I should share.

#28 2 years ago

No, but wait guys. She is absolutely a machine. She tilts like a fucking wraith; never gets caught for it. The sensor goes off, and I always get excited, and then I hear "MULTIBALLS!" and I just want to punch her.

I love this. If she is just flailing and randomly puts up scores, then you need to learn the machines. Since you've played the machines already, just read up and understand the rule sets. I know they played Surf & Safari in a papa tournament so head over to pinballvideos.com and look it up. If all this doesn't work, you're just going to have to buy her a bunch of drinks before you play against her.

#29 2 years ago

Natural talent can be overcome but it takes a lot of practice/work.

The problem is if she's willing to practice/work just as hard you're in trouble.

Great thing about pinball is it's just like poker and even the most skilled players will lose fairly often. So if you get good you will win....maybe not as often as her overall.... but you will win some of the time. Enjoy those moments.

#30 2 years ago

If true, this is one long cry for help.

#31 2 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

my bullcrap detector in my head went off.

So did mine.

#32 2 years ago

Your lucky as hell to have a sister like that. Some people are just naturally better at some things.
I had a friend years ago that was like her. I found out I was REALLY good at Atari asteroids. After he saw I could line up free ships all the way across the screen and he couldn't get past 50,000 points he settled down.

Just find something you can naturally whip her at and when she sees that all the "competition" will be gone.

#33 2 years ago

After reading this did anyone else think of the sandler movie That's My Boy?

#34 2 years ago

I dunno put it all up here.... she's most likely going to be reading this if she is following your coat tails... then you're going to have another problem.

You're all in your twenties... I'd say enjoy this while it lasts because whenever one of you find a significant other, it's going to end and move on. I consider yourself lucky to have a sibling so close. If you want to beat her at pinball, you need to learn the rules of the tables you're targeting (read and watch videos) and practice a lot on your own to put in more time than she's doing. Pretty simple.

#35 2 years ago

Did you and your sister come to Free Play Florida in Orlando this past weekend?
Most from your area did, and if so I would have thought she'd enter the pinball tournament I was helping run.
We had several women play but I don't recall her being one of them, and if she's as good as you say she needs to get involved ASAP.
There are also groups in the St. Pete/Tampa area that have gatherings often.

And if the tables were turned you'd hope for her full support, so please do that for her.
And some tournaments have team/doubles events that you guys would be great at!
I believe The Pinball Asylum in Fort Myers has an annual one.

#36 2 years ago
Quoted from EvanDickson:

It means she really looks up to you, and if she can do what you can do, even better, then it means she measures up to you and has value as your sister. It's a really annoying compliment, but it sounds like you can get past the annoying part. Enjoy getting whoomped by your sis.

This statement is absolutely spot on. Being on the opposite side of the OP in this equation i was always looking up to my older sister. She and I have always been very competitive and i looked up to her because she was always good at everything. This started with video games on a NES. I practiced my butt off to be able to beat her at any game and it worked. By the time SNES came out the student had become the master and i was almost unbeatable at a ton of games. To this day when my sister comes to my house she will try to beat the GC scores on my pins and will gloat if she gets her initials up anywhere. Learning the rules of as many games as possible will be the ticket. Watch the PAPA tutorials and game play vids on Youtube to become more knowledgeable. Pinball 101 is great as well as watching live feeds on Twitch to learn as much as you can. Oh yeah, playing helps as well. lol

#37 2 years ago

I don't have any great advice other than what I saw in high school with another competitive friend: Find someone who can beat your sister at a certain game, but you can beat this person at the same game.

I saw it with a friend and table tennis. Names changed to protect the innocent.

Danny could beat Bob.
Bob could beat Gerald.
Danny could not beat Gerald.

Drove Danny absolutely nuts every time he lost to Gerald. He'd beat Bob. He'd see Bob beat Gerald. He'd then play Gerald and lose. He'd walk around ranting and raving for days. Damn, it was funny.

#38 2 years ago

I know your exact same situation with brother/sister rivalry, however mine leans in the opposite direction. Think of Ferris Buehler's relationship with his sister. We get along great now that we are older. I actually bought the house right next to her and I get to see her and her family quite often now. Less often than we hope for since we are both busy but it is nice.

Ours is less of a who's better than who but more of a prank war. We have been battling back and forth with a mannequin head for over a year now. I propped it on a broom stick and laid it against her window for her to discover right before bedtime, then I find it in my freezer a week later. Lately though, I purchased 100 DVD copies of The Royale Wedding which is essentially a wedding video of the prince who just got married and I hide one copy every time I go over there.

Maybe if you can't beat her at pinball or everything else in life, you can torture her with mini pranks.

#39 2 years ago

she needs to set you up with some of her hot friends.. only fair

#40 2 years ago
Quoted from thadawkins:

This statement is absolutely spot on. Being on the opposite side of the OP in this equation i was always looking up to my older sister. She and I have always been very competitive and i looked up to her because she was always good at everything. This started with video games on a NES. I practiced my butt off to be able to beat her at any game and it worked. By the time SNES came out the student had become the master and i was almost unbeatable at a ton of games. To this day when my sister comes to my house she will try to beat the GC scores on my pins and will gloat if she gets her initials up anywhere. Learning the rules of as many games as possible will be the ticket. Watch the PAPA tutorials and game play vids on Youtube to become more knowledgeable. Pinball 101 is great as well as watching live feeds on Twitch to learn as much as you can. Oh yeah, playing helps as well. lol

100% Agree!!! I have 2 older brothers(6 & 7 years older) that were very good athlete's all through school & just plain good at most everything in life. I looked up to them & not only wanted to be like them, but be better than them. I took a constant beating/schooling from them in the backyard, the driveway shooting hoops, you name it. It pissed me off cause I couldn't beat them, but it also motivated me to work harder & smarter. I ended up shattering their basketball records(my favorite sport), & still hold a couple of school records to this day. The 3 of us still compete, even if it's golfing or BBQing ribs in the backyard. lol

So understand this OP. She looks up to her brother & takes a lot of pride in beating you because of the respect she has for you, even if she doesn't show it sometimes. Don't let it frustrate you, be happy that you guys are good friends, & let motivate you to practice & be more competitive when you play pinball.

P.S. The harder you try to beat her, the more tight you are going to play. Relax, remember the rules & how to maximize your score & then execute it! Above ALL, Have FUN!!!!

#41 2 years ago

If it helps I'll take your sister off your hands.

#42 2 years ago

SnS has a really wacky ruleset, driven by random awards on every plunge like instant multiballs and even double everything in the game. Maybe she just got lucky

#43 2 years ago

If my sister was better than me at pinball I'd be very happy. But... Then... I'd do everything in my power to become better than her. My sister being better than me at pinball would motivate me to get better more than anything else in the world. So be thankful you have some powerful motivation! It's way easier to get better at something when you have great competitors to play with.

And like others said. #1 play more. #2 learn pro techniques by watching videos (drop catch, live catch, post pass, etc) #3 learn the rules by reading rulesheets and watching videos.

#44 2 years ago

You are being beaten by your little sister?

Time to hand in your mancard and move away, a long way away. Maybe another country, like Bitchslapia?

#45 2 years ago

Great post! lol

Can't believe all the people here who are taking this seriously.

OP is an excellent writer!

#46 2 years ago

Is this yet another cry for attention/ help from everyone's favorite pinsider
Kanada?

#47 2 years ago

Fun read, thanks... Post video of your competition!

Real or not, this story reminds me of a documentary I saw about fighter pilots and dog fighting. The researchers were trying to discover what makes particular pilots stand out and unusually successful. They took a scientific approach, and the conclusion they came to is that the outstanding pilots were just gifted in one particular area. Foresight. They could actually perceive what was going to happen before it did.

I've wondered if top pinball players are the same way, maybe they'd be good fighter pilots too!

#48 2 years ago

If your sister is that good, perhaps you should start playing with one of her friends.

#49 2 years ago
Quoted from Thrillhouse:

Although many may smirk at this, cheerleading requires intense physical demands on timing, focus and hand eye coordination. It is hard work and its no wonder she excels at anything that requires these talents.

Uh... yeah, that's why she's good at pinball.

#50 2 years ago

it all starts with ball control. Get control of the ball and then make the shot you need, rinse repeat.
once you get the basics of control down, ie post passing, drop catching, etc... then its time to learn the rules of the games.
after you know how to score on each machine then its just executing and becomes more psychological than anything.

Sounds like right now you are in your own head for each shot. You need to relax and let the game come to you and not force shots.

You ever see "The Last Samurai" when the guy teaching tom cruise how to not suck, he tells him "too much mind" and taps him in the skull... meaning he is thinking about it to much, just react, just go with the flow. Maybe try listening to music when you play to drown out outside distractions.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 249.00
1,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hidden Valley, IN
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 269.00
$ 279.95
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D MODS
$ 369.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Flip N Out Pinball
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 69.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 5,799.00
Pinball Machine
Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
There are 69 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside