(Topic ID: 15676)

My Diners Mylar is coming up, suggestions?

By jonogo

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Dewey68
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2012-04-30_18.49.04.jpg
2012-04-30_18.48.46.jpg
#1 11 years ago

I noticed this after I got it home and the ball travel funny at certain places on the pf. Closer inspection revealed Mylar (at least thats what I think it is) coming up at certain points.

I looked around and saw a "freeze can" method of freezing the mylar so the adhesive no longer adheres, then pulling it up.

Is this a suggested method? Does anyone have any other ideas?

Also, it came to me with some newer decals that were put on and are not bubbling up in the middle. This also changes ball travel and I'd like to repair it.

Thanks!

2012-04-30_18.48.46.jpg2012-04-30_18.48.46.jpg 2012-04-30_18.49.04.jpg2012-04-30_18.49.04.jpg

#2 11 years ago

Problem with the freeze method is yes, the glue no longer adheres... to the MYLAR. The glue will still be firmly adhered to the playfield and will need to be removed by soaking it with naphtha or Goo Gone and gently and PATIENTLY rubbing it off.

How much mylar are we talking here? Is the entire playfield mylared? If so, you're honestly looking at about 6-8 hours of hard work... and I'd recommend a complete playfield tear down if you're going to go that far.

If the mylar is in good shape and isn't bubbling, I would just take an exacto knife, cut off the excess flap, and clean up whatever glue is underneath.

#3 11 years ago

I dont know if you can see it in the pic, but the damage is about dead center on both shots. That is 2 of the problem areas and there are about 1-2 more throughout the playfield.

How would i use an exacto knife there? Trim around where its broken and press whats left flat? Will it stick down or will it pop back up?

thanks for the reply either way.

#4 11 years ago

If you really don't want to remove all the mylar...

To get in there with an exacto you're going to have to remove some parts.

For the top pic there is two things you can try. Heat that area with a hair dryer to soften the glue and try to stick it back down. If it just won't stick or hold very well, I would slice that "buckle" right down the middle, take a hair dryer, heat it back up a bit, then press it down.

For areas like the second pic, just cut off the excess that is sticking up and take a little naphtha and attack any sticky glue residue that may be left behind.

#5 11 years ago

I use a razor blade and lay it flat on the playfield for the cuts. Be careful once you start it is hard to stop.

#6 11 years ago

Thanks guys, I'll try this tonight maybe, if not.. this wkd.

#7 11 years ago

Goo gone

#8 11 years ago

I used some 100% orange oil (sold in a spritzer as air freshener). Worked better than goo gone on the residue in my game and smelled nice as a bonus.

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from ecurtz:

I used some 100% orange oil (sold in a spritzer as air freshener).

Brand Name??

#10 11 years ago

Mia Rose "Air Therapy" I got it at Trader Joes, if you have them in your region.

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from ecurtz:

Mia Rose "Air Therapy" I got it at Trader Joes, if you have them in your region.

I do have one, but I've never been in there. I'll go check it out. Thanks! I believe my police force is getting all my repair-loving this weekend, I'll have to take down the diner next wkd.

#12 11 years ago
Quoted from donjagra:

I use a razor blade and lay it flat on the playfield for the cuts. Be careful once you start it is hard to stop

This can cause scratches where the edges meet the PF. I allow the Goo Gone to sit for 5 minutes, they use a 2" or so piece of plastic with the corner rounded, and "push" the crap along. The key is a very flat part that is going against the PF.

Sometimes you get the top part off, and there is residual. Don't keep going at this, move along to other GG soaked areas, and re-apply more GG over the residual, again wait, and come back to it.

Doing this, with freeze spray removal, makes mylar not bad at all..

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

they use a 2" or so piece of plastic with the corner rounded, and "push" the crap along.

I don't get what you mean here. So I take a piece of plastic thats 2" and has a rounded corner, but how do I remove Mylar with it? Use it to "pry up" the mylar?

BTW, I just drove through London couple months back on my way to Niagara. Only drove through, since we didn't need to stop, but looked like a really nice place. Very beautiful scenery around there.

#14 11 years ago
Quoted from jonogo:

I don't get what you mean here. So I take a piece of plastic thats 2" and has a rounded corner, but how do I remove Mylar with it? Use it to "pry up" the mylar?
BTW, I just drove through London couple months back on my way to Niagara. Only drove through, since we didn't need to stop, but looked like a really nice place. Very beautiful scenery around there.

If you come by again, drop in for some beer and pinball

Use the air can (freeze spray) upside down. Lift a corner, spray it and slowly pull it up, but don't force sections that don't come up, just spray more. It won't lift smoothly, but in sections sort of, hard to explain. Spray on the mylar, and underneath the bend of where you are lifting it.

After the Mylar is off, then get a flat piece of plastic to scrape the crap off, but round the corners so they don't scrape or dig in, and instead of "scrape" per say, sort of push it along, not adding too much force to the PF. You will figure out the pressure needed. It takes some figuring out, but less force and less sharp tools are the key.

Someone posted a good vid of one of the restorers doing this, and I was surprised to see he too used a random piece of flat plastic like I do.

#15 11 years ago

Wow thanks Atomicboy, I understand you fully now. Remove Mylar with freeze, scrape crap with plastic. crap = goo/glue residue. THANKS!!

If I'm ever back in London, I may message you on here . Unfortunately my family was not overly impressed with Niagara as a trip destination, so I dont know if I'll be back out there anytime soon.

#16 11 years ago

My two experiences with removing Mylar were on a Taxi and Funhouse. The Taxi had many places where the Mylar had lifted and some edges coming up, so it was a no-brainer for removal. My FH only had a few places of lifting. My Taxi's clear over the inserts showed "spiderwebbing" before I removed the Mylar, but I was surprised to find a few inserts on my FH that had the same look after I removed the Mylar as they didn't look like that before. I'm not sure if I would remove the Mylar on the FH again if I would have known what it looked like in the end. I can remove the inserts, sand them down and put decals over them and clear coat it to get rid of the webbed clear.

Just a word of caution that you may not like what you end up with when removing the Mylar on your PF. It's a crap shoot it seems on games of that era.

Hope it works out well for you.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 22.50
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bartlett, IL
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-diners-mylar-is-coming-up-suggestions and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.