My Dilemma: IJ or TZ

By IndianaPwns

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 12 years ago

Planning on purchasing my first pin within the next two weeks. Narrowed it down to IJ and TZ. Played both extensively at the local arcade this last weekend. I love the IJ theme, but gameplay seems a little slow. Not in love with TZ's theme, but love the ball flow and reaction time it requires.

If I want longevity, crazy sick pin moments, and depth...which one would you recommend?

I don't want to choose...poooorly.

#2 12 years ago

You have already chosen wisely. Either one is awesome. Once you buy one you will realize you need more. I like IJ a lot but for me TZ by a mile.

#3 12 years ago

Both are great choices, but...

I vote for TZ. The 4 flippers offer many shot choices and the rules are deep. My young boys and I are still discovering things after 2 years of owning the game.

#4 12 years ago

I'd like to own each of these at some point. Based on the relatively few times I've played each of them I think I'd prefer TZ.

As far as theme, I like TZ way better than IJ.

#5 12 years ago

TZ would get my vote. However I want both, Ive had Indy on my wish list for some time now. Just waiting for the right one to show up in my area.

#6 12 years ago

Jeez...tough life eh

Funny I would actually say IJ, but only because I've owned a TZ for a long time. Those would be my top 2 though, really you can't lose.

I think TZ is a bit deeper. Like JesseB said the 4 flippers offer a wider variety of shots, but then again 3 video modes are nice.

Nevermind...there's no right or wrong answer here...tough.

#7 12 years ago

both great games with decent depth. condition could be a major consideration if either or both would be available to you in the right price range . Tz was my first machine , along with a funhouse. IJ my 3rd game. Would probably not sell either. If I could only keep one machine,I'd keep TZ. Theme can be important though. My corvette was an absolutely perfect huo, but I did sell it because even though game play was ok, the theme just did nothing for me. Good luck deciding , in my opinion both are games that you would not tire of soon, but still very popular and should be easy to move if and or when you decide to.

#8 12 years ago

I have owned both, Love IJ but TZ wins hands down for game play.

#10 12 years ago

You have choosen poorly if you don't love it don't buy it

#11 12 years ago

Love our IJ, but TZ is the better game by far.

#12 12 years ago
Quoted from IndianaPwns:

Planning on purchasing my first pin within the next two weeks. Narrowed it down to IJ and TZ. Played both extensively at the local arcade this last weekend. I love the IJ theme, but gameplay seems a little slow. Not in love with TZ's theme, but love the ball flow and reaction time it requires.
If I want longevity, crazy sick pin moments, and depth...which one would you recommend?
I don't want to choose...poooorly.

Ive owned both in the past & am in the works to pick up my 2nd IJ. I would have to say that TZ is the slower of the 2 games. Both top tier games I just prefer the theme & open play field of IJ.

#13 12 years ago

I'd go with IJ on this one.

#14 12 years ago

Indiana Jones easy! TZ to squeezed in the middle and very stop start,also feels like all your shots are to the right of middle!! Indy just rocks all over!

#15 12 years ago

Hmmmm

I own both, I would have said IJ a month ago but after doing some work on my TZ I think it is a more engaging game.
I don't think you would be disappointed with either,both rightfully in the top ten.

#16 12 years ago

I own both pins, my TZ is like new, love playing it, i would say TZ, but the fun part is... I play my IJ much more then my TZ

Buy them both! Widebody games are the greatest!

#17 12 years ago

IJ is a game people appreciate more for the theme, and some really cool gimmicks. great for casual pinheads.

TZ is more of a player's game.. a lot like pinball "chess". one of lawlor's best, easily. plus it has that 'super smooth' Bally game feel.

#18 12 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Nevermind...there's no right or wrong answer here...tough.

That about sums it up. If a vote is required though, TZ. Had one, traded after a few years, missed it so much I had to have another! Not going anywhere now.

#19 12 years ago

IJ is a snooze fest with frustrating shots. TZ by a mile.

#20 12 years ago

I really like the IJ theme, but overall I like TZ much better. I have had my TZ for 15 years and never tire of it. I would however like to add an IJ some day.

#21 12 years ago

The problem with TZ is that most of the modes aren't any fun or your better off skipping them.

IJ once it's dialed in is phenomenal. Ive owned TZ, IJ by a mile. A

#22 12 years ago

I have them both and I play IJ a lot more. Both are good. It will take you longer to get into TZ but once you do you will see what everyone is talking about.

#23 12 years ago

Whichever comes along in better shape or for a better deal. Buy as much machine as you can afford without overpaying for it.

I prefer TZ but the IJ i played was not set up the best. No offense to it's former owners if you read this!

I don't think there's an incorrect choice here as both are top ten pins.

All this being said, i think i'd say pass on both for what they go for! There are alot of games prices at 1/3 to 1/2 the price that i'd rather have. In fact, i probably will dump my tz and do just that in the next few months. Maybe not.

#24 12 years ago

IJ is fun and great for the guests but, for the serious pinhead TZ is what you want.

#25 12 years ago

Hmm I wouldn't get any of these for a first pin..

IJ and TZ have allot that can go wrong!
You could be lucky to get a good one.

WH20 or Getaway..
Start on the lower end , learn to repair etc..

Just my 2 cents!

#26 12 years ago

I've had my IJ now for a month and love the game. Good modes, great multiball rules, nice art package and sounds.

TZ I've played in others collections and it's fun, but I'm sure I would like it more once I started to understand the rules better.

Buy the game with the more appealing theme for you now, and the other a few months from now!

#27 12 years ago

Chalk another one up for some IJ.

#28 12 years ago

Man, that is a tough choice. Both great games. TZ is deeper, but stop and start. IJ has more flow, but can feel a little clunky b/c of the tight shots. It's actually a good 2-pin lineup.

I can't make that call. You can't go wrong either way, actually. I would just buy the nicer machine.

#29 12 years ago

First world problems......

I like TZ better personally..

#30 12 years ago

IJ is a great game, but TZ is my favorite pin.

#31 12 years ago

Tz

#32 12 years ago

Tee Zee says you have chosen wisely.

#33 12 years ago

Both are your basic mode based games of course, get the modes and do the wizard, so depth/strategy are something that I personally couldn't find in either... reading some of the above posts though, maybe I was missing something in the months I had each game set up?? Both have uniquely interactive mini-playfields, both widebodies... I'd say it all depends on how much the theme, artwork and music grabs you! Personally both are boarderline keepers for me, but both end up being on the non-keeper side of the line simply because of the lack of depth/strategy (at least that I could tell!)... I also find the sounds eventually tiresome and the tunes end up driving me insane as I try to sleep at night

Maybe I need to keep my next TZ and give the game another shot... I remember several modes can be started at once on that one (whereas IJ you can only start one at a time), so I guess there must me some strategy in TZ regarding what modes to run simultaneously so that the shots count double...?? Is that the depth people mean?

#34 12 years ago

TZ! one of the best pins ever!

#35 12 years ago

A poll would have been better probably. My preference is for TZ.

#36 12 years ago

Also, IMO, IJ has a much better wizard mode. In TZ everything is open and you just shoot. In IJ's wizard mode you actually have to hit all the switches.

I greatly prefer a wizard mode that can be beat.

#37 12 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

Also, IMO, IJ has a much better wizard mode.

I prefer the IJ wizard mode too, good to have a concrete goal and very satisfying when you get it! A real bummer on a located game if a switch is out though

#38 12 years ago

I think you should ask your girlfriend which one she prefers

#39 12 years ago
Quoted from at_t_2d:

I think you should ask your girlfriend which one she prefers

Haha, probably neither! Going to give you a call sometime soon. Talk Pin.

#40 12 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

I greatly prefer a wizard mode that can be beat.

What's a "wizard mode"?

#41 12 years ago

This is your own personal "Sophie's Choice". Hope your decision doesn't haunt you the way hers did.

#42 12 years ago

IJ. Love the theme, the music, the call outs,etc. I haven't ever gotten into TZ. It always seems to kick my butt before I can get anything going.

Ever thought about spreading the 4k on a few different games?

#43 12 years ago
Quoted from NY2Colorado:

This is your own personal "Sophie's Choice". Hope your decision doesn't haunt you the way hers did.

Haha, I appreciate the encouragement. I like both, but I'm leaning IJ for the theme right now.

#44 12 years ago
Quoted from NY2Colorado:

IJ. Love the theme, the music, the call outs,etc. I haven't ever gotten into TZ. It always seems to kick my butt before I can get anything going.
Ever thought about spreading the 4k on a few different games?

I have. I've been thinking about HS2 a little more. I personally don't know much about repairing/upkeep, so I'm trying to get these things in good to great condition. Is it even possible to snag an IJ in great condition for $4k?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 22.50
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 0.00
Playfield - Other
PinJewels

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, CA
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 43.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1,059.00
$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.95
12,500 (OBO)
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

€ 160.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

11,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Trumansburg, NY
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 132.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-dilemma-ij-or-tz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.