New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 189663)

My decision 2017 - TWD Prem or ACDC Prem

By pcprogrammer

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 62 posts
  • 38 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Guinnesstime
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Which pin would you buy?”

• ACDC Premium 52 votes
    36%
  • Walking Dead Premium 81 votes
    57%
  • Keep STTNG - ACDC and TWD are not for me! 10 votes
    7%

(143 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

There are 62 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 3 years ago

STTNG will have to be sold to get one of these 2 pins. I keep coming back to these over and over, my list of machines I really want is small and these are the top 2. Anyone live near the Milwaukee/Madison area that has both of these? Would love to come play them both. I played TWD Pro at MGC and really like it a lot. I like speed and adrenaline in my pins. Played an ACDC Pro on location that was very dirty, I couldn't hear it at all and I don't think it had leds so my overall impression wasn't great, but it checks off all the boxes of what I like in a pin and MET is my #1 of all time. Me and my wife love music pins. Poll added. If I go for ACDC I will wait until this fall to see what the new one looks like.

#2 3 years ago

Cant go wrong with either of these pins -both are fast and furious and best of all, coded by Lyman Sheats.

#3 3 years ago

Both are really fun games. I have had both. I am getting another AC/DC Premium- its gotta be one of SR best games.

#4 3 years ago

Both are great games, but AC/DC takes it for me. The code is fantastic on both, but I feel like AC/DC has the better layout.

#5 3 years ago

i never thought I would love a game as much as my ACDC (BIB) until the Walking Dead came along

I couldn't pick one over the other...

I enjoy the modes of TWD better...

Theme makes the decision

#6 3 years ago

I was 60/40 leaning towards TWD. Now I'm 50/50 after reading initial responses.

#7 3 years ago

While TWD and Metallica are definitely different style games, they are also both very much typical bash fests. I enjoy walking dead, but I like the change up and flow of acdc better when you already have a bash game like Metallica. That said, either option is great. Why don't you consider Aerosmith? While it has some elements of bashing the toy box, it is just a really fun more family friendly game.

#8 3 years ago

Own both Pros... if I had to pick either Prem it would be TWD.

#9 3 years ago

Jesus this dones't sound like "your decision 2017" at all.

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

While TWD and Metallica are definitely different style games, they are also both very much typical bash fests. I enjoy walking dead, but I like the change up and flow of acdc better when you already have a bash game like Metallica. That said, either option is great. Why don't you consider Aerosmith? While it has some elements of bashing the toy box, it is just a really fun more family friendly game.

MET is bash toy & multiball heavy with great flow. Takes quite a bit to get to any CIU modes and very difficult to reach wizard modes.

TWD is more strategy, with cool modes and many mini wizard modes to play along the way to get to the major wizard modes.

I wouldn't call it a bash fest though. There are 2 bash toys toys to Metallica's 4.

Aerosmith is like Metallica "lite". You play modes from the get go.

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

MET is bash toy & multiball heavy with great flow. Takes quite a bit to get to any CIU modes and very difficult to reach wizard modes.
TWD is more strategy, with cool modes and many mini wizard modes to play along the way to get to the major wizard modes.
I wouldn't call it a bash fest though. There are 2 bash toys toys to Metallica's 4.
Aerosmith is like Metallica "lite". You play modes from the get go.

I can see that. I have limited time on TWD, so my initial feel is bashing the prison and walker. I like TWD, but love Metallica. I would not write off ever owning TWD. I would sooner get AS at this point though. Again, I really don't think there's a wrong pick with any. Op needs to play each and make a family decision.

#12 3 years ago

If you're looking to go new, let me know. I'm sure we can work something out. As a salesman I say choose whatever one you like best. As a pinball guy, I like twd pro over ac/dc premium. Not a fan of the lifting ramp or crossbow on twd premium, or the lack of lower playfield and other toys on the ac/dc pro. Just my two cents.

#13 3 years ago

Just buy a walking dead premium now. That's what I did. AC/DC prices were getting ridiculous. If it turns out you don't like it, then just trade it for an AC DC premium this fall. They will stop making The Walking Dead soon.

#14 3 years ago

I just sold Acdc Prem, thought briefly about TWD, but passed because it is to tough of a pin for me, went and bought AS, want MET now after owning AS and could look at getting an Acdc back with the VE, but a pro model for an AS, MET, Acdc music line up. Love music pins more and more after owning 2 of them.

Does this all make any sense?

So I say Acdc or AS not on the list for fast, adrenaline music pins, but TWD is solid, but hard, also. See if your wife can hang on TWD first perhaps.

Good Choices and good luck!

#15 3 years ago

TWD is the greatest pin ever imo.

Ac/dc is great too, but been there and done that on SM and others.

TWD is a long term keeper because it kicks your ass and makes you want to beat it.

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

TWD is the greatest pin ever imo.
Ac/dc is great too, but been there and done that on SM and others.
TWD is a long term keeper because it kicks your ass and makes you want to beat it.

lol no game has ever had the kind of ruleset that ACDC has. Definitely not SM.

#17 3 years ago

Thanks for all the great opinions. We are a 2 pin house here, not going to change. Right now our MET Pro is a lifetime keeper for us and STTNG is on the chopping block. I've played AS more than TWD and ACDC and I don't really care for AS. I agree with the post that it feels like MET lite. I don't base my decisions on the kids anymore, they don't play the pins anyway, I buy for me and my wife. But I do admit, what has stopped me from TWD is the theme is a little hard core to have around kids, particularly with the DMD animations. Just have to get past that hang up. Wife wants ACDC more, the lack of magnets is a bummer, I like playfield magnets like on MET and TWD.

#18 3 years ago
Quoted from pcprogrammer:

Thanks for all the great opinions. We are a 2 pin house here, not going to change. Right now our MET Pro is a lifetime keeper for us and STTNG is on the chopping block. I've played AS more than TWD and ACDC and I don't really care for AS. I agree with the post that it feels like MET lite. I don't base my decisions on the kids anymore, they don't play the pins anyway, I buy for me and my wife. But I do admit, what has stopped me from TWD is the theme is a little hard core to have around kids, particularly with the DMD animations. Just have to get past that hang up. Wife wants ACDC more, the lack of magnets is a bummer, I like playfield magnets like on MET and TWD.

Agree with the "rough on the eyes" thing. A color DMD LCD set to hi-res helps make the animations "cartoon-like".

I had to do some convincing with my wife as well. It's my 7-yr-old's favorite pin. He knows it's fake stuff.

So far he has not hit the family dog with a crowbar or anything.

#19 3 years ago

Give it a week or two and throw star wars into the mix. I bet that's the way to go. Family friendly, great flow, and magnets like crazy. Just guessing.

#20 3 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

Cant go wrong with either of these pins -both are fast and furious and best of all, coded by Lyman Sheats.

Your first answer was the best answer. Both are great games. I'm leaning a bit towards AC/DC, but that's only because that game is on my mind with this VE. There is no wrong answer though.

#21 3 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

Give it a week or two and throw star wars into the mix. I bet that's the way to go. Family friendly, great flow, and magnets like crazy. Just guessing.

I'm one of the very few that could care less about star wars from a theme perspective. If the gameplay is amazing then I'll consider it. I haven't even seen the newest star wars movie yet, it just doesn't do much for me.

It will be one of the most popular themes stern has ever done though.

#22 3 years ago

Voted TWD. More unique and has more staying power.

#23 3 years ago

I'll be the outlier and say to keep STTNG (especially if you have one in nice condition). Personally, I love the theme, the flow, and it makes great use of the third flipper. Of course, I have a very strong bias towards games with three or more flippers.

#24 3 years ago
Quoted from lyonsden:

I'll be the outlier and say to keep STTNG (especially if you have one in nice condition). Personally, I love the theme, the flow, and it makes great use of the third flipper. Of course, I have a very strong bias towards games with three or more flippers.

Definitely not excited to have to sell my STTNG, I do enjoy it. Mine is a perfect HUO with about 450 total lifetime plays. I don't enjoy it as much as MET Pro though. I have been really drawn to TWD for the past year, ever since I first played it on location. It's such a fun pin, the code gets the adrenaline going.

#25 3 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

I'm hearing July on SW.

#26 3 years ago

I'm one of the very few that could care less about star wars from a theme perspective. If the gameplay is amazing then I'll consider it. I haven't even seen the newest star wars movie yet, it just doesn't do much for me.
It will be one of the most popular themes stern has ever done though.

Im with u and star wars does nothing for me or any of my friends.

#27 3 years ago

TWD all the way

#29 3 years ago

TWD....

#30 3 years ago

Get a 2nd METPRO and play them side x side.

#31 3 years ago

Love my Luci but TWD prem/LE is a masterpiece ! My 2 cents

#32 3 years ago

STTNG and ACDC are very cool games, but i love TWD. Awesome rules, sound and animations.

#33 3 years ago

Never watched a single episode of TWD and was not even interested in one till I played it.

Bought a premium and its is the BEST game I own hands down. Still never watched a single show.

#34 3 years ago

Twd. If you like music there are custom sound chips for Tool, Radio Head, Grateful Dead, 80s Hits, Michae Jackson or create your own custom mix. Then you will have your music and the best game ever coded.

#35 3 years ago

You should talk to Chris at KingPin. He would likely give you a very fair price on your STTNG in trade for whatever you decide.

I personally would take TWD pro over anything on your list.

#36 3 years ago

Is TWD mode based like STTNG or is it more like MET?

#37 3 years ago

Is TWD mode based like STTNG or is it more like MET?

It's Mode based, but there are a lot more things going on than just completing the 5 modes.

Not everything is in these, but you'll get the idea:

http://tiltforums.com/t/walking-dead-wiki-rulesheet/122
http://papa.org/2015/01/01/the-walking-dead-rulesheet/

#38 3 years ago

Imo, since you already have Met....I'd go with twd.

Acdc is an amazing game though.

#39 3 years ago

TWD all the way. I'm considering buying one myself. We had it in leagues but I really miss it now that it's been swapped out and not in the lineup.

I sent Cointaker an email, but haven't heard back. I wonder if they are at a show or something.

We also had AC/DC in our league, which is fun, but I think that TWD beats it by a mile.

#40 3 years ago

TWD not even close with Clelands added sounds to the game.
Awesome package

#41 3 years ago

More like a 2014 decision but no contest - TWD ACDC is an ok game, but TWD is amazing all around.

#42 3 years ago

Just curious if wd pro would hold up as well as the premium vs acdc premium? I really like WD, but not sure if premium price is worth it over a pro.

#43 3 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

Just curious if wd pro would hold up as well as the premium vs acdc premium? I really like WD, but not sure if premium price is worth it over a pro.

We'll worth it , Premium all the way !

#44 3 years ago

Which is your favorite designer?

STTNG--Ritchie
MET--Borg

ACDC--Ritchie
TWD--Borg

Seems you like them both equally.

#45 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Which is your favorite designer?
STTNG--Ritchie
MET--Borg
ACDC--Ritchie
TWD--Borg
Seems you like them both equally.

I think it will come down to the code more than designer. Whichever is more fun codewise between acdc and twd. The playfield design looks fun on both.

#46 3 years ago
Quoted from thunderking50:

We'll worth it , Premium all the way !

I owned a premium and recently put a bunch of plays on a pro, and I think pro all the way.

I hated the BG ramp and Crossbow and they were the main reasons I sold mine. That left ramp is just so much smoother on the pro. I had so much fun playing the pro, I'm on the lookout for a used one nearby.

You can't go wrong with either one though.

TWD all day long over ACDC.

#47 3 years ago
Quoted from BillySastard:

I owned a premium and recently put a bunch of plays on a pro, and I think pro all the way.
I hated the BG ramp and Crossbow and they were the main reasons I sold mine. That left ramp is just so much smoother on the pro. I had so much fun playing the pro, I'm on the lookout for a used one nearby.
You can't go wrong with either one though.
TWD all day long over ACDC.

I think the BG ramp and crossbow are fantastic. It doesn't happen often but getting multiball and using the crossbow at the same time is trippy!

#48 3 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

lol no game has ever had the kind of ruleset that ACDC has. Definitely not SM.

Same Ritchie layout on Ac/dc and SM, which is fine, I like Ac/dc MUCH better than SM.

However, TWD is 10x more fun to play than Ac/dc code wise and for what its worth, Lyman thinks its his greatest achievement to date.

#49 3 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

I REALLY like TWD pro. I think it's super, and I don't wish it were the premium (I say the same about Met pro also).

There's an expression (Einstein said) 'Everything should be as simple as possible but not simpler'.

He was talking about physics/experimentation but I like it to explain why I like some games that maybe have less going on.

The pro doesn't need the crossbow or extra magnet in front of Walker of moving BG ramp with bash toy. Those (to me) almost feel added to make the premium rather than taken away to make the pro.

The rules are practically the same except the Walker Bomb, the crossbow and maybe the spinners scoring strategy.

#50 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Same Ritchie layout on Ac/dc and SM, which is fine, I like Ac/dc MUCH better than SM.
However, TWD is 10x more fun to play than Ac/dc code wise and for what its worth, Lyman thinks its his greatest achievement to date.

Got to agree. I really didn't care for TWD when it came out but after the rules were complete and how much mood and sound effects and the intensity (plus the sound revisions of course) TWD is really in fact one of my top 3 pins (Met/Tron/IM one of those also).

(ACDC premium is also top5 for me) but the rules just don't spike like TWD. ACDc rules are great no doubt but TWD is like a great sandwich + Bacon.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 19.95
There are 62 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside