(Topic ID: 104045)

My dad 'rage quitted' pinball altogether

By robbiedoo

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

PS_0244W_LMAO_t-904.jpg
    drunk-ronald-mcdonald.jpg
    lightning_bolt_guy.jpg
    smartcar.jpg
    Funrise_Electronic_Tabletop_Pinball_Machine2z5Detail.jpg
    There are 130 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
    #101 9 years ago

Have no guilt in taking the machines as a gift. Oftentimes wealthy people justify their purchases by knowing they can share their wealth when the "new" wears off. Many wealthy people enjoy the acquisition more than the having of expensive items.

Thank them gracefully and enjoy the gift. They know you went out of your way to get them set up. Now if you go out and sell those games, I'd probably give the money back to them. But as it is, enjoy them and just remember they are Dad's games as a tribute to his generosity.

Now OTOH, if giving them to you is a tool to be used for future manipulation, then I'd stick with the "No thanks."

#102 9 years ago
    Quoted from alichino:

On the flip side, the other half of the DNA wants him to take them.

more than half the DNA, all mitochondrial DNA is maternal

#103 9 years ago
    Quoted from pinballlife:

I'm not sure either, but I would put anyone who does in the *awesome* category as well. Sounds like I missed one hell of a party.
    Terry.

cool, I'm going for awesome in a few weeks at the open house then!

#104 9 years ago

If they told you to keep them....keep them. Me thinks you are spending WAY too much time debating this with yourself for no apparent reason. There's no moral dilemma here except for the one you're creating. Unless there is more to this story we are not privy to.

If I give my kids a gift......it's a gift. Just a single "thank you" is all I need.

#105 9 years ago
    Quoted from John1210:

We don't really care

Only a true friend would be the honest with me. I think I found my new bestest buddy ever.

Quoted from wdpvideo:

Please do not share what your dad was doing with the machine in his drunken state.

I don't know... people seem to be enjoying the story. But if you want me to delete the thread, I will.

Quoted from Astropin:

Me thinks you are spending WAY too much time debating this with yourself for no apparent reason.

Yup! You're absolutely right.

I let my parents know yesterday that I was taking them, and I moved them from my garage to my basement last night!

#106 9 years ago
    Quoted from calvin12:

more than half the DNA, all mitochondrial DNA is maternal

Where do the midichlorians come from?

#107 9 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Looks like it is a 24hr trip 1-way, so it looks liek these games are going to get a long drive all combined

only about 3 more hours till I arrive. This is a long azz drive!!!

#108 9 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

only about 3 more hours till I arrive. This is a long azz drive!!!

Oh, sorry. I know you called first, but someone else came by and they're sold. Didn't I tell you?

#109 9 years ago
    Quoted from jayhawkai:

Where do the midichlorians come from?

george lucas' stupid head that can't remember the stuff that came later.

#110 9 years ago
    Quoted from robbiedoo:

Oh, sorry. I know you called first, but someone else came by and they're sold. Didn't I tell you?

That is cool. I have your address and will see you there in a few hours. If your not home, then probably better >> I will just pick 3 other games in place of dad's

#111 9 years ago
    Quoted from nasco62:

What a story did you actually show your dad how to remove the glass and fix stuck ball and simple stuff?

Do you really think it would have ended better with a bunch of drunk guys trying to remove the glass from the machine?

#112 9 years ago

Someone should really sue Gottlieb over this.

#113 9 years ago

How do you *even possibly drunk* turn over a pinball machine while trying to recover a stuck ball?

#114 9 years ago
    Quoted from FreeBee:

How do you *even possibly drunk* turn over a pinball machine while trying to recover a stuck ball?

You must have missed my earlier post

Ball gets stuck. They start shaking the machine. No go.

Monty says "I have an idea. You guys lift that side and me and Petey will lift this side. Then, we'll tilt the game towards you two, and the ball will fall out! Eh?"

So, the game gets lifted, tilted, and Robbie's dad slips, and they drop the game on him.

#115 9 years ago

Being that they were all drunk they probably missed that the ball went sdtm and thought it was stuck and that's why it took so much effort to undo it, because it wasn't there in the first place.

#116 9 years ago
    Quoted from FreeBee:

This was my first thought as well...

But then I thought about my friends. And I remembered all of the colossally stupid things I've seen them do over the years. And I thought about about all of the stupid things I've seen them do quite recently as adults. And then all of a sudden it didn't seem that unreasonable...

#117 9 years ago
    Quoted from dmilo:

Do you really think it would have ended better with a bunch of drunk guys trying to remove the glass from the machine?

Yep, may have only smashed the glass and not the whole machine for something as simple as a stuck ball.

#118 9 years ago

OP, don't forget to post pics when you get the games set up at your place.

1 week later
    #119 9 years ago

Isn't what happened to your dad a typical Tuesday night in Canada?

#120 9 years ago

When I first read this story I couldn't figure out how someone could wobble a pinball enough to turn it over.

Two days after that, I was moving a pin with a cart and got it off balance and it wobbled and started turning over on its side. I could not stand the thought of it crashing and destroying itself. I quickly caught it on my right forearm near the flipper button and broke the fall. It was a heavy sucker and it did crash to the floor but with no damage. My forearm took the entire load of the weight and I nearly snapped my arm in two. The pin was on its side on the ground, and my arm was still under it.

I broke the fall of the pin and broke my wrist at the same time! Had to go to the emergency room. During this fiasco I kept thinking of the subject matter of this thread!!!

I also had a quick vision of this on my cemetery headstone: "Killed by a pinball machine" . . . .

#121 9 years ago
    Quoted from Pintucky:

broke the fall of the pin and broke my wrist at the same time!

Yikes! That sucks!

#122 9 years ago

You did the right thing....!!!.... ............Joey

#123 9 years ago
    Quoted from Pintucky:

When I first read this story I couldn't figure out how someone could wobble a pinball enough to turn it over.
    Two days after that, I was moving a pin with a cart and got it off balance and it wobbled and started turning over on its side. I could not stand the thought of it crashing and destroying itself. I quickly caught it on my right forearm near the flipper button and broke the fall. It was a heavy sucker and it did crash to the floor but with no damage. My forearm took the entire load of the weight and I nearly snapped my arm in two. The pin was on its side on the ground, and my arm was still under it.
    I broke the fall of the pin and broke my wrist at the same time! Had to go to the emergency room. During this fiasco I kept thinking of the subject matter of this thread!!!
    I also had a quick vision of this on my cemetery headstone: "Killed by a pinball machine" . . . .

Wow! I'm glad your pin is OK but I'm sorry to hear about your wrist! I hope for a speedy recovery, get well soon!

#124 9 years ago
    Quoted from Pintucky:

Ouch, Mike! Which pin was the culprit? If you had passed, I would make sure your tombstone read:

"Died tragically rescuing his family from the wreckage of a destroyed sinking battleship."

#125 9 years ago
    Quoted from robbiedoo:

Wow! I'm glad your pin is OK but I'm sorry to hear about your wrist! I hope for a speedy recovery, get well soon!

I really appreciate those words, but it sounds much worse than it really is. At first it hurt like hell, and then it swelled up with a knot on my wrist the size of a golf ball. Bright red under my skin as if the blood was ready to burst out. Got ugly . . . black and green and purple. But an hour later it barely hurt. My daughter, the nurse, insisted I go have an x-ray. The doc said it was a very, very tiny break and all he did was put a splint on it. I took that off the next day. I have nearly 100% use of my hand and no pain . . . unless it gets hit on that spot or I press hard on it. You can still see the knot and the bruising. I figure in another two weeks I'll never know it happened. You almost made me feel guilty with your concern. The way I wrote that up sounded like it was really bad. I'm gonna live!
    Mike

#126 9 years ago
    Quoted from jayhawkai:

Ouch, Mike! Which pin was the culprit? If you had passed, I would make sure your tombstone read:

"Died tragically rescuing his family from the wreckage of a destroyed sinking battleship."

I think that sounds a lot more heroic than my original epitaph!

It was my Monopoly pin. My 90 year old mother wanted a pin in her living room. She LOVES pinball.

You know how long my driveway is. Turn left at the end (not toward town) and go about 200 yards and there is mom's house. Well, I decided I would put it on my pinball cart and just slowly drag it over there. It was a nice sunny day and I thought it would be a hoot taking that pin down the road and the neighbors seeing it. I was looking forward to the questions and probably some laughing.

(For those reading this and wondering how I could pull a pinball on a roadway . . . we live on a short, dead-end, blacktopped rural road. Not much traffic. It's 'farm country' and everyone knows everybody.)

What happened was, when I came out of the door of the Man Cave, I had that one step to take it down from. I forgot about that big pneumatic box under it and it caught on the concrete step as I was bringing the front wheels down. That thing started wobbling so quickly, I had no recourse but to "shield it with my body". Like falling on a hand grenade to save a buddy!

I want you to know that the pin didn't get a scratch on it and when I got it to mom's (the next day), I plugged it in and it played perfectly. I was lucky in that regard. It tickles me to death to walk in her house and see her on a stool flipping away. She is a widow and she said it gives her something to do. She keeps a record of her high score on a scratch piece of paper so that each day she has a 'goal' to reach.

#127 9 years ago

maybe AFM....but I ain't sacraficing a limb for monopoly....

#128 9 years ago
    Quoted from jayhawkai:

Good story, but your dad sounds like an idiot.

At the very least, his friends are complete jerkoffs.

#129 9 years ago
    Quoted from pinball_keefer:

Stories like this are just going to lead to Lightning Bolt Guy showing up on pins!lightning_bolt_guy.jpg 14 KB

Is the lightning bolt guy being cock-blocked from having sex with that sexy machine??

#130 9 years ago
    Quoted from calvin12:

cool, I'm going for awesome in a few weeks at the open house then!

I know you are kidding but it was HIS game at HIS party. That makes it awesome. I don't think tipping over someone else's game at someone else's party would be all that awesome.
    Terry.

There are 130 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-dad-rage-quitted-pinball-altogether/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.