(Topic ID: 104045)

My dad 'rage quitted' pinball altogether

By robbiedoo

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

PS_0244W_LMAO_t-904.jpg
    drunk-ronald-mcdonald.jpg
    lightning_bolt_guy.jpg
    smartcar.jpg
    Funrise_Electronic_Tabletop_Pinball_Machine2z5Detail.jpg

There are 130 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 9 years ago

3 weeks ago my dad decided that he wanted pinball machines. He never had them or played much (maybe at all) before, but he wanted them. For this story it helps to know that he's pretty well off, I mean, he's known to impulse buy new cars on his lunch break.

So, he asks me to bring him some down. I go to a local seller I frequent, and bought him an Addams Family and a BSD. I had planned to trade my Tee'd Off for a STTNG project, but my father said to sell him Tee'd Off... so he bought that one too. It took 2 trips totaling 12 hours driving time and likely another 12 hours moving, loading, unloading and setting them all up.

My brother calls the DAY AFTER I set them all up for him: 'Dad broke the pinball machine'.

It turned out that my father had a party, and a ball got stuck on Tee'd Off. I'm not sure where, when I had it, it was flawless (it was a TNT amusements restoration, so it was in perfect shape), but still, it happens. I guess some people were taking 'drunken' turns shaking/rocking the pin to get it unstuck... and it fell over.

It landed on my dad (edit: he actually wasn't the one rocking it), the playfield glass shattered, the topper went flying off, god knows what else happened on the inside. Lucky for him, he only bruised his leg.

Dad calls me: "I don't want these anymore, take them away". Well, it was more like, "Your mom and I talked, and she hated these to begin with, so we think it would be better if you took them".

Another 12 hour day, and they're no longer in his house.

#2 9 years ago

Good story, but your dad sounds like an idiot.

#3 9 years ago

So are they going to your house?

#4 9 years ago

Hey thanks jay. I appreciate that.

#5 9 years ago
    Quoted from jayhawkai:

Good story, but your dad sounds like an idiot.

I was going to say the opposite, your Dad sounds awesome.

#6 9 years ago
    Quoted from robbiedoo:

It landed on my dad, the playfield glass shattered, the topper went flying off, god knows what else happened on the inside. Lucky for him, he only bruised his leg.

Hope he's doing ok.
    -mof

#7 9 years ago
    Quoted from robbiedoo:

I guess some people were taking 'drunken' turns shaking/rocking the pin to get it unstuck... and it fell over.

How the hell do you manage to accidentally knock over a pinball machine?

#8 9 years ago

At least it's a true story for a change.

#9 9 years ago

You shoulda showed him how to remove the glass before you left. Your dads friends sound like fun.

#10 9 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

Superpowers from being "drunken"

#11 9 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

Have almost done it with my lift table, but other than that... what Mez said. lol.

#12 9 years ago

so you got 3 new games for free?

sounds like a good deal for a bunch of driving
    Your pops sounds like a party animal!

#13 9 years ago

Yea, I think it got a little rowdy... I wasn't there but I was in a continuous state of facepalm for the next 24 hours.

To be fair, my mom hated the idea of having them to begin with, so I think this event just tipped the decision in her favor.

I think rage quit was the improper term to use, more accurate would have been changed his mind. I didn't think the story portrayed him in a particularly bad light, I guess I was wrong.

#14 9 years ago

Should have "taken" the machines off his hands....and put in your collection If he's well off, the money means nothing

#15 9 years ago

Sounds like something I would do, I always liked Teed off because of the animation of the player throwing his clubs over the cliff into the ocean. Ive replaced a few sets myself for similar acts.

#16 9 years ago
    Quoted from mof:

Hope he's doing ok.

He's fine. Just a bruise, and he was able to walk skip and jump all just fine. Thanks.

Quoted from Captive_Ball:

Should have "taken" the machines off his hands...

Yea, I left that part out. He and my mother have 'suggested' that I keep them, the Jury's still out on that though. I feel guilty doing it, though the ~25 hours of work is the other half of my own 'in-mind' debate.

Post edited by robbiedoo: Clarification

#17 9 years ago

it is a great story ! .. made me chuckle I don't know why I love reading crazy pinball related stories so much but I just do

#18 9 years ago

Seems kinda cold to just take them from your father. The man who provided half the DNA that provided you life.
    I would suggest a gift that he could really use.
    Like a kegerator, he seems to like getting drunk with his buddies.

Oh yeah, be sure to send him the bill for the repairs to your Tee'd Off. You can always blame the Gopher!

#19 9 years ago

Sounds like a heck of a party!

#20 9 years ago
    Quoted from BMHouze:

Seems kinda cold to just take them

That's my main sticking point too.

Every time I talk to may parents it's "Have you put them in your game room yet?".

They've made it very clear that they want me to take them, and they sound very sincere but I just feel way too bad doing it.

There's only so much I can resist though, I think I might cave. EDIT: And then I feel, "there's no way that I can."

#21 9 years ago

Sounds like you need to talk him into trying out a few more machines, haha.

#22 9 years ago

I'd take em' in a heartbeat!

#23 9 years ago

I guess it would have been ironic if the attacking pin had been:

Rescue 911
    or
    Baywatch

Damn good thing it wasn't Rudy...

-mof

#24 9 years ago

I can't help but to think this whole thing could have been avoided if I just would have gotten him a wide body.

#25 9 years ago

If you had brought him some nice EMs, he would probably be asking for more.

#26 9 years ago
    Quoted from robbiedoo:

That's my main sticking point too.
    Every time I talk to may parents it's "Have you put them in your game room yet?".
    They've made it very clear that they want me to take them, and they sound very sincere but I just feel way too bad doing it.
    There's only so much I can resist though, I think I might cave. EDIT: And then I feel, "there's no way that I can."

I wouldn't feel too bad.
    You put in the effort to make it happen and did all the legwork, both ways.
    If he's the kind of guy to buy a new car on his lunch break, I don't think you should worry too much about a couple silly old pinball machines.

#27 9 years ago

Glad it wasn't on location. Some op would be getting sued right now. From incidents that never happen ?

LTG : )™

#28 9 years ago

I can hear it 'I'll show you tee'd off!!!'. Crash....

#29 9 years ago
    Quoted from robbiedoo:

Yea, I left that part out. He and my mother have 'suggested' that I keep them, the Jury's still out on that though. I feel guilty doing it, though the ~25 hours of work is the other half of my own 'in-mind' debate.
    Post edited by robbiedoo: Clarification

You put in the time...so they are earned...at nice hourly rate!

#30 9 years ago

Should have given him the keys.

#31 9 years ago

You know, I'd probably blame the rowdy party, rather than the pinball machine...

#32 9 years ago
    Quoted from robbiedoo:

my father had a party, . . . guess some people were taking 'drunken' turns

"wish I were closer"

#33 9 years ago

I don't know your family. But if my dad offered me some free pinballs I would accept them and find a few ways to thank him. And if he ever wanted one back, no problem.

#34 9 years ago
    Quoted from robbiedoo:

People were taking turns shaking/rocking the pin and it fell over.

Sounds like the tilt mechanism was on too easy a setting. Sorry about your dad getting hurt.

#35 9 years ago

If you keep them, he can still come play them.

#36 9 years ago

I feel strongly both ways. Your Dad is an awesome idiot

If only there were video to post on Youtube: "How to free up stuck ball on pinball playfield".

#37 9 years ago

Take them and give them a big hug... If he's not hurting financially then what's the big deal?

#38 9 years ago

If Dad is THAT "well to do", then what does he care that you own them? Keep them in payment for all of the work you did (and will do fixing the one).

#39 9 years ago
    Quoted from aobrien5:

If you keep them, he can still come play them.

Have him come to play them sober and no friends with.

#40 9 years ago

Every time I got close to accepting them, I thought to myself "You're making up reasons to make it ok to take them: He gave them to you, He's very well off, Neither of them want them, You did all that work"

I felt like I was just making excuses to be ok with it, but it seems most people here are validating my own thoughts.

And it's absolutely correct that he can come play them whenever, and if he ever wanted them back he could have them.

I think I just added 2 pins to my collection. But somehow I still feel guilty.

Quoted from LTG:

Have him come to play them sober and no friends with.

Amen to that.

#41 9 years ago

Sounds like your only getting 2 1/2 machines back anyway.. keep them!

#42 9 years ago

I will be happy to take them guilt free, just say the word

#43 9 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I will be happy to take them guilt free, just say the word

You just solved all my problems!

#44 9 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

just say the word

Word.

Disclaimer : Just trying to help you.

#45 9 years ago
    Quoted from robbiedoo:

You just solved all my problems!

Looks like it is a 24hr trip 1-way, so it looks liek these games are going to get a long drive all combined

#46 9 years ago

Seems he just had a crazy night and one bad experience. Wait a few days and make him play a few games with just you two. But maybe with the legs bolted to the floor this time? lol

#47 9 years ago

Sounds like a party I would have liked to be at. Thanks for the story, it made me smile.

#48 9 years ago

This story only makes sense if these were the type of pinball machines we're talking about...
    Funrise_Electronic_Tabletop_Pinball_Machine2z5Detail.jpgFunrise_Electronic_Tabletop_Pinball_Machine2z5Detail.jpg

#49 9 years ago

Or sterns "the pin" or whatever the half size home use pins are called.

#50 9 years ago

You know this wasn't a case of just "overshaking". I am pretty sure it started out with one of them having a "good idea": "Let's four of us pick it up and tip it over till the ball gets loose!"

And I keep on laughing when I think this story was written in reverse. Usually, it would be the kids having a party in their Dad's basement and one of them gets the "good idea"...

There are 130 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-dad-rage-quitted-pinball-altogether and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.